PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on the most comfortable and durable boot

cthorne
01-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Im planning my sheep hunt and need some new boots. Ive been wearing Irish setters but want to upgrade to a more comfortable and durable, light-weight boot. My eyes are set on kenetreks, but want to see what other brands are good.

hunter1993ap
01-05-2012, 07:14 PM
i have kenetreks and they are way better than the setters i had before. i would look at lowas because ive herd the soles on the kenetreks dont last as long. ive only had my boots for a couple months and they are great so far. good support, goot traction, and theve kept my feet dry. they also breathe well. we'll see how they hold up in the wet spring snow and how long they last. my setters were comepletly wore out and i had three years out of them, but they were probably done a little less than half of the life i got out of them. i just dont have the money yet to get new boots every year or two. also my setters gave me blisters and the kenetreks dont.

kootenayslam
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
cabela's meindl canadians have been really good for me, leak a bit but otherwise very comfortable on all terrain and have worn well. 2c.

srupp
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
hmmmm I also have the Meindels Canadas....they have held up better than I have..

Steven

The Dude
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Type "sheep boots" in the search window.
It'll give you about 600 pages of opinions.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=1314807&pp=&page=3

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll198/cropdustersteve/dead_horse.gif

rocksteady
01-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Meindl Canada Pros, great ankle support

Woodrow
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM
ive been looking for good boots for years, I have yet to buy a pair that will last me a year. Right now im wearing a pair of la sportiva and so far so good.

mwj
01-05-2012, 08:12 PM
meindl canada pros for me too!

paulgug
01-05-2012, 08:15 PM
i am a huge fan of scarpa boots. i have purchased a couple pairs over the last decade and i have had no complaints. very comfortable and durable. good luck

Drillbit
01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Meindel Alaskans from US Cabelas for me. Really good so far. Sole sticks out a little too far out the front for my liking though.

MIL720
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
another vote for meindl...

huntinnut
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I've had both meindls and garmonts, and the meindls were awesome. I used them for work in the bush and probably got about 400 field days out of them over 3 years.

BlacktailStalker
01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Meindl Dovres, on my second pair.

rocksteady
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I have had 2 pairs of Meindl, first pair finally wnet to crap after 7 years of hard workings....

I am now on my second pair and just this year had to get the upper heel restitched, cost $30, and good as new....

I betcha I wear my meindls 300 days per year.....Hunting, fishing, fire fighting (16 hour days on the uglist ground known to mankind) slogging through swamps,etc, dealing with 4 horses, hay, watering, fencing

Mine cost about $550 complete, but I figue if I get 10 years out of them, amortized its only $50 per year....What boots can you buy for $50 per year every year and be happy with?????? The Meindls are so comfortable that I went down to the sports shop and bought them one morning and then worked 16 hours on a forest fire on really steep shitty rocky shale slopes and did not evn get a single blister...Thee is no break in period, that I have seen...

SimilkameenSlayer
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Type "sheep boots" in the search window.
It'll give you about 600 pages of opinions.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=1314807&pp=&page=3

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll198/cropdustersteve/dead_horse.gif

thanks for that, right mouse, saved....

swampthing
01-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Get the kenetreks. There are other boots as good , I am sure but you cant go wrong with them. I have a 4 year old pair that offer twice the support a new pair of danner canadians have when new. I dont put on anywhere near the miles I used to but my soles are still about 50%.

yugo111
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Lowa Tibet Pro GTX no question about it

Trophyslayer
01-06-2012, 12:14 AM
scarpa escape gtx there awesome took a while to break them a week of chasing goats in the rockies with blisters sucked but now i love them

300WinMag
01-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Another vote for the Scarpas. I believe Mountain Co-op has one of their models on sale right now for $189.00.

Buckzilla
01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Kenetreks got my vote! wear them every day to work construction too. 3 years now and going strong. Feel like ninja slippers on your feet! LIGHT, , Breatheable, WATER-PROOF...

bearhunter338-06
01-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I have a couple pair of Rocky boots that I bought from Canadian Tire on sale 3 or 4 years ago. They fit my feet great, I can wear them for weeks on end and be comfortable on my feet all day long while standing, walking, Hiking even pheasant hunting along the railroad tracks. Every one's feet are different go try on several pairs of boots and walk around the store for a while while you look at other products.

Rodd
01-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Try looking up Climbing Boots! Lots of good boot options... I have 2 pairs of asolo One plastic the other Gortex, and they have been unbelievable boots! I replaced the liners on my plastic set once, and have had them and been using them working in the bush, sheep hunting, and for generally everything for the past 12years! And they are still in good decent shape. I recomend something with solid ankle support for the Alpine Rocky, talus slopes, and side hill gouging. Never have any ankle twisting problems, and you can run down talus...

houndogger
01-06-2012, 11:57 AM

I'll second that!

