PDA

View Full Version : pork leg sale

quadrakid
12-30-2011, 07:17 PM
I see one of our major grocery stores has pork legs for a buck a pound. I want to try some sausage making and am wondering if this is a good price.

ncurrie
12-30-2011, 07:21 PM
yes that is a good price

ROEBUCK
12-30-2011, 07:23 PM
sure is a good price !

Fido
12-30-2011, 07:31 PM
what store

one-shot-wonder
12-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Usually this time of year Save off has pork shoulders for .99/lb which is a good price. We tend to wait til January to make sausage for this reason.

heyblast
12-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Wish I'd known that this morning, got pork at the stupid store to make sausages out some ducks and geese. Cost more than that. I hope you have better luck stuffing the casings than I did.

cdub
12-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I was looking this morning in the flyers but i didnt see any. Which store was it?

quadrakid
12-31-2011, 06:46 AM
I don,t think i,m supposed to name the store,if you bought this pork you would be acting Thrifty.

Geo.338
12-31-2011, 07:10 AM
My favourite time of year pork leg sale season .Better than boxing day !

labrador
12-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I just phoned that store and they don't have any on sale. I wanna be thrifty but looks loke I am out of luck.

mikemcd
12-31-2011, 10:50 AM
OK at least give enough inormation to find the store, if not the name. I bought just pork fat this week to add to some game for that price.
Thanks

r106
12-31-2011, 10:56 AM
why can't you say thriffty foods?? Is that the store your talking about??

cdub
12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
I looked in the flyer and it wasnt advertised. I will stop in today and check as we buy about 25-30lb at a time as it takes some time to debone and trim fat. In the end the meat is good for stews and ground or the main reason sausage.We usually gety about 125lbs and vacuum pack for the year. Too bad i made 50lbs of sausage the other day and we ran out of pork. Next week will be the smoke sausage so we should be good to go.

bighornbob
12-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Save-on-foods usually has them on sale at this of year. Coopers also has them on sale at the same time. Have not seen a flyer so I am not sure if it is these stores.

They usually go on sale the first week of January. I buy enough that I have some for sausage, some plain ground pork to add to game burger, some finer cuts are left for stir fry etc.

Bhb

Steeleco
12-31-2011, 11:59 AM
why can't you say thriffty foods?? Is that the store your talking about??

Generally it's to do with the "advertising" rules Marc set out for us. I think this topic is OK, but the Admin will have to decide.
That said, I was shown to use regular ground beef and like the end product much better, plus it's usually cheaper!!

labrador
12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
I bought some last year but I found out that I will be throwing a lot like bone, skin and a lot of fat.

nano
12-31-2011, 02:54 PM
This will be my second year buying legs from the sale. With the legs we make prosciutto, salami, and sausage. The prices are pretty reasonable and I like the quality, the key is to be at the store when its opens and they will let you snoop around.

cdub
12-31-2011, 03:40 PM
I was at Thriftys and the sale starts Monday.

tomahawk
12-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Generally it's to do with the "advertising" rules Marc set out for us. I think this topic is OK, but the Admin will have to decide.
That said, I was shown to use regular ground beef and like the end product much better, plus it's usually cheaper!!

It all depends on what sausage your trying to make, definetly beef has its place but so does pork in many sausages too. Changes the flavour immensely with which one you use though! Hard to get beef cheaper then a buck a pound for a whole butt!

burger
12-31-2011, 04:56 PM
This will be my second year buying legs from the sale. With the legs we make prosciutto, salami, and sausage. The prices are pretty reasonable and I like the quality, the key is to be at the store when its opens and they will let you snoop around.

Ive always wanted to make prosciutto but had no clue. How do you do it, or anyone for that matter.

nano
12-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Its very hard to explain it with out showing you but the way I have been taught is just with salt, a proper place to hang it and time.

burger
12-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Its very hard to explain it with out showing you but the way I have been taught is just with salt, a proper place to hang it and time.

How do you maintain a cool room when your hanging it? As the temp will rise as the months pass 7-8 months as I have read

nano
12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Nope got a full basement wine cellar that has two windows that help air move. Stays cold from jan till april and cool throughtout the summer.

Steeleco
12-31-2011, 05:31 PM
How do you maintain a cool room when your hanging it? As the temp will rise as the months pass 7-8 months as I have read

Get yourself a freebie beer fridge off of craigslits and you'll have all the cool you need!!! Or convert a freezer as I did for hanging game. It's a little on the large size, but it depends on how much you plan on doing?

labrador
12-31-2011, 05:37 PM
This summer I built a wine cellar in my garage. 8X10 and I insulated the walls and door. I install 2 exhaust one on the side of my garage door and on the bottom and one on the other side on top for air circulation. The temperature is maintained and I age my wine there on big carbouy. I also hang my sausage there when I am drying them. It is easy to build in the garage.

nano
12-31-2011, 11:02 PM
This summer I built a wine cellar in my garage. 8X10 and I insulated the walls and door. I install 2 exhaust one on the side of my garage door and on the bottom and one on the other side on top for air circulation. The temperature is maintained and I age my wine there on big carbouy. I also hang my sausage there when I am drying them. It is easy to build in the garage.

Thing we got with ours, works like a charm!