PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on buying a first bow. Anything is appreciated!!

Bc Deer Hunter
01-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Greeting's to all HBC member's! I have waited on getting a bow for a while now. I was going to buy one before the season started but i was advised it might not be 'ethical' to purchase a bow with no experiance and hit a animal in the gut, leg, ect. So now with the season done i will have a couple month's to practise and possiblly go to some 3d shoots! :mrgreen:
All opinions are taken into thought and all help me out so fire away!:mrgreen: Try to keep this cival.......:twisted:
These are the ones i am interested in:

Apa Sidewinder HE2 (Link) http://www.apaarchery.com/bows-sidewinder-he2.html
Hoyt vector 32 (Link) http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/vector+32
Hoyt rampage xt (Link) http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/rampage+xt

Trying to keep it under 800$. Thanks for the help. -
Hogan

Riverbc
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
All 3 companies make good bows....the Sidewinder is a shorter bow, being 30 inches, axle to axle, compared to the 32 inches of the other two. If you've narrowed it down to these 3 bows, then I'd advise you to go shoot all three bows, and make your decision based on how the bow fits you, how it feels, and how it shoots.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
and Riverbc,
Do you know where i could shoot these bows? And being only 30'' axle to axle was the originally why i wanted the sidewinder! because im only 15 i thought it would suit me better. thanks for the advise.-
Hogan

knockturnal
01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
You are in kelowna so I'd reccommend going into Hardcore Archery. They have a large selection of bows and are great to deal with. They have quite a few APA bows in stock. As well as Mathews and PSE. They don't stock Hoyt anymore but they will order one for you.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes sir, i have been there a couple times! haha, the problem is that only a couple of there bows have draw weight's in my range and those bows im not really interested in! I'll have to talk to one of them about ordering maybe ;)

knockturnal
01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I know you have your heart set on those bows but you need to get one that you can shoot. Something like a Razors Edge by Diamond. Turn it down low and as you grow, it to will grow with you. Very adjustable. Easy to shoot and well within your price range. I went through 3 bows when I was your age. Had to work up to the big boy toys.

000buck
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
my son is 14 he just bought an apa sidewinder but he is strongly influenced by his dads apa mamba. Its a great bow if you can pull 48 + lbs

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 12:08 AM
I know you have your heart set on those bows but you need to get one that you can shoot. Something like a Razors Edge by Diamond. Turn it down low and as you grow, it to will grow with you. Very adjustable. Easy to shoot and well within your price range. I went through 3 bows when I was your age. Had to work up to the big boy toys.
i hear you on that, correct me if im wrong cant you just replace the cams on a 50 pond bow and make it a 60 or 70?
Thanks for all the advise, i appreciate it!

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Poundage is more controlled by the limbs and not so much the cams. Changing out the cams will change your draw length.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 12:17 AM
learn a new thing evrey day haha :) If you where my age what would you choose for a bow? thanks again-
Hogan

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 01:08 AM
All depends on how much weight you can pull comfortably. You are still growing and you need a bow that will grow with you until you are ready to jump into a full size bow. Like I said before with the razor edge. It's a great starter bow. IIRC it is 30-60lb pull with a draw length of 19-29". It's got a 75% let off and it is a 7 inch brace height making it a very forgiving bow to shoot. I know lots of people that shoot it and they love it. It's just an all around good bow to get started with. Once you become accostomed to pulling back 50lbs consistantly, then that's when I would start looking at upgrading. And for $400 brand new ready to shoot you can't really go wrong! But that's just my opinion.

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 01:11 AM
And the last thing that you want to do is get a bow that is to big or to heavy of a draw. You will develop bad habits from shooting a bow that isn't tuned for you.

Riverbc
01-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Knockturnal gives some good advice
I'd like to add, that when you go to an archery shop, have them show you proper form, and determine your draw length and eye domination....then see what weight you can comfortably draw. Now you can go from there and check out bows, knowing your personal specs.

TheProvider
01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
knockturnal makes a good point. you are at the age where your still growing and if you've stopped growing your only going to get stronger. DO you happen to know how much poundage your able to pull?? The hoyt ruckus is a great youth bow, 10" of draw length adjustment and 10-50lbs draw weight. If your keen on it try to shoot it before purchasing. You pretty much can only go wrong these days by buying a bow thats to big or not comfortable to you. Most bow companies have youth bows that'll work for you till your all done growing. Plus getting a bow that has so much adjustment in the draw poundage if you practice often you'll notice you'll build up your back and shoulder muscles pretty fast. Keep in mind you'll have to atleast be shooting 40lbs before you can hunt with it.

