PDA

View Full Version : Legalities regarding dead wildlife...

tash
12-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Okay, I'll bite...

So what are the regulations for wildlife parts I find in the bush?

I understand that I can keep sheds, but was unaware that sheep horns are a no-no until this afternoon's thread...

What else can't I keep?

pronghorn
12-29-2011, 07:35 PM
I know that any fur bearing animal or birds that they can get 200.00 at the auction forget about a permit for them as for sheep.

Jelvis
12-29-2011, 07:35 PM
If you find dead predator birds you will need the OK from the authorities namely, BC MOE.

elkdom
12-29-2011, 07:52 PM
wildlife or parts thereof can only be legally in your possession if the wildlife was taken with a hunting license/species tag in a lawful hunting season,

found wildlife requires a possession permit" and that MAY BE or MAY NOT BE issued at the DISCRETION of the department that asumes authority of said dead wildlife, be that either Provincial or Federal Jurisdiction

very often it is Finders Weepers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NOT Finders Keepers,,,,,,,,

Drillbit
12-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Can't keep what you advertise.

Steeleco
12-29-2011, 08:24 PM
This is the list I was given a few years back, it will give you and idea as to what you can have and what you can't. It may have changed in dollar value in the mean time, but you get the idea!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_1476.jpg

coach
12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Can anyone explain the logic of this law? I think it's fairly clear that we don't want people intentionally using their vehicles to kill wildlife so they can keep a "trophy", nor do we want anyone killing birds of prey or animals out of season. Beyond that - in the case of a sheep found in a remote location that clearly died of natural causes - what's the big deal?

Jelvis
12-29-2011, 08:39 PM
The bid deal is the full curled ram head and it would belong to Crown. Until Crown actually sees it and judges it, if it is a full curl and better chances are nil that you could keep it. They would ask where exactly did you find this specimen? Any GPS on it by any chance?
Then you spew the beans and get a hand shake and a have a nice day.
J-btw-ok?

Matty_ola
12-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Fees for the folllowing wildlife or ANY part of wildlife
Deer - $31

So I found 10 deer sheds last season so I owe the crown.... $310.00?
If this is correct I assume every other hunter on this forum owes as much or more???

Matty_ola
12-29-2011, 08:48 PM
The bid deal is the full curled ram head and it would belong to Crown. Until Crown actually sees it and judges it, if it is a full curl and better chances are nil that you could keep it. They would ask where exactly did you find this specimen? Any GPS on it by any chance?
Then you spew the beans and get a hand shake and a have a nice day.
J-btw-ok?

Well the crown can put on her hiking boots and go get it, and I'm not giving any hints either. That is if I knew anything about what you're talking about, of course.

Bighorn hunter
12-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Sheds are exempt as the animal is still alive

SimilkameenSlayer
12-29-2011, 08:56 PM
it's the law, but it doesn't exactly leave me with the "warm and fuzzes".

Matty_ola
12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Sheds are exempt as the animal is still alive

Is that fact? Anything to support your claim. I'm not being a smartass, The paper plainly says any part of wildlife, not any part of deceased wildlife.

BillBraskii
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Is that fact? Anything to support your claim. I'm not being a smartass, The paper plainly says any part of wildlife, not any part of deceased wildlife.
for ungulates its the hide and cape.
sheds are exempt.

tash
12-29-2011, 09:25 PM
So one could keep a deer skull with antlers attached?

Or a black bear/wolf/coyote skull?

Jelvis
12-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Deer skull that is old and the skull and antlers are all grey or white, you could keep. But if it's hunting season or just after or b4, and you find a dead deer which happens to be a 30 inch non-typ muley. I would be totally honest unless you have a valid tag and it's in season you could cancel your tag on it. If it's a valid tag for the buck and it's still in season.
Out of season if you found it, then it would be your call as to what the best thing to do about it?
It's all about a choice, you need to process in your mind and heart, then make a choice(decide)and go with the flow.
Jel .. The ballz in your court .. and maybe you too lol.

pro 111
12-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I think its a good Idea that things like sheep have to be submitted to the crown if you find them. To many sloppy hunters out there that would shoot a couple rams and pic up the smaller one the next year , saying they found it. Not being able to keep them discourages this. Just my 2c.

