PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Elk LEH for Squamish Valley 2012

TheProvider
01-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Well picked up the chief. They just relocated 8 elk by the Malcolm watershed from Sechelt. In 2006 they released 26. Reports confirm that the original 26 are doing well. The 8 elk have been equipped with gps collars that take pictures every 3 hrs. Officials are considering an leh hunt for 2012 but not near where the elk were released. PUMPED!!!

TheProvider
01-08-2012, 06:05 PM
But don't tell anyone so no one applies ;)

Gateholio
01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
That's pretty cool! I was wondering how long it would take to get an LEH there. :)

blackie9999
01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
suppose to be adding more lehs for sunshine coast.mostly for midcoast between sechelt and maderia park.work with a guy who helps traps and relocates them.if they did not relocate the elk would have had a GOS here a few years ago.

TheProvider
01-08-2012, 09:33 PM
correction, they were released at the mamquam watershed, near the chief. In order to hopefully connect herds in the squamish valley to the relocated elk by indian arm and pitt river. I've seen elk tracks and rub lines down the indian arm. The LEH would be for the squamish valley not the mamquam watershed.

The Dude
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
correction, they were released at the mamquam watershed, near the chief. In order to hopefully connect herds in the squamish valley to the relocated elk by indian arm and pitt river. I've seen elk tracks and rub lines down the indian arm. The LEH would be for the squamish valley not the mamquam watershed.

That's more like it :D heard about this awhile back. very cool. Just hope no-one *Ahem* touches them. The first transplant is doing really well in the Indian R. I could see LEH there in a year or three. THAT would be awesome.

Crazy_Farmer
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Was told this a year back that the herds have done quite well with little impact and the allocations havent all been used up either.

This is just possibly the first place of many in this region to see a new elk leh in the years to come.

TheProvider
01-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm sure the cranbrook folks will be happy too see one or two less hunters around hehe. It's great to see new LEH's opening up.

vortex hunter
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
That would be sweeet I Ran into a NICE LOOKING BULL heading into THE VALLEY the morning I got my bear ...LEH WOULD BE THE BEST

TheProvider
01-08-2012, 11:57 PM
I've only seen two elk in the valley, a cow and one big a$$ bull, mind you I never go to the valley

vortex hunter
01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah This bull was just heading into a ditch when I was cruzing into Elaho... this spring and once found about twelve of them feeding in a field ..........lol what field lol

fowl language
01-09-2012, 09:25 AM
the bcwf region 2 has agreeded to 4 new leh in region 2 for elk we are just working out the none resident/ native split and it will be. they have asked for a split season in oct. to eliminate some pressure. we are waiting to find out if the guide outfitter is in agreement with this agreement for their clients as well...stay tuned ....dale

TheProvider
01-09-2012, 10:10 AM

harbinger
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
hey this is really awesome!

westwayshooter
01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I replied to your other post regarding the proposed LEH in the Upper Squamish. One of my sons is up there quite often and he's seen herds of a couple of dozen right on the road ... not in season of course. The report from the ministry has the herd up there at over 50 animals.
WS