PDA

View Full Version : Lower mainland guys help!

mark
10-05-2006, 12:52 PM
My brother in law is a rookie hunter but has got a couple deer with me! He lives in maple ridge and would like to try his luck down there. He phoned me asking where he should go? So my quo. is can anyone suggest a good road or area near ridge that he could find a deer. Hes not fussy, spikers are fine! Not asking for honey holes here, just a decent deer area where a rookie could bag something! :)

Elkhound
10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
try westwood plateau it's pretty close

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7392

Just kidding, but what a buck. Hopefully someone who lives close by can maybe take him out for a day trip somewhere

smokey
10-05-2006, 12:59 PM
i'm in the same boat,my old lady is due oct 09 with our baby,and i can't go any where far until this little person is born,i tried harraison east for a day but only seen 1 grouse,people are saying if i walked it i would've had better luck,i also heard people getting bucks on the side roads off the coke mu 2-17

someone please help us both,i would like to have a freezer buck too!
:cry:

Robert_G
10-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Day trips this side of Hope are like a lottery...I'm not joking either.
Between the pressure and how thick the bush is, not to mention these are blacktails and not mulies. Its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Here is a little secret I'm not afraid to share, cause most guys don't have the guts to do it.

Find yourself a little island on the fraser river (east of mission to hope). Preferably 20 acres or more. Get at least 4 guys...(8 would be better), and just bushwack each of you from a different corner. There are NICE bucks bedded down in the thick stuff. If you pound the bush long enough, you'll scare one out..and could be ANY time of the day. I've seen nice 4 pters late evening while boating up and down the river fishing.

Remember...shotguns with buck shot only, and you need the FV special licence.

As for hunting FSRds this side of hope....Pretty much a pipe dream until the early-mid Nov..and even then......

rollingrock
10-05-2006, 02:23 PM
If you're not afraid of some serious hiking into Burke Mountain, you may find some decent bucks up there.

Steeleco
10-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Work the cut blocks up along Harrison West and over the top of Mystery creek to Chealis. I've got a few nice spots on the tops that require some minor damage to the truck!!! but each time I seem to come out of there especially in Nov, I happen across some lucky SOB with a buck down on the main road!!!

Fisher-Dude
10-05-2006, 02:58 PM
i'm in the same boat,my old lady is due oct 09 with our baby,and i can't go any where far until this little person is born,i tried harraison east for a day but only seen 1 grouse,people are saying if i walked it i would've had better luck,i also heard people getting bucks on the side roads off the coke mu 2-17

someone please help us both,i would like to have a freezer buck too!
:cry:

Go huntin', I'm sure she will understand... :wink: :rolleyes:

mark
10-05-2006, 02:59 PM
thanks guys, hes rookie city boy, not a seasoned mountain man. Those islands on the fraser??? pretty thick there, i thought thats where the indians grew dope. Is it a good idea to be bushwhacking in there?

Robert_G
10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
The islands are thick, but with 4 or more guys, the deer will get spooked and run. Sometimes right in front of you. I haven't seen any dope in there, but it wouldn't suprise me. I know of a few people who hunt those islands quite often and do really well. The trick is having a bunch of people to get them moving.

bsa30-06
10-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Harrison east 2-18, roads are pretty easy on the vehicle for the most part and the ones that aren't can easily be walked.The area usually has lots of people around ( in case you run into trouble) but easy to get away from them off the main rds.Some of the side roads have small cut blocks off of them and the bear creek forestry rd goes for along way so you can drive into some areas further back.Just tell him to stay out of there on any long weekend nothing but drunk assholes around at that time, and i mean lots of them.Good luck.

smokey
10-05-2006, 08:40 PM
ya when i was on the east side,we took clear creek fsr and almost ended up in spuzzum before we turn around

Deerwhacker
10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Try harrison west araound 20 mile bay. Ive been up there lots, the key to seeing deer seems to be higher elivation and clover, no tracks no deer. unless you have a hunny hole (wich i dont ) its a matter of finding pockets of deer cause they definatly aint everywhere.