PDA

View Full Version : wild fruit wine making recipes ??

ROEBUCK
01-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Im into homebrewing,
Beers and wines mostly ! save an absolute fortune on grog.
and it tastes a lot better too,no chemicals added.Plus the wife cant keep tabs on how many im having.:-D
but I want to make some wine from wild berries this year and was wondering if anyone has any recipes ?:)
thanks Dan

Peter Pepper
01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I found some random black berry wine recipies online a few months ago. Never tried to brew anythng before, but the end result was a dozen bottles of very decent, dry red wine. Better than most u-brews i've had. and dead easy to make.

Frango
01-10-2012, 07:09 PM
20 lbs of fresh or even better frozen fruit..26 cups of sugar 5 gallons of water and yeast..rack it often ready in 4 weeks if your thirsty or let it age for 6 months..Using frozen over fresh gives you a better sugar count hench a drier wine and I think better flavour..

ROEBUCK
01-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks frango
do you put the fruit through a blender, before you put in the fermenter ?

labrador
01-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I am not familiar with fruits turning into wine. Doesn't sugar give you headache when you drink the wine with added sugar that turn to alcohol? I only use wine grape that is why I am asking. And I aged mine in a Carbuoy for at least 2 years before even bottling them.

sobirch
01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I hope there is more response because this something I would like to learn. Booze from the forest would be only second best to meat from the forest. Some nice deer backstrap with a homemade wine from the same forest would sound pretty cool to me.

sobirch
01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
I can find 20 lbs of huckleberries how do I turn it to wine?

labrador
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
First of all you need hydrometer to record your specific gravity. Your reading should be between 1.070 - 1.080 (specific gravity) You have to keep adding sugar until you reach this. You have to add bentonite so that your wine won't turn into vinegar. Add yeast and cover-if you have a pale and an airlovk much better. For the first 3 days mis twice a day. When your specific gravity is1.020 rack it in another pale this is your secondary fermentation. Put airlock (airlock is a must) When your specific gravity is 1.000or lower rack it again on another pale by siphoning it. Stir your wine to release the gas. I add more stuff after this but since you are making wine from fruits you only need some Potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate.(available at Food for less). Repeatedly stir your wine until there is no more bubble seen. When it is fully degassed transfer to another container which is also sanitized. (buy sanitizer from food for less). Youcan now add clarifier so that your wine will be clear (kiesesol).Replace your airlock and watch your wine aged. After 3 months your wine should be ready.

cruiser
01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
No recipes, I just use whatever fruit is available, mixed with my backyard grapes and plums. Crush fruit, add potasium betabisulphite and pectic enzyme as directed on packages. Hydrometer to get the sugar level correct. Add a packet of wine yeast. Keep in an open primary fermentor (I cover with a cotton cloth to keep fruit flies away). Push down/mix the floating must into the liquid twice daily. When fermentation slows down (5-7 days), transfer liquid to a carboy with air lock. I rack the wine after 3-6 weeks, then every couple months until fermentation has stopped. Add a little more sulphites along the way to prevent spoilage. Bulk age for as long as possible, then bottle and drink. That's basically it. You could also use an acidity tester kit to get the flavour balance right.

ROEBUCK
01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
How do you guys crush your fruit ?
Do you use a liquidizer ?