PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Swap?

darrin6109
01-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Saw this on another site......trading hunts? Good idea but.... its not legal as far as i am concerned (guess it all depends on the wording?). Your thoughts?

500grhollowpoint
01-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Not sure what you are referring to, swapping tags? No brainer, not legal. Having said that, I'm sure lots of people shoot on other peoples tags. bad idea.

BiG Boar
01-06-2012, 01:13 PM
http://www.menoutdoors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556

They have a whole hunt swap section.

But what would you want to hunt in the rest of the country? We got it all here dude!

darrin6109
01-06-2012, 01:15 PM
actually thats where i saw the link Big Boar, just thought the concept was cool.

bighornbob
01-06-2012, 02:22 PM
actually thats where i saw the link Big Boar, just thought the concept was cool.

Its a good idea and I think its great. I met a guy online that lives in Montana and he took me out Antelope hunting. He told me where to apply for the tag, we went to his favorite area where he had knew the land and some of the land owners and we split the expences like it was a good buddy up here going on a local deer hunt. I would love to take him up north for a moose or a caribou, something he would never have a chance at.

The one thing I get a crack at is the guys in the US that want to trade a squirrel or duck hunt out east for a alpine elk hunt out west. Obviuosly its all they can offer and good on them for trying.

BHB

shottyshooter
01-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi All... I'm new to hunting and have been lurking here for a while just learning and such... I'm hoping I can survive posting without too much of a beating LOL!

Intent is very black and white - so if I intend to pay someone (cash or otherwise) to achieve a goal (trophy etc.) then I am looking for a guide and should pay a legal one.

Obviously the "Guiding/accompany" thing is meant to ensure some sort of Govn't control over licencing outfitters and protecting things such as conservation and business activities or taxes related to tourism etc. They don't want any tax evading business going on and they want to be able to pull your licencing if you're proving to be innapropriate.

As a resident licenced to hunt - a new hunter (or an experienced one looking to a new animal or region) looking for mentorship in order to learn sounds like a good idea - What better way to learn.

Forums like this are a form of social networking that would allow me to meet a hunter/mentor/new friend. So if you're in a Moose area and want to show me what's what with your region and Moose hunting I'm going to become a better, more educated and presumably more ethical hunter.

If I can return the favor by teaching you about another area or even a completely different subject then I'm mentoring you and - like all relationships in life - some work and continue into great friendships and others... well turn out otherwise LOL!

To offer a hunt/swap is simply saying I need to learn about something new and I'm willing to help you if I can too. If any party is motivated solely by a material gain then it's a business transaction and needs to follow the appropriate rules.

Perhaps the concept should drop the hunt/swap label and just say mentoring???

wicket
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
looking to trade a hunt......... offering an eastern grey squirrel hunt fully guided with accommodations here in the squirrel meca of southern ontario. Will provide use of a classic squirrel rifle winchester 69A, will process game package for transport and provide all meals. would like to trade this hunt for an elk hunt or a black bear hunt in BC................I think thats all the details interested parties should PM me. thanks wicket :)

seriously I think swap hunts are a great idea if there is enough communication between the interested parties. aside from the animals i think its trading the hunt experience as much as the animal. you can always learn something new from others regardless if you hunt BC moose or ontario moose. ps dont knock trading duck hunts I guide at a private marsh that some would give a testicle to hunt at. The last charity auction hunt we sponsored sold for 9800 US for 4 hunters 2 day shoot

CanuckShooter
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Hi All... I'm new to hunting and have been lurking here for a while just learning and such... I'm hoping I can survive posting without too much of a beating LOL!

Intent is very black and white - so if I intend to pay someone (cash or otherwise) to achieve a goal (trophy etc.) then I am looking for a guide and should pay a legal one.

Obviously the "Guiding/accompany" thing is meant to ensure some sort of Govn't control over licencing outfitters and protecting things such as conservation and business activities or taxes related to tourism etc. They don't want any tax evading business going on and they want to be able to pull your licencing if you're proving to be innapropriate.