Big Lew
12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Have those basic rules and laws been in effect for 30 years and earlier? I ask because during that time, there were many, including me, that were not aware of them.
I found a extraordinarily large mature male beaver dead on the highway in Whonnock 30-32 years ago. It had been dead for only a short time and in remarkably good shape, so I took it to a friend that was a teacher of Zoology and Biology, and a very good taxidermist. He did an excellent job of it, and presented it as a gift to U.B.C., his former school.
No one involved, including the U.B.C. faculty and Dean were aware of, or made application for a permit, and unless time deterioriated it's condition, it could still be there to-day.

tash
All of the deer skulls I've come across have been obviously at least a couple of years old...

So for another question....I came across a roadkilled bull elk a while back and the antlers had been sawn off. Legal or not?
My gut said no.

Matty_ola
Deer skull that is old and the skull and antlers are all grey or white, you could keep. But if it's hunting season or just after or b4, and you find a dead deer which happens to be a 30 inch non-typ muley. I would be totally honest unless you have a valid tag and it's in season you could cancel your tag on it. If it's a valid tag for the buck and it's still in season.
Out of season if you found it, then it would be your call as to what the best thing to do about it?
It's all about a choice, you need to process in your mind and heart, then make a choice(decide)and go with the flow.
Jel .. The ballz in your court .. and maybe you too lol.

So depending on the time of year and the way it looks will determine if you take it home or not??? That's just the same as making up rules as you go.

Here are the rules plain and simple.

A permit is not required to possess cast antlers, most bird feathers, processed game meat or lawfully owned wildlife.

SO ANY PART OF AN ANIMAL THAT IS NOT A CAST ANTLER REQUIRES A PERMIT, I wonder how many of us have those???

Also:
When Do I Need a Permit?

Under the new Permit Regulation, two basic types of permits may be granted. You can obtain permits that authorize you to conduct specific activities, or that exempt you from having to comply with certain regulations. Most permits apply for limited periods of time--usually not more than 5 years.

You will need an authorization permit to engage in any of the following activities:

possessing dead wildlife or wildlife parts
capturing, possessing or importing live wildlife
trafficking in live wildlife, or dead wildlife which you do not lawfully own
rehabilitating injured wildlife
transporting or exporting wildlife or parts
trapping, hunting or killing wildlife for any of the following reasons: crop protection, population control, scientific research, public safety, or ceremonial, educational or humane purposes.
hunting for big game with a non-resident of B.C.
possessing or distributing game meat for sustenance (e.g. food bank)
conducting field dog trials
operating a zoo or commercial hunting club
Under certain conditions, you may also obtain a permit that allows you to engage in activities like the following:

destroying beaver dams or muskrat dens
operating a vehicle in an area that's closed under the Wildlife Act
destroying particular types of bird nests or eggs
carrying a firearm, as a minor without adult supervision, to practice competitive shooting
discharging firearms in a no-shooting or restricted area, or from a vehicle or powerboat
If you are not sure whether or not you need a permit, contact your local regional Fish and Wildlife manager for more information.

coach
12-29-2011, 09:39 PM
I think its a good Idea that things like sheep have to be submitted to the crown if you find them. To many sloppy hunters out there that would shoot a couple rams and pic up the smaller one the next year , saying they found it. Not being able to keep them discourages this. Just my 2c.

Really??????

Fisher-Dude
12-29-2011, 09:43 PM
All of the deer skulls I've come across have been obviously at least a couple of years old...

So for another question....I came across a roadkilled bull elk a while back and the antlers had been sawn off. Legal or not?
My gut said no.

Yer gut's right.

Jelvis
12-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I hear yah pro, it's happened before with animals exactly like your saying. Some poacher blasts an animal, leaves comes back and claims it at a later date, makes a real hunter sick in his or her stomach hearing this abuse happening in our hunting areas. They come out after we leave the bush at the end of the hunting day and the poachers driving in.
Jel .. Be safe and play by the regulations and obey the BC Wild Life Act at all times with good intentions .. Amen!

Steeleco
12-29-2011, 10:29 PM
But if it's hunting season or just after or b4, and you find a dead deer which happens to be a 30 inch non-typ muley. I would be totally honest unless you have a valid tag and it's in season you could cancel your tag on it. If it's a valid tag for the buck and it's still in season.

