PDA

View Full Version : Bagged me a nice 6x7 Buck!!

joeD2J
10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Well I gotta say this was totally unexpected. After comtiplating whether to go out or not this weekend I came out of my hunt with a nice 6x7 mule deer buck. I'll have some pics posted as soon as they're ready.

MB_Boy
10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Joe.........you know the dam rules!! :wink: Delete this thread until you have those pics ready!! :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see em and don't forget a bit of a 'tale' of the deer......he sounds impressive.

Ozone
10-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I saw a 6x7 once.....in a magazine.

mainland hunter
10-04-2006, 02:48 PM
lookin forward to those pics, congrats

NEEHAMA
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Nope, No Such Thing

joeD2J
10-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Don't worry guys, I couldn't believe it myself. Pics are coming soon!!:lol:

Will
10-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Congrats 8)
Now lets have them Pics........or at least a Story :)

The Hermit
10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Geeesh I'm between contracts right now and have lots of time but no truck to go hunting with and your *******s (I mean that in the nicest way possible) are getting me jealous as can be with all these success stories!!! :-)

Well done!

joeD2J
10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Okay guys the pics have to wait until after this weekend, going on another muly hunt...:twisted:...but for the mean time here's my story....

After much contemplating throughout the week and previous unsuccessful 4 point hunts, I decided to head out to the bush with a buddy on Saturday afternoon to catch opening day of any buck hunting on Sunday. We arived at about 4pm and since some of our buddies were already camped in the area we agreed to do a bit of road hunting that evening, maybe running into and camping up with them. That evening ended with only a few doe sightings :cry: and eventually we found the guys. Upon arriving at camp my older bro comes running over excitedly telling me that he had bagged a nice 4x4 that morning. Just what I needed to hear after seeing nothing but doe..( I was really happy for him though) After having a good look at his buck I became even more determined. That night I barely slept, I think you all know how that feels.
The next morning my buddy and I were up at about 4am and started up the mountain towards a clear cut where we had spotted two two pointers the previous week. It was about 5am when we got close so we parked the car and waited for daylight......5am...5:15am...5:30am..and so on until about 6:45am until finally daylight!! Unfortunately with the daylight also came the hunting pressure. We began driving and got not more then 2km when a group of hunters on atv's blew by ahead of us.
Frustrated at the amount of hunting pressure on the roads I had my buddy drop me off at the bottom of our destined clear cut and I headed out on foot. My plan was to hike up to the peak of the the mountain above the clear where last week I had seen many fresh tracks and droppings to have a look around.
Not 15 mins into my hike I came across a group of about 6 doe which bolted up into the tree line. Curious as to whether there might be a buck hanging around with them I decided to round the mountain top and maybe meet them on the other side to get a better look.
I finally reached the other side at about 8:56am and still not a sight of any deer. At this point I was about 2 hours into my hike and disappointed that I was going to be coming away from yet another unsuccessfull hunt. Thats when i turned and noticed another clear cut throught the trees ahead so I headed to check it out. As I approached the edge of the (aprox. 30 degree) sloped clear cut, I stopped and glassed toward the top and then down toward the bottom..nothing in sight. In the upper middle of the clear cut there was a low rising rocky peak which was blocking my view of the bottom right portion of the clear cut. As curiosity got the best of me I headed over to it so that I could get a good panoramic view.
Not one minute after I set foot on the peak did a bedded deer pop up to my left about 150 yards away and hop toward the tree line. I was just preparing to glass the area when off to my right at about 198 yrds (ranged afterwards) I see another deer spring up. Now this one had a nice rack that I could clearly see from this distance just waiving in the air as it moved!! At this I sat right down and shouldered my Browning A-bolt 7mm WSM and put the beast into my scope....large muly 4 pointer!!! Now since the buck was quarting away to the right I placed my cross hairs just behind it's front pits and let loose a 160gr Nosler Accubond round!!!.....not even a flinch from the buck..how could I have missed??? Luckily still wondering where my shot came from the buck didn't move an inch. I worked my bolt and loaded another round into the chamber. Since I was shooting down at quite an angle I lowered my crosshairs just a touch and let loose another round!!!
This time the bullet entered through the right side just behind his shoulder and shattered his left shoulder blade leaving him in a slow but steady limp toward a steep embankment at the bottom of the clear cut! Not wanting him to have gone and died down there since this was going to be a tough enough pack as it was..distance wise, plus the 30 degree climb back up, I let another shot go, this time sending the beast toppling legs in the air!!
Filled with adreneline and over-excitement, I raced down to claim my prize!!:lol: But as I approached him, I noticed something was different about his antlers..what I thought was a 4x4 rack was actually a 6x7!!!!!! I guess all the adreneline caused me to only see 4x4!!
Yesssss!!!!!! I yelled. I had bagged me a nice 6x7 monster of a buck!!! After packing him out, we packed up camp and I was headed home happy and overly satisfied.:lol: Thanks for reading everyone, best of luck to you all and I can't wait to here all your stories!!

Hank Hunter
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
NICE STORY, But where are the pics

joeD2J
10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Sorry they're on my pop's cam right now, I won't get to upload them until after this coming weekend's hunt.

Elkaholic
10-05-2006, 08:58 AM
This thread without pics doesnt deliver :) lol

Elkhound
10-05-2006, 12:29 PM
See what happens when you get off a road and no pressure.

By the way I have locked this thread due to no pics

Just kidding:lol: But I can't wait. I leave on sunday so I will have to wait even longer

joeD2J
10-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Okay guys, here's a couple of pics. I tried to get as many angles as possible. Sorry if the picture qualilty is a bit shady.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_0011.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3285&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3283&size=big&limit=recent
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3282&limit=recent

mainland hunter
10-07-2006, 12:47 PM
thats a beauty, way to go

rollingrock
10-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey Joe, nice buck! Just wondering which region did you hunt? :)

Jelvis
10-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Joe D Nice oooonnnne Must be a swelling in the neck and is that green bark on his browtines. There workin out for the big dance, nice buck. Jelly Roll 100706

Will
10-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Great looking Buck.....like the Lil cheaters8-)
Congrats again....& Thanks for the Look:)

joeD2J
10-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey Joe, nice buck! Just wondering which region did you hunt? :)

8-05, east side Tulimeen

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Great buck Joe,congrats...8-)

Steeleco
10-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Nice going Joe. Nice buck.

I tried to post your pictures rather than the link but to no avail!!

Hank Hunter
10-07-2006, 08:14 PM
very nice buck

john-brennan
10-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice for sure, gets me pumped for my muley hunt.

browningboy
10-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Way to go, it's a beauty!