PDA

View Full Version : Got 2011 Mounts Finished

matt420
01-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Hey HBC,

well guys i have fnally finished my 2011 mounts :mrgreen:, i was luckey enough to get 2 decent deer and one spiker this season, so i put the 2 that were decent on to plaques, they are a 5x4 whitetail with matching double browtines this was also my first whitetail buck i have ever shot, the other one was my first 4 point mule i have ever shot, hes not the biggest 4 point out there but im glad to say i have shot a point,

here are some pics of them mounted on their plaques, when i bleached the skull plates on them the horns got bleach on them and went white so i restained the whole antlers,
how do they look?

5x4 whitetail
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/werr420/mounts/P1040240.jpg

4 point mule

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/werr420/mounts/P1040238.jpg

keoke
01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I like the field pick beside the mounts, nice touch.

ramron
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I have to agree with sammy j.

lorneparker1
01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Sorry matt420 but those look terrible. And why did you stain them black? You must be smoking something (420) if you think they look good.

Holy fack Sammy, do you ever have anything good to say? Take a look at your contribution to the site over 100 posts. Then take a look in the mirror and ask your self, what went wrong in my life to make me this way... While you are in front of the mirror, take a look down and you might find your answer.

As far as the antlers they look different for sure. Id lke to see a closer picture, but i dont hate them. Considering you made mistake with the bleach (which im sure you'll never do again lol) it looks like a reasonable recovery

budismyhorse
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
calm down Lorneparker.........it takes all kinds.
In the end, even if they look horrible, it doesn't matter, they are your trophy and a memory you'll keep. It does not matter what others think.

cheers, keep at it!

Brian011
01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
One suggestion with the bleached horns, rub some pitch and dirt on them, since that's how they got to be their natural colour in the first place. I did the same thing on a set of horns and I was able to match it good.
I think they turned out alright, it's all up to how you want them to look, if you like them that's all tht matters

deer nut
01-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I prefer Euro mounts or full skull mount myself but if you like 'em, that's all that counts! Glad to see a fellow hunter displaying his trophies with pride!

Bc Deer Hunter
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Very nice deer indeed! :D Good job on those nice bucks! That whitie looks like a hybrid? thanks for sharing.-
Hogan

Young Gun
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
nice deer, like the whitetail rack.

Apolonius
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Nice deer .Everyone has a different idea how things should look...because we see things with different eyes.No one is perfect.In this hunters eyes they are beautiful and can't agree more.Good for you.

kennyj
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
They look great. Nice photos beside them as well.
kenny

Trophyslayer
01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
good job on the bucks! but IMO you should not have stained them that way

Tron
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Looks great, I like the pics with the mount

Ruger4
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry matt420 but those look terrible.

do you work at Sammy J Peppers ? cause their food is terrible............

bigj
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
That whitie looks like a hybrid?
Wondering what you are basing that on? The field pic looks full whitie, and I don't really see anything in the rack that points mulie? Am i missing something?

Bc Deer Hunter
01-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Wondering what you are basing that on? The field pic looks full whitie, and I don't really see anything in the rack that points mulie? Am i missing something?

I feal like a idiot now...... :cry: hahahaha had no clue he had stained it just scolled down and left a comment... and no im missing something ;) Nice bucks regardless tho! :mrgreen: take care
Hogan

bosca
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Congrats on a great season. Nice looking mounts. Did you do these yourself? If so...I am curious about how difficult it is.

Tikka270
01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
A little too dark from what I can tell in the pics. Just my opinion though.

Congrats on a great season.

rattle e 6speed
01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Thank you for sharing your trophies. Too bad that sometimes you can be critcized for voluntarilary sharing your prizes and trophies with us. Looks like a great season to me. A set of antlers on the wall is a reminder of your experiences and will never have the same level of meaning to those that weren't there to see the hunt unfold for themselves. Congrats

Mr. Dean
01-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Well done.

I give Kudos' to anyone willing to display their hunting achievements; It engages conversations with others that don't understand hunting and helps take 'us', out of the dark corners that we've recently been content with, calling, "our home".

3 thumbs up.

Rhyno
01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Thank you for sharing your trophies. Too bad that sometimes you can be critcized for voluntarilary sharing your prizes and trophies with us. Looks like a great season to me. A set of antlers on the wall is a reminder of your experiences and will never have the same level of meaning to those that weren't there to see the hunt unfold for themselves. Congrats

X 2 Well said. Congrats on the great season.