I'd have to say this maybe poor advice Jelly!! If you found a dead animal and just took the rack, even in hunting season, you run the risk of getting stopped in a game cheque. So when the CO asks you "where's the meat" whats your answer!! Just thinkin outloud!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jelvis
12-29-2011, 10:44 PM
You say what happened, be honest, show your cancelled tag, it's in season and offer to take the curios Conservation officer to the exact spot where you done did find it. Now the ballz in the fine officers court. If the Lady Officer says let's go, I'll lead her by the hand to the exact spot. Now she sees first hand what this handsome hunter was saying, asks me to get in the photo of the ground area where the rotting carcass of the record non-typical mule deer buck was located, took multitudes of pictures with me in them all. Anyways she told me I was going to be given a blue ribbon award for working so closely with the enforcement team. Also a gift certificate for two at Kelly O'Briens in Kamloops.
Jel .. Confession is good for the soul and honesty is the best policy .. excuse me for a couple hours some ones at the door.

hunter1947
12-30-2011, 04:22 AM
The bottom line is the crown almost owns everything except an animal shot with a valid tag holder ...

hunter1947
12-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Why the wildlife branch put this rule in place if not a cast antler is to stop pouching ,example if I shot a mule deer in one region that only allows you the one mule deer for that GOS and then I am hunting for elk ,WT deer or other in the same region..

Example I see in the same region where I shot my mule deer earlier on I see a huge trophy buck I shoot it without a tag then come back in a few months and take the antlers I say I found these antlers in the bush ,this is why you have to report attached antlers on a skull that are fresh.

I have to agree with jel about if you come across a older kill where the animal is decomposed or partly you have a tag for this mule deer ,elk ,WT as long as they are legal antler growth you cancel your tag for this species if the antlers are not legal then report to the CO ,old antlers on the skull I would say its a grey area should you pick them up and if so do you report them to the wildlife branch ???..

BiG Boar
12-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Would you really not expect the government to tax you on everything they could?

RAMIFICATION
12-30-2011, 09:09 AM
if the average price at auction is 400$ or greater,the crown keeps it,period.All sheds from a park stay in the park.

Fisher-Dude
12-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Totally illegal and you would be charged. That would be good for 3 or 4 different offences under the Wildlife Act.

Rock Doctor
12-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I have a Full Curl Stone Sheep Skull that I cut off a half rotten, half Freeze Dryed Carcass, packed off a Mtn, took it in and got a permit. No Problem.
I have a Snowy Owl that I found, took it in and got a permit. No Problem.
I have a Boreal Owl that I found, took it in and got a permit. No problem.

All were in perfect condition (Other than being DEAD), No hassels, No conspiracies, No advance notice to the CO's.

Just my personal experience

RD

steel_ram
12-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Not too hard to find that 400+" elk rack in the lake when your the one that put it there.

Bighorn hunter
12-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I have a Full Curl Stone Sheep Skull that I cut off a half rotten, half Freeze Dryed Carcass, packed off a Mtn, took it in and got a permit. No Problem.
I have a Snowy Owl that I found, took it in and got a permit. No Problem.
I have a Boreal Owl that I found, took it in and got a permit. No problem.

All were in perfect condition (Other than being DEAD), No hassels, No conspiracies, No advance notice to the CO's.

Just my personal experience

RD

How recent were these permits issued? I know in the past it was not a problem to get the permits but as of late anything over 200 dollars(or around that value) is taken and put into the auction.

hunter1947
12-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Totally illegal and you would be charged. That would be good for 3 or 4 different offences under the Wildlife Act.

Pat show me some Prof that it is illegal you can't clip your tag if you come across a recent dead animal that is legal to shoot in a region you are hunting ..

bear buster
12-31-2011, 08:11 AM
I know driving tow truck up here we see alot of animals that are packing gear I would like to grab, most of the time by the time we move veihcle from scene, and even atempt to phone for a permit you go back to a headless animal, or somebody has just cut the antlers off. if its anything big your going to have a hell of a time getting a permit, I have tried lots. If its in the bush just snap a pick and put it back. Not saying while shed hunting a few winter kills have not made there way back to my yard. Whats the big deal if its old and all white, I can see if its fresh and it perfect shape then there would be an issue. Take some pics of how you found it, when you get back call the co`s show them pics and ya just never know. I know when i drove tow truck in alberta permits were $10, had lilttle to know issues.

coach
12-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Does the money from the auction go back into the resource?

SHAKER
12-31-2011, 09:41 AM
I know when i drove tow truck in alberta permits were $10, had lilttle to know issues.

I read the whole thread and was going to comment on the same type of thing... I was talk'n to a taxidermist in Edmonton last year who had on display a Golden Eagle and a Prairie Falcon and wondered about the permit process out there. Appartently you find it, phone a CO he'll check it out and if you'd like to keep it will issue a $10 permit right there on the spot! Different then our side of the rocks for sure but definatlly interesting.

