PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day smoked goose breast

Marc
01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
My wife got me a bradley smoker for Christmas and I just put it to good use on some geese that we managed on Boxing day.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8410-2.JPG

The brine consisted of 1 liter of apple juice, cup of brown sugar, and a cup of pickling salt. Mix all together, place the plucked breast skin on into the brine and put back in the fridge for a couple of days swishing it around a bit a couple times per day to make sure every piece gets a good soaking.

The day of smoking I removed the goose breast from the brine and gave them a good rinsing in the sink and placed them on the smoker racks to drip any excess water off of them before they went into the smoker.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8413.JPG

I then preheated the smoker and then placed the racks with the goose breast back into the smoker with just heat on for an hour to get the breast to the point where they were sticky and no longer wet, I then turned on the smoke for another 4 hours.

After 4 hours in the smoker with Cherry wood pucks I placed the breast in the oven and had a meat thermometer in one of the breast and brought the heat up until it hit 160 F and shut it down.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8414.JPG

Once the breast cooled down I placed them into the refrigerator until the following day. Here is the results. Is it good? Well that breast in the picture doesn't exist anymore and I'm the only one home : D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8415.JPG

I vacuum sealed the remainder leaving out one more breast to enjoy and now will I have a winters supply until the Spring season rolls around again.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8417.JPG

nature girl
01-01-2012, 01:38 PM
That was a nice gift and the better bradley smoker.
That looks very good enjoy.

Marc
01-01-2012, 01:49 PM
If anyone is wondering why the puck hopper is rotated to the back on the smoker it's because Marshall was trying to eat the pucks through the groove.:mrgreen:

cariboo crawler
01-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Nice job!!!
Man those look good!!!
I'm going to have to get one of those and try your recipe. been on my wishlist for a while.

savage99f
01-01-2012, 02:19 PM
very nice looks so good :)

fearnodeer
01-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Okay I see that you made to much and are looking for a second opinion so pm me and i will forward you my address and i promise not to lie. Sure does look good.

aliagha
01-01-2012, 02:46 PM
looks great! congrats.

tomahawk
01-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Wow, looks great Marc. Love wild goose and done like that it must be awesome!

lorneparker1
01-01-2012, 03:04 PM
very nice work marc! havent seen the inside of a bradley smoker look like that ina many years! Nice and shiny hahah

Marc
01-01-2012, 03:06 PM
The first time I ever tried smoked goose was at a wild game banquet about 4 years ago and have been hooked on it ever since. All I can say is if you hunt geese you have to give it a try and you won't be sorry. It's very addictive and it's hard to stop eating it once you've started. That's another reason for freezing it so soon after making it.:mrgreen:

fowlweather
01-01-2012, 04:12 PM
The first time I ever tried smoked goose was at a wild game banquet about 4 years ago and have been hooked on it ever since. All I can say is if you hunt geese you have to give it a try and you won't be sorry. It's very addictive and it's hard to stop eating it once you've started. That's another reason for freezing it so soon after making it.:mrgreen:

was tanya the one who cooked for this banquet?

longshot
01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
YUUMM, those look sooo good! The geese are really tender this time of year aswell.. :D

Foxton Gundogs
01-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Smoked lots of goose. Try cranberry juice, Jack Daniels, brown sugar, pickle salt and a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon if you want something a little diffrent

spreerider
01-01-2012, 06:57 PM
very nice looking, i was just reading a recipe for smoked duck, i was going to brine them up today but last night got in the way and i forgot to take them out of the freezer.

SVIR-Symon
01-10-2012, 08:13 AM
If anyone is wondering why the puck hopper is rotated to the back on the smoker it's because Marshall was trying to eat the pucks through the groove.:mrgreen:
Maybe that raw meat diet does not have enough fiber?? haha

was tanya the one who cooked for this banquet?

I believe it was John that year...they were very good!

Lionhill
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Way late to this thread. Great recipe. Does it maintain more juice if you leave the skin and fat on? I usually skin out the breast.

Thanks

LH

spreerider
01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
the duck breast i did was jucier with the skin on but the skin itself was rubbery and would not crisp up at all, next time i would skin them all first,
i used most of the duck as sandwich meat and it was excellent, but if i was to just eat it on its own i would probably eat the ones that had skin as they were jucier.

Rodd
01-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Have tried Goose sausage, and it was delicious! Those look incredibly good Mark! Nice work, thanks for posting..