PDA

View Full Version : Which LEH's did you fill? Or not fill....and why?

BiG Boar
01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Which LEH's did you get in 2011, and which ones did you fill? Which did you go on, and for how many days did you try? Which did you not even try to fill, and what were the reasons?

BiG Boar
01-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I'll go first.

I got a moose LEH, hunted 10 days morning and night, and did not see a bull. This was in the Ft. St. James area.

I got a spring Grizzly LEH. Hunted for 12 days, and saw a sow and cub. This was in Spaztizi. The lake we were planning on flying into was frozen still as we went to land. Making us scramble mid flight for a new lake to hunt. This was in June. The lake had never been frozen before at this time of year. Really late spring kinda screwed with the hunt plan.

I got a goat LEH in the Kootneys and so did a friend. I hunted close to 7 days and we both filled our tags.

I got a Roosevelt LEH on the island. I hunted 14 days and I filled that tag.

My wife also got 2 draws, a doe mulie, and a mnt goat. After hiking 14 kilometers she quickly decided goat hunting wasn't her thing. We did not attempt the doe draw as it was a late draw and we had talked to others with the draw that said access due to early snow was very limited. Plus the freezer was full already and the meat wasn't going to be needed in a bad way.

NaStY
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Put in for moose. NIL
mule doe. NIL
Elk . NIL
So that would make it a big fat NIL for me this year....

I did get a 6' black bear though.........

wos
01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Only drew a doe finished the first morning so I could look for the big buck. Helped my cousin find a moose also happened the first morning.

ROEBUCK
01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
only got a grizz draw last year in a very good odds area, 0.5-1 but did not go as I put in for moose in same area and didnt get drawn.
Hope to be lucky this year !

to get a goat draw,rosie elk and moose in a season is great,the gods were shinning !

Fishhound
01-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Moose 3-12 NO
Elk region 4 got one too sick to go
Mule deer doe 3-12 got one filled it, same day my son shot a 4 point

gerrygoat
01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Got two LEH tags, filled the grizzly and still hope to fill the antlerless elk tag before the end of February.

jeff
01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
between me and my 3 rugrats ,we got 1 draw out 9 entries ..my son got the moose in fort st james area ,same place big boar was ..we spent 10 days ,got our bull on 3rd day ,and saw 3 more shooter bulls..nil on 3 doe draws ,nil on 3 elk draws ,and nil on 2 outa 3 moose draws..

lorneparker1
01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
i applied for 5 leh's and got SFA! this year i am going 5 for 5 and changing my name to Big LP

deer nut
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Man Big Boar, I would like to know your system! You obviously have it figured out considering the number of draws you"ve gotten the past few years! Must have something to do with the fact that you're a "professional gambler"? ;)

sarg
01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
mine kinda sounds like Nasty
Put in for moose. NIL
mule doe. NIL
So that would make it a big fat NIL for me this year.... but

I did get a 6' black bear though in oct.........

Jim Prawn
01-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Didnt fill any cause I didnt get any out of sheep, moose, elk. Have unused tags for mule deer, caribou, sheep, moose, and bear still in my license too. Cut one MD and one WT. Not my best performance but I did hunt more than ever before!

dragonslayer
01-08-2012, 06:23 PM
put in for 3 ,moose, elk, deer , also SFA ,put in for moose for over 30 years approximately and never connected, just sucks!!

Steeleco
01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Got the same Doe draw as Mrs. BigBore and got nada, The snow was deep and early compared to last year, they'd moved out to places unknown?

Rubberknot
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
L.E.H. success 0/3

V.I. Roosevelt Elk-0 (no surprise there)
Mulie doe - 0
Moose - 0

Shot a 3x3 mulie in Merrit and struck out on Island Blacktail hunts, left one mule tag unfilled.

tuffteddyb
01-08-2012, 06:35 PM
between the wife and me we put in for 4 or 5 leh's
what did we get?
NONE and NOTHING

tuchodi
01-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Applied for Bison, Grizzly, Goat and Moose and got nothing.

