PDA

View Full Version : A Little Advice For A Sheep Hunt.....

hunter1947
01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I just want to let all you younger members Know that don't put off sheep hunting if your fit :wink:.
I never really wanted to go on a sheep hunt over my hunting years I had been asked from some real good sheep hunter if I wanted go with them on a sheep hunt I always said thanks but no thanks elk and deer are my favorites to hunt :).

I my younger years I could go forever until I found a sheep no probes but now that I am getting to the age of 65 its is just a memory :icon_frow.

I am still in good shape for my age but my back has give me problems over the last 20 years from packing out elk and deer I cant pull my weight because of my back and I won't go on a sheep hunt unless I can do my share of the work just the way I feel.

In the past 2 or 3 years I thought about wanting to go on a sheep hunt but I run out of time so to make a long story short for you members that are in good shape and think about a sheep hunt do it don't put it off time is short in life and before you know it you will be in the same boat as me ,just a little reminder to who this may concern :) H-47....

bowhunterbruce
01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
in all my years of being here on hbc wayne,i have never seen you say a negitive word until this.
there are many ways of hunting sheep,you dont have to throw a 60 lb pack on your back and walk for days to get a sheep.
ever thought about using a horse.
they will get you fairly close and carry everything your gonna need.
as my ol man always said "there is always more then 1 way to do something,if you want it bad enough you will find that way,and always use the experience of others as it can save you both time and money"
bhb

one-shot-wonder
01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Doesn't neccessarily have to be Mt sheep. Mt Goat, Grizz, Caribou, Alpine MD all can be included in this boat. Lots of these hunts are an excursion but are some of the most rewarding.

The bottom line is take advantage of your health and time while you have it.

hunter1947
01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
in all my years of being here on hbc wayne,i have never seen you say a negitive word until this.
there are many ways of hunting sheep,you don't have to throw a 60 lb pack on your back and walk for days to get a sheep.
ever thought about using a horse.
they will get you fairly close and carry everything your gonna need.
as my ol man always said "there is always more then 1 way to do something,if you want it bad enough you will find that way,and always use the experience of others as it can save you both time and money"
bhb

Bruce some mornings I can't even put my foot wear on because my back is frozen up stiff it feels like if I was to bend over this little bit more I would break my back I had scans done at the hospital 15 years ago they said I have a couple disks that are touching each other reason being is my back bones have collapsed from packing out to many elk over my years :icon_frow..

bowhunterbruce
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
maybe this could be a new answer
https://www.instaflex.com/trial/?iteration=1&subid=43169238

srupp
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Amen to that....good advice...got me 1/2 way to a slam...but...same thing age and injuries seem to have closed the door on Dalls and Bighorns...

heres to Aleve and robaxicet.c 1 1/2

steven

IronNoggin
01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Hunter1947: My father suffered from the exact same thing. In his case it went to the point that seven disks were involved. In his mid-70's, he elected to undergo surgery. It took a spell for him to recover following that (~ 6 months), but he is a truely changed Man. So much so that the following year he went to Africa to hunt again, something he had woefully written off. He has since engaged in rather strenuous mule and whitetail hunts, travels to Saskatchewan every year to shoot geese, and heads out on the chuck with me to slay salmon and halibut each summer. While sheep huntin' may no longer be in the cards for him, he is a much changed Man, and that very much is reflected in his ability to keep pursuing the way of life he has always known. Might well be you are a candidate for such work. If so, you'll probably be downright amazed at the difference it can make!

That said, I VERY much hear what you are saying! In my own younger days I pursued sheep, elk, and mulies in the high country with abandon. Many many fond memories alright. But I well understand those days are getting damn close to being over for me. I've driven this old wreck of a body WELL beyond it's limits, FAR too many times. And it shows. And some days it hurts too much to talk about. I very much hope I have one or two of those forays left in me, but they will be the slowest and most careful hunts imaginable at this stage. If I can...

Your message is Bang On! Do it WHILE YOU CAN! You only live once. Looking back saying "I wish I had..." is no position to be in.

Cheers,
Nog

Islandbowhunter
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Inspiring, and a little saddening. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm going to be hunting hard until I break!

elkdom
01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I just want to let all you younger members Know that don't put off sheep hunting if your fit :wink:.
I never really wanted to go on a sheep hunt over my hunting years I had been asked from some real good sheep hunter if I wanted go with them on a sheep hunt I always said thanks but no thanks elk and deer are my favorites to hunt :).

I my younger years I could go forever until I found a sheep no probes but now that I am getting to the age of 65 its is just a memory :icon_frow.

I am still in good shape for my age but my back has give me problems over the last 20 years from packing out elk and deer I cant pull my weight because of my back and I won't go on a sheep hunt unless I can do my share of the work just the way I feel.

In the past 2 or 3 years I thought about wanting to go on a sheep hunt but I run out of time so to make a long story short for you members that are in good shape and think about a sheep hunt do it don't put it off time is short in life and before you know it you will be in the same boat as me ,just a little reminder to who this may concern :) H-47....

you stated in a thread last YEAR you were considering the risks of " parachuting onto a mountain top" for a Sheep Hunt,,,,,,,,,,

having second thoughts ? or did you forget about that idea ??

DEATH from ABOVE !,,,,,,,,,,

can hardly wait to see the pictures :neutral:

hunter1947
01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=elkdom;1055353]you stated in a thread last YEAR you were considering the risks of " parachuting onto a mountain top" for a Sheep Hunt,,,,,,,,,,

having second thoughts ? or did you forget about that idea ??

