PDA

View Full Version : Why weren't Bow Hunters allowed at shot at this?

Moose63
12-31-2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Venison+from+cull+will+food+bank/5933309/story.html

I see this coming in a lot of communities.

Maybe a LEH bow draw in cities?

TESKELLY
12-31-2011, 10:50 PM
I have always wondered how the deer caught and killed by these contractor for these culls? Rifle, Arrow, Trap?

TheProvider
12-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Maybe in the future, quite popular in the states

Fisher-Dude
12-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Hunters I have spoken with want absolutely no part in bow hunting urban deer. Images of deer bolting through yards with arrows in them does not sit well with many people, and I think the "cull" in a business-like fashion is better than "hunting" them in this instance. We need to keep a good profile with the non-hunting public, and it was agreed on by our region that we didn't want to participate in urban deer culls.

lorneparker1
12-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Hunters I have spoken with want absolutely no part in bow hunting urban deer. Images of deer bolting through yards with arrows in them does not sit well with many people, and I think the "cull" in a business-like fashion is better than "hunting" them in this instance. We need to keep a good profile with the non-hunting public, and it was agreed on by our region that we didn't want to participate in urban deer culls.

agreed!

Lorne

01-01-2012, 12:20 AM
I have always wondered how the deer caught and killed by these contractor for these culls? Rifle, Arrow, Trap?

The deer are killed with a bolt gun exactly like the ones used in slaughter houses: http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NWS001&Product_Code=35-310&Category_Code=NWS0120

A bow hunt was discussed but there were no landowners that would allow it.

J_T
01-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Bowhunters were involved in this discussion. For some time "they" did want to use hunters as the cost of trapping was to high. (why pay for something when you might be able to get it for free). It is the hunters image that is or would be at risk and not all municipal administrators are wise in understanding a hunt and more importantly a kill.

The discussion included both shotgun use and bow. In a very controlled environment under very clear terms. Managing liability of negative exposure would be everything. Getting a free range hunter to want to take a chance and cut one of only two tags in what is little more than a highly visible canned hunt was also going to be difficult. Most hunters want to hunt. Not just kill.

I believe for the removal of deer in town. This is the right process. But a question might be....once removed can innovative hunting opportunities of the interface areas surrounding towns keep urban deer numbers down?

Buck
01-01-2012, 09:56 AM

I agree as well.

Moose63
01-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Maybe in the future, quite popular in the states

If it works in the states, why not here? Are they having problems that are suggested in this thread?

greybark
01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey Moose63 , This is NOT a hunt but a cull .
Cheers

greybark
01-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Hey F-D I agree with your post with the exception of the arrow thingy . Sorry for not rising to the bait!!!! Happy New Year .

Bow Walker
01-01-2012, 12:31 PM
You're right - it is a "cull" not a "hunt". It has to be done quickly, quietly, and with minimum fuss to the "landowners" involved.

I only wish that Victoria, and surrounding communities, would take similar action to control the Urban Herd. I've been barking about this for years...

killman
01-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Could you imagine all the overnight archer's out there running around shooting shit............Remember all hunters are not saints like us on HBC.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cci56sox_tc/TiQ67SABg6I/AAAAAAAACgI/MWp8Z3jTsvM/s400/108840_anak-panah-menancap-di-kepala-seekor-kucing.jpg

Ambush
01-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Just another example of why head shots are bad. Should have been a dead cat.
Killman. I got all your arrows refletched for you with the new colour. I know you were in a hurry.:mrgreen:

Could you imagine all the overnight archer's out there running around shooting shit............Remember all hunters are not saints like us on HBC.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cci56sox_tc/TiQ67SABg6I/AAAAAAAACgI/MWp8Z3jTsvM/s400/108840_anak-panah-menancap-di-kepala-seekor-kucing.jpg

cariboo crawler
01-01-2012, 01:39 PM
So , after all the chatter , what is the method being used? If its this bolt gun ,how in hell do you get close enough to a live mule deer to use that thing. even in a net you wouldn't catch me within kickin' distance!!

spear
01-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Im not a bow hunter yet but I would agree with this 100%
I can't believe I actually agree completely with Fisher Dude!?!?!