The Hermit
01-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Riverbc has a very good point about knowing your eye dominance. Since you are just starting out go with a bow matched to your eye dominance and learn to shoot that way. If you are right/left handed it might be initially easier and more "natural" feeling shooting right/left handed but in a matter of days you will adjust to shooting with the opposite hand... especially if you are smart enough to take everyones advise to start out with very low draw weights and work up, strengthening and training your muscles over a couple months as you slowly increase draw weight. In other words, lets assume you are right handed but you're left eye is dominant... buy an easily adjustable left handed bow and learn to shoot it, you will be better off in the long run.

The advise I got when starting out was to buy a medium priced package, one with a bow that has a lot of adjustability for draw weight, set it low and increase it over time so that you don't develop bad form trying to pull a bow that is too heavy for you. The other good reason to do this is that such bows are relatively easy to sell at a decent return on your investment to another beginner when you are ready to move up in a couple years... and you will want to upgrade! If you buy a bow with minimal adjustability they can be hard to sell because there are so many fewer people that want exactly that set up. A good suggestion for beginners is to purchase your bow from a good local archery shop, eg Hardcore and have them set up up, paper tune it and match it to your body... in that process I'm sure they will give your some excellent tips and initial instruction that will make your experience so much more enjoyable! Cheers.

Hummmm just had a thought and since you are only fifteen... we know from neurological brain research that brain instructions to physical functioning crosses the hemispheres affecting the opposite side of the body. I'm wonky in that I'm left eye dominant but the vision in my right eye is much better, and I'm right handed... maybe there is something to that old wives tail about masturbation causing blindness! LOL

TheProvider
01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Just went through a article I remember seeing. Mission(by mathews) Craze, Hoyt Ruckus, Bear Apprentice, Diamond Razor Edge. All youth bows. The Hermit makes a very good point about the resale.

Bow Walker
01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Buying a weight-specific bow at this point in time (for you) will only lead to having to sell it to upgrade in a year or two. Far better to buy a bow that will grow with you for a few years, and one that will "do the job" - like bring down a deer - as you grow into it.

Not that you're a little kid or anything, but you do have a bit of growing to do and more muscle mass to add to your body.

My advice would be to get a package like the Stinger - http://www.huntersfriend.com/2012_PSE_Stinger_3G/best_compound_bow_for_the_money.htm

This bow is one that you can use right away - one that you can grow into - and one that (if you choose) you can keep for a very long time. Also, the re-sale value is very good if or when you want to sell.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 12:18 PM
@ knockturnal,RiverBC, Provider, and Hermit thank you guys for all great tips! Think i might settle with the dimond razor edge, cause really where the hell are you going to get a bow with 30 to 60 # draw weight and a 19 to 29'' draw length that is FIELD ready at 449$$$$ also it shoot's an ibo speed of 308 FPS (note: the ibo speed of the diamond razor is identical to the ibo speed of the craze just the diamond your pulling 60# instead of 70# with the craze!!) I'll definatlly have to talk to ken or kory and see what they can do for me! Please feel free to add any more advise/tips or if you know of other bows that have 20# plus adjustablity!:mrgreen: thanks again-
Hogan

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Buying a weight-specific bow at this point in time (for you) will only lead to having to sell it to upgrade in a year or two. Far better to buy a bow that will grow with you for a few years, and one that will "do the job" - like bring down a deer - as you grow into it.

Not that you're a little kid or anything, but you do have a bit of growing to do and more muscle mass to add to your body.

My advice would be to get a package like the Stinger - http://www.huntersfriend.com/2012_PSE_Stinger_3G/best_compound_bow_for_the_money.htm

This bow is one that you can use right away - one that you can grow into - and one that (if you choose) you can keep for a very long time. Also, the re-sale value is very good if or when you want to sell.

Great! I think they have some stingers in hardcore too! This is a great package aswell! the thing that i was worried about the diamond razor is it looks very cheap while the stinger looks like a top of the line bow! I'm going to have to sit on this one for a looong time..
Thanks for the help bowwalker, BTW do you go to any 3d's around Kelowna?

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I just sold my fiancés razors edge. She shot it for over a year and in that time we never had a single problem with it. Hell, I used to shoot it when I wanted a change. Turns Out that I could successfully shoot her bow and group better then her. Haha. She didn't like that to much.