As a resident licenced to hunt - a new hunter (or an experienced one looking to a new animal or region) looking for mentorship in order to learn sounds like a good idea - What better way to learn.

Forums like this are a form of social networking that would allow me to meet a hunter/mentor/new friend. So if you're in a Moose area and want to show me what's what with your region and Moose hunting I'm going to become a better, more educated and presumably more ethical hunter.

If I can return the favor by teaching you about another area or even a completely different subject then I'm mentoring you and - like all relationships in life - some work and continue into great friendships and others... well turn out otherwise LOL!

To offer a hunt/swap is simply saying I need to learn about something new and I'm willing to help you if I can too. If any party is motivated solely by a material gain then it's a business transaction and needs to follow the appropriate rules.

Perhaps the concept should drop the hunt/swap label and just say mentoring???

Well said new guy....:-)

01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
It is legal and it happens all the time. Sure people will see some grey and make up a reason why it is illegal.
You are simply asking someone to take you hunting and in return you will take them fishing or something of the sort. I have friends that have a great setup with WCVI trips and Sturgeon. You are offering to take someone out. Then they offer to take you out. No money is given to the other guy.

If some people want to get all wound up over this then fly at it. But I have no problem with it and i have actually got "Dues in" in the pot
I took My wifes, sisters, friends dad out WCVI for winters. In turn i will get to walk behind his dog on his farm in Saskatchewan...... Come'n get me
"Im the bad guy"

lorneparker1
01-06-2012, 06:18 PM
looking to trade a hunt......... offering an eastern grey squirrel hunt fully guided with accommodations here in the squirrel meca of southern ontario. Will provide use of a classic squirrel rifle winchester 69A, will process game package for transport and provide all meals. would like to trade this hunt for an elk hunt or a black bear hunt in BC................I think thats all the details interested parties should PM me. thanks wicket :)

seriously I think swap hunts are a great idea if there is enough communication between the interested parties. aside from the animals i think its trading the hunt experience as much as the animal. you can always learn something new from others regardless if you hunt BC moose or ontario moose. ps dont knock trading duck hunts I guide at a private marsh that some would give a testicle to hunt at. The last charity auction hunt we sponsored sold for 9800 US for 4 hunters 2 day shoot

bradleys? Ed fochays(sp?) place?

Lorne

Gun Dog
01-06-2012, 06:21 PM
It is legal and it happens all the time. Sure people will see some grey and make up a reason why it is illegal.Page 9 of the current Hunting & Trapping reg provides details about when you can and can't "take someone out hunting". For a start:

- Non-residents of BC hunting big game must be accompanied by either a licensed BC guide or a resident who holds a Permit to Accompany.
- A Canadian non-resident of BC can be accompanied by any BC resident.
- A Non-Canadian can be accompanied by certain relatives (there's a list).
- A BC resident can obtain ONE Permit to Accompany per license year.
- Money (or being paid) has nothing to do with it.

Like all things government, some situations are allowed (i.e. legal) and some aren't. Hooking up with some random person from another country on the Internet is definately on the NOT ALLOWED list.

wicket
01-06-2012, 06:26 PM
bradleys? Ed fochays(sp?) place?

Lorne

def not bradleys or eds place ....hmmmm you have duck knowledge keep naming names you might pick the right place lorne :)

Moose63
01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
A squirrel for an elk?? I get you point, but I think you have to raise the ante...

wicket
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
thats a 3 day squirrel hunt thats 15 squirrels for an elk Sir. yah im a little punchy from lack of sleep. my real bro has been flaking out on our BC hunts so Im looking for new BC hunting brothers :) to sponsor me. yah im not really serious about the squirrel swap although i do hunt them every fall with that rifle. about the only really cool thing i do that I dont hear a lot about in BC is bowfishing.

EastKootenay
01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
I dont hear a lot about in BC is bowfishing.

