PDA

View Full Version : Newb Bear Hunter! Any tips?

Good Old Outdoors
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Hey Everyone, I am interesting in hunting Black bear but know SFA about it! If you guys have any tips or info let me know please! I appreciate it!

GOO

91Jason91
01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Make sure you dont shoot someones black lab =P

pnbrock
01-10-2012, 11:41 PM
get them before they get you!!!!

TheProvider
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
First off keep in mind shooting a sow with cubs is illegal. So is baiting. Are you going out in the spring or fall? Spring- skunk cabbage and fresh grass is key. Keep in mind the rut is in the spring so boars will be cruising. Old deactivated logging roads make for great spots to start looking. Fall- its all about the berries

Their coats will get alot better once their out of the den for a few weeks. Don't hesitate to eat the meat. Bear meat is my favorite and it doesn't all have to go to sausage, makes great steaks and roasts.

91Jason91
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Best place ever to get a bear is go to terrace and Just walk down the side of the river you will get a monster lol

Good Old Outdoors
01-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Yeah I have heard of people not taking to time to watch them, then shoot the sow. Pretty amature if ou ask me. I might be a newb but i have common sense lol. I was thinking the spring, but i most likely will be busy so the fall it is!

How far away should i be in reference to dumps? and the kkey feature to look for a decent sized bear is the gap between the ears right?

First off keep in mind shooting a sow with cubs is illegal. So is baiting. Are you going out in the spring or fall? Spring- skunk cabbage and fresh grass is key. Keep in mind the rut is in the spring so boars will be cruising. Old deactivated logging roads make for great spots to start looking. Fall- its all about the berries

Their coats will get alot better once their out of the den for a few weeks. Don't hesitate to eat the meat. Bear meat is my favorite and it doesn't all have to go to sausage, makes great steaks and roasts.

Good Old Outdoors
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
My dad lives in Terrace and tells me that he always saw them, he isnt much of a bear hunter though

r106
01-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Look for areas that greening up first - pipelines, powerlines, side of old logging roads or clear cuts. Don't be trigger happy watch it for as long as you can to make sure there are no cubs.

A friend and I watched a bear in a wide open area feed for almost 10 min and we were convinced it was alone. We were close to making the shot, then 2 little ones came bouncing out from behind a little hill 30 yards away. Be patiant

killer
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
For spring bears find the greenest area and you will find the bears,we drive the roads and cover lots of area .

TheProvider
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Yeah I have heard of people not taking to time to watch them, then shoot the sow. Pretty amature if ou ask me. I might be a newb but i have common sense lol. I was thinking the spring, but i most likely will be busy so the fall it is!

How far away should i be in reference to dumps? and the kkey feature to look for a decent sized bear is the gap between the ears right?

I'd stay as far away from dumps as possible. A lot of people have problems judging bears. The more you see and watch the easier it'll be to tell. What I look for is a big old head, and if this makes sense to you " a teenager wearing baggy pants". You know how they kinda woddle so there pants wont fall off. Thier body from head to toe should look like one big blob. Rather than looking like a snout, head, neck, legs and body. If there legs and snout looks long then its normally a smaller bear.

However it is your first bear so any bear is good. Just keep in mind its BC and theres alot of pumpkin heads out there eith their belly's almost dragging on the ground.

If your first instinct is you wanna shoot it then shoot it. If your hymming and hawwing wether or not its a "shooter" then most likely its not. Just go have fun

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Sounds good, as for being patient, no worries there. I found a poached sow about 3 years ago out near falkland, my dad and i walked up on her and saw 2 cubs hanging close by, we left them alone and called the CO, last i heard they captured the cubs, let them grow a bit and released them back out in the hills. That will never be me shooting a sow.

Tikka270wsm
01-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Like The Provider said, in the spring, find lush grass and skunk cabbage and you'll find bears. Only thing I can add is once you find a bear that is legal and is a shooter, make your first shot count and keep shooting until he's dead. I like to put the first shot through the lungs via the back of the shoulder blade. By smashing the back of the shoulder blade, your bullets impact will drive bone fragments through the lungs as well as the bullet itself. Reload quickly after the shot and if he's still moving, by all means, keep shooting. It's the shits having a big bear go from a spot that is an easy drag to dragging 300 plus pounds of dead weight out of a hell hole. Even worse is having to go after a bear that could possibly be wounded and very much alive and pissed off so make that first shot count. I guess that should be said for hunting in general but especially when hunting dangerous game.

