PDA

View Full Version : saltwater fishing

fisher
01-07-2012, 01:52 AM
now that hunting seasons over and the new years here its winter spring fishing time .its my second favorite thing to do..my first trip will be in a few weeks down to my cabin in barclay sound .just wondering whats your favorite saltwater gear . some of the other winter spring fisherman like to use bait. and what depths ..i prefer hootchies ,the skunk with a 42 inch leader behind the flasher at around 140 ft to 180 ft seems to work for me ..my biggest winter spring is 26lbs caught on the skunk at 160ft .caught it on feb 26th last year

pnbrock
01-07-2012, 09:24 AM
my go to is a glow tiger prawn never lets me down.

MB_Boy
01-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Why are you asking about gear for "feeders" in your post yet you poll is completely different??? Tough to get "feeders" on fly gear.

MB_Boy
01-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Oh......and small 3.5 spoons is the ticket.

Sitkaspruce
01-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Anchovies for here on the North Island and big spoons or plugs for the West Coast. Smaller plugs and spoons for winters, if you can get out here over the winter. Man has it been blowing up here this year!!!!

Hootchies for when I want to fill up on socks or humpies.

***Is "fisher" the new Jeff?????***

Pict looks the same, his questions seem to be the same and he did just join........

Cheers

SS

fisher
01-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Why are you asking about gear for "feeders" in your post yet you poll is completely different??? Tough to get "feeders" on fly gear.

what...................................

fisher
01-07-2012, 09:53 AM

im not sure what your saying ..fishing gear for feeders,what?..and whats the problem with post and poll...ive never fly fished in my life .just thought id throw that in

MB_Boy
01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
im not sure what your saying ..fishing gear for feeders,what?..and whats the problem with post and poll...ive never fly fished in my life .just thought id throw that in

Okeedokee Jeffy......I'll break it down for you.

You are asking in your "post" about what people use for "Winter Springs".....they are also known as "feeders". They are the "resident" fish in the particular area you are fishing....they "feed" and grow up in the area and are not part of a "migratory run".

Your poll.....is asking what your favourite "saltwater gear" is. Now...are you asking about favourite saltwater gear for "feeders/winter" springs or are you asking period.

If you are just asking what the favourite "saltwater gear" is you sure picked some wacky categories to differentiate. Fly fishing saltwater gear and mooCHing are ways to fish and there is gear specifically for it....the other 3 choices are just types of lures to tow when trolling for salmon etc.

You may want to ask "what" do people prefer to use when fishing for Winter springs.....or ask what are peoples favourite type of saltwater fishing. ie trolling on downriggers, casting a saltwater fly, mooching, jigging, netting, harpooning, singing etc.

As I stated....for Winter springs in the local waters here; most guys I know including myself use spoons. Not worth messing around with bait in the local Vancouver area fishery....small 3.5 spoons in cop car, green/glow type colours tend to be the ticket. In saying that...I have tried bait and managed a few but if my Spanish coffee runs out I don't want to get my fingers cold messing with bait.

I tend to steer away from flyfishing for winter/feeder springs.....I just don't seem to see enough of them come up from the bottom of the ocean to take a fly. :wink:

Oh....and Sitka.....yup it's Jeff. :wink: He may punch me due to my earlier sarcasm. :mrgreen:

fisher
01-07-2012, 10:31 AM

You are asking in your "post" about what people use for "Winter Springs".....they are also known as "feeders". They are the "resident" fish in the particular area you are fishing....they "feed" and grow up in the area and are not part of a "migratory run".

Your poll.....is asking what your favourite "saltwater gear" is. Now...are you asking about favourite saltwater gear for "feeders/winter" springs or are you asking period.

If you are just asking what the favourite "saltwater gear" is you sure picked some wacky categories to differentiate. Fly fishing saltwater gear and mooCHing are ways to fish and there is gear specifically for it....the other 3 choices are just types of lures to tow when trolling for salmon etc.

You may want to ask "what" do people prefer to use when fishing for Winter springs.....or ask what are peoples favourite type of saltwater fishing. ie trolling on downriggers, casting a saltwater fly, mooching, jigging, netting, harpooning, singing etc.

As I stated....for Winter springs in the local waters here; most guys I know including myself use spoons. Not worth messing around with bait in the local Vancouver area fishery....small 3.5 spoons in cop car, green/glow type colours tend to be the ticket. In saying that...I have tried bait and managed a few but if my Spanish coffee runs out I don't want to get my fingers cold messing with bait.

I tend to steer away from flyfishing for winter/feeder springs.....I just don't seem to see enough of them come up from the bottom of the ocean to take a fly. :wink:

Oh....and Sitka.....yup it's Jeff. :wink: He may punch me due to my earlier sarcasm. :mrgreen:

ive been a saltwater fisherman since i was sucking the nipple .you dont need to tell me what a feeder is ..and no need to disect my post

frenchbar
01-07-2012, 10:36 AM
hahaha...funhogs still feedin on the nipple ...

CanuckShooter
01-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Funhog is trolling.....and not for feeders either. ;-)

MB_Boy
01-07-2012, 10:54 AM
ive been a saltwater fisherman since i was sucking the nipple .you dont need to tell me what a feeder is ..and no need to disect my post

Well.....you didn't seem to understand when I mentioned "feeder" before???? You were all confused like you're outside a club at 2:30am, rip roarin' drunk and wondering who Jeffy is gonna punch out?

I am just saying your poll and thread don't really coincide. It's like talking about the early junior rifle season and types of camo to use.....but then you put up a poll asking what your favourite camo pattern is for the late bow season in the Okanagan? Get it??

It's like your asking dudes.....what colour 'tightie' underwear do you wear in the summer and then putting up a poll if they prefer their wool boxers with a closed fly or button fly and if wool boxers make their balls itchy.

MB_Boy
01-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Hey frenchy.....whatever floats YOUR boat....funhog doesn't mind a teat or two every now and then. :-P

Have you figured the TV out yet??? Haha.

