PDA

View Full Version : Elk Guide

bearhunter338-06
12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
OK with out getting into a pissing match on illegal guiding I know the regulations.

So do to recent health issues I have come up with my hunting bucket list :mrgreen:. I want to cross a few things off the list. The first off the list is an elk hunt on horse back. This is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or put me in contact with anyone I would be very grateful.

Thank You
Happy new year

bozzdrywall
12-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Best to call an GO. If I had a horse I would take you but my two legs are all I got.

john g
12-31-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd recommend you talk to Barry Tomkins of Big Nine. He has a great area in the Muskwa-Kechika with lots of animals, good guides, and he has special rates for residents, which many other guide-outfitters don't offer. You'll have a good hunt in some spectacular country, and get all the horseback riding your a$$ can handle.

Fisher-Dude
12-31-2011, 03:40 PM
I'd recommend Dave Beranek of Packhorse Creek Outfitters in the Flathead.

Devilbear
12-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Pat, have you actually hunted with Beranek's outfit? I know the Flathead fairly well as I did some time in the bush there in '65, '67 (three months on Natal L/O, NO breaks and water, wood, fuel and grub packed to the L/O on my back lashed to a Trapper Nelson No 3. I also super'ed a reforestation project there jut over 30 years ago and have been back to hunt a couple of times since. The FH should NEVER be open to anything other than hunting, fishing, nature study and hiking-climbing and be a "hippy-free" area!

I am probably gonna start going guided as packing an Elk at 65 is not as easy as it was and I prefer to hunt wilderness with a backpack and horses, So, what was it like?

Devilbear
12-31-2011, 04:16 PM
I have been with Thompkins and he has quite the outfit, as I PMed, Stone Mountain and Larry Warren's Tuchodi Outfitters are VERY sound options and probably these three would afford you the best chance of shooting an Elk. The terrain is easier than the Kootenays, as well.

I might well be looking for a companion for two weeks in the West Kootenays this year for Elk, but, it is VERY tough hunting and the success rate is not what the Muskwa offers. That said, IF you can backpack and siwash in mountain tents for a fortnight, the chance at a REAL hawg is there and I know where they hang out. My brother and cousin have shot some monsters and there are more there now than ever in my experience.

Fisher-Dude
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Nope, haven't hunted with Dave, but know him and he's a nice guy. His outfit is in God's Country, and that's what would make the hunt for me.

Maybe kill success is higher elsewhere, but it depends what "success" is for the individual.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey Bozz I will second the vote for Packhorse. they are good people and will accomodate your needs. Mickey

rocksteady
01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
As long as there is no "financial compensation", it is not illegal guiding....

A fine line in some peoples eyes...especially on this site :)

01-02-2012, 09:04 AM
You could also go with a transport service like Steamboat Mountain Outfitters. They use horses, and can get you into some spectacular elk country with little to no hunting pressure, and at a very affordable rate. Not a guided hunt, but a good option.