If you are butchering your own, it's a good idea to trim as much fat off as possible. The flavour of bear fat isn't appealing to myself as well as many I've spoke with. When making your burger, add pork fat to it or it can be tuff. Good luck this spring.

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the advice Provider, I think i know the area i want to hunt now. I watched a Big fat bear one time grazing, he was literally a pumpkin. Must have been a decent sized bear! I will keep that in mind when i go out! Cheers.

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks Tikka, That was my next question. And also is gutting, skinning and hanging much different then a deer, do the same general principles apply?

Like The Provider said, in the spring, find lush grass and skunk cabbage and you'll find bears. Only thing I can add is once you find a bear that is legal and is a shooter, make your first shot count and keep shooting until he's dead. I like to put the first shot through the lungs via the back of the shoulder blade. By smashing the back of the shoulder blade, your bullets impact will drive bone fragments through the lungs as well as the bullet itself. Reload quickly after the shot and if he's still moving, by all means, keep shooting. It's the shits having a big bear go from a spot that is an easy drag to dragging 300 plus pounds of dead weight out of a hell hole. Even worse is having to go after a bear that could possibly be wounded and very much alive and pissed off so make that first shot count. I guess that should be said for hunting in general but especially when hunting dangerous game.

If you are butchering your own, it's a good idea to trim as much fat off as possible. The flavour of bear fat isn't appealing to myself as well as many I've spoke with. When making your burger, add pork fat to it or it can be tuff. Good luck this spring.

SimilkameenSlayer
01-11-2012, 12:20 AM
salmon bears don't taste good.

apple bears taste the best.

91Jason91
01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
salmon bears don't taste good.

apple bears taste the best.
Lol i take it you know your bears alot

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Hey Everyone, I am interesting in hunting Black bear but know SFA about it! If you guys have any tips or info let me know please! I appreciate it!

GOO

Several years ago I was in your shoes and our members responded.

Take a look.
Lottsa good info. :wink:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10788

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Several years ago I was in your shoes and our members responded.

Take a look.
Lottsa good info. :wink:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10788

For some reason,,,, the thread is gone. :confused:

Sorry. :sad:

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah, i checked it out too. Oh well, Im sure the guys here will give me roughly the same info they told you! Lots of good info so far

Tikka270wsm
01-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Pretty much the same for the gutting side of it. If you are wanting a rug done with your bear there is a certain way to make your cuts to maximize the hide. Kinda hard to explain by typing and for me as it was something I had to watch to learn myself. i rugged my first bear I ever shot and got a buddy to skin it for me as he had alot of experience. He actually contacted a local taxidermist who was pleased to teach him the proper method. Might be a good thing to do in your case as well if you have one close by and you are serious about getting nice rug put on your wall.

Hunting in the spring sometimes brings warm weather too. Get the hide off as soon as possible and get the meat cooled. I throw the quarters and backstraps in the fridge on a towel and keep flipping while replacing the towel every day for 3-4 days. The meat will tack up nicely and will be easier to butcher. Or you can take it directly to the butcher shop once the hide is off where he can hang it in the cooler. Hope some of this helps. Feel free to PM me whenever or if you have any questions. I wouldn't say I'm an expert or anything but have taken quite a few over the years and have butchered them all myself. There are alot of guys on this site that have very good advice as well. Alot of it repetitive but very sound advice indeed. That's what makes HBC so great.

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Yeah i might go check out the taxidermist and see what he says, Im pretty sure i have a rough idea how to skin it maximizing the hide, but i will ask anyway.

Thanks again Tikka, If i have any questions that havent been answered i will be sure to PM you.

