PDA

View Full Version : raven question

finngun
01-02-2012, 01:03 PM
some regions raven has no open season --some region you are able to shoot from private land with permission...
region 3 where i am --no shooting raven at all...
but hypotetical question===if i drop raven,by mistake of coarse.:-D...and i get got...is penalty same as shooting any other --no shooting bird..like bold eagle? or duck out of season?
in my books raven is pest...like crow or magpie or raccoon....:mrgreen:

BiG Boar
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
I would say there is a higher chance of getting charged if you were caught with a dead bald eagle than a dirty raven.

What I have always wondered is about bag limits. Why is there a 5 daily bag limit? Are people actually limiting out on these? If so, are they in your bag?

Ozone
01-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Hopefully its as bad. Like the same rule for everyone, I think all wildlife infractions should carry the same weight no matter the speices

CanuckShooter
01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
some regions raven has no open season --some region you are able to shoot from private land with permission...
region 3 where i am --no shooting raven at all...
but hypotetical question===if i drop raven,by mistake of coarse.:-D...and i get got...is penalty same as shooting any other --no shooting bird..like bold eagle? or duck out of season?
in my books raven is pest...like crow or magpie or raccoon....:mrgreen:

Simple answer is yes, it would considered poaching.

mark
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
but hypotetical question===if i drop raven,by mistake of coarse.:

Mistaking it for what?????? :confused:

Drillbit
01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Probably the best hunting of the year for me is shooting Ravens/crows in the calving pens in the spring. Lots of ACTION!

Luckily for me there's a season open, but there's also the Livestock Act.

And BigBoar, limiting out happens a lot, and I pick them up to keep the farmyard clean and haul them to the dump at the end of the day.

finngun
01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=mark;1054580]Mistaking it for what?????? :confused: well lets say shooting crows ---yes i know ravens are bigger...and mistakes can happend

Ozone
01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=mark;1054580]Mistaking it for what?????? :confused: well lets say shooting crows ---yes i know ravens are bigger...and mistakes can happend

Perhaps if you cant ID the species your shooting, you shouldnt be shooting at all. They do look quite different.

LeverActionJunkie
01-02-2012, 11:27 PM
I would say the chances of you getting in chit are considerably higher after posting the questions that you did here, especially with all your smily faces.

mark
01-02-2012, 11:48 PM
I would say the chances of you getting in chit are considerably higher after posting the questions that you did here, especially with all your smily faces.

CO : "so you see your honor, he posted these little smiley faces on the internet....so he must be guilty" LOL

finngun
01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
CO : "so you see your honor, he posted these little smiley faces on the internet....so he must be guilty" LOL

7 So (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=1161) when (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=5613) they continued (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=1961&ent2=5707) asking (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=2065&ent2=5723) him, (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=846) he lifted up himself, (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=352&ent2=5660) and said (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=2036&ent2=5627) unto (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=4314) them, (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=846) He that is without sin (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=361) among you, (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=5216) let him (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=906) first (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=4413) cast (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=906&ent2=5628) a stone (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=3037) at (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=1909) her. (http://raamattu.uskonkirjat.net/servlet/biblesite.Bible?lex=Thayer&ref=Joh.+8%3A1&ent=846)

Drillbit
01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
^What Dat Mean?

MOOSE MILK
01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
How bold dose a bold eagle have to be to shoot it?

Elk Lake Trapper
01-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Shooting Ravens is bad karma...

finngun
01-06-2012, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Elk Lake Trapper;1057115]Shooting Ravens is bad karma... i heard that too......and ones me and 4 others hunted whole week deer and moose ....after one member of the group shot raven

and we all get skunked...hmmm???? we didn't even got a grouse...

SimilkameenSlayer
01-07-2012, 10:33 AM
i like ravens, crows not so much.

just sayin ... ;)

CanuckShooter
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Right about here is where Gatehouse pops in and tells the story of the hot blonde he had a spiritual encounter with..........;-)

sarg
01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
i like ravens, crows not so much.

just sayin ... ;)
me to, i wanting to shoot one in the wost way when i first started hunting ,but then realized that i really like hearing them talk in the bush, i think it's one of my favorite thing to hear when im out in the bush now, it make me feel like i'm finally out of the city
sarg

Peter Pepper
01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
me to, i wanting to shoot one in the wost way when i first started hunting ,but then realized that i really like hearing them talk in the bush, i think it's one of my favorite thing to hear when im out in the bush now, it make me feel like i'm finally out of the city
sarg

Ya, one of the best sounds

Big Lew
01-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Personally, if I'm out in the wilds, especially near FNs communities, I would respect their spiritual reverence, and not shoot one.