RBooth
01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Great deer! Congratulations on your first whitey and 4point!
I did my first European mount this year (just need to get my hands on a plaque then I'll post it!) and used Cream Developer 40 Volume that you can pick up from a beauty salon or beauty supply store. It's just 12% hydrogen peroxide that comes in a viscous liquid, almost pastey. It works great, just covering the entire skull in it (after boiling, pressure washing, and finish boiling with soap). I had no problem with getting any on the antler (plus if you do get any on the antler, it's a white paste that you can wash off the antler before it does any damage). Maybe this could help you in the future to avoid bleaching the antlers. I know there's many ways to skin a cat but this was what I came up with for my first time and I found it worked great!
I think you did a good recovery after bleaching the antlers.
Brian had a good suggestion with the dirt & pitch idea!
Thanks for sharing!

matt420
01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
thank you to everyone who posted a respectful post, and to others that posted other ways to recover antlers, but i dont think ill ever make the mistake and use bleach again will boil the skull plates from now on, i did realize after i did the whitetail rack that i should have done his with a lighter colour, but o well its done now and cant change it and it doesnt boher me a whole buch ayways, but i am happy with the mule set, cuz where i live i have seen a lot of mules have dark antlers like that

matt420
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
as for peppers, you can eat my poo! and peppers you know for damn sure that im not the only one on this site who smokes a little bit every now and again, but at least i have the common sense not to get all messed up while im hunting! when guns are being used its saftey first with me, i would rather come home at the end of the hunting day then get all screwed up out there and not come home ever again

stitch
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I think they look great. At first I thought ...why the stain? Then after looking at them it took me back to being a kid and seeing some of my gramps and his buddies bucks done up like this. Old school in my opinion and ya knocked it out of the park with the red velvet!! Well done and thanks for posting.

hunter1947
01-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Very well done I like the picture as well beside the rack..

BiG Boar
01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Your fix staining job looks pretty good. Hard doing it the first time though, to get the color just right.
I'm not a fan of the plaque style/horn only mounts in general. Even moose and elk and stuff. I think they remind me of the 70's and 80's. I much prefer euro mounts.

matt420
01-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Your fix staining job looks pretty good. Hard doing it the first time though, to get the color just right. I much prefer euro mounts.

thanks Big Boar, ya it wasnt very easy to get it perfect colour on my first time ever recouvering antlers, and all this euro mount talk has gotten me interested and i am going to try a euro mount on my next decent buck, and see which one i perfer more, for a euro mount, once the skull is bone white would you put it on a plaque??

markt308
01-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Right on matt thanks for posting these. i wish more guys would actually share pics and vids of the game they shoot! Thanks to the guys that do! makes this site worth checking. cheers

moose2
01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
thank you to everyone who posted a respectful post, and to others that posted other ways to recover antlers, but i dont think ill ever make the mistake and use bleach again will boil the skull plates from now on, i did realize after i did the whitetail rack that i should have done his with a lighter colour, but o well its done now and cant change it and it doesnt boher me a whole buch ayways, but i am happy with the mule set, cuz where i live i have seen a lot of mules have dark antlers like that

I have done many of these mounts and I use salt to dry out the skull plate it works well and no need to boil. This works if you are covering them does not work for an ero though.
Mike

BillyBull
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Looks like you had a good season and thanks for sharing.... I don't really mount anything, but have seen great mounts, racks, etc.. and it really comes down to your own tastes. Now that you have done this variety maybe you'll try another style and post again next year.

oldkoot
01-12-2012, 06:41 AM
This guy thinks your muley rack looks great.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx73/grizzlygare/195.jpg?t=1326375460

bigben
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Congratulation on the deer you shot as for the mounts I am sure that michealangelo had to start somewhere but in your case its your animal and your mounts and if your happy who give a flying rats behind what anyone else think s Enjoy them because if I put up my first mounts and how I had them done yours would look like art compared to mine but I still have them and enjoy them and the memories that went with them ............take care and happy hunting

Good2bCanadian
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Good job Matt.
I think they look sweet.
The pictures beside are a nice touch.

la river
01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Sodium pergramade brings back a natural looking color to faded antlers or bleached! Spelling may be wrong on the sodium thingy! Good job, have a look on the net at European mounts easy and pretty cool looking!

Slee
01-13-2012, 09:01 PM
You should also seal the antlers first so they don't soak up so much stain. It will give you a lot more control of how dark they will be.