A buddy and i have been thinking of making a cooler room in his garage and pumping a couple ACs in there for hanging. He is a brand new hunter, and i have been hunting since i could hold a rifle with my dad. When it comes to deer and moose Im confident but bear is a whole new rodeo for me, thats why i asked. Im new to this site and i love it already, good people and good info.

Tikka270wsm
01-11-2012, 01:13 AM
No problem, glad to help a fellow hunter. That cooler in the garage idea is a good one for sure. That is something I might have to ask your advice on when you get yours sorted out. Not too sure how many more times the wife will let me fill up "HER" fridge with bear meat.LOL

ryanb
01-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Pretty simple really. Mid-late may, warm sunny afternoons, drive around on logging roads until you see a bear, if it's worthy, shoot it. Average 5-6 bear sightings a day using this method. No interest in bear hunting anymore, they are not very appetizing for me and offer little challenge.

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 01:57 AM
My .2 cents for a Spring Trophy Hunt.

Drive around and LOOK at the tracks of bears that you have pushed. If you can find a front paw that is 5"s wide or better, chances are he's 6 feet or better (nose - tail). Then leave him be and start looking for a vantage point that lets you get a GOOD view of the road system.

Come back the next day and GLASS for him - I have found dominant bears to be pretty predictable in their routine, visiting same areas at nearly the same time each day. Depending on how big their territory is, it may take a couple days for him to show up again - In the meantime, learn his scat, follow his scat. Try to figure out his routes and gain better advantage opportunities. Learning the daily breeze is a no-brainer.

And when it all comes together, try and shoot him on the high side of the road - Dragging a 400lb'r uphill, SUCKS. :wink: :wink:

hunter1947
01-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Head out in Late April and look in slashes mid May is the best time for spotting bears look in these slashes from noon on into the late evening you will find bears ,make sure when you do see a black to steady it for a short time to make sure that the bear is not a sow with cubs ,good luck..

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 02:28 AM
No problem, glad to help a fellow hunter. That cooler in the garage idea is a good one for sure. That is something I might have to ask your advice on when you get yours sorted out. Not too sure how many more times the wife will let me fill up "HER" fridge with bear meat.LOL

My dad showed me how to do it when i still lived at home, make 2 or 3, 2x4 frame walls insulate them with either fiberglass(got to staple a plastic up to keep fibers from getting on the meat) or foam panel insulation(best choice), plywood, or clear plastic weatherguard on the outside, can either wedge them and screw into the studs on the ceiling, or just wedge it, top and bottom or screw into the concrete or whatever flooring u have. Once the 3 walls are up make a 4th with a door or just attach hindges to a frame wall already installed and slap on a sheep of plywood as a door, cut out a hole to fit an AC or 2 into the wall on the bottom and you are good to go! Doesnt have to be pretty, just needs to be cold. Hope this gives you an idea

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 02:33 AM

My dad showed me how to do it when i still lived at home, make 2 or 3, 2x4 frame walls insulate them with either fiberglass(got to staple a plastic up to keep fibers from getting on the meat) or foam panel insulation(best choice), plywood, or clear plastic weatherguard on the outside, can either wedge them and screw into the studs on the ceiling, or just wedge it, top and bottom or screw into the concrete or whatever flooring u have. Once the 3 walls are up make a 4th with a door or just attach hindges to a frame wall already installed and slap on a sheep of plywood as a door, cut out a hole to fit an AC or 2 into the wall on the bottom and you are good to go! Doesnt have to be pretty, just needs to be cold. Hope this gives you an idea

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 02:38 AM
why did that post twice? hmm

Mr Dean and Hunter, Thanks for the info

I will be sure to put it to good use! My buddy is new to bear as well and i know he appreciates the info as well!

hunter1947
01-11-2012, 02:59 AM
why did that post twice? hmm

Mr Dean and Hunter, Thanks for the info

I will be sure to put it to good use! My buddy is new to bear as well and i know he appreciates the info as well!

Don't worry about it the mods will look after it..

SimilkameenSlayer
01-11-2012, 06:19 AM
bears love to eat dandelions, it's one of there favorite vegetables. find the dandelions find the bears.