Brez
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Tried lots and the ONLY ones I will ever buy are the Cabela's Meindl Canada Hunters. I've tried other Meindls and they don't come close. I've bought the same boot in Vancouver and they are not even close - different soles. They give great support, grip rocks like nothing else, do not leak, and resist abrasion. Five sheep hunts, all my elk and muley hunts and they are my preference. I would suggest giving them a good coat of snowseal before sheep hunts and the sharp rocks won't cut the leather. One negative note is that the soles tend to crumble after 8 to 10 years or so....that's not bad as the tread is usually gone by then.

Good Old Outdoors
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I have worn both Lowa's and meindl's for years, i had no issues from them! Too bad they had to get stolen! I useed mine for all sorts of activities not hunting related tho, mostly long ruck marches and patrols, Good enough for the military, they should do you fine.

Husky7mm
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM

I have them and I find after a day of side hilling my right foot hurts like an sob. Its very hard to side hill that direction also. Never had this before, feels like learning to walk again. Think I got a a dud? Wore them all fall they must be broken in. Oh and I have to tie them so tight my feet hurt. Kind of strange as I have pretty big feet....

fisher
01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
i have prospectors ,there getting old .bought them in 2002..best boot ive ever owned .never leaked .super light.800 grams of thinsulite,so very warm ..i dont think they sell them anymore though

kodiak10
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Hanwag's. Best I ever had.

Mtn Man
01-06-2012, 04:41 PM
love the kenetreck mountain 400s, good durable boot, check out the meindls perfects, meindle made a 50th anniversary edition for cabelas and are on for 299, come with cleaning kit, very nice boots, bought a pair and am very impressed,very comfortable from the get go, can't say how long they will last, but they are well made, virtually the same as the canadas, but a very comfortable corked insole. Looking forward to putting them through the grind. My kenetreck mountains have 2 seasons of hard abusive hunting and still look almost new, and are 100% waterproof. can't go wrong with either. glue up th seams with freesole and treat with obenaufs lp guaranteed for a long time. oh ya rockys = shi_.

bruin
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I've tried Meindles and Kennetreks. After repeated creek crossings the Meindles leather deteriorated and started leaking like a sieve, they lasted about a month and a half of backpack hunting for sheep. Even with greasing every 10 days. I had a pair of Kennetreks that were fantastic but two years ago I went through 2 and a half pairs in a season and was very unhappy with them. I think they changed their leather quality or something. I dont know if anything has changed since then. Last year I bought a pair of Hanwags and they've performed very well so far. Very comfy and he leather is still in great condition. Full spring bear season, a month of Asian sheep hunting and a 2 full falls at home chasing mulies etc.

Husky7mm
01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I've tried Meindles and Kennetreks. After repeated creek crossings the Meindles leather deteriorated and started leaking like a sieve, they lasted about a month and a half of backpack hunting for sheep. Even with greasing every 10 days. I had a pair of Kennetreks that were fantastic but two years ago I went through 2 and a half pairs in a season and was very unhappy with them. I think they changed their leather quality or something. I dont know if anything has changed since then. Last year I bought a pair of Hanwags and they've performed very well so far. Very comfy and he leather is still in great condition. Full spring bear season, a month of Asian sheep hunting and a 2 full falls at home chasing mulies etc.
This is the test to go off of, Bruin wouldnt get one hour out of a pair of rockys LOL

fisher
01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
does anyone no if prospectors are still being made ..

f350ps
01-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Google is yer friend! K

hunter1993ap
01-06-2012, 05:49 PM

i would also like to know i have googled it and cant find anything. my dad used to have a pair and they lasted him ten years and other boots he has had last about 2 to three.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Yes, but they don't call them "boots" anymore. The call them "slippers".

They were my first pair of hunting boots.

kayjayess
01-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Hanwag's. Top notch boot

Deaddog
01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Wore me meindls this year for 3 1/2 weeks elk hunting in the tuchodi's , another week in July hiking in the country just north of there and another 3 1/2 weeks in the mountains of krgystan, not a problem, no leaks, tears etc, would recomend them in an instant

brenden
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
I lay out highlead (cable harvest) cutblocks for a living. Scarpa liskamm gtx for me. 6-8 hours a day on 45-75% slopes. I have had meindls fall apart in two months. Literally... sole coming off and holes in the leather. They aren't what they once were. I have three pairs of liskamms which I rotate throughout the week. The oldest pair is three years old and clinging to life but still in better condition than my two month old meindles. Meindle Canada pros are a comfortable boot but you won't see anybody I work with or guide sheep hunts with wearing them. In my opinion the liskamm is about as good as it gets for a mountain boot without going to a full plastic.

OutWest
01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
If you don't mind blisters all over your feet then go with Irish Setters. I tried a pair out after many great years with Danners and absolutely hated them. I've got the Kenetreks now and there's no going back, even to Danner.

