PDA

View Full Version : need new kicker

GoldNGun Retrievers
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
need a new kicker motor or bottom end for my 9.9 Mariner. took out a submerged stump coming home in the dark after picking up decoys.:-?

SimilkameenSlayer
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
nissan/mercury 4 stroke which are made by tohatsu have worked faultlessly for me.

91Jason91
01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Go with yamaha its the best

lip_ripper00
01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
need a new kicker motor or bottom end for my 9.9 Mariner. took out a submerged stump coming home in the dark after picking up decoys.:-?

I May have a botton end,need approx year and is it a short shaft?

mikethemilkman
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
one word yamaha

recoil
01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Beware the newer merc four strokes do not like ethanol! Do a search on the boating websites if you dont believe me, i had one and am glad to be rid of it, although i was a single cylinder 6 hp mid 2000's model. I am not saying not to buy one but if you do only use premium fuel that is ethanol free.

Yamaha's are vitrually indestructable, i have an '89 with thousands of hours on it tubing and hauling around the fraser and it refuses to die!

Barracuda
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
depending what year a mercury engine it is it may be made by yamaha tohatso or mercury. as for the ethanol , no marine engine likes it not honda not yamaha not mercury.
ethanal and marine use is not a good use .

longstonec
01-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda or Yamaha or Nissan

Jagermeister
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
why didn't the outboard flip up when you hit the log?

labrador
01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
i have the old Honda 10.0, I will have a chance to try it this spring/summer on my new aluminum boat.

GoldNGun Retrievers
01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
It's a 95/96 short shaft. Had it at a marine place that went belly up, managed to get the engine back in two pieces. The mechanic said the most economical fix was a new bottom end

Big Bucks
01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Ive got a 9.9 Suzuki 4 stroke and it works like a charm , runs cold for the first minute or two and then smooth sailing . Anyone else use a Suzuki ?

Angus
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
as for the ethanol , no marine engine likes it not honda not yamaha not mercury.
ethanal and marine use is not a good use .

X 2 on that. Honda shop recommended I use the Chevron 94

BCBRAD
01-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I have had 2 Johnsons, 1 Evinrude, 1 Mariner, 1 Yamaha, 1 Honda and 2 Mercury kickers, the last 4 where 4 strokes. The Yamaha would not run on both cylinders, fouled plugs put gas into the engine oil, spent a week at the dealer for every week-ends use, the Honda was great until it went kaput in year 5, the first mercury did not have power tilt so traded it for one with power tilt, no issues with these over 5 years and they burn about half the fuel of the other 4 strokes. The old OMC 2 strokers could not be killed. Yamaha dealer was OK but Yamaha Motor Canada would not fix so got rid of it even with a years warranty left. Mariner was good but some low life stole it in year 3.
I suggest buying a 'brand' that has a good dealer close by that suits your budget. Still pissed at Yamaha so didn't buy their Quad either.

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I have had 2 Johnsons, 1 Evinrude, 1 Mariner, 1 Yamaha, 1 Honda and 2 Mercury kickers, the last 4 where 4 strokes. The Yamaha would not run on both cylinders, fouled plugs put gas into the engine oil, spent a week at the dealer for every week-ends use, the Honda was great until it went kaput in year 5, the first mercury did not have power tilt so traded it for one with power tilt, no issues with these over 5 years and they burn about half the fuel of the other 4 strokes. The old OMC 2 strokers could not be killed. Yamaha dealer was OK but Yamaha Motor Canada would not fix so got rid of it even with a years warranty left. Mariner was good but some low life stole it in year 3.
I suggest buying a 'brand' that has a good dealer close by that suits your budget. Still pissed at Yamaha so didn't buy their Quad either.You might be down on Yamaha, but I am certainly high on the one I have. 2000 9.9 4-stroke. Has many hours on it. Original spark plugs still in and clean as a whistle. It kicks my Campion 552 Explorer along, it is the high thrust long shaft model, not that it matters much. I will have to change the water impeller before putting it in the water and I think the fuel pump may be getting tired. Hardly any wonder. The majority of time under power has been with this engine, like about 80%.