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 07:37 AM
sounds good! Thanks for the info

srupp
01-11-2012, 08:24 AM
hmmm for bears its not always about the quantity of grass and greens its also about the quality..the fresher slightly still pale soft grass is a delicacy as well as being more nutricious...bears activly seek this out..for blacks i look along trails and rds for tracks..and even glass the snow for bears coming down..by 3 pm Im glassing a favorite spot till past dark..when back to camp...

skinning 4 finger widthsa head of the anus..straight accross to center of rear pads= best use of hide...

Srr

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Clover = Bear Candy.

BearStump
01-11-2012, 10:44 AM
This doesn't work worth a damn, so dont waste your time trying to pack one out like this.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/BearStumper/PA060595.jpg

Good Old Outdoors
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Haha nice, I was thinking more on the lines of dragging........ But thanks lol i'll keep that in mind.

MikeH
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Quarter it! lol.

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Bears are the IDEAL candidate for dressing, using the 'gutless method'.
Go to work on 'em where they drop, even if it's in the middle of the road.

warnniklz
01-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Bear hunting is great because you don't have to get up at o dark thirty to go out. I tend to road hunt bears to cover a larger territory.

A trick to not getting trigger happy is to go out hung over. That way you won't want to hear your rifle go off. And if you don't want to hear your rifle go off, you'll make damn sure it's a shooter.

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Bear hunting is great because you don't have to get up at o dark thirty to go out. I tend to road hunt bears to cover a larger territory.

A trick to not getting trigger happy is to go out hung over. That way you won't want to hear your rifle go off. And if you don't want to hear your rifle go off, you'll make damn sure it's a shooter.

Drink all night.
Think about going out @ 9am.

By 10 or 11, you *should* be hunting for the remainder of the day.

hunterdon
01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Although I've taken many bears over the years, I won't add to any of the good info you've already received except this.
What is your goal? Trophy of good eating? If it's good eating then go for a younger bear, not a big one. In my opinion, September bear is the best eating, as they have been feeding mostly on berries for the last good while. If it's a trophy, that is a large head, then either spring or fall is good. If It's a nice hide, then spring is definitely best, especially early spring before they start to rub and wear patches on their hides.
Good hunting!

warnniklz
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Drink all night.
Think about going out @ 9am.

By 10 or 11, you *should* be hunting for the remainder of the day.

You know it buddy. The only hard part is if you're out with a couple buddies you tend to argue who shoots first. no one seem to want to shoot first.

CanuckShooter
01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Always pack lots of bullets, there is nothing worse than having to track a wounded bear with an empty gun and only your knife to dispatch it with!!

Always hunt bears with a short and fat hunting buddy, so if your attacked you can always outrun him..!!

tikkatac
01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Damn it, all this talk about bear hunting gets me all antsy in my pantsy... It's only mid Jan and already I'm getting impatient for spring Blackies and just maybe a grizz if I'm lucky..

Good luck and strait shootin.

Good Old Outdoors
01-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all your help! The info provided should be more then enough for me to down a bear this spring! I appreciate it a lot! I will post pics of my first bear when i get it!

GOO

srupp
01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
one thing I was thinking about..if you can find SMALL unused minor trails leading back to logging landings that dead end..off the main haul rd..these when waalked can be superb locations especially that greened up logging landing off secluded by itself...can be found on Google erath opr just by looking for quiet out of the way places..

Steven

walks with deer
01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Focus on shot placement and caliber.

If you can use 30cal as a minumum and back of shoulder blades\lungs is great pull up a bear vital and bone chart no were you are aiming from any angle and at what.(if not going for a rug close range head shots from a marksman work great.)

with the bow top of heart bottom of lungs is effeceint hit high or back and you probably will never see him again they are tough and do n ot bleed very much in the spring.

Bud
01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I'
ve got one for ya, small lookin ears = big head, big head = big bear. and if your at close range and can help it, don't shoot him straight on (unless he is after your ass,then you have no choice) because he will usually start to run in the direction he is pointing in when he get hit

Rainsford
01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Some solid advice in these posts

TheProvider
01-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Don't be afraid to go out early morning specially on warm sunny days