PDA

View Full Version : Guide needed for a week of hunting elk/moose/black tail

b.rockburn
01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey Everyone, not sure if this is where I should post this so please forgive me if it isn't...

I have a party of 5 guys who would love to (in September 2012) spend a week near and around Cranbrook hunting Elk/Moose/Black tail. We're a great bunch of guys(All BC residents) who are looking for a good clean hunt.

We're willing to pay which we can discuss. All we need is someone that knows the area and where we may come upon the above mentioned animals.

We're looking for an ethical guide, all members of my party are enviro centric hunters that would just as soon shoot a poacher on site(kidding of course but you get the idea) and that want to harvest for food and the thrill of the hunt, a safer bunch of hunters would be rare to come upon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BR

TheProvider
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
no blacktails by cranbrook.... your gonna pay a liscenced guide for a week long hunt? Otherwise be careful how you say "guide"

b.rockburn
01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Should I have just said "local that knows where the elk and moose are"??

Stone Sheep Steve
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
If you want to "pay" you will need to use a licensed guide. Pick your area OR pick your guide.

SSS

MB_Boy
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Don't forget that moose is spike fork in that general area from Oct 15-31rst (assuming you're using rifle)......or you'll need a draw.

TheProvider
01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
5 guys I'm sure could scout alot of area in a day or 2 then that leaves 5 days of pure hunting. If your real lucky on here someone might point you in a general direction

TheProvider
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

There's a very thin line for illegal guiding. Not being a d#ck just advising you before someone takes your head off on here. Ppl tend to get a lil lippy in the off season :D

Husky7mm
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
It is illegal to pay someone for hunting services that is not a guide outfitter. Just go to the local timmy hoes and follow the guys with the quads, 10000 other folks cant be wrong. LOL My help to you would be if you have lots money hire a guide outfitter but dont look for an illegal one on a public forum!

b.rockburn
01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry, I didn't know it was illegal. Thanks for the info.

MB_Boy
01-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Yup......as others have said, what you're inquiring for on a public forum is illegal, UNLESS someone who responds is in fact a licensed guide.

Gateholio
01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Glad we got that all sorted out. :)

Your best bet is to pick an area and ask abotu it here, you might get some input form people that know the area. :)

coach
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Husky7mm knows the area very well. Maybe start by sending him a pm.

Husky7mm
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Can a licensed guide actually guide you wherever you wish to hunt in the province? I would be surprised!

Husky7mm
01-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Toliet paper flats! LOL Should find one of each there. LOL

01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
It is illegal to pay someone for hunting services that is not a guide outfitter. Just go to the local timmy hoes and follow the guys with the quads, 10000 other folks cant be wrong. LOL My help to you would be if you have lots money hire a guide outfitter but dont look for an illegal one on a public forum!

Can a licensed guide actually guide you wherever you wish to hunt in the province? I would be surprised!

Toliet paper flats! LOL Should find one of each there. LOL

You seem like you need to ask where to hunt too.
The guy has already been informed as to the legalities of his question, that is what we are here for.

TheProvider
01-04-2012, 01:40 PM
LIke gatehouse said.

Where are you guys thinking of going? When? Rifle hunting or bows? Do you prefer putting miles on your tires or boots?

01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
What kind of gear you have? Trucks, quads, campers or wall tent.
If you are not well equipt August Moose up north might be an idea?

Husky7mm
01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Sorry to the original poster. If you search the forum many before you have ask the same question, other than the paying part. There will be hundreds of tips, years, and years of them. TP flat BTW is a real place and many elk are harvested there. Its a start, also a funny name dont you think.

BiG Boar
01-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Where did you move here from? It doesn't appear you have read through our Hunting Regulations. I would start there. Did you ever find them island white tail?

b.rockburn
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Ok... These are all great posts guys thanks... my intention behind payment wasn't to be shady, I simply didn't think a local would like to drag 5 guys around in the bush without some sort of compensation hahahaha.... Maybe what I should have asked is if anyone would like to join us? It will as always, when you spend lots of time in the bush, be a great time.

You've all provided some awesome info and also asked some good questions so I'll answer them as best i can.

We'll be coming in pickup trucks, we'll want to find somewhere in the bush to setup a base camp and head out from there. My preference is to go on foot till I find a good spot to sit and wait, my friends will more than likely drive around and perch somewhere as well.

We've never shot moose or elk before but back in Ontario we've gotten a few deer between us. Currently we're looking at the last two weeks into September or the last week of September and the first week of October. We're using rifles only, but will have shotguns for any birds in season.

I've gotten a couple of cool PM's so thank you very much for those.

Also, as a side note, this is a public forum filled with hunters, if this isn't right place to find out information about such things and to find people who help one another who share a love for this activity, then what am I doing on here? Just saying...

Thanks everyone

BR

MB_Boy
01-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey BR....

Based on your timeline you'll likely be too early for a chance at spike fork moose.....which doesn't start til mid-October. You may want to check the LEH system to see what moose draws may be available in that area.