The thing that you have going for you is that you are young. when i was your age, i developed bad habits because all the bows that i shot were adult bows turned down. i never had the opportunity to start low and work up. You are willing to learn and seem like you might be pretty passionate about joining the bowhunting world. My one word of advice is to take all the advice you get and use it. A lot of kids these days seem to think that they know everything and aren't willing to be helped. The archery world is full of great people giving great advice and it would be a shame not to use it. Welcome to your new addiction.

As for 3ds, you'll see me at almost all the 3d events in the interior.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the help Knockturnal and it would be great to meet some of you guys at some shoots! Would you recommened ordering a bow from my house or order it from an archery shop? take care-
Hogan

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
id go see Hardcore and get measured up from them. Its hard to beat the service and they can help you a ton and answer all your questions.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
What do you mean measured up? like draw length?Cause half way through last season i went there and ken measured my draw lenght ad said i was 27''!

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 02:34 PM
its not just draw length that you need to worry about. Theres a lot more to it. Even if you do buy a bow from somewhere else, youll still end up going in there so they can set it up for you. the peep will have to be set to your eye. which then changes where your sight will go. which then could possibly change your rest. YOUR bow will be a well tuned machine that meant for YOU. If you have grown at all since the last time he measured you, your draw length might have changed. Hell, ive been shooting a bow for the past 15 years and just this past year, while getting a new string on my bow realized that my anchor point was WAY to high. The only way i found that out was by going in there and having one of the guys watch me shoot.

TheProvider
01-02-2012, 06:46 PM
definately get it at the shop, if you had experince I'd say at home but go to the shop and they'll set it up perfectly for you. Plus you'll be able to try out releases and get your arrows cut. And I imagine a lesson on form and shooting. PLus the guys at hardcore will know about up coming 3d shoots and what not.

Riverbc
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
BC 3D Events for 2012 (http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/3D2012.html)
The list will be update as canuck2 gets more information.

The Hermit
01-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Get it at the shop! Notice that although I sell bows I didn't suggest getting a Limbsaver? Why? Because I firmly believe that new shooters should get everything set up locally by experienced guys! Also, Limbsavers are top of the line and geared to experienced shooters.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Get it at the shop!

Will do! and thank you Hermit for all the advise :)

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 08:44 PM
definately get it at the shop, if you had experince I'd say at home but go to the shop and they'll set it up perfectly for you. Plus you'll be able to try out releases and get your arrows cut. And I imagine a lesson on form and shooting. PLus the guys at hardcore will know about up coming 3d shoots and what not.

Alright sounds like a plan!! Any good AFFORTABLE releases on the market right now? And thanks you to Provider for all the help!

Bc Deer Hunter
01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
BC 3D Events for 2012 (http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/3D2012.html)
The list will be update as canuck2 gets more information.

Very cool might see ya at the kelowna ones? ;)

TheProvider
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Try not to skimp on the release even if funds are tight. A release is very important part of your setup. There's lots under a $100, I shoot a scotts shark I think it goes for $65. I love it, haven't had any troubles with it, very crisp trigger with no creep(hair trigger, I keep my finger well away from it while drawing). Others I'm sure will post up ideas. The shop should have a few to try.

knockturnal
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I shoot one of the fletcher .44s with the leather strap rather then the Velcro. You get a consistent fit every time you put it on. I've also tuned it so it's very light. I can't shoot a thumb release as I have shoulder problems.

TheProvider
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
x2 buckle strap, my release before this one was velcro and I prefer the buckle

mikeboehm
01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I use the truball extreme 4 finger. I used to use a velco trigger style. When i switched my groups got way tighter. Go to the shop and try releases to see what feels comfortable. Then decide. IMHO stay away from trufire

Bc Deer Hunter
01-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I shoot one of the fletcher .44s with the leather strap rather then the Velcro. You get a consistent fit every time you put it on. I've also tuned it so it's very light. I can't shoot a thumb release as I have shoulder problems.
Thank you aswell for the great tip's knockturnal! Good to get evreything right the first time.. so this has helped :D hopefully i will see you at some 3ds near kelowna!

I use the truball extreme 4 finger. I used to use a velco trigger style. When i switched my groups got way tighter. Go to the shop and try releases to see what feels comfortable. Then decide. IMHO stay away from trufire
Thanks for the advise!