Funhog is trolling.....and not for feeders either. ;-)

No trolling.....just trying to follow a thread about fishing. It all may seem fine and dandy to you CS as your threads are all over the map :wink:; I just failed to see the first post and poll having much correlation. :confused:

fisher
01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
mb boy .havent you got anything better to do ..theres nothing wrong with my post or poll ..makes complete sense to me ..figure it out

fisher
01-07-2012, 01:24 PM
ive found that bait ,herring or anchovie .doesnt produce as well as gear..also ,most of the time ,at this time of year the fishing is so good that you go through bait so fast its crazy ..plus with the price of bait these days...

frenchbar
01-07-2012, 01:30 PM
hey frenchy.....whatever floats your boat....funhog doesn't mind a teat or two every now and then. :-p

have you figured the tv out yet??? Haha.

No trolling.....just trying to follow a thread about fishing. It all may seem fine and dandy to you cs as your threads are all over the map :wink:; i just failed to see the first post and poll having much correlation. :confused:

ah..yup ..about half way through the first....alls good now lol

lorneparker1
01-07-2012, 04:14 PM

I agree and lol

Lorne

fisher
01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
I agree and lol

Lorne

the only reason you agree is cuz its me..anybody else made this post ,nothing would be said ..u guys got a hard on for me ..thats alright though ,just makes u look childish ..good luck ..theres no issue with the post ,its straight forward ..whats your favorite winter spring gear .. do u want sighn language or brail so u can understand the question

Weatherby Fan
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Hey Fisher
Always use bait in the summer never fished them in the winter
Thus last summer had a 65 yr old guest use a flyrod and just trolled a bucktail he caught a few coho and a 19lb spring on it, pretty amazing fight and the fellow was so happy I could hear him smiling in the next boat !

fisher
01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Hey Fisher
Always use bait in the summer never fished them in the winter
Thus last summer had a 65 yr old guest use a flyrod and just trolled a bucktail he caught a few coho and a 19lb spring on it, pretty amazing fight and the fellow was so happy I could hear him smiling in the next boat !

right on.. i can imagine the fight would be awsome on a fly rod ....

lorneparker1
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
the only reason you agree is cuz its me..anybody else made this post ,nothing would be said ..u guys got a hard on for me ..thats alright though ,just makes u look childish ..good luck ..theres no issue with the post ,its straight forward ..whats your favorite winter spring gear .. do u want sighn language or brail so u can understand the question

No man. I dont care who it is. Your post and poll are not relevant and dont make sense.

What are you asking? what is our favourite way to catch winter springs like your post says. Or

What is our favourie way to fish? like your poll says.

fisher
01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
No man. I dont care who it is. Your post and poll are not relevant and dont make sense.

What are you asking? what is our favourite way to catch winter springs like your post says. Or

What is our favourie way to fish? like your poll says.

holly crap bud ..figure it out ..really not that difficult

lorneparker1
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
holly crap bud ..figure it out ..really not that difficult

Holy crap bud... nice complete re-edit of your post so that it kind of makes sense, although you may have to explain to me how mooching and saltwater fly fishing fall into the "gear" catergory that your post is asking but show in your poll.

Close though. Few more re-edits and you'll be making sense in no time!

Lorne

fisher
01-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Holy crap bud... nice complete re-edit of your post so that it kind of makes sense, although you may have to explain to me how mooching and saltwater fly fishing fall into the "gear" catergory that your post is asking but show in your poll.

Close though. Few more re-edits and you'll be making sense in no time!

Lorne

your right ,im wrong ..makes no sense .what was i thinking .i better take another english class..obviously your very well educated ,i can tell

lorneparker1
01-07-2012, 07:36 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/14/c4f34858-3131-4c42-b429-0df91eae3939.jpg

fisher
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/14/c4f34858-3131-4c42-b429-0df91eae3939.jpg

see what i mean ..your good ..i could never have thought of something like that...brilliant

Sitkaspruce
01-07-2012, 08:05 PM

But Jeff, Mooching is not gear, it is a method, same as flyfishing.

Bait, hootchies, spoons, plugs and bucktails is gear.

By the way, biggest for me in the winter is a 32 off Swale Rock, back in the late eighties/early 90's, when I guided out there. Plugs and spoons were out go to until the buck herring showed up, then we rigged them in large teaser heads and fished them at 60-80' of Swale or Effingham at first light. Some days we had 15 fish mornings. could hardly keep two rods down.

Cheers

SS

fisher
01-07-2012, 08:10 PM
But Jeff, Mooching is not gear, it is a method, same as flyfishing.

Bait, hootchies, spoons, plugs and bucktails is gear.

By the way, biggest for me in the winter is a 32 off Swale Rock, back in the late eighties/early 90's, when I guided out there. Plugs and spoons were out go to until the buck herring showed up, then we rigged them in large teaser heads and fished them at 60-80' of Swale or Effingham at first light. Some days we had 15 fish mornings. could hardly keep two rods down.

Cheers

SS
swale rock produces alota good fish .my 26lbs was caught in vernon bay ..ok ,i guess i shoulda said ,,flies instead of fly fishing ,and jigs instead of mooching ..didnt think the post police would have picked it apart ..as my daughters say ..MY BAD...

smasher
01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I agree fisher i live and fish the west coast of vancouver island.....all makes sense to me.

steel_ram
01-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Does anyone still fish shallow bucktails with a abalone spinner, or is that fishery history. Remember hugging the kelp beds just off shore East central Island back in the 70's. Was a Christmasy thing.

fisher
01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I agree fisher i live and fish the west coast of vancouver island.....all makes sense to me.

well i must say thank you ..i dont get too many positive remarks to my posts ..

MB_Boy
01-08-2012, 10:56 AM

No....it isn't and wasn't before you went back to edit it. Sign language and/or brail sure won't help make it more understandable.

Look at your poll.......it is not about fishing for Winter Springs (feeders) because if it WAS a "seasoned" fisherman such as yourself would know that flyfishing for them is completely useless. You are asking 2 questions in your poll....."what" is your favourite gear but 2 of your possible answers are ways of fishing and not gear.

Ask your buddy Jeff to read it for you....I hear he's back.....maybe he can shed some light for you.

It's like if you made a poll that asked....."What is your favourite type of fish to eat" and the following were the choices.

Walleye
Salmon
Ditch Eels
Fried
Poached
In the oven

3 of them are actually "types" of fish.....the other 2 are ways to cook fish.

Add a post that is about as relevant as yours and the first would be something like this.

I love mooching in the fall ditch eel fishery, what is your favourite way to cook them. :?

jeff
01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
No....it isn't and wasn't before you went back to edit it. Sign language and/or brail sure won't help make it more understandable.