NaStY
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Forgot to mention I was only able to go this year for a 3 day hunt. Took my oldest out with me and it was PRICELESS.......... His first trip out...

vortex hunter
01-08-2012, 06:41 PM
I put in for my ELK = NIL Muley Doe = NIL Moose = NIL ..... I shot a sick black bear in spring june 10th And shot a rut buck a nice 2x2 just before the season ended.........oh yeah and a grizz draw GOT NIL ...............Hope I have better luck this new year....

Everett
01-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I got a goat leh filled a goat leh wife got a Nil and so did my hunting partners.

jtred
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Put in for antlerless elk 4-06 zone c and for the second year running was successful, both in being drawn for November and for filling the tag. Hunted four mornings this year and connected on a very tasty cow. This is one of my favourite game meats and probably my favourite hunt. Year before last it took a bit longer but managed to catch up to the herd on Nov 17, and with a bit of tracking in the snow had a nice young cow to get down the mountain.

Bear Chaser
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I wasn't drawn for either of my grizzly or bison applications.

Both of my kids filled their calf moose draws.

Caveman
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Filled all my "Nils"

Sitkaspruce
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
I'll go first.

I got a moose LEH, hunted 10 days morning and night, and did not see a bull. This was in the Ft. St. James area. Cause you need me to show you where and how it is done:mrgreen::wink:

I got a spring Grizzly LEH. Hunted for 12 days, and saw a sow and cub. This was in Spaztizi. The lake we were planning on flying into was frozen still as we went to land. Making us scramble mid flight for a new lake to hunt. This was in June. The lake had never been frozen before at this time of year. Really late spring kinda screwed with the hunt plan.One day it ill all come together, lord knows you have put in enough time!!!!!

I got a goat LEH in the Kootneys and so did a friend. I hunted close to 7 days and we both filled our tags.

My wife also got 2 draws, a doe mulie, and a mnt goat. After hiking 14 kilometers she quickly decided goat hunting wasn't her thing. We did not attempt the doe draw as it was a late draw and we had talked to others with the draw that said access due to early snow was very limited. Plus the freezer was full already and the meat wasn't going to be needed in a bad way.

I noticed you did not mention the triple horse shoes up you you know what!!!!

Nice work Dave!!!

For me, it was a moose draw, but we had a back up plan as the LEH is only a bonus, just like the lottery and the Island Elk, which I received 4 years ago, so will wait another 26 years for the next one.

Never received a draw that I did not try to fill

Cheers

SS

emerson
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Put in 5, got fall grizz and cow moose. Set up for the cow to step out of the bush and it was an immy bull. He tastes good. The grizz draw was in the same area, lots of tracks, some only hours old, but no bear.

tomahawk
01-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Doe Mulie in 5...........not filled as my son's Bison LEH took priority, his draw was filled.

The Hermit
01-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Put in for moose and elk... NAFT.

Will continue trying for moose and Rosie and want a goat and g-bear this year too. Going to do a couple years researching and physical prep for a sheep draw in 2013/14.

guywitha270
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM
It took me 1 hour to fill my doe LEH in 3-28. I figured it would be like shooting fish in a barrel and I was right. I'm grateful none the less.

Skull Hunter
01-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I put in for Bison, Sheep and Goat. I was drawn for the Goat and hunted probably 20-25 days. Passed up a few young billy's early in the season and never ended up filling my tag. Guess I'll have to try again this year.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
drew a doe and an anterless late elk ... Filled doe within a couple hours ... late elk goes till end end of Feb ... havent tried yet .... Thinking about going up end of January(ish)

Got me a fall bear and a lil buck on general tags

Stone Sheep Steve
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Can't remember what species I put in for (way too long ago)..but I got drawn for antlerless elk in the peace and goat in the Skeena. Filled the elk draw on our second day of the hunt and have not yet gone for goat. Intentions to go for goat were certainly there (not getting any younger) but things aren't looking too good ....at this point.

SSS

cloverphil
01-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I put in for 3 and got 1
doe nil
moose nil
cow elk, 7 days didn't see one

Philcott
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Put in for Moose, Rosy elk, MD doe and whitey doe (hoping to go out with my son). I drew the moose and connected after 5 days of seeing nothing.

SHAKER
01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Grizz draw this spring and filled within a couple of days..... more of a fluke then anything.

