PDA

View Full Version : Leupold CDS scope reviews ?

swampthing
01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I am starting to look for a new scope for my sons new 708 ruger compact rifle. I am considering one of these leupolds with the "dial" on it. My concern about this scope is the repeatability of the dial. I have several VX111 scopes and the click adjustments dont always move the point of impact according to the adjustment done. It usually takes a lot of ammo to sight in my leupold equiped rifles because of this. Has anybody got any experience with these VX11 leupolds?

Marc
01-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm sure Mr Bartell will chime in but I think he was shooting his 260 Rem out to 500 and it was right on the money. I'd be more concerned of gathering the correct data to get the turret made. SG of the bullet, type, speed etc. The dials are custome made to the load.

I also own a CDS on my 6.5 Creedmoor but to be honest I haven't shot past 200 yards with it yet so I've had no need to use the dial, hoping to do so some ridge to ridge shooting this spring to see how it performs and possibly using this as a hunting technique on the 300-400 yard gaps.

KodiakHntr
01-01-2012, 03:09 PM
If you are having repeatability issues with your leupolds send them to Korth and have them fixed.

I find it curious that you have more than one that has the same issues.............

I don't personally use the cds, but I've got several leupolds with M1's and target turrets, and not one of them has repeatability issues.

yama49
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
My brother has one, on his 7mm.. Bang on out 500y..no issues with it so far, hes happy.

pg83
01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I've only used mine for three shots at 350 yards on the .300 Win mag. Seemed to be working pretty good, but not something I would trust on an animal until I have used it more.

todbartell
01-05-2012, 01:22 AM
used CDS a bit on a 260 and a 270. 500 yards with the 260 elevation was good with a custom dial, with the 270 we had the generic 130gr bt @ 3060 fps and ammo was 130gr nbt @ 3100 fps. At 600 yards it was a few inches off but that could be the dial specs not being right.

Good setup for most hunting applications and simple for a lot of guys who find ballistic reticles too cluttered and confusing

sakohunter
01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey,

When you sent your data in to Korth for them to build a dial, how much variation do they put on elevation and temperature? Everything else is quite easy to input, but elevation and temp can be quite varied. How has your accuracy been affected over varied elevation and temp ranges? I haven't sent my dial in to be calibrated yet because of these two factors, just using it like a regular scope so far.

Thanks