PDA

View Full Version : building a small hunting/fishing cabin

Vancouver1234
01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
i have been looking up the laws recently and as i understand you are allowed to build on crown land as long as the door is not locked, correct me if im wrong. Anyway i thought it would be fun for me and my friends to go build a small shelter type thing, just a basic 10x12 or something. My question is does anyone know a good area within hope/harrison/mission/chilliwack area to build one, that would be near some good hunting and fishing.

thanks alot for your help

bowhunterbruce
01-01-2012, 01:51 PM
unless your a trapper/outfitter or a miner your gonna have a real tough time with it.
but goodluck.
i'd love to see where it exactly says that you can build if your not one of the above.
bhb

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 01:52 PM
unless your a trapper/outfitter or a miner your gonna have a real tough time with it.
but goodluck.
i'd love to see where it exactly says that you can build if your not one of the above.
bhb

I agree with Bruce ..

spear
01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Have a friend who has one here on the south island, a nbumber of people use it and work on it, its primarily used for surf excursions but they have had no problems so far.
I'e tought about doing the same around here somewhere, obvisouly off trail with "tough" access to limit the idiots who would ruin it

chilcotin hillbilly
01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I would be really interested to know where you heard that. I know how tough it is to get a shelter approved as an outfitter even.

Vancouver1234
01-01-2012, 02:05 PM
well from what i have read, it is completely legal as long as you know once you build it it can not be locked and once it is built it is crown property, along with everything inside of it

fearnodeer
01-01-2012, 02:15 PM
i have been looking up the laws recently and as i understand you are allowed to build on crown land as long as the door is not locked, correct me if im wrong. Anyway i thought it would be fun for me and my friends to go build a small shelter type thing, just a basic 10x12 or something. My question is does anyone know a good area within hope/harrison/mission/chilliwack area to build one, that would be near some good hunting and fishing.

If your gonna build this in the above area's i hope its at least 1 km in, i would personally build it somewere else.

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 02:16 PM
well from what i have read, it is completely legal as long as you know once you build it it can not be locked and once it is built it is crown property, along with everything inside of it

Its called squating and you are not allowed to squat on crown land a trapper has a hard time getting a permit to build a cabin on there trap line on crown land as for a miner if you where right then every tom dick and harry would have cabins everywhere out there..

Vancouver1234
01-01-2012, 02:17 PM
fearnodeer, it would be more like 30+ km in and if u dnt suggest the areas above where do you think would be a good place to do it? thanks

fearnodeer
01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
fearnodeer, it would be more like 30+ km in and if u dnt suggest the areas above where do you think would be a good place to do it? thanks

I mean off the fsr.

wos
01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Its even hard to do on a mining license lots and lots of red tape.

Vancouver1234
01-01-2012, 02:27 PM
o yeah i would try and find an old deactivated road to go off of i would be a long ways off the forest service road down a trail or something.

Jagermeister
01-01-2012, 02:28 PM
You just finish it and walk away for the day. Next day MOF guys happen upon it, Soon it will go up in smoke the first chance they get without setting the rest of the area on fire.

Brett
01-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Van1234 my family has a cabin on a river. Grandfather built it in the 60's for his trapping, he did not have a line license, he was the last in the region to hold an area license which included everything withing PG city limits and an area outside the city. The cabin was built legally at the time because he was a trapper. the cabin can only be accessed by water and it is NOT the only cabin built on the river. Almost every year BC Parks ( I believe) leave a notice there saying it will be burnt down if not destroyed by the owners. and every year my father in law phones them to talk them out of it.
They have said we can legally keep it, only because it was built legally AND only if we pay taxes on it since the 60's

The only reason it still stands is because of retirement issues at BC parks.

We have 2 cabins and the only reason to leave them unlocked is to prevent further damage.

So basically you can't built one on the up and up, and if you do it may get destroyed. BUT if your willing to take the chance of loosing your cabin.....it might be fun :)

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 02:36 PM
If you do build make shur the building is in no mans land and mountain goats has a hard time getting to it..

longstonec
01-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Get a wall tent. then you can move it around and nobody is going to be living in it when you show up. would be similar in price.

f350ps
01-01-2012, 03:00 PM
In the early 80's we built a 12'X12' shack up near Chinahead and used it for about 4 yrs with no problems. Year 5 we got in there in early November and there was a sign stapled to it saying that if we didn't remove it MOE would do it for us, and they did, burnt to the ground! Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! K

KodiakHntr
01-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Absolutely illegal.