Put in for Sheep,Moose,Elk,Bison,Goat............ Got my Sheep draw AGAIN! Second Cali draw in 4 years......... Hunted most of the 7 day tag but heat into the 30's was seriously killing us and pulled out empty.

BlacktailStalker
01-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Nil on grizz, roosevelt, sheep & goat.

12 years hunting...

Approx 60 LEH entries to date... of which one was successful, a goat draw in '10, which I filled.

Brian011
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Got a bull moose draw for 5-2a for oct 1-15,
Got a bull on the 4th day

pg83
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Moose = NIL
Grizz = NIL
Mule Doe = NIL
Rosey = NIL
Goat = tag filled on second day of hunt

troutseeker
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
My buddy and I hunted hard in 5.12A for our mooses. No luck at all, and it was really, really warm.

kevan
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=NaStY;1059659]Put in for moose. NIL
mule doe. NIL
Elk . NIL
So that would make it a big fat NIL for me this year....

Same for several consecutive years.....

bugler
01-09-2012, 08:57 PM
I did not fill my 4-22 moose draw because.....they all dead already.

kitnayakwa77
01-09-2012, 09:57 PM
got drawn for moose in 5-2 D, saw 13 cows, no bulls, between Oct 15-21.
got drawn for goat in skeena, saw lots of goats, couple young billys, still hoping to get the big one before the season ends
put in for spatsizi caribou, didn't get drawn
got a caribou in the GOS

bcmulie
01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I had 4 draws out of 6 applications:

Ashnola sheep, hunted the full 7 day season, plus several days scouting. Messed up a stalk on 6 rams (3 legal), and saw 2 other rams that we're probably legal but too far away to get to before dark.

Shared moose in 3-27, hunted 6 or 7 days. My brother filled one of the 2 tags, but neither my dad nor I could fill the second tag. Saw three bulls, but just couldn't get a shot.

Roosevelt elk, VI, archery, hunted 11 days and managed to take a nice 5x5 after coming close on a number of other bulls.

2nd choice goat, Kootenays. The other draws were my priority, and used up all my vacation time, so I didn't hunt on this tag.

All in all a great season.

Bcmulie

Cyrus
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
drawn for bull moose...day 6 before I even saw one...luckily it had antlers...only moose I saw in 2 weeks and we were skunked on the other..1 is really all we needed anyway....thinking Nov the time to go as I saw 3 bulls in 5 min.

my dad had an leh doe..over in 5 minutes.

Tikka270wsm
01-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I put in for Island Rosie's every year as well as Region 5 Bull Moose. I've never been drawn for anything. Region 5 moose is what I put in for every year as I have family in 100 Mile House so I have a place to stay as well as some local knowledge to point me in a good direction. Not to mention, the fishing is awesome there too!

Island Rosie draw is a given as you can't get one if you don't put in for it. Hopefully this is my year.

BillyBull
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Moose LEH - Nil
Elk LEH - Nil

So had to rely on open seasons and was able to bag a bull moose and mule buck.

boxhitch
01-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Good thread Dave. Always wonder how many go unused or not attempted.

bigben
01-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I'll go first.

I got a moose LEH, hunted 10 days morning and night, and did not see a bull. This was in the Ft. St. James area.

I got a spring Grizzly LEH. Hunted for 12 days, and saw a sow and cub. This was in Spaztizi. The lake we were planning on flying into was frozen still as we went to land. Making us scramble mid flight for a new lake to hunt. This was in June. The lake had never been frozen before at this time of year. Really late spring kinda screwed with the hunt plan.

Can you give me your hunters number I might want to use it in 2012 I have not gotten limited entries like you unbelievable and congratulation by the way WOW

srupp
01-13-2012, 12:41 AM
hmmm put in for 5 draws....first time ever totaly nilled....

went camping with leaseman for bear in the spring and moose in the fall....harvested a meat mulie....

A 'SIGNIFICANT" amount of grizzly hunters didnt use their tags or even attempt to go...I found this somewhat frustrating when some folks are waiting a decade for a grizzly draw...

Hmmm read where the draw is..can you acces this area?? how much will it cost and am I willing to pay that cost..truthfully???and make the effort..imo...