Look at your poll.......it is not about fishing for Winter Springs (feeders) because if it WAS a "seasoned" fisherman such as yourself would know that flyfishing for them is completely useless. You are asking 2 questions in your poll....."what" is your favourite gear but 2 of your possible answers are ways of fishing and not gear.

Ask your buddy Jeff to read it for you....I hear he's back.....maybe he can shed some light for you.

It's like if you made a poll that asked....."What is your favourite type of fish to eat" and the following were the choices.

Walleye
Salmon
Ditch Eels
Fried
Poached
In the oven

3 of them are actually "types" of fish.....the other 2 are ways to cook fish.

Add a post that is about as relevant as yours and the first would be something like this.

I love mooching in the fall ditch eel fishery, what is your favourite way to cook them. :?

listen boy .why are you the only one who wont quit .give it up already ,who cares ..i see that i should have used flies instead of flyfishing ,and jigs instead of mootching . so no why wont you just stop already ..its guys like you that get me booted from here ..its really no big deal how the post was done ..

Sitkaspruce
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Heeeees back!!!!!

Wow man, you have two different ID's on here.

Just cannot stay away eh???

and cannot refuse to rise to the bait still.....

Wow is all I can say.

MB, this one is ripe to set the hook....

Cheers

SS

jeff
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Heeeees back!!!!!

Wow man, you have two different ID's on here.

Just cannot stay away eh???

and cannot refuse to rise to the bait still.....

Wow is all I can say.

MB, this one is ripe to set the hook....

Cheers

SS

why bother with trying to bait anyone anyways ,whats the point ..is it a game ..were not children are we ...by the sound of this your post your hopeing ill play your game ..this type of behaviour is elementry level ,now just stop already....ill even ask politely...please..............

lorneparker1
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
elementary* i think is what you were trying to spell. And yes most of this thread is quite"elementary" . Maybe next time when you dont make any sense, and someone asks you to clarify what you are saying, instead of getting your back up and flipping out with mis-spelled words and run-on sentenaces, you may chose a different way to react. Considering your past, i would say probably not.

jeff
01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
elementary* i think is what you were trying to spell. And yes most of this thread is quite"elementary" . Maybe next time when you dont make any sense, and someone asks you to clarify what you are saying, instead of getting your back up and flipping out with mis-spelled words and run-on sentenaces, you may chose a different way to react. Considering your past, i would say probably not.

ok, i will admit my grammer isnt all that well ,but its been 21 years since i graduated ..and i work with my hands not a pen ..so its a bit rusty ..and i no dam well you knew what i meant with the post .you just had to disect it cuz thats who you are ...

f350ps
01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
ok, i will admit my grammer isnt all that well ,but its been 21 years since i graduated ..and i work with my hands not a pen ..so its a bit rusty ..and i no dam well you knew what i meant with the post .you just had to disect it cuz thats who you are ...

Jeff, I'll give ya a bit of advice, whether ya take it is up to you! Click on the user name of the guys that are p$ssin ya off and click "Add to ignore list" You'd be amazed at how much more enjoyable this site gets. K

fuzzybiscuit
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Jeff, did you ever hear the saying, "they wouldn't bug you if they didn't like you."

In your case I don't think it applies.

jeff
01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Jeff, did you ever hear the saying, "they wouldn't bug you if they didn't like you."

In your case I don't think it applies.

well thank you for that great piece of wisdom...

Mr. Dean
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I too was confused a bit by the OP.

GLAD it's sorted out now.
Move on...

The Dawg
01-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Just sayin ;)

jeff
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
well i see the wolf pock is bored .decided to try some trolling ..

lorneparker1
01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Just sayin ;)

HAHAHA fack!

The Dawg
01-09-2012, 05:27 PM

I left this one alone...till now :D

jeff
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I left this one alone...till now :D

you may as well leave it alone ..the bites off ...

Island Redneck
01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I dont know what all the big hub-ub is about, but I have caught winter springs (feeder fish ) on, bait, hootchies, spoons, spin casting buzz bombs & stingzilda's and also mooching for them.

I dont fly fish but I have seen them caught by fly fishermen off Tofino, Campbell River and in Barclay Sound

jeff
01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I dont know what all the big hub-ub is about, but I have caught winter springs (feeder fish ) on, bait, hootchies, spoons, spin casting buzz bombs & stingzilda's and also mooching for them.

I dont fly fish but I have seen them caught by fly fishermen off Tofino, Campbell River and in Barclay Sound

so have i ,,just asking what is your favorite .. if thats what you meant or not with the hub bub comment ..

coach
01-09-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm confused, Jeff. Is this poll about winter spring fishing specifically or all saltwater fishing?

jeff
01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm confused, Jeff. Is this poll about winter spring fishing specifically or all saltwater fishing?

im getting tired of this thread ...its about winter springs ................. spawners are a whole different story ..nowhere in this thread did i meantion summer or fall runs ..so to me its pretty darn obvious that im talking about WINTER FEEDERS ................

Island Redneck
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM

The original post said that winter spring fishing was his second favorite thing to do, ( I surmised hunting was his favorite???) and the poll asked for your favorite saltwater fishing gear.

I think the options given on the poll work on all saltwater fishing in this area, winter springs included.

coach
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks Jeff. I voted spoons.

fuzzybiscuit
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Island Redneck
The original post said that winter spring fishing was his second favorite thing to do, ( I surmised hunting was his favorite???) and the poll asked for your favorite saltwater fishing gear.

I thought that punching people who didn't agree with him in the head was his favorite thing to do.

Oh, sorry, that was the old Jeff.:)

As for winter spring fishing, I like to slow troll a cut plug on the downrigger with a dummy flasher about five feet up the rigger line. Sage 3106, Islander MR2, 20# test, 1 bead chain swivel, 2 hooks. Makes for a great fight on the feeders.

If the sharks show up I'll switch to a Coyote spoon on the same set up.

jeff
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Island Redneck

I thought that punching people who didn't agree with him in the head was his favorite thing to do.

Oh, sorry, that was the old Jeff.:)

As for winter spring fishing, I like to slow troll a cut plug on the downrigger with a dummy flasher about five feet up the rigger line. Sage 3106, Islander MR2, 20# test, 1 bead chain swivel, 2 hooks. Makes for a great fight on the feeders.

