PDA

View Full Version : Grizzley killed in hunting camp.

killer
01-01-2012, 07:40 PM
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/rushed1337/bear.jpg

I had some relatives here over the holidays finally got pics of this grizz.My cousin is a chef for an outfitting company and this is the story.The hunting camp is in northern bc one night just before waking up my cuz had what he thought was one of the horses pushing on his wall tent so he smacked it.Wrong thing to do to a grizz,the bear let out a growl and my cuz shit his pants.He said it all happened probably in under a minute,he woke his helper up grabbed his loaded rifle just as the bear came into the tent.All he can remember was taking a hip shot right at the bears head unded up killing it instantly ,soon after all camp was in the tent shaking there head,the grizz was just shy of eleven feet 970lbs.Conservation officers were notified and they flew in to check out the scene and took the bear,turns out this bear was very old the outfitter and all the guides new the bear was in the area but had never had any problems with it before.My cousin is trying to get one claw from the bear but so far its a no,man what away to wake up ,he is so lucky that he killed it instantly or there would have been some injuries or worse.This is all second hand info from cousins father,will post up more pics and any other info that comes my way when i talk to him directly.

recoil
01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Wow not too many people can say they slapped a Grizzly and lived to tell about it!

Caveman
01-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Wow!, Could have had a very different ending!

Pioneerman
01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
A hell of a story and should would not want that happening to me in a tent. The bear does not look that big, probably just the angle. Don't get me wrong any size in tent is too big lol

ROEBUCK
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Wow 11.5 feet 970 #
looks quite a young bear by the photo !

jetboat jim
01-01-2012, 08:11 PM
good read about attacks here..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#Black_ bear

bowhunterbruce
01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
my first impression was that he looked real old,very long and skinny in the face yet the ears are very far apart.his over all health dosn't look as though he had been eating good at all.he was there in camp looking for an easy meal no doubt.
bhb

Davey Crockett
01-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Did he crap his pants in his sleeping bag? What a mess.

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Thats is one big bear for sure members have talked about having loaded guns in there tent at night time well it sher paid off for your this helper I always have a loaded gun by my side at night with a flashlight on attached to the barrel you never know when a bear will come into your camp at night.
This helper was real lucky person that the shot was fatal on this bear for the first shot ,one thing I would like to know did the bear rip open the tent or go underneath the wall tent bottom ??? this story of what happened is why I will be getting two packalarms this year one for around my meat pole the other will go around my tent...

fuzzybiscuit
01-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Hunter1947-

Is the pack alarm for around your meat pole to stop some aggressive woman in camp?

BCBRAD
01-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Thats is one big bear for sure members have talked about having loaded guns in there tent at night time well it sher paid off for your this helper I always have a loaded gun by my side at night with a flashlight on attached to the barrel you never know when a bear will come into your camp at night.
This helper was real lucky person that the shot was fatal on this bear for the first shot ,one thing I would like to know did the bear rip open the tent or go underneath the wall tent bottom ??? this story of what happened is why I will be getting two packalarms this year one for around my meat pole the other will go around my tent...

having a light handy is a good idea. what we do is have a coleman gas lantern on a 20lb bottle and run it all night , like a street light. in the canvas 'walltent' you can see pretty well and shadows are produced so you get an idea what's out there. so far coyotes are the only animals to come into camp but an old or injured hungry bear can show up anytime.

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Hunter1947-

Is the pack alarm for around your meat pole to stop some aggressive woman in camp?

You give me a good laugh I needed that LOL :lol::lol: this was real funny the alarm around the meat pole its to direct her into my tent LOL I like :)..

Barracuda
01-02-2012, 09:53 AM
slender head and micky mouse ears dont normally mean a really big bear . what about other pictures?

ianwuzhere
01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Wow not too many people can say they slapped a Grizzly and lived to tell about it!

hehe ya-it was prolly thinkin "well ill pay whoever just bitch slapped me a visit"

glad to hear everyone was ok...

01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
good to see every one alright but .... got to agree with others, thats no 900 + lb bear nor 11 feet long ...... hence the myths of the G BEARS..

CT

mark
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Im guessing that 11' come from the legs all stretched out?????
Regardless, what an experience, glad i bought a pack alarm!

killer
01-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Will not havemore pics or more of story for a couple months as the cousin spends his winters touring mexico yes he is a prick post when i get more info

Stone Sheep Steve
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Cool story. I would have crapped the bed....but as others have said the claimed size is questionable....er ...should I say not believable. Maybe they added the claw-to-claw measure to the nose-to-tail measurement but forgot to divide by 2?

SSS

KodiakHntr
01-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Agree!
Judging from the guy standing (say 6 ft. & less than 200 lbs.)beside the bear my guess is 450lbs maximum & no more than 8 feet

I highly doubt that bear is much over 3 years of age and 5.5' long...... Doesn't have any facial characteristics of an older bear....

srupp
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
hmmmm...the photo doesnt really say big bear...size of ears in relation to the top and side of head, no center muscle mass...longish nose...even the forearm in relation to the upper arm...will look forward to the photos.....11 foot bear is HUMUNGOUS and instantly is obvious..

Having said that preperation, cool thinking and definitive action saved some lives great job...glad everyone is OK..new underwear can be bought...

cheers
Steven

CanuckShooter
01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
having a light handy is a good idea. what we do is have a coleman gas lantern on a 20lb bottle and run it all night , like a street light. in the canvas 'walltent' you can see pretty well and shadows are produced so you get an idea what's out there. so far coyotes are the only animals to come into camp but an old or injured hungry bear can show up anytime.

I find this funny...running a night light in hunting camp!!!! Imagine that. ;-) Have you ever run fishing line with bells around the perimeter of your camp to warn you of approaching bears?

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
I find this funny...running a night light in hunting camp!!!! Imagine that. ;-) Have you ever run fishing line with bells around the perimeter of your camp to warn you of approaching bears?

Myself I would never get to sleep.

91Jason91
01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
nice girzz

brenden
01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Six footer....... Mabey! Benadryl and earplugs make sleeping in bear country much more enjoyable.