You can't cut down a 4 foot tall fir tree without previous authorization from the crown, why would you think you'd be able to build a structure without a permit?

Apolonius
01-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes you can build it as long as you put up a sign"OCCUPY" we the 99%,be one that never had an occupation....and you can get a permit from mayor Robertson....free porta potty....

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes you can build it as long as you put up a sign"OCCUPY" we the 99%,be one that never had an occupation....and you can get a permit from mayor Robertson....free porta potty....

This is new to me :-?.

monasheemountainman
01-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I know of a few cabins around that guys have built for hunting. one right beside a logging road. it was built in 93 and its still being used.

The Dawg
01-01-2012, 03:21 PM

Bahahahaha....awesome.

But I dont think he wants a cabin on the front lawn of the art gallery ;)

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I had a forestry worker come into my hunting camp last year and said you are squatting on crown land and you only have 13 days to stay at this camp area then you have to move on and my tent is not a permanent unit.

monasheemountainman
01-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I had a forestry worker come into my hunting camp last year and said you are squatting on crown land and you only have 13 days to stay at this camp area then you have to move on and my tent is not a permanent unit. what a dink as if your buggin people there just move your tent 10 ft haha

KodiakHntr
01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
what a dink as if your buggin people there just move your tent 10 ft haha

Just some poor shmuck doing his job......

frenchbar
01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
In the early 80's we built a 12'X12' shack up near Chinahead and used it for about 4 yrs with no problems. Year 5 we got in there in early November and there was a sign stapled to it saying that if we didn't remove it MOE would do it for us, and they did, burnt to the ground! Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! K

i think i bunked out in that one 1 night ....was a nice shack ..think it was around 1981.

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 04:04 PM
what a dink as if your buggin people there just move your tent 10 ft haha

Thats what I told him and I said how are you going to know if I have moved my tent after 13 days are you going to camp right there to know if I did or not ,give me a break..

f350ps
01-01-2012, 04:13 PM
i think i bunked out in that one 1 night ....was a nice shack ..think it was around 1981.
It was about a mile before Chinahead on the Pony Valley side of the road and back in about 75'. We put a sign up encouraging guys to use it as long as they kept the area clean and chopped some wood. That was an awesome area till they logged the sh$t out of it, those big fir ridges harboured some beauty bucks! K

frenchbar
01-01-2012, 04:17 PM
It was about a mile before Chinahead on the Pony Valley side of the road and back in about 75'. We put a sign up encouraging guys to use it as long as they kept the area clean and chopped some wood. That was an awesome area till they logged the sh$t out of it, those big fir ridges harboured some beauty bucks! K
may have been in 79 or 1980 my memories shot lol...had the long meadows below it ..with a small stream running through it ....dolly vardon in that creek as well..twas good hunting back in the day alright...i beleive they burned it later that yr or the next .

doubleeagle
01-01-2012, 05:08 PM
f350ps, I still go up there, we put a fellow hunter in that cabin in early 80's very sick it was a god bless that cabin was there. The renements of the out house is still there, porcpines have just about got it down to nothing, lots of good bucks still there even after the fire

jtred
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
As I understand it if Forestry or the co's find it, they will burn it and if they can prove it was you that built it they will charge you. To my way of thinking if it was allowed we would see the bush absolutely full of crappy little shanties and all the garbage that would bring. I don't mean directly you van1234 but there have been many posts about how the FSR's look within 2hrs of Vancouver. Could you just imagine what would happen if everyone could just do as they pleased in the backcountry.

