PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Stone Sheep Hunt

ryanb
01-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I decided to post this story because as I felt a little bit guilty about enjoying everyone elses stone sheep stories posted this year. Stories that people were nice enough to share despite a lot of the BS that always seems to crop up on sheep hunting stories posted on HBC.

As we all know a sheep hunting partner is hard to find...and I found myself without one this year after booking my vacation in early August for the purpose of going on my first sheep hunt. For a while I contemplated going solo, but on a far less ambitious hunt. Perhaps a hike-in off the highway. This held little appeal to me. I've never been a fan of competing with lots of other hunters. I decided to post a "personal ad" on HBC to try and find someone with similar goals to myself who might also be looking for a partner. I was lucky enough to find a great partner in Vip_Ruger .

After a lot of talking over the phone to make sure we were on the same page, we came up with a plan. July 28th saw me hitting the road early in the morning for the long drive to the north country . Fast forward 2 days, and the 30th saw the both of us making our way into sheep heaven. We got a late start to hiking on the 30th and made it about 4 hours up the mountain. As darkness fell we found a comfy spot to camp.

The morning of 31st was beatiful and sunny, and we were on the way up the mountain by about 5:30 am. Right at dawn we saw our first sheep, a big band of ewes and lambs. A good sign. Some 12 hours later we found our way into the valley we planned to hunt. Despite a lot of glassing along the way, no further sheep were spotted. Immediately obvious was the fact that water was going to be a big problem. There was none to be found except in valley bottoms. We decided to compromise and make our camp somewhat above the valley bottom but nowhere near the top. As we set up camp a major rainstorm moved in and we got soaked as we scrambled to errect our tents. Tired and with a big chill going we both climbed into our tents and slept for a while.
I woke up at around 9pm and poked my head out of the tent. The rain had moved along and it was a clear evening. I grabbed the binos and had a look around with only my head poking out of the tent. After 5 minutes of meticulously scouring the hillsides I spotted sheep, and it was immediately obvious they were rams, about 7 of them. We climed up the hill a bit behind camp to have a better look with the spotter. The rams were about 2km away, but it was obvious there was one ram in the band worth closer examination.

The next morning we woke up early and confirmed the rams were still where we put them to bed. We made a plan to hike up the ridge behind the face they were bedded on and have a good look at them from above. A couple hours later we peaked over the ridge to find them bedded right where we last saw them, now about 50 yards away. The one good ram was extremely borderline on full curl, I had him about 1/2cm below full and we both aged him at 7. No-go.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/DSC00958.jpg

We hunted onward up the ridge. A few hours later, scouring the mountain range across from us, Vip_Ruger spotted a band of 4 rams. These rams were about 3km away...but there appeared to be at least a couple worthy of closer inspection. We decided it was too late to make a move on them, so we made our way back to camp.

The next day we made our way up to where we had last spotted the band of 4 rams. We found them, as well as another band...but none were legal. The rams were between us and camp, and on our way back we snapped these photos.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/3.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/DSC00976.jpghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/P1000631.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/DSC00970.jpg

The next day we made our way back up the same ridge, and spotted a couple different bands of rams. There may have been some legal squeakers in the two bands which were both a long ways off, but none really jumped out at either of us...so we decided not to pursue them which would have meant a night without shelter.

ryanb
01-01-2012, 10:24 PM
The next day, we made our way up the same ridge again hoping to spend some time glassing over some new basins we handn't peeked into yet. As we neared the top of the ridge, there was a large group of sheep right there in the next basin over. Closer inspection revealed mostly ewes and lambs and a banana curl ram. Trying not to be complacent, I decided to scan more closely and scanning just uphill of the ewes and lambs aout 100 yards or so, I spotted rams, 6 or 7 of them bedded on a bench. One immediately stood out to me. He was seriously heavy and broomed. We had to get close to be sure of his legality, and over the next 3 hours that's exactly what we did...playing cat and mouse with them as they fed through some cliffy benches. Eventually we ended up closer than I would have liked about 30 yards from the bedded band but the wind was in our favour. The big guy was bedded in the middle with all eyes pointed outwards. All I could see was his rear end. What seemed like an eternity passed, but was probably only 15 minutes or so. The big one decided to get up and stretch and moved over to the outside of the band, presenting his horns for close inspection and a clean shot.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/2.jpg

I wish we could have found Vip_Ruger a ram as well, but we will be back in the mountains this year for another crack at it. I never thought my first sheep hunt would be so successful, and I owe a lot to my partner in making this hunt a success. The ram scored 160" net after 60 days and is 9 years old. Bases are 14 1/4".