The Hermit
01-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Bowhunters were involved in this discussion. For some time "they" did want to use hunters as the cost of trapping was to high. (why pay for something when you might be able to get it for free). It is the hunters image that is or would be at risk and not all municipal administrators are wise in understanding a hunt and more importantly a kill.

The discussion included both shotgun use and bow. In a very controlled environment under very clear terms. Managing liability of negative exposure would be everything. Getting a free range hunter to want to take a chance and cut one of only two tags in what is little more than a highly visible canned hunt was also going to be difficult. Most hunters want to hunt. Not just kill.

I believe for the removal of deer in town. This is the right process. But a question might be....once removed can innovative hunting opportunities of the interface areas surrounding towns keep urban deer numbers down?

Bingo! The goal of expanding bowhunting opportunity, where and when it won't take anything away from the GOS, and in places where a true "hunt" can take place in a safe environment with minimal negative social impacts, is laudable. I believe this is the direction in which the United Bowhunter's of BC (UBBC) and the BCWF are both walking the same trail.

Now that the UBBC has a seat at the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team to speak to bowhunting issues and opportunities, we look forward to bringing the Ministry on board this year. We are getting close to realizing the long awaited Bowhunting Policy that will inform these decisions on a Provincial basis and allow for regional implementation. There is still lots of work to be done to fine tune the policy, and hopefully have the BCWF pass a new more inclusive resolution on special weapons but progress is being made. Stay tuned.

Bill Tozer
President, UBBC

Jagermeister
01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Hunters I have spoken with want absolutely no part in bow hunting urban deer. Images of deer bolting through yards with arrows in them does not sit well with many people, and I think the "cull" in a business-like fashion is better than "hunting" them in this instance. We need to keep a good profile with the non-hunting public, and it was agreed on by our region that we didn't want to participate in urban deer culls.Sound judgement.

01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
So , after all the chatter , what is the method being used? If its this bolt gun ,how in hell do you get close enough to a live mule deer to use that thing. even in a net you wouldn't catch me within kickin' distance!!

They use what are called clover traps. The deer enter the traps to get the bait and the trap closes behind it. When the contractor arrives on the scene the trap can be collapsed (similar to a cattle squeeze) around the deer effectivelly immobilizing him allowing the bolt gun to be used.

cut and paste:
Clover Traps:
These traps are named after the man who designed them, and not because they look like a clover. Clover traps consist of a metal frame covered in heavy nylon meshing, with a sliding mesh door at one end (Figure 1). The bait is placed at the back of the trap, and a trip line run through the hay and up to a snap trap. The snap trap holds the door open by trapping the door rope. When the deer makes contact with the fishing line, the snap trap releases the door rope and the door closes, trapping the deer inside. These traps are the most common method of catching deer and are our most effective method of ground capture.
http://ursus.biology.ualberta.ca/Web_photos/Telem_Fig1.jpg

beeugle
01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
They use what are called clover traps. The deer enter the traps to get the bait and the trap closes behind it. When the contractor arrives on the scene the trap can be collapsed (similar to a cattle squeeze) around the deer effectivelly immobilizing him allowing the bolt gun to be used.

cut and paste:
Clover Traps:
These traps are named after the man who designed them, and not because they look like a clover. Clover traps consist of a metal frame covered in heavy nylon meshing, with a sliding mesh door at one end (Figure 1). The bait is placed at the back of the trap, and a trip line run through the hay and up to a snap trap. The snap trap holds the door open by trapping the door rope. When the deer makes contact with the fishing line, the snap trap releases the door rope and the door closes, trapping the deer inside. These traps are the most common method of catching deer and are our most effective method of ground capture.
http://ursus.biology.ualberta.ca/Web_photos/Telem_Fig1.jpg yup this is what is being used in the kootenays....... they took approximatley 20-25 from cranbrook this way, and apparently are going to take 100 or so in kimberley....and who got the meat?? some...... an unspecified amount to the food bank, the majority..to the first nations people................

killman
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Just another example of why head shots are bad. Should have been a dead cat.
Killman. I got all your arrows refletched for you with the new colour. I know you were in a hurry.:mrgreen:

Thanks.. All Different nothing matching, right?