f350ps
01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
may have been in 79 or 1980 my memories shot lol...had the long meadows below it ..with a small stream running through it ....dolly vardon in that creek as well..twas good hunting back in the day alright...i beleive they burned it later that yr or the next .
That's the spot, we'd follow that meadow down and hunt the ridges on the right all the way down to an old corral. You are spot on with 79' or 80', I had to use my "call a friend" lifeline,we built it about 77'. K

f350ps
01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
f350ps, I still go up there, we put a fellow hunter in that cabin in early 80's very sick it was a god bless that cabin was there. The renements of the out house is still there, porcpines have just about got it down to nothing, lots of good bucks still there even after the fire
Glad it came in handy, funny, they burned the shack down but left the shitter, it came in handy for many years after that. I sure miss those hunts, many a critter bit the dust up there. That valley is a natural migration route for Mulies. K

lip_ripper00
01-01-2012, 05:18 PM
You go to all the trouble of building it in the middle of nowhere, a samsquatch is going to move in and you still would'nt be able to use it!!

thunderheart
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
hehehehe i like that one .....

finngun
01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
what you can do--if you build a cabin... and next time you go there and hippies or squattres are there...moved in? do you have legal justice get rid of them? i wander...

thunderheart
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
really whats the cost for such a small cabin ... take your chances but if the goose steppers find it they will put a notice on it forsure and eventually burn it ... problem with bc is it is way to dictatorial... and i was born and raised here .... the foresty or co's are just doing there job BUT some take there power a little to seriously .. just look at what happened to wayne camping /hunting ... jeeeee zuz

REMINGTON JIM
01-01-2012, 05:42 PM

Second time you have said this ! where are you reading- getting this info from ?? share it with us ! We had to through a lot of paper work to build trapping cabins - only allowed so many per area and what not !

keoke
01-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Here is a fixer upper, comes complete with out house. Its also in your preferred area too.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390342_10150431629616167_683241166_8913882_4096681 20_n.jpg

thunderheart
01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Here is a fixer upper, comes complete with out house. Its also in your preferred area too.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390342_10150431629616167_683241166_8913882_4096681 20_n.jpg

great shack ... i like that one

The Dawg
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
what you can do--if you build a cabin... and next time you go there and hippies or squattres are there...moved in? do you have legal justice get rid of them? i wander...

It would suck, but you'd have to obey the law and burn it - lock the doors first.

Damn hippies!

Allen50
01-01-2012, 06:34 PM
yea thats the problem, if all that use it would leave it as they found it, then it would not be a problem, but as you know somenut job has to smash a window, or steal something, they cant seam to leave it as it was, or even fix something if found broken, also through stuff all over, you pack it in you pack it out, thats all there is to it, but no lets just toss it near the cabin or someplace around, then cos or foresty find them then burn them as they dont want anyone in them in the summer as again the nutjob will leave a fire going, as they leave drunk,, how do i know this, well i once belonged to a 4x4 club and we took care of a two story cabin on silver lake, fixing the roof, walls windows, cleaning it up, did many new years partyes in it, even had to fight 3 feet of snow one year to get out, then heard some partyers burned it down and took the big wood stoves we had put in it,, to warm the place,, we packed in wood so no one would burn up tables, etc,, but you know it,, so now its gone no more fun to be had in it,, so good luck to you if you build one,, hope it last for a long time,, oh yea HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012 is going to be better, get your hunting stuff ready,, only 8 months away till bow season,,, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

EastKootenay
01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Section 54 of the Forest and Range Practices Act

Unauthorized construction and occupation

54 (1) A person must obtain the consent of the minister before constructing or occupying a building or other structure on Crown land in a Provincial forest unless the construction or occupation is authorized under another enactment.
(2) If the minister determines under section 71 that a person has contravened subsection (1), the minister may order the person to do one or more of the following:
(a) remove the building or other structure;
(b) destroy the building or other structure;
(c) restore the land under the building or other structure

wildcatter
01-01-2012, 07:18 PM

There is an old one a few miles back from the Mud Lakes turnoff north side of Poison Mtn, however it was already in pretty badshape a few years ago.
The roof was sagging badly, I wonder if still there or may have collapsed since.

frenchbar
01-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Thats the old cowboy cabin thats been there for many yrs ..i havent been up their for a few yrs ..the roof was in rough shape tho .

moose2
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM

this might answer some of your questions
Mike http://www.bcnorth.ca/magazine/pages/Jim/cabin/cabin1.htm

wildcatter
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Thats the old cowboy cabin thats been there for many yrs ..i havent been up their for a few yrs ..the roof was in rough shape tho .