If the sharks show up I'll switch to a Coyote spoon on the same set up.

playing the fish without the flasher sure makes for a better fight eh?...and as for my favorite thing to do ,yes hunting is number one..the punching people is way down the list ..

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 07:22 PM
playing the fish without the flasher sure makes for a better fight eh?... ..

So why no plugs in the poll??? :?

Sure don't see many guys standing in the ocean chucking flies for feeder springs that tend to stay pretty deep.

jeff
01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
So why no plugs in the poll??? :?

Sure don't see many guys standing in the ocean chucking flies for feeder springs that tend to stay pretty deep.

who flys a plug for winter feeders ..i dont .. the only time i fly a plug is in august....maybe thats why you dont catch fish...........

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
who flys a plug for winter feeders ..i dont .. the only time i fly a plug is in august....maybe thats why you dont catch fish...........

Lame reply........who chucks flies for feeders that tend to hang out in the bottom third of the water column.....at least they are in local waters. Not many guys dropping anchor on the back side of Bowen and chucking feathers.....or among the freighters in English Bay.....or out off the WCVI.

I fish for winters and know LOTS of guys who do all around the Island and south coast but am yet to hear of anyone chucking flies. Not the most effective method when you're trying to cover lots of water.

Just sayin.

field marshal
01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Actually jeff's not wrong about trolling a big bucktail fly for winter Springs!!! Used to be very popular in the Campbell River area at one time.
Anywhere herring are hanging out close to the shoreline is a good bet!! Must be some guys still do it??? --Cheers---Field Marshal.

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Actually jeff's not wrong about trolling a big bucktail fly for winter Springs!!! Used to be very popular in the Campbell River area at one time.
Anywhere herring are hanging out close to the shoreline is a good bet!! Must be some guys still do it??? --Cheers---Field Marshal.

Marshal.....I am sure there may be the odd one but after talking with all sorts of guys and reading countless Winter spring threads on various BCfishing forums I have never heard it mentioned. I don't doubt if you can find bait at the surface it may work. The bulk of everything I hear is all working DEEP water.

jeff
01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Lame reply........who chucks flies for feeders that tend to hang out in the bottom third of the water column.....at least they are in local waters. Not many guys dropping anchor on the back side of Bowen and chucking feathers.....or among the freighters in English Bay.....or out off the WCVI.

I fish for winters and know LOTS of guys who do all around the Island and south coast but am yet to hear of anyone chucking flies. Not the most effective method when you're trying to cover lots of water.

Just sayin.

your really starting to get on my nerves ..i through fly fishing in there just to keep people happy ..i dont fly fish and never have .... another thing ,winters arent always deep ,many mornings i see them pushing the feed right up to the surface ..so maybe think before you type ..at first light ill start at 40ft and gradually go down to 160ft ..

jeff
01-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Marshal.....I am sure there may be the odd one but after talking with all sorts of guys and reading countless Winter spring threads on various BCfishing forums I have never heard it mentioned. I don't doubt if you can find bait at the surface it may work. The bulk of everything I hear is all working DEEP water.

oh ,so i see all your info is outa a book ,,i see now ...no hands on experience ...

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
oh ,so i see all your info is outa a book ,,i see now ...no hands on experience ...

Actually....you're wrong again, but nice try. Try reading post #57 smart guy. :roll::-P

As a matter of fact I was just out this past weekend......you???? :wink:

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
your really starting to get on my nerves ..i through fly fishing in there just to keep people happy ..i dont fly fish and never have .... another thing ,winters arent always deep ,many mornings i see them pushing the feed right up to the surface ..so maybe think before you type ..at first light ill start at 40ft and gradually go down to 160ft ..

Should I prepare myself for one of your punching fits?? :mrgreen: :wink:

Sure they're going to be where the bait is but I can tell you this.....if you had ANY experience fishing the Bowen, Howe Sound, Vancouver, Southern Straight of Georgia feeder spring scene you would know that dragging a bucktail is pretty much all but useless.

You have to cover a lot of water and I will tell you in my and MANY, MANY others experience I know it is generally a fishery we work down deep and we utilize spoons 80% of the time with hoochies also mixed in.

You seem to want to create all these polls and ask all sorts of questions.....why don't you think about them a bit before just throwing some poll up to just keep you occupied while your shoulder is all busted up.

Field Marshall stated something about at one time in Campbell River....I am sure it has been done but I can tell you it is something that is RARELY practiced in chasing winter springs.

Plugs would have been a better option on your thread which is titled "saltwater fishing", your poll that asks what your favourite saltwater gear is and your first post that talks about winter fishing.

Regardless.......spoons for me.....hoochies once in a while but primarily small cop car or green glow spoons.....at least that's what I read in a book. :mrgreen:

field marshal
01-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Who's the smart ass here Manitoba boy???? I myself have caught winter Springs on polar hair flies!! We trolled just below the surface from the marina in town down to Big Rock and Shelter Point. I think I'll come up and try it again next year when I'm retired!! Sounds like you know as much about fishing as you do about hockey?? Asshat know it alls like you are a real pain!!!---Cheers---Field Marshal.

jeff
01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
its guys like mb boyyyy that makes me not want to post anthing ..turns things all around and disects everything ..get a life boyyyy

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Who's the smart ass here Manitoba boy???? I myself have caught winter Springs on polar hair flies!! We trolled just below the surface from the marina in town down to Big Rock and Shelter Point. I think I'll come up and try it again next year when I'm retired!! Sounds like you know as much about fishing as you do about hockey?? Asshat know it alls like you are a real pain!!!---Cheers---Field Marshal.

Never claimed to be a know it all nor call anyone a smart ass...but thanks for the vote!!!

You, like Jeff may have trouble reading posts but I do not doubt you have caught them on flies. If you'll read what I stated there are much more effective and popular ways of chasing them.

Old crusty farts who have trouble following statements made and have to resort to name calling are a breath of stale air.

I guess an opinion on hockey or fishing is only warranted by the elder statesmen??? As for Jeff.....he brings the sarcasm on himself.

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 08:14 PM
its guys like mb boyyyy that makes me not want to post anthing ..turns things all around and disects everything ..get a life boyyyy

Hahahaha. Jeff.......post away as that is what this forum is all about, I am just saying with your polls you don't really think about them before posting.

