PDA

View Full Version : Removing arrows from targets

allan
01-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Are there any products that work well to make arrow removal easier out of foam/ 3d targets? I can hardly pull my arrows out of one of my foam targets that I have.
I'm shooting a PSE Vendetta xl, 32" draw 70 lb, x weave 400's.
Thanks

BearStump
01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.bowflex.ca/bowflex_home_gyms_ca/homepage.jsp

millman911
01-02-2012, 10:22 AM
now that is funny. Good one Bearstump

NaStY
01-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Go to your local sport shop and find a "easy arrow puller" There made of tough rubber and fit in the palm of your hand.

bowhunterbruce
01-02-2012, 10:28 AM
there are many hand held arrow removal grips on the market.go to princess auto and get yourself some anti slip matting then cut yourself an 8x8 in piece.use the rest in your cupboard and draws and shelfs of any rv/camper etc.
cheap and effective and lots left over for other stuff.
bhb

The Hermit
01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
There are also products on the market that "lube" up your arrows... make sure to only lube the first couple inches from the tip up the shaft otherwise your may never get a grip!

swamper
01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
One of the best, and cheapest lubes, is a plain old bar of Ivory soap. Lube the front 6 inches of the arrow and you will be surprised how easy your arrows are to pull.

ThinAir
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Use lube, and shoot black shafts if possible. Camo shafts suck to pull

Slinky Pickle
01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
One of the best, and cheapest lubes, is a plain old bar of Ivory soap. Lube the front 6 inches of the arrow and you will be surprised how easy your arrows are to pull.

x2 but make sure you get ALL of the scent off the shaft before hunting season!

Bow Walker
01-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Easy Arrow Puller, Gorilla Grip...., etc. used to be you could get an old inner tube from a flat tire and cut yourself a 6 inch square. That works like a hit-damned.

Dedicate a few arrows for target/3D and use a small bar of soap, that works best of all. No need to buy any expensive liquid lubes.

Jagermeister
01-02-2012, 11:47 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Sk6bLNGTL._SS500_.jpg

RoscoeP
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
The above one is what I have and it is great, I have tried home made ones and find them to thin, harder to grip. The above one is about $10 and well worth it. Cheers Roscoe

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 01:03 PM
and if you still find that you are having problems pulling arrows with an arrow puller. Woodys Arrow lube is the best stuff on the market. dont bother with the scorpion garbage. that stuff sucks. Woodys arrow lube works awesome.

MikeH
01-02-2012, 01:06 PM
I've never used soap have to give it a try!All I've done is grab the shaft pull and turn clockwise.Turning seems to help a bit new targets suck until they get beat up.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-02-2012, 05:47 PM
and if you still find that you are having problems pulling arrows with an arrow puller. Woodys Arrow lube is the best stuff on the market. dont bother with the scorpion garbage. that stuff sucks. Woodys arrow lube works awesome.
Yep ... I used to use Ivory soap ... untill I tried woodys .... I tried everything else and keep coming back to woodys

I've never used soap have to give it a try!All I've done is grab the shaft pull and turn clockwise.Turning seems to help a bit new targets suck until they get beat up.
Thats a great way to crack a shaft and have it explode next time its shot .....

MRP
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Arojac Arrow Puller
http://www.archersrus.com/product.php?id_product=19403

303Brit
01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
x2 but make sure you get ALL of the scent off the shaft before hunting season!

That's what she said ;)

Bow Walker
01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Arojac Arrow Puller
http://www.archersrus.com/product.php?id_product=19403
GIMMICK.

Any 3D shoot that I've been at you would have no time at all to set that thing up and use it.

For the price of that thing you could have all the Woody's Arrow Lube that you ever wanted.

...not a shot at you MRP - just my thoughts on that 'tool'...

32-40win
01-03-2012, 11:40 AM
A piece of the shelf matting works well, especially if it's wet out, inner tube is next best. Used to wipe them with some silicone spray lube, worked about the best of anything I could find. There was a tubular, fuzz lined, rubber cover wiper, around in some of the archery shops that I used to spray it into. There are some carbon arrows out there that are just a pain in any dense foam target. We broke a Mackenzie coyote in half one day in Red Deer trying to get an ACC out of it, and they were easier to pull than a lot of them.

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
GIMMICK.

Any 3D shoot that I've been at you would have no time at all to set that thing up and use it.

For the price of that thing you could have all the Woody's Arrow Lube that you ever wanted.

...not a shot at you MRP - just my thoughts on that 'tool'...

I agree with Bow Walker also. It is much too complicated and time consuming to use when shooting the regular archery target butts. Probably would be a good go if you thumped an arrow into something much harder like a log or tree.

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
A piece of the shelf matting works well, especially if it's wet out, inner tube is next best. Used to wipe them with some silicone spray lube, worked about the best of anything I could find. There was a tubular, fuzz lined, rubber cover wiper, around in some of the archery shops that I used to spray it into. There are some carbon arrows out there that are just a pain in any dense foam target. We broke a Mackenzie coyote in half one day in Red Deer trying to get an ACC out of it, and they were easier to pull than a lot of them.
Sometimes it is more practical to push the arrow through and try to remove it from the other side.

Bow Walker
01-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Sending arrows past/over/under/around targets and into the trees or stumps that often backstop smaller targets usually results in an arrow that is minus its point and insert when (or if) you recover it.

Most shooters that I know carry a small hammer and knife/chisel/pry bar to use on trees and or stumps. Although you've got to be careful that you don't start digging into your arrow shaft instead of the surrounding wood. I've ruined at least one arrow that way....

I've also pushed arrows through targets to recover them - not 3D targets, but the field target butts. Some of them get pretty well used towards the center or bulls-eye part and it's sometimes easy to push a buried arrow on through to get it out.

nolan-sawka
01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
twist your arrow then pull it out

Bow Walker
01-06-2012, 05:12 PM
twist your arrow then pull it out
Nah - that's a good way to crack or fracture a carbon shaft, not to mention that you might twist too much and leave an insert or point behind.

Lubing the shaft is the only sure way of being able to pull out the arrow quickly and easily.

MRP
01-06-2012, 06:40 PM
I agree with Bow Walker also. It is much too complicated and time consuming to use when shooting the regular archery target butts. Probably would be a good go if you thumped an arrow into something much harder like a log or tree.

My thoughts too. Just throwing it out there. Might be good for a club when someone sticks one in the plywood. Not that I’ve ever done that. :?

Vader
01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Always shoot with a strong young fella and let him pull... you keep score... pacify him with all yer hunting stories and he'll pull all day... even all weekend.. :P

shotgunner
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I used the yellow with rubber treatment gloves ( powersaw gloves ) that you can by for cheap. Works great and easy to put on and off as needed.

Bow Walker
01-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Now that there is a good idea!

Red arch
01-14-2012, 11:00 PM
The best way to get an arrow out of a piece of plywood is hammers. There is a reason we always put them behind the backstops at BC's Largest Indoor every year.