PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions on Image Stabalized Binoculars

BuckEye
01-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Though i'd post up my recent experience with the Canon image stabalized 10x30 bino's. Just getting into hunting in the last few years and was in the market for a resonable set of binoculars. I was on a budget, so the very high end name brands were out for me. I happened to read an article in one of the hunting mags that reviewed many models on binoculars from the high end to the consumer level. The author did a number of tests, and rated each bino based on the results. The high end glass faired the best, but the author did rate the Canon image stabalized binoculars as high in one test and better than average is most of the others. The best rated test I recall was reading different lines of text at a said distance freehand. I was lucky enough to be lent a pair of these bino's for use this hunting season. (Work in a somwhat related undustry)
These bino's have a small rubber button on the top center, just forward of the focus knob. Once the bino's are focused, you simply depress this button and the image stabalizer kicks in and does it's job. I found these simply amazing for a guy that is not all that steady freehand. I was able to focus on objects at great distances and be able to make out much finer detail than I could have without. This allowed me to easily glass longer distances and pick out animals I would likely not have seen. The model I had was not waterproof, but stood up to the following. Mild moisture and rain, bouncing around in the UTV, unfortunatly dropped out the door of the truck onto pavement (no case) when pulling out the jacket they were sitting on. No effect from any of these aside from a small nick in the plastic on the front. The batteries never had to be changed and appear to last a long time. I don't work for Canon, but felt it helpful to those that are not that steady in the hands (like myself) to post my experience. These things were amazing at bringing back the detail without the shake and constant fight for a more stable rest. For that alone, I'm going to get a set, but likely the waterproof ones. As good as the others may be, if I can't stop the shake, it really doesn't matter to me. One guys opinion..
Cheers