Here is a link to the regs in the area.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/region4.pdf

01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Elk rut is ( I am not a bigtime elk hunter so correct me if im wrong) last 2 weeks of September So you kinda fit in for that. Moose are first 2 of October.
I hunt moose and have for a while. I always put in LEH moose for the first 2 of October. And they are always responding to call.

Either way you go remember one thing,,,, Moose and Elk are BIG! you need to put some thought into that before you shoot the thing.
Dont go walking off 5km from the truck with out a pack board!

Husky7mm
01-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Also, as a side note, this is a public forum filled with hunters, if this isn't right place to find out information about such things and to find people who help one another who share a love for this activity, then what am I doing on here? Just saying...
Thanks everyone
BR
That is right......... Notice no locals responding on the public forum. 12 post and where can I get this this and this???...... a funny saying comes to mind, how about alittle kiss first...lol
I will say this it may seem like it might be a hunters/ game paradise in the EK with its attractive seasons and all but that ship has sailed for the time being. Many have ate tag soup this year for the first time in a long time. So you will get some PM's even from the "locals" and the area is very beautiful, just expect alot of people for the most part. Keep that in mind when your making your plan. Cheers

TheProvider
01-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Where abouts from ontario are you from?

Trophyslayer
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
If your first time elk hunters and don't care about headgear study the 4-3x zone It can be a zoo but just get off the road any you should find sucsess. ps all moose draws south of golden are after oct 15

budismyhorse
01-04-2012, 03:52 PM
OAlso, as a side note, this is a public forum filled with hunters, if this isn't right place to find out information about such things and to find people who help one another who share a love for this activity, then what am I doing on here? Just saying...

Thanks everyone

BR

Realize you were asking to have people partake in an illegal activity........just saying...

The key to hunting around cranbrook is simple. READ REGS......Pick valley, set up camp in likely area. Learn area. RE-READ REGS......Shoot LEGAL game.

It takes time though so enjoy your trip to the bush.

savage99f
01-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Hello BR.

We went to the cranbrook area in Oct of last year not knowing any areas.Looked for a place to camp and just started driving areas and asking the locals where to go and not where to go lol.Anyways we got alot of help and advice and the people we met were very nice and consiterate towards us even emails and phone numbers were exchanged. We shared camp fires and beers with them and some are even coming to the island for a spring bear hunt in my neck of the woods and Im going to return the favor with where to go and not where to go.Anyways It did take us 3 days to learn the area we were in and found it pretty easy .When we go back this year we will hunt the areas we learned and find some new ones as well.Make sure you have some maps and the regs and your in business. Good luck :)

deer nut
01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Do some pre-season research on Google Earth, backroads map book etc., talk to the local Fish & Wildlife guys, COs etc. and then just go on your own and explore!! Who needs a guide?

01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Do some pre-season research on Google Earth, backroads map book etc., talk to the local Fish & Wildlife guys, COs etc. and then just go on your own and explore!! Who needs a guide?

My wife hates it how my life is single purpose. When it isnt hunting in the forest its google Earth. In Commercial breaks watching tv its "Back Road Atlas"
I have last years LEH on my Computer so i can print out leh maps and look straight to the odds page so i dont need to keep flipping back and forth.
Then there is here, watching,waiting,listenng,,,,,,, And with my friends it is how can we improve on last year or where to go this year!

Weatherby Fan
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Sorry, I didn't know it was illegal. Thanks for the info.

It's not illegal if your paying me cash,when do you want to go :mrgreen:

01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
It's not illegal if your paying me cash,when do you want to go :mrgreen:

hahahahaha good one!

Weatherby Fan
01-04-2012, 05:23 PM
hahahahaha good one!

Oh yeh,lots of cash and your going to need a MAGNUM also,I don't guide hunters with non magnum cartridges :mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I wonder who guides for blacktails in the EK, and if they've ever actually had a client shoot one?

deer nut
01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
My wife hates it how my life is single purpose. When it isnt hunting in the forest its google Earth. In Commercial breaks watching tv its "Back Road Atlas"
I have last years LEH on my Computer so i can print out leh maps and look straight to the odds page so i dont need to keep flipping back and forth.
Then there is here, watching,waiting,listenng,,,,,,, And with my friends it is how can we improve on last year or where to go this year!

She should commend you on your diligence and focus! (Yeah right eh?)

coach
01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I wonder who guides for blacktails in the EK, and if they've ever actually had a client shoot one?

I'm thinking they're mulw deer, FD.

Fisher-Dude
01-04-2012, 06:36 PM
According to some on here, you've got a better chance of shooting a blacktail in R4 than you do of shooting a mulw deer.

coach
01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I was thinking a lot of energy got wasted discussing mulw deer under the assumption the conversation was about mule deer. It's all becoming more clear now.