I voted for flies just to balance out the vote. :wink:

field marshal
01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Manitoba "child" you are the one who said jeff was wrong for using fly fishing as an option for winter Springs!!! You've been proven "WRONG" but you can't accept the fact because your overblown ego won't allow it!! Of course there are much more effective ways to winter fish , so be a man and apologize to jeff
or forevever be stuck with the poor sport tag!!! ---CHEERS----Field Marshal.

Island Redneck
Hahahaha. Jeff.......post away as that is what this forum is all about, I am just saying with your polls you don't really think about them before posting.

MB-Boy; why dont you post a list of salt water gear YOU think should be on the poll if you think that list is wrong. Post it up.

jeff

listen flatlander ,your from manitoba i hear .. i grew in port alberni ,barclay sound .got thousands of fishing hours under my belt ..im not going to listen to you .

jeff
01-09-2012, 08:25 PM
ive already said this earyer but ill say it again ..mootching should have been ,jigs...........flyfishing shoulda been ,flies ...........

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 08:30 PM
ive already said this earyer but ill say it again ..mootching should have been ,jigs...........flyfishing shoulda been ,flies ...........

Fair enough Jeff......that would have made a bit more sense but perhaps you can see where the confusion was at first with your thread asking about Saltwater fishing in general, your poll asking about gear and your thread about Winter Springs which I called a feeder and your intial replies seemed as though you had no clue what I was talking about.

I don't doubt dragging some big bucktails down deep are going to work......and I don't doubt that they "may" work on the surface if you can find shallow bait concentrations being chased by springs. But as you noted in your previous post I wouldn't call that "saltwater fly fishing"......it's just trolling a fly just like you would a spoon. I do NOT doubt they would work as I have some nice bucktails that I have towed down below the surface off the rigger cable.

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Manitoba "child" you are the one who said jeff was wrong for using fly fishing as an option for winter Springs!!! You've been proven "WRONG" but you can't accept the fact because your overblown ego won't allow it!! Of course there are much more effective ways to winter fish , so be a man and apologize to jeff
or forevever be stuck with the poor sport tag!!! ---CHEERS----Field Marshal.

Marshall......I very much appreciate your labelling me once again. It states a lot when you have to resort to name calling to get your point across....you may want to teach that to YOUR younger folk. I really don't need to take orders from you unless you became HBC's Brendan Shanahan??

No ego here fine sir but I can place my tongue firmly in cheek with a tone of sarcasm......but I guess people can't debate on this forum or question anything? Or is this to just be the Gospel according to Field Marshall?

I'll tell ya what.....I have nothing to apologize for other than I guess I ruffled both of your feathers; given the "ruffling" I have seen Jeff do I don't so much see a reason to listen to your orders.

Funny.....I am going back and forth with Jeff and then you need to come waddling in and tell me I know nothing about fishing and hockey (where the hockey reference came from I don't know). I have been out here for 18 years and done more than my fair share of saltwater fishing......and have played hockey and been a huge fan since I was a wee little fella. Having an opinion about hockey is something I am entitled to and perhaps you can dig up in the Nucks/Wings threads where I am completely out to lunch?

You apologize for calling me an asshat and a child and perhaps I'll consider an apology. :mrgreen: ;-)

lorneparker1
01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
listen flatlander ,your from manitoba i hear .. i grew in port alberni ,barclay sound .got thousands of fishing hours under my belt ..im not going to listen to you .

Barkely Sound you mean? Which areas are your favourite out there jeff?

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
MB-Boy; why dont you post a list of salt water gear YOU think should be on the poll if you think that list is wrong. Post it up.

Hey Redneck...

I think he was right on with his first three for winter springs as they were a type of lure. Sure....you could throw bucktails on there too but 2 of his options were a way to fish and not so much gear.

Any of us who have chased winters know that it is far from being a real exact science as it's definitely the toughest fishery throughout the year to find regular success.

field marshal
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't think of apologizing to someone who fits all the criteria of an internet BULLY.----Cheers---Field Marshal.

jeff
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Barkely Sound you mean? Which areas are your favourite out there jeff?

well i own a cabin in kldonin inlet down by the indian res,..some of my fav holes are vernon bay,pill point ,diplock ,rainy bay ,bamfield wall ,swale rock ..even my night bite spot san mataoe bay..

frenchbar
01-09-2012, 08:54 PM
funhog the Bully hahaha....

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't think of apologizing to someone who fits all the criteria of an internet BULLY.----Cheers---Field Marshal.

Hahaha........ya Mr. Marshall.....that's me. :roll: I am the cyber-bully that your grandkids tell you about. :?

I am not bullying anyone but I guess we'll just go by your opinion. I guess that makes you a bully as well for beaking off names at me and ORDERING me to adhere to YOUR requests??

Good luck dude. :p

Jeff.....why don't you share some ideas on colours of lures that you use for the Winters in your old haunts? Do you only fish that side or do you fish the local English Bay, Bowen, Howe Sound, Straight of Georgia winter scene at all?

I know in the "local" scene the usual staples of spoons tend to be the ticket in a 3.5-4.0 size. I have a few pretty simple and straight forward hoochies that I'll go to awa well.....but the gear tends to be fairly simple/common stuff. I have also found some glo spackleback hoochies to have worked over the years but they tend to be a bit more later in the season, December thru March is pretty much spoons and nothing fancy or exotic.

MB_Boy
01-09-2012, 09:00 PM
funhog the Bully hahaha....

hahaha frenchy.....I can deal with "sarcastic" but being called a bully, smartass AND a child in the same thread really, really hurts!!! :cry: :? I haven't even been called that many names in the Wings thread I created for you boys.

I just get a kick that I am called a bully by some dude who doesn't know me, is ordering me around and calling me names; the irony is awesome. :mrgreen:

jeff
01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Hahaha........ya Mr. Marshall.....that's me. :roll: I am the cyber-bully that your grandkids tell you about. :?

I am not bullying anyone but I guess we'll just go by your opinion. I guess that makes you a bully as well for beaking off names at me and ORDERING me to adhere to YOUR requests??

Good luck dude. :p

Jeff.....why don't you share some ideas on colours of lures that you use for the Winters in your old haunts? Do you only fish that side or do you fish the local English Bay, Bowen, Howe Sound, Straight of Georgia winter scene at all?

