PDA

View Full Version : Trade thinhorn sheep hunting spots for bighorn hunting spots.

squeege
01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
So my goal is to get a BC slam one day and on my way with a half slam so far with one dall and one stone. So living in the north of BC and being an avid sheep hunter i was hoping that someone would be willing to trade some secret bighorn spots for secret thinhorn spots. No BS please (if thats possible).

kebes
01-10-2012, 08:38 PM
The kootenays have bighorn sheep. You can pm your spots now. :-)

bearhunter338-06
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Careful your treading on thin water............Someone will call it illegal guiding...............:-)

BlacktailStalker
01-10-2012, 08:59 PM
No they wont, he isn't accompanying anyone.
Wish I knew a GOOD spot for either species, cant help ya since you reqested no b.s lol
Good luck with the slam !

The Dude
01-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Even if he were to hunt together, it's no different from me showing my buddy a good Mulie spot, then we hunt his good Whitie spot. As long as no compensation is offered, where's the law being broken?

2x4x16
01-10-2012, 09:21 PM
You just may the man I'm looking for! If you're intrested in the 3/4 curl draw in region 3, it's a heck of a lot easier yet!

squeege
01-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Sorry I should have been a little clearer. Im looking for people that have been successful on a bighorn hunt (pics) and have coordinates and some intel on the area. I will trade for the same info for Dall and Stone (check my gallery). I prefer hiking / fly in and I am not a fan of chasing horses 3 times a night in bear country (been dare done dat) and obviously away from the crowds. May be dreaming I know....

Ive been on a bighorn hunt before around Sparwood and was amazed at how many people there are hunting down south. Was not successful and did not even see a ram larger than half curl.

01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Good luck getting info. on Bighorn hunting locations, epecially in a GOS area.

BCbillies
01-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Looks like squeege and I are on the same mission! :) My buddy in the EK is my new best friend with some dandy RM & Calis on the wall.

bighornbob
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Looks like squeege and I are on the same mission! :) My buddy in the EK is my new best friend with some dandy RM & Calis on the wall.

I am the opposite of you and squeege as I have both a decent Rocky and Cali on the wall and now need a Stone and dall. I have already told the wife I am booked the first 2 weeks of August for the next 10 years or so.

The problem you both are going to find is that bighorn hunting is a lot different then thinhorn hunting. Not only do you need to know where to look but you also need to have a lot of luck on your side. My uncle (who has taken 4 Rockies out of the Koots) would take me sheep hunting for a week and we would not even see a ram sometimes. And this was checking out 4-5 good spots where he had taken rams or knew of guys who had taken rams there. It can really be hit or miss, with the miss coming up 99% of the time for a number of reasons. Some of these are:
1)local pressure (I have seen numerous guys glassing the same hill, be it in the koots or at Spences Bridge),
2)guide outfitters (there may only be 2 bands of rams in an outfitters area and he may be watching the sheep all summer and pushing them into some hole that only he knows about),
3)some bands may not have a legal ram in it every year.

All the sheep down here are watched throughout the year so guys know what rams are where and who they generally hang with etc. And these guys only have a slim chance of harvesting one. Where as up north 95% of the sheep only see a person from July 25- Oct 30.

Regardless of success you are still sheep hunting and in the mountains and that whats it all about. Either you or squeege can PM me and we can talk. For the rest of you that want bighorn info head to Spences bridge and head up the Muskwa River for Stones:):):)

BHB

srupp
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
hmmm with 2 calies one very decent, and a stone pretty decent I am now in the rocky mountain bighorn and dall sheep 1/2 of things..

calies sure have plunged that being said I did see 3 very surprising rams this week along the river...all shooters and even braggers...

my next step has been taken...LEH for the Tat again... as well as EK?? or Spenses... 3 years spotting Spenses has not revealed any shooters let along wall hangers...we did see a band of rams raising hell running steeply down hill on a recent trip through spenses bridge..Ok it WAS in 2011 and actually Susan saw them first..lol..gonna be intersting fer sure..lol

Steven

Rodd
01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Ya Bighorn hunting is far, far different than your thinhorn northern areas! Have hunted the Kootenays, Spences, Ashnola, Salmo... Been with my Dad on each and everyone of his successful hunts(Has his BC Slam)Much more intense pressure.. at times for Bighorns, but there are a few areas that can be overlooked that do produce(although not every trip). I have been hunting Bighorns for 30years and have been on many successful hunts, although never myself been successful for one reason or another, been into sheep lots but just never seems to work out in my favour.. Having said that I've enjoyed every minute of every hunt, successful or not. I've been on two trips up north for stones with 4 tags and came home with 4 Rams...All off from the highway, no fly-ins, one backpack, and one Horse trip. So you northern guys sure do have it good up there! Just way more numbers of sheep up there than your typical Bighorn areas. Almost.. seemed easy compared to Bighorns here. So don't expect to get one every trip, or even see a legal one, even with the best honey holes, for bighorns, they just don't come easy... But you won't get one if you don't keep trying. I know a couple guys that have taken Bighorns in the area east of McBride on Fly-in trips, although not huge Rams score wise they were NICE... Maybe the closest option for you... IMHO

squeege
01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
hmmm with 2 calies one very decent, and a stone pretty decent I am now in the rocky mountain bighorn and dall sheep 1/2 of things..

calies sure have plunged that being said I did see 3 very surprising rams this week along the river...all shooters and even braggers...

my next step has been taken...LEH for the Tat again... as well as EK?? or Spenses... 3 years spotting Spenses has not revealed any shooters let along wall hangers...we did see a band of rams raising hell running steeply down hill on a recent trip through spenses bridge..Ok it WAS in 2011 and actually Susan saw them first..lol..gonna be intersting fer sure..lol

Steven

Like I said I would prefer not to see any sheep and also not another human than see sheep and other guys look at them too. I can provide you with coordinates for a Dall Area is you have a good cali coordinates.

squeege
01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Ya Bighorn hunting is far, far different than your thinhorn northern areas! Have hunted the Kootenays, Spences, Ashnola, Salmo... Been with my Dad on each and everyone of his successful hunts(Has his BC Slam)Much more intense pressure.. at times for Bighorns, but there are a few areas that can be overlooked that do produce(although not every trip). I have been hunting Bighorns for 30years and have been on many successful hunts, although never myself been successful for one reason or another, been into sheep lots but just never seems to work out in my favour.. Having said that I've enjoyed every minute of every hunt, successful or not. I've been on two trips up north for stones with 4 tags and came home with 4 Rams...All off from the highway, no fly-ins, one backpack, and one Horse trip. So you northern guys sure do have it good up there! Just way more numbers of sheep up there than your typical Bighorn areas. Almost.. seemed easy compared to Bighorns here. So don't expect to get one every trip, or even see a legal one, even with the best honey holes, for bighorns, they just don't come easy... But you won't get one if you don't keep trying. I know a couple guys that have taken Bighorns in the area east of McBride on Fly-in trips, although not huge Rams score wise they were NICE... Maybe the closest option for you... IMHO

I kind of figured that out the first trip for Bighorns and talking with a buddy of mine that lived in Sparwood way back. He and his brothers and Dad got a few good Rockies north of Sparwood. They seem to be a cross between hunting mule deer and stone sheep.

GoatGuy
01-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Kakwa's probably the best bet.

Down south can be tough. There aren't too many guys that consistently harvest or see legal rams in the EK and the guys with 'honey holes' are pretty tight-lipped.