DEATH from ABOVE !,,,,,,,,,,

can hardly wait to see the pictures :neutral:[/QUOT
Doug I chickened out I don't like planes never have.

hunter1947
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Hunter1947: My father suffered from the exact same thing. In his case it went to the point that seven disks were involved. In his mid-70's, he elected to undergo surgery. It took a spell for him to recover following that (~ 6 months), but he is a truely changed Man. So much so that the following year he went to Africa to hunt again, something he had woefully written off. He has since engaged in rather strenuous mule and whitetail hunts, travels to Saskatchewan every year to shoot geese, and heads out on the chuck with me to slay salmon and halibut each summer. While sheep huntin' may no longer be in the cards for him, he is a much changed Man, and that very much is reflected in his ability to keep pursuing the way of life he has always known. Might well be you are a candidate for such work. If so, you'll probably be downright amazed at the difference it can make!

That said, I VERY much hear what you are saying! In my own younger days I pursued sheep, elk, and mulies in the high country with abandon. Many many fond memories alright. But I well understand those days are getting damn close to being over for me. I've driven this old wreck of a body WELL beyond it's limits, FAR too many times. And it shows. And some days it hurts too much to talk about. I very much hope I have one or two of those forays left in me, but they will be the slowest and most careful hunts imaginable at this stage. If I can...

Your message is Bang On! Do it WHILE YOU CAN! You only live once. Looking back saying "I wish I had..." is no position to be in.

Cheers,
Nog

Very well said Nice post :)..

Devilbear
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
There is no question that it is easier when younger and age and injuries take their toll, but, determination CAN make things happen if one really wants to hunt in the alpine. I am older than Wayne and Iron Noggin and I still hunt high country, solo, every year. I have missed two seasons due to my wife's health issues, but, am already starting my fitness programme for this year and I will be 66 at the end of next June.

I have sustained several severe orthopaedic injuries and I get very sore in places much of the time, but, I find that it hurts less when I have climbed a ridge back home in the Kootenays than when I am sitting here in Vancouver's grey rain and drizzle and feeling like I am trapped in the city forever.

It is also. I think, really important to just do what YOU enjoy and remember that hunting-fishing-hiking-nature study are FUN, you are not out there to compete with anyone and, if younger guys can do more, faster, well, yippitysh*t, so what, just do what you can, enjoy what you do and if you get a ram, bull or buck, that is a bonus from the big guy in the sky.

I also would seek the best medical advice available and tell the doctor what you want to do and see what he suggests for fitness routines and so forth.

rocksteady
01-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Cmon Wayne, being the old bush man you should know that there are ways to overcome anything....

Like stated above, no need for a 70 lb pack and go for 30 miles..Pace yourself....If you can cover 10 miles or even 5 in a day plan for the longer time commitment and more restovers...As stated also, horses ease the burden...Even if you are not riding, it can pack all your kit and you can just walk the horse (mule) in.....

Even better, line up a hunt with a big huge human lung (Blacktailstalker) and the like and go as a group...

Never say never old timer....Not like you to say "I can't"....I am dissapointed that you would even think that you could not...Strong mind overcomes weak body every time...

hunter1947
01-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Cmon Wayne, being the old bush man you should know that there are ways to overcome anything....

Like stated above, no need for a 70 lb pack and go for 30 miles..Pace yourself....If you can cover 10 miles or even 5 in a day plan for the longer time commitment and more restovers...As stated also, horses ease the burden...Even if you are not riding, it can pack all your kit and you can just walk the horse (mule) in.....

Even better, line up a hunt with a big huge human lung (Blacktailstalker) and the like and go as a group...

Never say never old timer....Not like you to say "I can't"....I am dissapointed that you would even think that you could not...Strong mind overcomes weak body every time...

Mike old friend maybe me and you should go on a sheep hunt I know someone that has a few horses..

rocksteady
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Have not been bit by the sheep hunting bug and don't know if I want to be....

Lots of shep hunters on here seem to be hopelessly addicted...:) Maybe thats part of the attraction to sheeps...

kennyj
01-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Thats great advice Wayne. I'll probably get after sheep again this year.
kenny

Rubberfist
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
There is something to be said about doing it while you are young...and there is also something to be said about spitting in age and death's eye and going out on your shield.

My dad, who is going on 75 suffered a near fatal heart attack last year, had a pacemaker installed, had a bout of pneumonia, and we still went Dall hunting in the NWT in September and he pulled it off (the story and pics are here in the forum). We are planning this year's hunts and none of them will be "easy". He and I have had conversations on the subject, where I've specified his limitations, and his response is simple: if I don't make it back, I died doing something I love, rather than lying there thinking about it.

I feel the urgency (I'm going on 41) and that's why I train for mountain hunting and try to take care of myself. But that is only part of it, because being a true mountain hunter is a physical, mental and spiritual endeavour. My dad could have given up last year and become fish bait, never to hunt hard again. Instead, he just says "F*ck this mountain!" and keeps on marching. Thinking about that gets me off my ass.

Moose63
01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Mike old friend maybe me and you should go on a sheep hunt I know someone that has a few horses..

Wayne, I look forward to your sheep hunting thread.....

pescado
01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Time to start some Tia Chi, Yoga and swimming on your off time H47. Try it and you might be surprised what it does, I was.

SHAKER
01-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Time to start some Tia Chi, Yoga and swimming on your off time H47. Try it and you might be surprised what it does, I was.

LOL..... ya it might cause him to start munch'n granola and stack'n rocks on the sides of the road.
Seriously though well said, and with enough determination theirs always a way. A good motivational buddy is a good thing when the mental defeat looks like it's come'n fast.

Islandbowhunter
01-04-2012, 11:06 AM

It's true, "Tia" can make any man feel better, LOL :)

My buddies and I used to joke about "Old Man Muscle." You know, the old-timer's not as strong as the young buck, but he'll still kick your ass on the strength of his resolve alone.

I say f*ck it, like was said before head out there and if need be return on your shield. I like it!!!