Jelvis
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
I thought mule deer were classed as a blacktail too by some in authority? Any one notice this in the classification.
Jelly .. Blacktail and muley sometimes intertwined in the reggies. Or am I (out to lunch?)

oldkoot
01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
It is our obligation as hunters to know the Laws and play within them. How many of the " Poachers " that you and your boys would shoot on SIGHT, are simply people charged and labelled as poachers that were just people unaware of the laws ? I would have to wonder what other laws you are unaware of and be afraid...very afraid.

All the valleys in the E.K. are the same......they all hold game. Pick one , go there and start hunting.

Good Luck

hunter1947
01-06-2012, 03:09 AM
If I was in your shoes I would do lots of research in areas in the EK and find out where there is good to fair hunting on the animals you suggested and when you find this out then head on up to theses areas and hunt them you may be surprised what you will get back on the homework you have did.

What I do is go into unfamiliar area and scout and look over the area if no good I head on to another area I just keep jumping around till I find an area with animals that I am after.

burger
01-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Realize you were asking to have people partake in an illegal activity........just saying...

The key to hunting around cranbrook is simple. READ REGS......Pick valley, set up camp in likely area. Learn area. RE-READ REGS......Shoot LEGAL game.

It takes time though so enjoy your trip to the bush.

You should all reread what his first post is. Asked for an ethical guide that he will pay. Didnt ask for a resident to break the law. Read these thing for what were written not what you think was written....just saying

01-06-2012, 09:26 AM
I think now he knows what he asked for is illegal. Im sure every body could take turns roasting this guy for it and we might get 6-7 pages of crap.
How about we talk about how to find game on your own and where to look for it?

burger
01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I think now he knows what he asked for is illegal. Im sure every body could take turns roasting this guy for it and we might get 6-7 pages of crap.
How about we talk about how to find game on your own and where to look for it?

I agree just tired of everybody jumping on each others backs.

budismyhorse
01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
I agree just tired of everybody jumping on each others backs.

If you think he was looking for a lic'd guide and not a Joe Shlub to take him out hunting that he was willing to compensate.......then there's a George Straight song you should listen to ;).

He was ignorant of the law........now he knows because people called him on it. End of story.

no one was jumping on any backs..........jeez.......what a bunch of babies.

markt308
01-06-2012, 10:24 AM
depending what your budget is, maybe you wanna jump on google and check out some outfitters in the area. There are plenty. but not cheap.

Devilbear
01-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I also got the impression that he was merely asking for assistance and was not attempting to do or even try anything illegal. I think that it is important to refrain from personal attacks on those we do not know when they ask for help on HBC as I thought that helping is a major part of what this forum is all about.

I would contact Grizzly Basin Outfitters in the East Kootenays if I needed/wanted a guided hunt there and they might offer legal pack-in hunts, as well. There may be others among the current GOs there who would also offer this service to BC resident hunters and some phone calls and e-mails to various GOS should elicit information on hunts.

f350ps
01-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Regardless of his original intentions he also made it clear that he did not want to do anything illegal. If I recall he's a first year hunter which we all say that we need more of so I think slammin these guys for anything ya can is not a good way to promote new hunters to the game. It never ceases to amaze me how many ignorant comments come from older experienced guys that should have a little more class than that. I think most of you guys have a bad case of CRS and don't remember what it was like when you first started, you gotta remember that there's a lot of guys getting in to the game that didn't have their fathers showing them the ropes and have to use sites like this to glean there knowledge. K

elkdom
01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Regardless of his original intentions he also made it clear that he did not want to do anything illegal. If I recall he's a first year hunter which we all say that we need more of so I think slammin these guys for anything ya can is not a good way to promote new hunters to the game. It never ceases to amaze me how many ignorant comments come from older experienced guys that should have a little more class than that. I think most of you guys have a bad case of CRS and don't remember what it was like when you first started, you gotta remember that there's a lot of guys getting in to the game that didn't have their fathers showing them the ropes and have to use sites like this to glean there knowledge. K how the HELL did anyone ever hunt or fish, legally and successfully ??? before there was "Google" or "HBC",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Husky7mm
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Lets all just hold hands and sing kumbaya :lol:

1/2 slam
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM

No............

lowband6
01-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Regardless of his original intentions he also made it clear that he did not want to do anything illegal. If I recall he's a first year hunter which we all say that we need more of so I think slammin these guys for anything ya can is not a good way to promote new hunters to the game. It never ceases to amaze me how many ignorant comments come from older experienced guys that should have a little more class than that. I think most of you guys have a bad case of CRS and don't remember what it was like when you first started, you gotta remember that there's a lot of guys getting in to the game that didn't have their fathers showing them the ropes and have to use sites like this to glean there knowledge. K

Well put!!!

deer nut
01-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I have heard that many GOs do not like to guide residents, because they find these hunters self-guiding in their honey holes in subsequent years.

silvicon
01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
This whole story stinks!
One person asking for a guide. Illegal guiding is a problem in BC and am sure that some are temted to cross the line for a few hundred bucks.