Trophyslayer
01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I have a couple pair of Rocky boots that I bought from Canadian Tire on sale 3 or 4 years ago. They fit my feet great, I can wear them for weeks on end and be comfortable on my feet all day long while standing, walking, Hiking even pheasant hunting along the railroad tracks. Every one's feet are different go try on several pairs of boots and walk around the store for a while while you look at other products.
I bought a pair when I first started going after goats and they were the worst thing I have ever worn. That was 8 years ago so maybe they are Hair better

EastKootenay
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Been using the Scarpa Liskam http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/products/MOUNTAIN/MOUNTAIN_MOUNTAINEERING the last few years and I like them much better than the Meindal's.....The Scarpas hold their shape better. One of the better boots I've had for a long time. But my favorite for extended trips up in steep, rocky terrain with involving lot's of scree and talus are by far the full shank molded mountaineering boots...like Koflack, Scapra or Asolo. I found that I got far less foot fatgiue in the solid mountaineering boots than in leather boots especially on 7-10 day trips.

But the one thing I discovered that has been amazing as far as footware goes.....is that I got custom orthotic insoles made by a professional orthotics company. They made them from molds of my feet. They feel weird at first but I wear them in all my footware now...never leave home without em. The trick is that they mold your feet in what is called the natural anatomical postion....which is your foot shape when it is not bearing weight. They cost me as much as my boots (~$400) but worth every penny. If you got any kind of back, knee, hip disorder ask your Doc about custom insoles.....if you get a prescription most health care plans will remimburse you....that's what I did. My physio discovered I have one leg 2cm shorter than the other! The orthotics elminated my knee tendon pain.

Gun Dog
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I use Raichle boots from MEC. They're a lightweight leather hiking boot that's very popular in my hiking club. Naturally Raichle is gone -- they were bought by Mammut and rebranded. Meindl boots used to be popular but they've become expensive and you have to deal with the we-know-best staff at AJ Brooks in Vancouver.

My Raichles looked like this:
http://img2.shoptoit.ca/images/detail/58908000/58908964.jpg

Footbeds can make a big difference. I use the stock Superfeet in work boots and such. I have custom inserts in my ski boots. Most ski shops can make them for around $150.

SimilkameenSlayer
01-06-2012, 10:17 PM
have used koflachs for ice climbing, never considered them for hunting, they make you walk like robocop.

Moose63
01-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm happy with my Rocky boots.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-07-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm happy with my Rocky boots.

X2 very good boots. kinda on the heavier side though.

Jagermeister
01-07-2012, 12:03 AM
3833 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=26163&title=la-spoortiva-glaier-evo-moutain&cat=500)

This is a La Sportiva Glacier EVO Mountain boot. Probably the best mountain boot going. Excellent ankle support, waterproof, very suitable for ice crampon usage.
I have a pair of these and have never experienced a blister when side hill gouging even from the first time I put them on. Very comfortable boot. I do not use these for quadding.

Tony Dingess from Revelation Mountain Outfitters in Alaska says this about boots in his gear list suggestions to clients.

"1 pair top quality mountaineering boots. Whether you choose synthetic (Koflach, Scarpas) or leather (La Sportiva), make sure you are dealing with a real mountaineering boot, and avoid so called hunting boots for sheep country. I am currently using the La Spotiva's Trango, which is a
mid-weight leather mountaineering boot."

I have a pair of Danners that I used for moderate forest hunting and quadding, the La Sportivas are used for more serious slope hiking.

Buck
01-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Like my Meindle Canada pro's very comfortable.

ncurrie
01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
love my mendal's!

wiggy
01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Hanwag trappers are sweet; the meindls and lowas; kenetreks are all great boots; make sure it fits comfortable with the socks you are planning on using for each season; if you want the best made boot that will last a lifetime check out limmer boots. 2 year wait for custom fit; they are a little heavy and not quite tall enough but wow the best constructed boot on earth just plain solid; i wear them everyday for work pleasure anything bullet proof stuff

hunter1993ap
01-07-2012, 09:56 AM
why is this thread in the fishing section?