Try not to skimp on the release even if funds are tight. A release is very important part of your setup. There's lots under a $100, I shoot a scotts shark I think it goes for $65. I love it, haven't had any troubles with it, very crisp trigger with no creep(hair trigger, I keep my finger well away from it while drawing). Others I'm sure will post up ideas. The shop should have a few to try.
Thanks Provider for all of the tips means a lot! it would be nice to see you at some 3d's in the future?! happy hunting-
Hogan :)

Bowzone_Mikey
01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I personally dont like a hair trigger ... I like a Crisp heavy trigger ... more consistantsy from it and you also have a tendancy to "punch" a light hair trigger ... just like a good Rifle trigger ... 3-4 pounds of pressure is good ... Releases are as personal as your bow setup ... I like the Carter brand of Handhelds as well as wrist strap ... the "Like Mike" series are great for hunting and 3D alike .... Designed by argueably the best 3D shooter on the Planet (Micheal Braden) and thats what he uses at 3.5 pounds of trigger

I also like the tru Fire and Tru-ball series of releases ... If you have a D loop ... try to find one that you like with a single jaw or Hook ... If you shoot off the string that is where you will a 2 jaw caliper style excell (to fit a 2 jaw caliper into a d-loop ... properly ... you need to have a big ass loop ... thus robbing performance)

Bc Deer Hunter
01-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I personally dont like a hair trigger ... I like a Crisp heavy trigger ... more consistantsy from it and you also have a tendancy to "punch" a light hair trigger ... just like a good Rifle trigger ... 3-4 pounds of pressure is good ... Releases are as personal as your bow setup ... I like the Carter brand of Handhelds as well as wrist strap ... the "Like Mike" series are great for hunting and 3D alike .... Designed by argueably the best 3D shooter on the Planet (Micheal Braden) and thats what he uses at 3.5 pounds of trigger

I also like the tru Fire and Tru-ball series of releases ... If you have a D loop ... try to find one that you like with a single jaw or Hook ... If you shoot off the string that is where you will a 2 jaw caliper style excell (to fit a 2 jaw caliper into a d-loop ... properly ... you need to have a big ass loop ... thus robbing performance)

Thanks Mikey, and do you perfer a d loop on your bow? also what type of bow would you suggest for me? (5ft7in at 125pounds, and i got my draw length measured today and it's 27in.) I'm completly new to this as i have said, so anything helps really! Thanks again-
Hogan

Bowzone_Mikey
01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes I use a loop as it causes less tourqe on the string and is more consistant ...

If I follow you correctly ... you are young right ... therfore still growing .... I personally Like the Razors Edge for smaller people as it will grow with ya .... If dont want what some call a "kiddy bow" which is BS anyway as I know alot of adults that shoot the RE ... some are your size ... some are bigger ....and you dont want to keep dumping money into to change out the cams/modules ... I would look at 60 pound max bow ... with adjustible cams .. the lower end of those bows should get down to about 48 pounds ... try as many as you can and see what fits "you " right ... Just because an Elite fits me ... doesnt mean it will fit you

What is your genetic line like .... do you expect to grow alot more???

I am not an advocate of buying online unless you know what exactly you want ... there are a few shops in the Kelowna area ... One of which is a sponsor of this site and i have sent alot of people in looking for Ken at Hardcore ...
PM me if you are interested in other shops I can point ya to

Mike

BlackwaterHunter
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I made the mistake of buying a real nice apa mamba m7 last year, shot great but it turns out it wasent what i want, do your research

tshort
01-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I shoot a diamond razor edge 60lb 31in draw it goes up to 36in draw I love it I recommend diamond or bowrech witch is also a sister company of diamond check out there site . http://diamondbows.com

tshort
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
I recommend diamond bows or there sister company bowtech I am 16 and I shoot there razor edge 60lb draw compound bow check out there selection they have good prices.check out there site diamondbows.com or bowtech.com

tshort
01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi I shoot the diamond razor edge and there is no need for a bow vice for adjusting at all I love my bow it is fully adjustable for the price it is amazing it starts at 30lb then goes up to 60lb very smooth and quiet. Deadly. Accurate. Dependable and amazing

tshort
01-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I use a cobra all adjust release with my diamond razor edge it is 100$ and it works really good for my bow it works the best on my bow for all of the other releases I have tried

Bc Deer Hunter
01-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the help i will hopfully get one before the spring! And that releases is just called a Cobra all adjust? I'll have to give it a try when i get my bow! thanks again for the tips, and im going to cheak out that site right now :) -
Hogan

Good Old Outdoors
01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Im looking to buy a bow here too! I have been hunting an area for years where i always see deer within 40 yards, I figure i may as well use a bow! And I have always wanted to get into bow hunting. I have read this thread among others and think you guys sure know your stuff. I will stop by Hardcore when i get back in the country, Im gonna look at a PSE Brute X or Stinger, 60lb.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Im looking to buy a bow here too! I have been hunting an area for years where i always see deer within 40 yards, I figure i may as well use a bow! And I have always wanted to get into bow hunting. I have read this thread among others and think you guys sure know your stuff. I will stop by Hardcore when i get back in the country, Im gonna look at a PSE Brute X or Stinger, 60lb.