Steven

cuervosail
01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Elk - NIL; Sheep - NIL; Mule doe - NIL; Moose - drawn but couldn't go.

chinook
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Moose draw filled. Why? Because moose hunting is fun as hell!!

Devilbear
01-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Kootenay Goat, packed, ready to go with regular experienced hunting buddy, wife's surgeon calls and she has neuro-surgery that week, so, that finished that trip before it actually started.

LEH is just bullshit, IMO, it is a con game to keep we residents quiet while various sleazy governments sell off OUR best hunting to the GOs and their foreign clients. If, the game populations in a given area cannot sustain a GOS with a minimum resident success rate of 25%, then, there simply is not enough game in that region to allow ANY non-resident hunting, period.

I am totally tired of seeing Kootenay Lake covered with large boats with US flags and seeing camo-clad Yank "trophy hunters" at northern BC airports, arrogantly yakking about OUR game and OUR landscape as though they owned it. It is time to put an end to this and encourage BC citizens to hunt and utilize OUR game resources!

killer
01-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Leh whats that my family has not had a draw in five long years usually nine to twelve a year gimmie a break please this year has to be the year

oldkoot
01-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Filled 0. Since the L.E.H. system began, I have applied for Sheep, W.K. Elk, Bull Moose in region 4, Grizz in region 4, Goat 1year and Caribou in region 4 while it lasted. Have never applied for any antlerl
less. After all those years I got , 1 grizz draw, 1 sheep draw and 1 goat. Never did get drawn for elk or moose and got tired of hearing about all the first timers and the 2nd and 3rd timers. Quit applying 5 years ago. Have always thought thought it should be run as a system similiar to Alberta's.

steel_ram
01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Thought this was a thread about those that used or didn't use their LEH tags, not the usual July LEH bioch session about the unfairness of the system of which I participate.

Didn't use my Grizzly tag. After seeing a double rainbow had a change of heart about killing one of those magnificent creations.

.300WSMImpact!
01-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I applied for, moose (there was two groups 8 people total and we all got nothing), rosie, bison, caribou august hunt, ended up 1 for 4

I got the caribou but nobody else that was suppose to go with me got there draws so I was alone and could not do a hunt like that alone

heatherdaddy
01-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Got drawn for moose in 3-30A there for 5 days and never saw a bloody thing, not even a bloody bunny. So I didnt fill that one.

dana
01-15-2012, 10:22 AM
I was drawn for muley doe and bull moose and filled both tags. My daughter was drawn for muley doe and bull moose and she only filled her muley doe tag. My son was drawn for bull moose in the same unit as my daughter and after hunting hard we were unable to find them a bull to shoot. So 3 tags filled out of 5 ain't that bad. The freezer is full.

TyTy
01-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Didn't end up going on my kootenay goat hunt. Moved from van isle to langley, work obligations kept me busy, switched jobs. + hunting partner decided to go somewhere sunny instead this year. just wasn't in the cards this year.

draw odds were 1:1 so I don't feel too bad about not making it; maybe next year. actually i was completely unsuccessful this year, tag soup

David Heitsman
01-15-2012, 07:20 PM
I had 4 draws out of 6 applications:

Ashnola sheep, hunted the full 7 day season, plus several days scouting. Messed up a stalk on 6 rams (3 legal), and saw 2 other rams that we're probably legal but too far away to get to before dark.

Shared moose in 3-27, hunted 6 or 7 days. My brother filled one of the 2 tags, but neither my dad nor I could fill the second tag. Saw three bulls, but just couldn't get a shot.

Roosevelt elk, VI, archery, hunted 11 days and managed to take a nice 5x5 after coming close on a number of other bulls.

2nd choice goat, Kootenays. The other draws were my priority, and used up all my vacation time, so I didn't hunt on this tag.

All in all a great season.

Bcmulie

Congrats on your elk bcmulie! Wondered how you'd made out in the bighorn dept.

I drew a BC griz, filled it with a boar with Stone Mtn. and drew a muley in AB, filled it with a heavy 28" buck and drew a bighorn in Montana and filled it right near the Canadian border. Everything else was GOS, here or Mexico.