I tried that bowfishing once but the arrows kept bouncing off the ice. :-)

A guy goes out on the ice....drills a hole and starts fishing....he hears a voice from above, "You need to fish somehwere else"...so the guy moves, drills a new hole and starts fishing again. He hears the voice again telling him to fish somewhere else...so he moves and drills another hole. After the third hole he hears the voice once more "This is the Arena Manager....you need to fish somewhere else".

budismyhorse
01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
835....... Theres nothing wrong with trading hunts ..... No one is disputing that so quit being such a drama queen. ..... Again.

Gateholio
01-06-2012, 08:50 PM
I often wonder how our "permit to accompany" regulations came to be. It wouldn't surprise me to find that it was put in place after extensive lobbying by the outfitters. :)

Darksith
01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I tried that bowfishing once but the arrows kept bouncing off the ice. :-)

A guy goes out on the ice....drills a hole and starts fishing....he hears a voice from above, "You need to fish somehwere else"...so the guy moves, drills a new hole and starts fishing again. He hears the voice again telling him to fish somewhere else...so he moves and drills another hole. After the third hole he hears the voice once more "This is the Arena Manager....you need to fish somewhere else".

haha, I remember telling that joke about 27 years ago...nice flash from the past.

01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Page 9 of the current Hunting & Trapping reg provides details about when you can and can't "take someone out hunting". For a start:

- Non-residents of BC hunting big game must be accompanied by either a licensed BC guide or a resident who holds a Permit to Accompany.
- A Canadian non-resident of BC can be accompanied by any BC resident.
- A Non-Canadian can be accompanied by certain relatives (there's a list).
- A BC resident can obtain ONE Permit to Accompany per license year.
- Money (or being paid) has nothing to do with it.

Like all things government, some situations are allowed (i.e. legal) and some aren't. Hooking up with some random person from another country on the Internet is definately on the NOT ALLOWED list.

I know, but you are taking me way out of the box. There are obvoius laws that could be broken. When i respond to things like this i just assume people expect that i mean dont break the law. I am not an idiot, obviously there are laws that can be broken. But the op was pretty open in his post, and i sure as hell was not talking about International trip trade.

01-09-2012, 10:13 AM
835....... Theres nothing wrong with trading hunts ..... No one is disputing that so quit being such a drama queen. ..... Again.

Holy crap! I got called a drama queen! I must be getting somewhere here.
Dont worry buddy horse, i got's da tough skin!

Da Queen is out!

Mr. Dean
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Some of you are cutting into MY livelihood and be FOREWARNED!! I'm watching you.

---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

3 day adventures starting at $1185.00 Cdn. Fee is for access only. This is not a Guide Service.

Due to liability issues we can't offer accommodations nor menu's. Bring your tent and a cell phone, there are MANY take out/delivery joints near-bye.

No Trophy Fee's on Squirrel's in BC. We do however impose a three bag limit/day AND can help make arrangements for the mounting of your Trophy, if so desired.

Access fee includes:

- Hunting privileges for 2 (two) people.
- Colour phase opportunity
- Open 10 acres of wooded land (NO FENCES HERE!!)
- Parking for 1 (one) vehicle.
- 2 (two) complimentary showers.

Ala carte items:

- Firewood
- Trailing dogs
- Skinning/Cape preparations.
- Port-a-potties.

*** As well as many of the "Oop's I forgot at home" items....

We also offer ESTABLISHED bait stations for a premium of $300.00/ station.

Maximum of 4 (four) people, at anytime permitted.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC_0006_edited-21.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6981&title=trophy-rodent-hunting40-mrdean-27s-ranch&cat=500 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6981&title=trophy-rodent-hunting40-mrdean-27s-ranch&cat=500)

:-D :-D :-D

wicket
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
What a crock of shite!!!! Im offering a 5 per day squirrel hunt with one of my favourite tack driving winchester rifles and all trophy prep...hell if you want to mount it ill even hold it for you:) come to onterrible folks a trophy squirrel hunt for one of your mangy black bears...now thats a superb deal