Great! gald im in the same boat as someone XD I know i can't wait for the next season! And im happy the thread could help you aswell :) Best of luck for the 2012 season-
Hogan

Good Old Outdoors
01-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Yeah! I missed all of 2011 season so im so excited about this year! Already have at least 2 hunts planned for this season! Good luck to you as well!

91Jason91
01-07-2012, 12:05 AM
I have the pse stinger for my first bow and I love it for what I do with it

knockturnal
01-07-2012, 12:15 AM
I shoot a diamond razor edge 60lb 31in draw it goes up to 36in draw I love it I recommend diamond or bowrech witch is also a sister company of diamond check out there site . http://diamondbows.com

I'm not one to rip on someone for giving advice but a razors edge only goes up to 29" draw. It definitely doesn't come close to hitting 36".

beni
01-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Don't forget about the Hoyt shop in Chase, BC guys. I've heard nothing but GREAT things from people about the owner and his shop!!!

I believe he's a certified Hoyt tech or something along those lines?? anyone chime in

Good Old Outdoors
01-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Good to know! I haven't had the chance to check a hoyt out yet, but im sure i will!

knockturnal
01-07-2012, 09:25 AM
There's also Don in Christina lake. Cascade archery. He is A Hoyt dealer as well.

Riverbc
01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I recommend diamond bows or there sister company bowtech I am 16 and I shoot there razor edge 60lb draw compound bow check out there selection they have good prices.check out there site diamondbows.com or bowtech.com
Here are the correct links for Diamond Bows and Bowtech
http://www.diamondarchery.com/#/home?r=-1&i=0
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/#/home?r=-1&i=0

Bow Walker
01-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Ya know what? Whatever you get now - you'll be 'upgrading' within two to three years. Count on it, it's a given - but don't go cheap quality now just because you'll be likely to want to sell it later...

Once you get started in bow shooting you'll learn a lot and gain a bunch of experience as you learn - all of which will make you want to get better and better equipment as you learn and grow.

tshort
01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
haha sorry I typed in the wrong numbers. And yes cobra all adjust c-162 I belive,.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Here are the correct links for Diamond Bows and Bowtech
http://www.diamondarchery.com/#/home?r=-1&i=0
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/#/home?r=-1&i=0

Ya know what? Whatever you get now - you'll be 'upgrading' within two to three years. Count on it, it's a given - but don't go cheap quality now just because you'll be likely to want to sell it later...

Once you get started in bow shooting you'll learn a lot and gain a bunch of experience as you learn - all of which will make you want to get better and better equipment as you learn and grow.

That was one of my concerns from the geko.... i bought my excalibur two years ago for about 1.2k new and now its only worth about 650 NEW! so i would be lucky to get 550 or so for it! :(

Ruger4
01-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Diamond Razor Fanclub , fyi there are 2 different sets of limbs available , one of my girls has her's set at 19lbs shes's 6 but I'm thinking you will be able to pull more than that right away. Also check out the new PSE Rally , 15-50 lbs , 7.5'' brace height , 308 fps ibo , 33-3/4 ata , also check out the Mathews Craze , if you settle on one of the above , you'll get your money back down the road when you've shot lots and are ready to move up to the next level.

Bc Deer Hunter
01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Diamond Razor Fanclub , fyi there are 2 different sets of limbs available , one of my girls has her's set at 19lbs shes's 6 but I'm thinking you will be able to pull more than that right away. Also check out the new PSE Rally , 15-50 lbs , 7.5'' brace height , 308 fps ibo , 33-3/4 ata , also check out the Mathews Craze , if you settle on one of the above , you'll get your money back down the road when you've shot lots and are ready to move up to the next level.

Yes haha i think i can probally pull 40-45 to start off :) And the problem with the rally is that i will out grow that by next year most likely, so i think my best bet would be to settle with the diamond.... thanks for the help Ruger. have a good one-
Hogan