Have you been to the cabin where the Yalakom joins the road, down below on the right side?
I wonder if it's still ok.
Here is a picture of the old cowboy cabin when it was in better shape:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Poison_Mtn_cabin.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Just realised this was my 500th post, woohoo good way to start the year

sarg
01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
now thats funny,

frenchbar
01-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Have you been to the cabin where the Yalakom joins the road, down below on the right side?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Poison_Mtn_cabin.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
Brings back many memories of that area ..stayed many nights in that cabin ..and the other 1 they called kanzak camp ..i beleive its still standing ..thanks for the photo .

Vancouver1234
01-01-2012, 11:02 PM
I know some people rent crown land, how much do you think that would cost? I saw a nice little shack on the side of big silver creek harrison...I guess they must be renting considering its right in the open

TheProvider
01-01-2012, 11:28 PM

Just realised this was my 500th post, woohoo good way to start the year

Looks like our old trapping cabing from back home in ontario without the extended porch and tin roof. Brings back alot of memories, specially getting woken up in the middle of the night by howling wolves

TheProvider
01-01-2012, 11:33 PM
You build a cabin on crown land it will get torched. @ Wayne I believe your allowed to camp for 20 days on crown land before you must move. I've never heard of ppl "renting" crown land. Best bet is trying to search high and low for an lil chunk of land. Wall tents are good specially if your hand with a chain saw. I've found old camps where ppl have used a chain saw and made benchs, chairs, table and a frame for a wall tent.

Iron Sighted
01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I know there are plenty of backcountry ski cabins around of dubious legality, no one seems to make much of an issue over them.

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 02:48 AM
this might answer some of your questions
Mike http://www.bcnorth.ca/magazine/pages/Jim/cabin/cabin1.htm

Mike that is a good link Thanks for posting this link up..

bowhunterbruce
01-02-2012, 07:02 AM
while i was guiding last season ,i was asked to try and find a cabin that both the ministry new about as well as the outfitter.after a couple other unsuccessful attemps by other guides and ministry workers,i was armed with my new gps with the bc backroads mapping chip in it and was told it was somewhere within a spicific lake.
aperently it was build by a trapper back in the 70's but was still being used.
well although it took a few hours of hiking over a few hundred deadfalls i eventually found it.logging the co-ords into my gps and taking a few pics ,then hiking back out along the trail that was being used to access it i was able to set some way points so the newer trailhead could be found at a later date.
the intent was so the ministry wouldn.t go and burn it down but so the outfitter could get a permit for it.
it appeared as though it was only being used by family of the former trapper and or thier friends. the trapping rights for that area showed that there was nothing registered in the way of a cabin so by putting a permit on it would allow it to stay right where it was.
what a beautiful re-treat though,outhouse,boat,fire pit,wood burning cook stove as well as a wood burning stove for heat.,cupboards,beds,foamy's,bedding in sealed tubs,dishs and even some bone decorations outside.
hell a person could almost live there year round.
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/DSCF0131.jpg

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 07:33 AM
while i was guiding last season ,i was asked to try and find a cabin that both the ministry new about as well as the outfitter.after a couple other unsuccessful attemps by other guides and ministry workers,i was armed with my new gps with the bc backroads mapping chip in it and was told it was somewhere within a spicific lake.
well although it took a few hours of hiking over a few hundred deadfalls i eventually found it.logging the co-ords into my gps and taking a few pics ,then hiking back out along the trail that was being used to access it i was able to set some way points so the newer trailhead could be found at a later date.
the intent was so the ministry would.t go and burn it down but so the outfitter could get a permit for it.
it appeared as though it was only being used by family of the former trapper and or thier friends. the trapping rights for that area showed that there was nothing registered in the way of a cabin so by putting a permit on it would allow it to stay right where it was.
what a beautiful re-treat though,outhouse,boat,fire pit,wood burning cook stove as well as a wood burning stove for heat.,cupboards,beds,foamy's,bedding in sealed tubs,dishs and even some bone decorations outside.