SimilkameenSlayer
01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
sarg

exactly !
ravens are cool, i just like watching and listening to them, they can be very entertaining with there strange behavior.

Gateholio
01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Ravens are entertaining and interesting to watch and listen to. I don't have any problem with shooting them where legal, though. I shoot lots of animals that I also find entertaining to watch.

I also agree that crows are just pests.I shoot them any chance I get.

finngun
01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
years back vanc island farmer was complaining.... ravens are killing his calfs..first nobody was beliving him...but after when another peoples was witnessing pair of ravens hunting and killing
1 year old calf they have to belive..hunting metod was..one raven was flying almoust top of calfs head.and when calfs tension was looking that 'flybye' another bird hit calfs eye with its big beak
and calf went down..like hitting with hammer on the head.
eye and brain are connected so thats all need take calf down.. my question is ...was that only pair raven to know that trick...or does all ravens do same thing... like for bambies at spring time ??

SimilkameenSlayer
01-07-2012, 09:09 PM
years back vanc island farmer was complaining.... ravens are killing his calfs..first nobody was beliving him...but after when another peoples was witnessing pair of ravens hunting and killing
1 year old calf they have to belive..hunting metod was..one raven was flying almoust top of calfs head.and when calfs tension was looking that 'flybye' another bird hit calfs eye with its big beak
and calf went down..like hitting with hammer on the head.
eye and brain are connected so thats all need take calf down.. my question is ...was that only pair raven to know that trick...or does all ravens do same thing... like for bambies at spring time ??

not when hunters are watching.

and the real question, is the raven more intelligent than the average hunter?

;)

finngun
01-07-2012, 09:34 PM
s.slayer---and the real question, is the raven more intelligent than the average hunter?
that is not biggy..:-D:mrgreen: everybody knows answer to that..
but much better flyer they are
i seen them flying upside down...spring time....mating flying with lady..:wink:

i like tame one bird and teach bird to be my 'spotter' fall deer hunting...
illegal??:confused:

Ozone
01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
At work, I have known the same pair of Ravens for over 6 years. I would say they are way smarter than most.

Moose Guide
01-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I shoot ravens when I get the chance
when I knock off feathers I do a little dance
with a compact luppy on a sako AII
I can give em idigestion like I like to do
I can blow them outta trees or off the ground
leave their feathers in the air and guts spread all around
and if others don't like it I could really care less
cause a squawky old raven is a barn yard pest
I can shoot em off a carcass or bait em with some eggs
and it's all real legal just read it in the regs.

Livewire322
01-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Personally, if I'm out in the wilds, especially near FNs communities, I would respect their spiritual reverence, and not shoot one.

all the more reason to shoot every overgrown crow you come across

Drillbit
01-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Haha Moose Guide that's a Beauty of a poem!

As far as Ravens being smarter than the ave hunter....Yep, most guys I bring out to the farm don't even get to shoot at them, nevermind kill one.
Crows are smarter than ravens under hunting pressure, and Magpies are the smartest of all. Tough to even get a "snipeshow" long bomb rifle shot on a magpie. Have to be real sneaky with the 12ga, or shoot them right off the cows backs with a 22lr.

And Karma, well, no LEH for moose/elk/buffalo ever (14 years)....so maybe?

The Dude
01-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Never shot one, or at one. I love to be out in the sage, or the pines, or the fir, and listen to their bubbling croaks. Some sound like monkeys, some like other birds, like rusty car doors. Some sound almost human. I also like the shwish-shwoosh-swoosh of their wings as they fly over. It means there are no other sounds.
Having said that, they're not welcome on the beef ranch I sometimes look after :-) They do attack calves, and I know for a fact they attack dogs.

Big Lew
01-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Very mature attitude

CanuckShooter
01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Very mature attitude

X2 sometimes he shows amazing maturity...and other times...well you know what I mean. Sad really that he was taught to think like that. :-(

SimilkameenSlayer
01-08-2012, 11:23 AM

fool :mad:

Moose Guide
01-08-2012, 07:26 PM

As far as Ravens being smarter than the ave hunter....Yep, most guys I bring out to the farm don't even get to shoot at them, nevermind kill one.
Crows are smarter than ravens under hunting pressure, and Magpies are the smartest of all. Tough to even get a "snipeshow" long bomb rifle shot on a magpie. Have to be real sneaky with the 12ga, or shoot them right off the cows backs with a 22lr.