onpoint
01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I would second Jagermeister and East Kootenay's opinions. I am a foot practitioner (and alpine hunter) and own my own practice and I get this question a lot. The bottom line with boots and comfort is they have to match your feet which does not mean that what works for your buddy or someone on here works for you. Feet are like fingerprints, everyone is a little different in width, shape, strength, flexibility, etc. Reading through all these posts that is very obvious as some people have slammed a certain boot or brand while others swear by them. From a durability perspective, for true alpine hunting you are best to go with one of the European leather/hard shell mountaineering boots (Meindl, Scarpa, La Sportiva, Asolo, Hanwag, Mammut/Raichle, etc.) Of course we have some brands here in North America like Kennetrek that would also fall into this category but they follow a "european" model of boot manufacturing vs. the NA model and because of this have a solid "mountain hunting" following. One of the best things you can do when shopping for boots is to pull out the factory insole/liner that comes with it, put it on the ground and step on top of it. If your foot does not closely match the general shape of that insole (ie. the outside of your foot hangs off of it, or the whole insole is consdierably narrower than your foot) you will have issues, period. Most European boots are built around the "European last". The last is the general shape and volume of the boot, literally a wooden foot and ankle model they use to build the sole and sew the upper around. With the European brands this tends to have a decent curvature, so if you pick a boot up and look at the sole in some cases the boot will almost have a boomerang shape to it. In North America, our wide tend to be wider and straighter so if the boot curves to the inside of your foot (big toe) but your foot is straight or curves to the outside (baby toe) you will have a tough time with that boot (see black/lost toenails, blistering on the outer side of the foot and even ankle instability on tough terrain). This curvature is almost impossible to avoid with the better brands so it comes down to finding a brand that matches your foot as closely as possible. Then as EK said, consider spending the money on some sort of over-the-counter insole or custom orthotic. Factory made boots can only do so much for your specific needs. If you're in a good boot and comfortable the you're set and don't need to worry about this aspect of your boots but if you've spent $400 on boots, are taking 10 days off work to go on your sheep hunt and have had problems with your feet (or for that matter, knees, shins, back, etc.) in the lead-up/training for the hunt this is something to strongly consider. I have had numerous guys come to my practice who head into the Muskwa/Tuchodi area every year and have great boots but still struggle. In all cases, putting a custom orthotic in their boots made HUGE differences. For everyone of them, it changed their hunts. Start with the boot side of things and do your best to match your foot to the factory insole, spend some time around the house in them and then get out and do some hikes, if you're still having issues consider the extra coin on the custom orthotic. As EK said, most extended medical plans will cover them nowadays and if you don't have ext med then you can claim it on your taxes as a personal medical expense. PM if you have questions, happy to help any way I can.

mike_b
01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I've got the Irish Settlers "elk Trackers". I love these boots!! Put a lot of miles on them already, haven't leaked, and are like putting pillows on your feet. I would and have recommended them to buddies. Elk Trackers definately get my vote.

lorneparker1
01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
why did this thread get moved here?

And that is good advice!!^^^ where can you go to try on some of thse high end boots? Seems like everything is online ordering. Does anyone carry them? and on the island?

hunter1993ap
01-07-2012, 08:14 PM
this thread prety much died after it got moved, could someone put it in the right place. thanks

Hunting guy
01-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I have kenetrek 400 extremes that have been replaced once after 2 months use and another pair sent back after only 4 months use. First pair had leather problems and the second has the sole peeling off both boots. Very dry and comfortable but haven't held up as I would expect. Also the traction is very worn on the second set of boots after just one hunting season. I only wear them hunting and never to work. I can say that Kenetrek customer service has been excellent.

Rob
01-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Is the only advantage to the higher boots the ankle support? It seems "backpacking" boots are shorter than the "mountaineering" ones. Ive got the Meindel perfeckt but looking at something different as mine are i need of some repair.

onpoint
01-14-2012, 08:29 AM
The higher ankle would be one of the differences between a "mountaineering" boot and a "backpacking" boot, but with the BP boots you will also usually find more flexible soles and a generally more lightweight construction. If you're looking for a boot for day-trips and just general hunting use and you're not going on a multi-day alpine hunt a backpacking boot would likely be more than fine.

Bear Chaser
01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
I lay out highlead (cable harvest) cutblocks for a living. Scarpa liskamm gtx for me. 6-8 hours a day on 45-75% slopes. I have had meindls fall apart in two months. Literally... sole coming off and holes in the leather. They aren't what they once were. I have three pairs of liskamms which I rotate throughout the week. The oldest pair is three years old and clinging to life but still in better condition than my two month old meindles. Meindle Canada pros are a comfortable boot but you won't see anybody I work with or guide sheep hunts with wearing them. In my opinion the liskamm is about as good as it gets for a mountain boot without going to a full plastic.

Have you spent much time on horseback while wearing the Liskamm's?
I looked at some today and they do look top notch.

RBooth
01-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I have Kenetrex Mountain Extremes and love them. And as said earlier, they don't seem to give you blisters. I bought them last minute before I went on a hike up to 9800feet to see Abott Pass Hut and I had never worn them before. Didn't even blister from that so I stuck with the insoles they came with, couldn't find anything better. A very comfortable boot and have lasted me 2 years of fairly heavy hiking (usually hike 4/8 days in hunting seasion and some shed hunting in the spring and summer hikes). They've held up well so far and home to get a couple mores out of them at least. I wax regularily and don't abuse them.