PDA

View Full Version : Head Shots ON Grizz

Murder
10-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I have never hunted grizz, and have been told by more than one guy, that you can't shoot a grizzly in the head and penetrate the skull. They have said the bullet will glance/ricochett off. Are these guys uninformed or is this true depending on caliber. Will my 7mm rem mag do it with 175's? I have shot through half inch steel plating at 100 yards with this gun, and I cannot fathom anything made of bone stopping it, other than a shot at an extreme angle maybe. What do you guys think/know?

bighornbob
10-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Unless it was an extreme angle then yes it would glance off. Other then that your 7mm will punch a hole through both sides quite easily. Not condoning head shots on grizz but if push came to shove the 7mm would drop him on the spot if shot in the head.

BHB

Gateholio
10-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I have never hunted grizz, and have been told by more than one guy, that you can't shoot a grizzly in the head and penetrate the skull. They have said the bullet will glance/ricochett off. Are these guys uninformed or is this true depending on caliber. Will my 7mm rem mag do it with 175's? I have shot through half inch steel plating at 100 yards with this gun, and I cannot fathom anything made of bone stopping it, other than a shot at an extreme angle maybe. What do you guys think/know?

Maybe back in the day when these rumours were started, Lewis & Clarks roundballs and soft lead projectiles woul glance off the skulls:lol:

There is no way a 7mm Remingotn magnum bullet is going to richochet off a skull! I suppose it is possible to hit the head at a glancing nagle on bone, and have it just graze the skull, but that it just the shooter not doing his job.8-)

SteadyGirl
10-06-2006, 01:05 PM
why would you want to shoot a grizz in the head? most people like to keep and admire the skulls ....without aditional holes in them...:lol: A head shot on a bear would not be my first, or second choice

Murder
10-06-2006, 01:11 PM
why would you want to shoot a grizz in the head? most people like to keep and admire the skulls ....without aditional holes in them...:lol: A head shot on a bear would not be my first, or second choice

Just to put em down in a hurry, if you have to.

Will
10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't condone head shots for Hunting purposes...except in "Defensive" situations then all bets are off:)

FWIW: I shot a very Unfriendly, Decent sized Blackie (19-1/2" skull) right in the Face with my old 280. At about 10 feet the bullet entered just under the eye socket and turned the skull contents to Jello....the bullet exited right at the base of the neck and virtually exploded into frags throughout the neck vertabrae.
Needless to say he dropped intantly and didn't even twitch.
Couldn't enter the Skull on account of all the Cracks:-(
Head shots will work when needed, and I know a 7mm 140 Nosler Partition at 2900 fps does not Bounce off a Bears head :wink:

~T-BONE~
10-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Head shot will work if you have to... My ol'man had too in self defence as he came across a Grizz on its kill that contained a black bear up harrison! His .270 win had no problems smashing through its skull! It was a mature Bear too!! Check it out right between the eyes! Thats what happened when he charged him straight on!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1286.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3279&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Elkhound
10-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I have a black bear skull at home that the bullet went through the eye socket and there was nothing left of the back of the skull. It shattered like you wouldn't believe

sawmill
10-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Never shoot a grizz in the head if you can help it!That`s what all the books use to score them!I`ve shot a few .Nothing beats a good solid rest broadside shot through both shoulders and a lot of times they STILL won`t fall down right away.Center of mass,biggest target and break down the power,and believe me ,they have amazing stamina.I followed one that was hit through the near shoulder,angled out just inside the far hip,took out most of the lungs and all of the liver and when we followed him up 20 minutes later he was still very much alive and pissed off.Lucky for me he ran away from me when I bounced him cause he popped up 30 feet from me.I managed to hit him as he bailed down hill ,but I still can`t believe how crazy tough they are ,compared to black bears.I shot a lot of blacks,and a well placed shot will most times do the trick,but Grizz ......they can be seemingly bulletproof.
Oh ,and by the way,A high power rifle will punch through 454 engine block(Tried it,much destuction)

Brambles
10-07-2006, 03:45 AM
The myth was started because of the slope of the nose bridge, it was said that the angle was just right to deflect a bullet if you were to shoot it between the eyes. I'm not sure if there is any truth to this or not. Like gatehouse said maybe in the early years with less power and softer bullets. But if you were to try it with a Barnes or other premium bullet offered today then my vote would be for the bullet to bust through. Obvously if you were to shoot it in the side of the head or any softer meaty part where the bullet can "get started" then penetration would be alot easier but in defence situations you had better shoot him head on or the C.O.'s will be on your ass. SSS
The end of the nose is a good place, real soft and it leads directly to the brain.

browningboy
10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
All the high powered rifles will penetrate a grizzlies skull, the myth probly got started by some weirdo hunting with a 22 and tried the unthinkable. :lol: Well I know my 338 mag will give him something to ponder about, it punched through 2 of 1/2" plates of stainless at 100 yards, its mindblowing the power of some rifles!

GoatGuy
10-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Sounds like an urban myth, a good one though.

Seen one grizzed zippered through the head and dropped like a sack of potatoes. Also seen a couple black bears get blasted in the head and drop.

When you're shooting in self-defence I certainly wouldn't reccomend aiming for the head - it's a small target and it could cost you your life.

If it does happen, at full charge, all you're hoping to hit is any body part:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2006, 05:40 AM
If it does happen, at full charge, all you're hoping to hit is any body part:lol:
Hopefully it's something a little more vital than just claws:wink: .

SSS