The trick with magpies is to get the first one, then wait in hiding for when his buddies come to have a funeral service:-D

karma...4 moose leh in 5 years, a grizz draw and more goat draws than I can remember, 2010 is the only year in about 10 years I didn't put a moose or elk in the freezer! I definately don't believe in karma!!

The Dawg
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Did your parents have any kids that lived?

500grhollowpoint
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Did your parents have any kids that lived?

I agree with the intent of your post, but sense, your post it makes none.

The Dawg
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree with the intent of your post, but sense, your post it makes none.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTLoeYb9hGZEuQH5KwIrYrgL7NZM508 j3GpGp5OD0aCI7-Bbv9

Livewire322
01-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Nope i go crow shooting annually for the past 2 yeas and I (knock on wood) get an LEH almost every year for the last 7 years!

Livewire322
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Very mature attitude
I see a crow, magpie, or raven and can legally shoot it I will! nothing to do with maturity! Just because some old bugger sitting around a fire 100s of years ago said that its bad juju to shoot one because they are "reincarnations" of their dead relatives doesn't mean i have to respect it or believe it!

X2 sometimes he shows amazing maturity...and other times...well you know what I mean. Sad really that he was taught to think like that. :-(

Taught? I was not "taught" to think like that i've been alive long enough to have my own views on what is right and what is wrong, I believe inequality is WRONG! and we (white people) aren't equal to the native population!

The Dawg
01-09-2012, 07:11 PM
[/B]
and we (white people) aren't equal to the native population!

http://web.me.com/macmanager/gif/popcorn.gif

CanuckShooter
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I see a crow, magpie, or raven and can legally shoot it I will! nothing to do with maturity! Just because some old bugger sitting around a fire 100s of years ago said that its bad juju to shoot one because they are "reincarnations" of their dead relatives doesn't mean i have to respect it or believe it!

[/B]
Taught? I was not "taught" to think like that i've been alive long enough to have my own views on what is right and what is wrong, I believe inequality is WRONG! and we (white people) aren't equal to the native population!

Ok, if you say so. Don't know where a self taught fellow would see 'inequality' in shooting ravens? Care to explain that leap of logic

Livewire322
01-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Ok, if you say so. Don't know where a self taught fellow would see 'inequality' in shooting ravens? Care to explain that leap of logic

[/B]

You guys are attacking my maturity level because of my earlier post saying "all the more reason to shoot he oversized crows" which was my response to someone else's earlier response saying not to shoot them near a res out of respect... I would shoot them where ever whenever legal because I don't have any respect reserved for their beliefs...
This stems from from my belief that we arent treated with the same level of respect/ they get special treatment, all across the board.

Big Lew
01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Were you to have read my post properly, you would have noticed that I did not say whether to shoot ravens near FN communities because of their beliefs or not. I simply said that I, personally, would not shoot them near their communities out of respect for their beliefs and reverence, which pre-dates when we Europeans came onto the scene. Similarity, I would not disrespect anyone else's religion or beliefs. It has nothing to do with personal feelings of equality. If I had livestock being attacked by ravens, and it was safe and legal, I also would shoot them.

CanuckShooter
01-09-2012, 09:26 PM
You guys are attacking my maturity level because of my earlier post saying "all
This stems from from my belief that we arent treated with the same level of respect/ they get special treatment, all across the board.

Who doesn't treat you with the same level of respect? Your saying we are not treated with the same level of respect??
You've learned to be jealous of what is called 'special treatment', when really it doesn't amount to a hill of beans if your a man. There are many things that are not fair, there is no equality, when you learn to live with this the 'special treatment' won't bother you.

Livewire322
01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Who doesn't treat you with the same level of respect? Your saying we are not treated with the same level of respect??
You've learned to be jealous of what is called 'special treatment', when really it doesn't amount to a hill of beans if your a man. There are many things that are not fair, there is no equality, when you learn to live with this the 'special treatment' won't bother you.

Normally I don't think about it but (not saying this thread) when I hear people whining and sniveling about their living conditions or how they are oppressed by the white man...
We allow FNs to freeload we pay for their schooling pay them FOR going to school, give them living out allowances, we let them fish in "traditional" areas and they turn around and sell the fish off radar, we allow them to hunt in their "traditional" territories with non traditional methods. What thanks do we get? An empty hand out stretched crying poverty and asking for more! D:
It's the attitude that you have which causes the problems we have in this country!
All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing...

