PDA

View Full Version : What a differance a day makes

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Well after a sucsessful scouting trip yeasterday this morning was filled with hope and promise. I decided to kick it old school and left the P350 3.5" and Red Label 3" at home in favour of the family heirloom 1952 2.75" Model 12 Trap gun. By first light the deeks were set a coffee consumed and all was ready a pair of Mallards came in wings set and became the first in the bag a perfect double. Next a lone hen The 60yr old Model 12 spoke and again Keela made a nice retrieve the blood was pumping excitement was high I would be home for a hot breakfast by 10. Next came.....next came NOTHING. Not anpther duck offered it's self up. 2 flocks of geese gave a hight fly by, There was shooting from across the marsh but as for the pond that looked so promising less than 24 hrs ago big fat NOTHING. By noon the deeks were packed up as there were Christmas decorations to be taken down at home so that was that but that's why its called HUNTING and full bags or skunk its always a GOOD DAY.
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/DSC02663.jpg?t=1325969949
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/DSC02664.jpg?t=1325969868

BiG Boar
01-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Set up this morning in a nice corn field that has been full of birds the last couple days. Today not one bird came in to the set up. Pretty brutal, but I'm too new to this to even have thoughts of what went wrong. Glad to hear this kind of thing can even happen to the experts.

lorneparker1
01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
At least you got to pull the trigger!

Shouldnt have shot it yesterday... hahahaha. Its funny, no matter how much you think you know, or how much gear you have, how much you scout every so often the birds remind you that you dont know shit!! hahaha

Lorne

FirePower
01-07-2012, 03:10 PM
A very funny thing and lesson to us all, limited out or just a couple of birds, the dog still looks very proud. Very nice old fowling piece brings back a lot of good memories of a much simpler time.

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Set up this morning in a nice corn field that has been full of birds the last couple days. Today not one bird came in to the set up. Pretty brutal, but I'm too new to this to even have thoughts of what went wrong. Glad to hear this kind of thing can even happen to the experts.

For the record and ex is a used to be a (s)pert is a little drip under pressure. Im just an old guy that likes standing in the rain and slinging steel AT waterfowl lol

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Truer words were never spoken, BUT if I hadn't shot yesterday I wouldn't have had 11 birds only 8 MAYBE lol

lorneparker1
01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Truer words were never spoken, BUT if I hadn't shot yesterday I wouldn't have had 11 birds only 8 MAYBE lol

Ive been humbled many a times in my hunting career. Case and point. Had a field earlier this season that was full of honkers. Probably close to 500. Shot 1 the next day when we set up on them. Luckily there was some ducks to keep us busy, but it was unreal how bad the honkers reacted. Wouldnt committ, some would just skirt at 50 yards. So we moved and re checked the spread and the layouts were coverd well. everything looked perfect to me. Then they started flaring at 80 lol. And these are so called early season DUMB geese.

You going to the gun show tomorrow jim? we are coming down and can pick you up on the way if you want.

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Love to but have other comitments DAMN!! but if U R not running 2 late on the way back call me and I'll buy you a coffee (u probably won't be able to afford your own after the show LOL) PM me if you don't still have my# or get it from Tony.
I think the problem here was the shooting across the marsh. Yesterday they came on their own time for a snack in the field no worries. 2 day after the 3 birds(who decoyed right in nicely) when the shooting started all the birds that came our way were already spooked or shot at and were at 5000 ft going 90 headed outs Dodge. Just my observation but I there is something to it.

Dutch
01-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Like them old model 12's I use my 1955 solid rib for shooting pheasants 9 birds for 12 shots ,now if I could hit ducks that well....

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Love mine, the Poly Choke is great it was (believe it or not) purchased new with it, No wrench, just a twist of the wrist and you can go from close in IC to longer pass shooting 5, then to Mod when they start flareing over the deeks. My uncle bought it new in the early 50s, my Dad bought it off him when he went to an O/U (being a lefty). Dad gave it to me when I was about 14 but I had been using it for a year or 2 before that. I couldn't even guess the number of birds it has taken. 100s of 1000s of rounds thru and it still works flawless now thats craftsmanship