I know in the "local" scene the usual stapes of spoons tend to be the ticket in a 3.5-4.0 size. I have also found some glo spackleback hoochies to have worked over the years but they tend to be a bit more later in the season, December thru March is pretty much spoons and nothing fancy or exotic.

skunk hootchie ,remove all mylar ,42 inch leader behind red gibbs flasher ..then the nasty boy coyote spoon 3.5 ..with a six ft leader behind same flasher ...

CanuckShooter
Hey MB boy don't feel bad....I don't know anything about hockey either, so we have something in common! :-)

Island Redneck
Hey Redneck...

I think he was right on with his first three for winter springs as they were a type of lure. Sure....you could throw bucktails on there too but 2 of his options were a way to fish and not so much gear.

Any of us who have chased winters know that it is far from being a real exact science as it's definitely the toughest fishery throughout the year to find regular success.

MB-Boy: your just knit picken about nothin, you use different gear for fly fishing than trolling and different gear for mooching than trolling: Post your list up.

I think there is a few of you guy's that are just trying to push the OP.ers buttons and you know the mods. are going to let you get away with it and jump all over him if he responds.

Post your friggen list for a new poll.

frenchbar
[QUOTE=MB_Boy;1060768] I haven't even been called that many names in the Wings thread I created for you boys

We aren't done with you yet lol more insults to come

jeff
01-09-2012, 09:35 PM
one thing that worked well on this side ,,bowen island and in front of gibsons ..tiny teasers .buy the tiny teaser heads then buy super herring strip ,cut them in half ,right down the center ..then they will fit in the tiny teaser head ..they seemed to work well on this side ..make sure the roll is fast and tight ..troll around 2.2 mph ..depending if your going against or with the tide ..you can always tell if your speed is ok by the angle of your downrigger cable .. if you have a 10lbs cannonball and fish at 100ft your cable angle should be around20 degrees ..anymore your too fast .if it straight up and down speed up ..

The Dawg
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I like to try a worm and bobber while drinking a beer from my jetski, in a no powered watercraft area. Did I mention I dont have my operator card either?

fuzzybiscuit
01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Back in the 70's and early 80's, trolling Polar Bear Bucktails with an Abalone spinner on the surface tight along the kelp beds was very popular in the Campbell River area. There was more bait and the kelp beds were thicker and the edges more defined.

By the late 80's and early 90's pretty much everyone had switched over to downriggers for winter springs and Bucktailing went the way of the Dodo bird.

I miss those days as fishing with a fly rod and Bucktail on the surface was way more exciting than dragging a feeder up from 150+ feet off a downrigger at the Light House using a flasher and Hootchie.

Unfortunately, a lot of the kelp is gone and you could go days without seeing any bait near the surface.

I'm also sure that if I fished for winter springs back in the day the same way as I do now, I would have caught more fish.

jeff
01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Back in the 70's and early 80's, trolling Polar Bear Bucktails with an Abalone spinner on the surface tight along the kelp beds was very popular in the Campbell River area. There was more bait and the kelp beds were thicker and the edges more defined.

By the late 80's and early 90's pretty much everyone had switched over to downriggers for winter springs and Bucktailing went the way of the Dodo bird.

I miss those days as fishing with a fly rod and Bucktail on the surface was way more exciting than dragging a feeder up from 150+ feet off a downrigger at the Light House using a flasher and Hootchie.

Unfortunately, a lot of the kelp is gone and you could go days without seeing any bait near the surface.

I'm also sure that if I fished for winter springs back in the day the same way as I do now, I would have caught more fish.

your so right about the feed ..in the 80,s the feed boils were everywhere for the first hour of daylight ..it was an awsome sight and made for awsome fishing.the feed balls are still showing up on the sounder but the salmon just aint chasing them to the surface ,cuz the salmon just arent as plentyfull .nor is the feed ..last year in may down the barkley sound ,the feed was there in droves and so were the salmon . i can say that weekend was the best fishing ive ever encountered down there ..no bullshit ,i couldnt even finish my beer ,there wasnt more than a minute of the whole trip that we didnt have a fish on .. we even tried to get away from them so we could enjoy a beer in peace ,but that didnt work ..hope its like that again this may ......

Mr. Dean
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I think there is a few of you guy's that are just trying to push the OP.ers buttons.

I agree.

The horse has been beat to death.
Move on!

jeff
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM
just got off the phone with my brother ,hes in camp down near bamfield .there camps right on the water .hes gotten out for a few night bites .got 4 fish ,biggest 12lbs ..not bad ..also the crabbin is awsome ...lucky job where you can set crab traps and go fishing right after work ..except being a faller this time of year would suck ass ..

CanuckShooter
01-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Being a faller would suck no matter the time of year! Only thing worse would to be a burger peddlar, or alcoholic!!

jeff
01-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Being a faller would suck no matter the time of year! Only thing worse would to be a burger peddlar, or alcoholic!!

just this time of year on the west coast of the island can get dammmm wet,,,better be carefull we dont wanna get booted from the same thread ..haha.. i had a few comments but i kept them to myself

Tikka270wsm
01-10-2012, 12:33 AM
I voted for mooching as I've never owned a boat with downriggers. I grew up fishing Samsum narrows just outside Cowichan Bay. A buddy of mine and I used to play hooky from high school and load up his 12 ft aluminum with an 8 horse into the pickup. There is a sandy plateau in the narrows that we jigged up many fish using rip tide strikers. Those lures were dynamite for us until they changed the colors. Couldn't buy a bite after the colors changed. After that, we started cut plugging with a 4 ounce weight at 17-23 pulls off the kelp beds. We used 12 foot leaders with an extra swivel halfway down the leader to avoid line twists. During the winter, the bait was very small so we would make our cuts about a third of the way down the herring from the tip of the nose.Our plugs were now about 3-3 1/2 inches in length. We hammered them! We never got a Winter Spring over 10 pounds but by far, they were the best eating springs I've ever had.