Bruce this is good that the guide outfitter will get a permit so it won't be burnt down it would be a shame if it was torched this cabin looks like the cabin in near redfern lake ???...

bowhunterbruce
01-02-2012, 08:47 AM
for obvious reasons wayne i can't say exactly where but it is way north of prince george and the lake isn't all that big either.barely on a map even.

savagecanuck
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I know of one recently constructed not too far from beaverdell.new construction with 2x4's and painted green to blend in.Its been up for 4-5 yrs and I am surprised its still there.I stayed in it 1 nite just after it was built but since then they have kept a lock on the door.You would have to be carefull burning it down not to catch the forest on fire.I check on it every year now just to see if its still there.Its not even that well hidden,right at the end of an old log cut kinda tucked around the corner

TheProvider
01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I've came across one that was demo'd. It was made with 2x4's and plywoods. I presume it was trouble makers as the owners had made a sign after it was demo'd stating "F#cking thieves clean this up" Just a guess someone went in stole everything then demo'd it. After all what are you going to report to the co's or police.... "someone broke into my "illegal" cabin, stole my stuff and demo'd it."

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
for obvious reasons wayne i can't say exactly where but it is way north of prince george and the lake isn't all that big either.barely on a map even.

I understand Bruce :)..

aggiehunter
01-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Just tell them your with a snowmobile club and then you can get a permit...it's called a survival shelter...you know...two stories...loft...bbq....solar lights...stereo system...bunkbeds...great view....and best of all...you can build it in pristine wilderness...

moosinaround
01-02-2012, 07:43 PM
If you build it.................................they will.....................................$hit just build it and don't tell anyone. I know of a few "rustic" cabins out there in the wilds. I dont say anything to folks about them, but they are there if I ever need to use them. As a matter of fact I stayed in one this past fall for a night, and it was awesome!! Respect it and it will stay put for all to use, emergency or pleasure use!! Moosin

wos
01-02-2012, 08:07 PM
There are so many legal back contry cabins already that are free for public use that you probably don't need to build an ilegal one. In fact there are two open door cabins within walking distance of my rec property and about 4 others that have reasonable to access that I can think of off the top of my head.

hellojello74
01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
an older thread on the topic? I wonder if this guy ever built it?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?48162-Question-on-building-a-cabin&highlight=cabin+building

MRP
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
the intent was so the ministry wouldn.t go and burn it down but so the outfitter could get a permit for it.

The steps, deck and the log outhouse needed a little work last time I wasthere. The boat is 50% silicone and still leaks a bit.

Gateholio
01-03-2012, 06:53 PM
It's possible to get a permit if you are a legitimate group. Our club was one of the sponsors to build a new cabin at Tenquille Lake, a popular destination. The whole community came out to help build the new cabin. It was great to see.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307242_273209889357305_139756616035967_1272403_498 5453_a.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tenquille-Lake-Cabin/139756616035967

Ruffed
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
I've been reading this thread with great interest. For the people that say everyone and his brother would build one, that couldn't be further from the truth. 99.9% of people would not put the time and $ required to build a cabin when they wouldn't have ownership of it. Rather than build a cabin, I suggest you build something like this. http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/Ruffed/?action=view&current=008.jpg
It took 2 guys 2 days to build the frame and another 2 days to put the plastic on it and build bunks. We have a wood stove in there,bunks, shelves, a wire rack above our heads to dry stuff out and keep the mice away. We've had it for 7 years and no signs yet and nobody has wrecked it. If someone were to wreck it, I would just build another one in a different location. We were fortunate when we built it that it happened to be well off the beaten path and well hidden. It's way easier than a wall tent. I've gotten up there at 9:30 at night, brought my stuff in, got the place all warmed up, gotten a good sleep and shot a deer in the morning.
If you want any specific pointers on how or where to build one just pm me or ask on this thread. I'm sort of considering one around Hope too but I would consider a teepee for that. Better at shedding snow and easier to build. For our cabin, we just put new plastic on every 2 years and put carpets down on the ground to keep the dust down. We drag some logs in at the end of every season, let them dry out over the summer and cut them up in the fall.