I hope you enjoy the story and photos and I hope that others continue to share their successful hunts on this site...because lets face it, that's the only reason 90% of us come on here.

BlacktailStalker
01-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Awesome :cool:

Bear Chaser
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Great story and congratulations on a nice ram.

Ovis17
01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Nice ram. Congratulations!

Buck
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Congrats Thanks for posting i've been dreaming of sheep hunting this evening.

Rattler
01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Nice ram. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

yama49
01-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Great ram, thx for deciding to share the story with us..

Kitimat Killer
01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
congrats on a nice ram way to go

kk

kootenayelkslayer
01-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Wicked ram! Congrats guys, he's a beauty. Love the mass and character.

BCbillies
01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Can't ask for much more on a first Stone's hunt . . . good partner, plenty of sheep, beautiful county and a good ram to bring home. ~ 36" on the horn? Congrats.

Skull Hunter
01-01-2012, 11:50 PM
That's a great looking sheep. I'd be tickled pink with something like that. Congratulations on a great hunt. One question for ya, as a complete rookie sheep hunter I would be very reluctant to take a shot unless the horns were clearly above the nose. From the picture you posted I can't tell if yours does or not, so I'm curious. I'm not questioning legality at all, I'm just curious to know what I need to look for if I ever start chasing sheep. Sure is a beauty ram and I think it'd be pretty hard to beat!

vip_ruger
01-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Very well put Ryan that was a great hunt

porcupine
01-02-2012, 12:17 AM
congratulations on a nice ram. Love the mountain scenery in the background. ;-)

moose2
01-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Nice ram and good story and pictures congratulations
Mike

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 02:21 AM
That is one real nice ram nice picture of you and your partner nice wright up ,this picture of the two of you would be blowen up and in a frame if it was me ????,congrats to the two of you..

d6dan
01-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Good story and beauty Ram ryanb. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.:-D.

kennyj
01-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Great story! Congratulations on a fine old ram.
Thanks for posting your story.
kenny

Crossfire
01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Really nice. Good on ya! Thanks for the story.

01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Congratulations on a fantastic ram....and good luck this year finding another!

Maxx
01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
About time you posted this story:wink: Congrats again on a great ram.

rudysteelhead
01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Great story. thanks for sharing

Stone Sheep Steve
01-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Congrats on a beauty ram, Ryan!!!
Glad you posted your story and it sure in nice that some people save their hunting tales for the slower times of the yr.
Best of luck this coming season!

SSS

srupp
01-02-2012, 11:16 AM
wonderful...both the account and the photo and the success..well done

question. what did the length of the curls go??

Srupp

mark
01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Congrads Ryan, I wondered how your trip went???

ianwuzhere
01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
wicked!! sometimes two rams is just too much work packing it all out with all your other gear..
congrats on a nice ram, hopefully the favour can be returned this year....
thanx for postin

BiG Boar
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Great story and pics, thanks for sharing! Good looking ram!

whitetailsheds
01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for posting....love the sheep stories!

pickaspot
01-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for posting... and CONGRATS on a beauty!!!

BCrams
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Beautiful ram!! Congratulations on a great trip and thnks for sharing with everyone!

bruin
01-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Great ram Ryan. Sounds like you guys had lots of action! Nice to read a new hunting story this time of year! Good luck in the year to come.

swampthing
01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Nice work and congrats on finding a good partner.

ydouask
01-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Congratulations to both of you. Great story.

91Jason91
01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Nice ram and story thanks for sharing, the 4th picture down looks insane how they are walking on that incline
and did you blure the picture back ground out so people dont know where your spot is lol =P

lorneparker1
01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
and did you blure the picture back ground out so people dont know where your spot is lol =P

Yes

Lorne :)

Ozzy
01-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Awesome story, nothing like sheep hunting !

ryanb
01-04-2012, 12:26 PM
A couple people asked the horn length, both 36". Unbroomed they might have made the magic 40"...I couldn't be happier with the ram and will remember this hunt for ever.