This thread actually got me thinking of those times and how things have changed. I now have buddies that own nice rigs and troll deep for winters. I occasionally get out and it is alot of fun but there is something to be said about catching springs by mooching. There's nothing like fishing a vertical line and having a nice spring smash the lure or cutplug , burying half the rod under water with massive headshakes.

jeff
01-10-2012, 12:39 AM
I voted for mooching as I've never owned a boat with downriggers. I grew up fishing Samsum narrows just outside Cowichan Bay. A buddy of mine and I used to play hooky from high school and load up his 12 ft aluminum with an 8 horse into the pickup. There is a sandy plateau in the narrows that we jigged up many fish using rip tide strikers. Those lures were dynamite for us until they changed the colors. Couldn't buy a bite after the colors changed. After that, we started cut plugging with a 4 ounce weight at 17-23 pulls off the kelp beds. We used 12 foot leaders with an extra swivel halfway down the leader to avoid line twists. During the winter, the bait was very small so we would make our cuts about a third of the way down the herring from the tip of the nose.Our plugs were now about 3-3 1/2 inches in length. We hammered them! We never got a Winter Spring over 10 pounds but by far, they were the best eating springs I've ever had.

This thread actually got me thinking of those times and how things have changed. I now have buddies that own nice rigs and troll deep for winters. I occasionally get out and it is alot of fun but there is something to be said about catching springs by mooching. There's nothing like fishing a vertical line and having a nice spring smash the lure or cutplug , burying half the rod under water with massive headshakes.

i no ,doesnt this thread just make ya wanna get a rod in the water ..thankfully i already got a trip planned for feb..theres nothing like catching a nice spring while mootching .i mostly troll ,but have managed a few springs while jigging bottom fish ..

Tikka270wsm
01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
No doubt. Getting antsy to get out there but it won't be for a while for me. Our second daughter was born on Dec.23 so I'm staying close to home for a while. Shit...wait a minute...maybe I'll just invite the wife's sister out for a visit while I go and play on the chuck!. LOL Some of my best ideas somehow stem from making fishing/hunting plans.

Johnnybear
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I like to try a worm and bobber while drinking a beer from my jetski, in a no powered watercraft area. Did I mention I dont have my operator card either?

Best post on this thread NoahDawg!:-D

I voted spoons. I'm a metalhead at heart. I like fishing bait and hootchies but over the last 3 or so years usually fish spoons. Smaller ones in green and white, cop car, and armytruck.

01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I am a spoon guy, Coyote Glow/green 3" behind purple glow Flasher.

As for depth that is dependant on where you are. You dont need "DEEP" water at all.

Side note MB BOY reguardless of how you think of Jeff, Id rather go out with a borne and bread West Coaster then some Guy that came from Manatoba.

MB_Boy
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I am a spoon guy, Coyote Glow/green 3" behind purple glow Flasher.

As for depth that is dependant on where you are. You dont need "DEEP" water at all.

Side note MB BOY reguardless of how you think of Jeff, Id rather go out with a borne and bread West Coaster then some Guy that came from Manatoba.

Winter springs.....I am as noted a very similar set up and yes I agree that your depth is going to depend where you are.

Dru....that's great and thank you for your "provincial stereotyping" comment. :wink:

I guess I should just stick to the Sand River road casting spin gear on the north side of Kennedy Lake; us Tobans are good at stuff like that. :wink: :-P :mrgreen:

Samsquatch
01-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Im the only one who anchors in 130 feet of water, puts on my type VI sinking line and drops bucktails down? Takes about an hour to get down there and you never know really how deep you are, and you can't keep any line tension, and I haven't ever caught anything that way but im also borne and bread in B.C and its my bestest most favoritest way to fish for them. Maybe one of the five other people who picked fly fishing have had some success, but yea but this MB_boy, pfff he's from manitoba so if you really want to get into fish, ignore everything he said and bring out your fly rods, eventually someone will get into some fish.

MB_Boy
01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Maybe one of the five other people who picked fly fishing have had some success, but yea but this MB_boy, pfff he's from manitoba so if you really want to get into fish, ignore everything he said and bring out your fly rods, eventually someone will get into some fish.

I picked fly fishing in the poll if you actually read the thread. :wink:

But ya....."squatch"....just like you I haven't caught any fish since moving out here MANY years ago...like close to you being in diapers and learning not to shat in your drawers.:wink: :mrgreen:

Bunch of racist people. :p

Samsquatch
01-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I picked fly fishing in the poll if you actually read the thread. :wink:

But ya....."squatch"....just like you I haven't caught any fish since moving out here MANY years ago...like close to you being in diapers and learning not to shat in your drawers.:wink: :mrgreen:

Bunch of racist people. :p

Yerr takin errr jeeewwwbs, god dang fornier, *spits dip inot cup*

So i assume you must fish a similiar method to me then I'm assuming? Personally I wouldnt think trolling a fly would have any advantages whatsoever, no action to it like a spoon or plug even with the flasher, no scent like bait. Coho sure fill yer boots but if your using flies other than long line chironomid fishing, fill me in please.

MB_Boy
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Yerr takin errr jeeewwwbs, god dang fornier, *spits dip inot cup*

So i assume you must fish a similiar method to me then I'm assuming? Personally I wouldnt think trolling a fly would have any advantages whatsoever, no action to it like a spoon or plug even with the flasher, no scent like bait. Coho sure fill yer boots but if your using flies other than long line chironomid fishing, fill me in please.

Fornier here.......hahaha.

(As for the poll.....if you read the whole thread which isn't really worth it anymore you'll get why; really just the last few pages have been the best ones)

To be honest....the original thread way, way back was about fishing for Winter springs; I do drag bucktails out off the WCVI for coho and have managed actually picking up a spring too. As for winter springs.....I am predominantly a spoon guy with some bait or hoochies mixed in throughout the winter. Once you get into the warmer months it is a mixed bag for me and depending if I am fishing on the inside of the Island, outside, up the inside passage or the local Vancouver scene.

Samsquatch
01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Yea i skimmed through and I must say it is a very very informative thread on all things feeder fishing. I personally haven't fished much for winter springs, but I do understand the fundamentals and like you, I have caught coho and seen springs taken in the summer, and people catch them off the beaches all the time (relatively speaking). But your right, it really varies from spot to spot, day to day 110' or 85'.

01-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Dru....that's great and thank you for your "provincial stereotyping" comment. :wink:

It was the only thing i could come up wit at the moment,,,,, Sorry i know its kinda weak. :mrgreen:

MB_Boy
01-11-2012, 10:30 AM
It was the only thing i could come up wit at the moment,,,,, Sorry i know its kinda weak. :mrgreen:

It's all good!! :wink: :mrgreen: I've been out here a long time and still can't shake the "immigrant" label with buddies of mine. :razz:

01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Oh ya,,, Good luck getting to Sand River or Angora by road anymore...... Second Bridge is done and the road is grown in!
Take a boat and cross the lake!