Ruffed

hunter1947
01-04-2012, 02:59 AM
I've been reading this thread with great interest. For the people that say everyone and his brother would build one, that couldn't be further from the truth. 99.9% of people would not put the time and $ required to build a cabin when they wouldn't have ownership of it. Rather than build a cabin, I suggest you build something like this. http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/Ruffed/?action=view&current=008.jpg
It took 2 guys 2 days to build the frame and another 2 days to put the plastic on it and build bunks. We have a wood stove in there,bunks, shelves, a wire rack above our heads to dry stuff out and keep the mice away. We've had it for 7 years and no signs yet and nobody has wrecked it. If someone were to wreck it, I would just build another one in a different location. We were fortunate when we built it that it happened to be well off the beaten path and well hidden. It's way easier than a wall tent. I've gotten up there at 9:30 at night, brought my stuff in, got the place all warmed up, gotten a good sleep and shot a deer in the morning.
If you want any specific pointers on how or where to build one just pm me or ask on this thread. I'm sort of considering one around Hope too but I would consider a teepee for that. Better at shedding snow and easier to build. For our cabin, we just put new plastic on every 2 years and put carpets down on the ground to keep the dust down. We drag some logs in at the end of every season, let them dry out over the summer and cut them up in the fall.

Ruffed

Now this is very good advice I like thanks for the picture cool..

swampdonkey
01-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Ruffed
used to be one of those up pike mtn near princeton till somebody burnt it down we used it for hunting and snowmobiling

woodsman
01-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Ruffed
The idea of a nice dry pre made cabin/structure sure if inviting especially when arriving when the weather is bad or late in the evening of a two week trip. As appealing as it may be, I think I am going to stick with my poor mans version of a wall tent....that being a modified costco tarp structure. If a permanent structure is built on crown land, anyone knowing the legalities could use it. I could think of nothing worse than arriving at that nice cabin I built to find it was occupied for the duration of my trip and I was not welcomed. That would be my luck! I guess I would still be able to stay in the back of my truck, since I probably didn't bring any other camp structure. I hate camping in the back of my truck!!

Vancouver1234
01-06-2012, 12:10 AM
What kind of plastic do you use around the framing that lasts 2 years?

Ruffed
01-06-2012, 08:01 AM
I use just regular construction grade 2 or 4 mil plastic. The reason it deteriorates is because of the sun. The more shade it has, the longer it will last. As you can see, we built in in the real tall skinny trees that are not likely to damage it if they fall on it. You have to build a steep enough roof to shed the snow. 3 of the corners were existing trees that we topped at the right height. You also want to put enough bracing (triangles) inside to give it the strength it needs. Also, it should be located out of the wind. Like in real estate, the key is Location, Location, Location.

Ruffed

Gilmore
01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I use just regular construction grade 2 or 4 mil plastic. The reason it deteriorates is because of the sun. The more shade it has, the longer it will last. As you can see, we built in in the real tall skinny trees that are not likely to damage it if they fall on it. You have to build a steep enough roof to shed the snow. 3 of the corners were existing trees that we topped at the right height. You also want to put enough bracing (triangles) inside to give it the strength it needs. Also, it should be located out of the wind. Like in real estate, the key is Location, Location, Location.

Ruffed

Next time try getting your poly from a greenhouse supply place. I have a 20x40 plastic covered greenhouse in direct sunlight and the poly is 6 years old. I'm using 2 layers of 7mil UV resistant poly and it looks like new. I believe you can get the clear all the way up to 12mil, probably twice the price but if its in the shade it would last a really long time.

CanuckShooter
01-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Ruffed

I found one hidden in the bush one time...it was similar to yours only they used white vinyl siding for the roof and walls[instead of plastic]....you'd get longer life, but less light inside.
One this year had plastic sheeting on the walls and coroplast panels on the roof [would be stronger]....

MRP
01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Next time try getting your poly from a greenhouse supply place. I have a 20x40 plastic covered greenhouse in direct sunlight and the poly is 6 years old. I'm using 2 layers of 7mil UV resistant poly and it looks like new. I believe you can get the clear all the way up to 12mil, probably twice the price but if its in the shade it would last a really long time.

I had the same polly on the greenhouse for 15 years and got it for free. Got it from the local tree nursery that recovers there green houses every year. Me thinks I’m going to get some more.