The Dawg
01-09-2012, 11:04 PM
You should know what its like to be discriminated against, oppressed, and bullied right?

Arent you a ginger?

:twisted:

scoutlt1
01-09-2012, 11:07 PM
You guys are attacking my maturity level because of my earlier post saying "all the more reason to shoot he oversized crows" which was my response to someone else's earlier response saying not to shoot them near a res out of respect... I would shoot them where ever whenever legal because I don't have any respect reserved for their beliefs...

Are you related to Jeff?

Tikka270
01-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Who's whining and sniveling here?

CanuckShooter
01-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Who paid for your schooling? It was free till you graduated grade 12? Or did you go to a private school?

Do you think I enjoyed paying for your education? How did it feel to accept the handout? How do you justify how you freeloaded on us for your education? What thanks will we get?

3kills
01-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Who paid for your schooling? It was free till you graduated grade 12? Or did you go to a private school?

Do you think I enjoyed paying for your education? How did it feel to accept the handout? How do you justify how you freeloaded on us for your education? What thanks will we get?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/wat.jpg

The Dawg
01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
http://edwardcheever.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/epic_win.jpg

scoutlt1
01-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Strange.
A guy asks a question about shooting ravens and it turns into a...sorry...was going to say "conversation"....a bunch of posts about FNs??

good night.

sarg
01-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Normally I don't think about it but (not saying this thread) when I hear people whining and sniveling about their living conditions or how they are oppressed by the white man...
We allow FNs to freeload we pay for their schooling pay them FOR going to school, give them living out allowances, we let them fish in "traditional" areas and they turn around and sell the fish off radar, we allow them to hunt in their "traditional" territories with non traditional methods. What thanks do we get? An empty hand out stretched crying poverty and asking for more! D:
It's the attitude that you have which causes the problems we have in this country!
All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing...
its funny how shit changes so fast one moment this thread was about raven and the next moment its bashing FN, it not that i disagree will your oppinion on them but lets get back on topic about raven and how they kick ass. start a new thread if needed,

3kills
01-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Dawg like this????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/charlie-sheen-winning.jpg

Spy
01-09-2012, 11:21 PM

As far as I know Livewire is still in school!
Livewire what you are feeling is normal its called resentment it will pass, don't get all twisted up about it, its normal!Shoot the birds where you want just make sure you eat them LOL!

The Dude
01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I just read the last page of posts, and the thread title, and never the twain shall meet.
I'm gonna do one of these, and see if that helps......

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/smiley-shock-1.gif

....nope...didn't help, so:

IBTL! :D

Livewire322
01-10-2012, 12:13 AM
You should know what its like to be discriminated against, oppressed, and bullied right?

Arent you a ginger?

:twisted:
Yes and as I'm sure you've gathered I have a temperament to match...

Who's whining and sniveling here?
I reiterate! "all it take's for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Id like to think that because my generation will soon be supporting your aging generation we wouldn't need to thank each other! :mrgreen:

Livewire322
01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
As far as I know Livewire is still in school!
Livewire what you are feeling is normal its called resentment it will pass, don't get all twisted up about it, its normal!Shoot the birds where you want just make sure you eat them LOL!

Yes I'm still in school, Douglas college to be exact. I pay for my post secondary education, I don't take grant money and the government certainly doesn't pays money to go to school.

CanuckShooter
01-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Yes I'm still in school, Douglas college to be exact. I pay for my post secondary education, I don't take grant money and the government certainly doesn't pays money to go to school.

To bad you couldn't get a scholarship or bursary! Although US taxpayers are still subsidizing your college education, how does it feel to be hanging on the taxpayers teat? Bet you never thought of yourself as a freeloader?

Livewire322
01-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Please elaborate on this subsidization done by the US! As my peers would say pics or it didn't happen!
Even so I save power so bc hydro can sell it to the freeloading yanks, so I'll play with the statue of liberties jugs all day long. It's a give take relationship :D
I didn't apply for scholarships or bursaries...

Gateholio
01-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Although it is off topic, public funding for schooling is available to all, regardless of race. No special treatment due to livewires race. So once again, CS's arguments have no merit. Embarrassing :oops:

Ps iatl

Yes, I have special priedges on hbc. Life isn't fair. :)