MB_Boy
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Oh ya,,, Good luck getting to Sand River or Angora by road anymore...... Second Bridge is done and the road is grown in!
Take a boat and cross the lake!

Wow....so that entire area is shut off from vehicle or foot traffic unless you have a boat. The road being grown in doesn't surprise me as the Sand River was REALLY grown in when I drove along there about 5 years ago.

01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Yep i walked it about three years ago. Just to take the dogs for a walk. We were pushing bush.
We once drove a Corolla out there at 75kmh going to Angora beach. Now you Cant even walk it.

Thred Contribution.
Good winters off the Red Can if you can get there.
I also like big Glow cuddlefish, especially in Ukee. Around Great Bear and Alley or Chrow.

jeff
01-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Yep i walked it about three years ago. Just to take the dogs for a walk. We were pushing bush.
We once drove a Corolla out there at 75kmh going to Angora beach. Now you Cant even walk it.

Thred Contribution.
Good winters off the Red Can if you can get there.
I also like big Glow cuddlefish, especially in Ukee. Around Great Bear and Alley or Chrow.

cuddlefish style eh ..i dont like em that much .my brother loves them ..i just havent tried them that much..theres just to much gear that i no works so trying new stuff is tuff ..whenever the fishing really sucks i either fly my glow bud ,skunk ,or go to herring strip ..

01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Ya the solid glow cuddlefish, stuff it full of glow beads too.
My buddy used to "Stuff" his hootchies. sometimes double up the hootchie, stick a needlefish hootchie into another...... Funny thing is it worked!

I have never used Strip. wouldnt know what to do with it!

ya ever wonder about the "OLD" gear thoes great big spoons you used to use, silver copper or silver brass,,,,, i cant remember the name of them i havent seen one in years. Id love to toss one of them back again just for fun!

jeff
01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
My buddy used to "Stuff" his hootchies. sometimes double up the hootchie, stick a needlefish hootchie into another...... Funny thing is it worked!

ya ever wonder about the "OLD" gear thoes great big spoons you used to use, silver copper or silver brass,,,,, i cant remember the name of them i havent seen one in years. Id love to toss one of them back again just for fun!

the stuff that was in my grampas fishing box from the 40,s and 50,s kinda made ya wonder ..but i guess the fish were way more plentyfull back then ..remember the old abenel flashers ,you would bend them to change the flasher roll to fast or slow ..my dad used to just watch the rod tip and that would determine wether the abanel needed more bending ..gotta say they worked well

MB_Boy
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Have done that myself....both with beads and also a needlefish skirt inside a larger hootchie.

I have heard of some good tactics including what Jeff had mentioned using strip but over here it's tough to find it at times....which usually just keeps me using chovie/herring instead.

Are they the "Diamond Lance" spoons?

01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Well i bet your right with the "More fish in the water" theory. There sure as heck were more in my lifetime when i started commercial fishing. That has to count for something with some of that older gear. More fish = higher percentage of dum ones! And in that is why i never say people are "Wrong" in their choice of gear, they might just be less right then you!

Summer i fish Bait first then gear
Winter i fish gear first then bait.

https://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/media/catalog/category/luhr-jensen-glo-green-coyote-spoon-thmb.jpg

the bomb!

jeff
01-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Have done that myself....both with beads and also a needlefish skirt inside a larger hootchie.

I have heard of some good tactics including what Jeff had mentioned using strip but over here it's tough to find it at times....which usually just keeps me using chovie/herring instead.

Are they the "Diamond Lance" spoons?

one very important note when useing herring strip .make sure you have the propper teaser head corisponding with your herring .theres large herring strip and teaser .and theres super herring and teaser ,match them up properly ..if the strip is cut too thick it wont roll ,so sometimes you have to shave it down with your fillet knife..herring strip works extremely well . just a bit costly when the bites on ..

01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
diamond lance is ringing bells......

jeff
01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Well i bet your right with the "More fish in the water" theory. There sure as heck were more in my lifetime when i started commercial fishing. That has to count for something with some of that older gear. More fish = higher percentage of dum ones! And in that is why i never say people are "Wrong" in their choice of gear, they might just be less right then you!

Summer i fish Bait first then gear
Winter i fish gear first then bait.

https://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/media/catalog/category/luhr-jensen-glo-green-coyote-spoon-thmb.jpg

the bomb!

you ever used the nasty boy spoon .red white and black

01-11-2012, 02:05 PM
. sometimes you have to shave it down with your fillet knife..

my buddy ,,,, in a pinch used to shave herring nose's down to fit in a chovie teaser! looked funny but he did get a roll

jeff
01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
my buddy ,,,, in a pinch used to shave herring nose's down to fit in a chovie teaser! looked funny but he did get a roll

sometimes you gotta try different things when nothings biteing and a herring strip in a chovie holder could very well do the trick ..have you ever heard of the tiny teasers..there herring strip that resembles the needle fish feed..they are deadly for catching shakers ..

MB_Boy
01-11-2012, 02:20 PM
diamond lance is ringing bells......

If I recall correctly they used to have them at PN&T or Nikka in Steveston....I had a couple a few years back (and may still have them) that I think I got out there.

01-11-2012, 02:25 PM
You know i think yer right,, in my minds eye there was a diamond on it. They were about 6-8" long and tear drop shape but with a "Hard" edge not "Dished" like a real spoon.

bigdaddy
02-15-2012, 10:52 PM
was out on the other day in barcley sound and landed a 22 pounder on the skunk hootchie that jeff mentioned was his hot go to hootchie

02-16-2012, 09:40 AM
22, thats a doosie Winter! Good work

Jeff88
04-12-2012, 08:10 PM
well i see bait is leading by alot ... i wanted to bring this thread up again ..see if we can get more votes on the poll...go hootchies...

Jeff88
04-12-2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG103gear.jpg

went to army navy the other day for a jacket ...well heres what i left with

Jim Prawn
04-13-2012, 11:03 PM
With my success rate I'm starting to the think the supermarket looks pretty good. Anyone wanna come over for a nice BBQed farm raised Atlantic Salmon?
JP

The Dude
04-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Mmmmmm...farm raised Atlantics! Yummy!!!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/SimpLife118/Cute%20Pics/Frankenfish.jpg