REMINGTON JIM
01-06-2012, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=Vancouver1234;1057457]What kind of plastic do you use around the framing that lasts 2 years?[/QUOTE

Still wanting to know WERE YOU READ YOU CAN BUILD A CABIN IN THE BC WILDERNESS ????? :confused: Did you forget a already ? :wink:

Darksith
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
its a great dream to have that little place somewhere special to go annually and hang your hat as you do what you love to do, but its simply that, a dream. I personally wouldn't waste my precious time, energy and money building something that can and will be snuffed out eventually. You are better off conditioning an area to accept a temporary structure. That being said always respect the wilderness and don't do anything too drastic or they might come looking for you still. If you were to say pile up some logs off the ground that could be setup as a frame annually to accept a tarp tent or canvas tent, that would be a much smarter, more efficient and almost guaranteed solution to your dream. Don't set yourself up to be completely disapointed, and possibly ruin a hunting trip when you return to your hard build cabin and find a pile of ashes. They will eventually burn it down, especially if someone else finds your cabin and leaves the area a mess. Its one thing to find an old cabin and have a smile on your face when you do, its another to come onto a cabin where people have not respected the area, left garbage and a mess, damaged the area around it and simply not respected the land. I guarantee that if any MOF or MOE person comes upon any such scene, even if it wasn't you that did it and was simply some A hole squatting it will get torched asap

Vancouver1234
01-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Remington jim, I had read online the information was ovbiously wrong after obtaining all this. Is that what you wanted to hear, you were right? You illiterate grumpy old man

thunderheart
01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Remington jim, I had read online the information was ovbiously wrong after obtaining all this. Is that what you wanted to hear, you were right? You illiterate grumpy old man

lol ... hey why rain on a mans dreams .. as all the posts and pix on the thread i ndicate .. lots of people simply just do it ...good luck Van1234

west250
01-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Building a cabin in the woods has always been a dream of mine as well (I'm sure pretty much every outdoorsman's dream), and have had the pleasure of visiting other cabins that I've 'found' while kicking around in the bush. Spent the night in a few and most were very rustic. There's something romantic about those primitive shelters.

I get a laugh from some of you guys touting the legalities of building a cabin in the bush like you've never bent a law in your life - funny... You know, if building a small hunt cabin in the woods is the worst thing a man does in his life he's better than most! For a bit of hardware and bag sweat a guy could live a little dream and not hurt a soul in doing so, sure the Queen might get pissed off, but it beats driving drunk or selling drugs on the streets for a start. We live in such a pussy whipped time, so what if a cabin appears in the woods - just remember the 'real laws' of the bush: Leave em unlocked and leave em the way you found them.... end rant...

CanuckShooter
01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Building a cabin in the woods has always been a dream of mine as well (I'm sure pretty much every outdoorsman's dream), and have had the pleasure of visiting other cabins that I've 'found' while kicking around in the bush. Spent the night in a few and most were very rustic. There's something romantic about those primitive shelters.

I get a laugh from some of you guys touting the legalities of building a cabin in the bush like you've never bent a law in your life - funny... You know, if building a small hunt cabin in the woods is the worst thing a man does in his life he's better than most! For a bit of hardware and bag sweat a guy could live a little dream and not hurt a soul in doing so, sure the Queen might get pissed off, but it beats driving drunk or selling drugs on the streets for a start. We live in such a pussy whipped time, so what if a cabin appears in the woods - just remember the 'real laws' of the bush: Leave em unlocked and leave em the way you found them.... end rant...

I totally agree with your outlook on the cabins......never cared much for the Queen anyways. ;-)

Darksith
01-07-2012, 02:59 PM

personally its not about the legality of it, its the fact that it could at any time be destroyed by our government employees who are just doing there job. I know of many cabins that have been torched. Im not saying don't do it b/c its illegal, Im saying why put in so much effort to simply have it taken away by the officials. Thats all, there are lots of ways to be comfy in the woods, you don't need a solid permanent roof over your head to accomplish that.

Ruffed
01-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Well put 250

REMINGTON JIM
01-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Im not really that grumpy - Honest LOL Thank you for the response that i asked for . Jim