I've had no problems for permits yet on Barred owl, couple Great horned, and a Sharp Shinned Hawk.

Fisher-Dude
12-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Pat show me some Prof that it is illegal you can't clip your tag if you come across a recent dead animal that is legal to shoot in a region you are hunting ..

Check page 20 of the regs:

POSSESSION AND
TRANSPORTATION

Big Game

It is unlawful to possess or transport a

big game animal that was killed unintentionally
by accident or collision, or was illegally
killed.

Steeleco
12-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I've been in the Guildford office a few times with raptors for inspection. (hence the img posted) When I got my Sharp shinned hawk from a bird/aircraft collision at YVR. I asked about big game, as I knew a fellow in Castlegar that had just got a permit for a deer he'd seen, first hand, hit by a car. The officer in Guildford told me it wasn't allowed, yet the CO in Castlegar gave said guy a permit to keep the meat for $10.

Like all else in our hunting reg's, there was no consistency then and appears to be non today?

I've had the opportunity to have given 2 Bald Eagles from a connection I have that works Burns bog land fill, apparently they get electrocuted somewhat regularly. They day they don't go to the First Nations community as a default, Ray will be getting mine!!!

tash
12-31-2011, 11:56 AM
I have also been told by a CO that if I get the permit, then I can keep a roadkill animal for meat.
I just can't touch it until I have that permit...

Fisher-Dude
12-31-2011, 03:37 PM
The permit is a "Sustenance Permit" for meat. They don't hand them out willy-nilly to people driving $70,000 diesels. They generally go to the Indians or the less fortunate.

Steeleco
12-31-2011, 03:46 PM
The permit is a "Sustenance Permit" for meat. They don't hand them out willy-nilly to people driving $70,000 diesels. They generally go to the Indians or the less fortunate.

Well said guy was neither, but being a neighbor down the street might have helped!!! It's good that they do this so the animal isn't totally wasted. But it still is a contradiction within itself.

Check page 20 of the regs:

POSSESSION AND
TRANSPORTATION

Big Game

It is unlawful to possess or transport a

big game animal that was killed unintentionally by accident or collision, or was illegally
killed.
It's either allowed or it's not, they need to insert the "sustenance" clause into this item so ALL folks that can read will understand the rules.

tash
12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure where the $70K diesel comment is coming from....I was told that if I wanted to pick up roadkill, I could get a permit to do so.

My understanding is that around here, roadkill gets taken to a game cutter and processed. That meat then goes to soup kitchens in the area.

steel_ram
12-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Road kills around here used to go to the hounds keepers the CO's employed. Though there isn't much left, table fare wise, when one of our little deer gets hammered by a $70K urban diesel.;)

Jelvis
12-31-2011, 11:43 PM
If a hunter found a dead buck in the bush in hunting season it doesn't mean the buck was illegally killed, it might have been hit hard by a bullet and got away and died later, so now the hunter couldn't find it and gave up looking. You come along a week later and see ravens and eagles and go look. Then you see the half eaten huge antlered typical buck wasting away, with raven crap all over the exposed flesh ripped open by eagles and ravens.
The meat is ruined of course being over a week since it died, but the antlers are still good, dark brown and perfect shape.

CanuckShooter
12-31-2011, 11:58 PM
And Jelly has a status card, he can just gather them up for ceremonial purposes, you other boys dOnt touch them if you don't want trouble with the law!!

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 04:29 AM
I understand its illegal to transport a animal that was killed by another source what about just the antlers the antlers might have been shot ten years ago by you or your friend.

Two years ago I was picking up my antlers and a few head mounts from this home that I stored them at on the island they where out in sight in the back of my truck not more then 5 min went by on the way home and 3 squad cars had me pulled over some of these skulls with the head gear on them where over 20 years old guess I was luck I did not loose them because I have no Prof of 50% of the antlers in the back of my truck ...

I guess every one should keep a record of the animals he or she has shot over there hunting years as for the clipped tags and pictures to prov they shot these animals if you don't have Prof of the kill the way I see it you can have them taken away from you from a CO or police...

bear buster
01-01-2012, 07:42 AM
I have a stack of antlers from animals my brother and dad shot, and one hell of a pile of old cut tags to go with, right back to mid 80`s. Its best to keep some record just in case, we moved across town last year and I had a truck load and then some, thank god I had kept all the tags! theres a lots of setimentle value there.

elkdom
01-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I understand its illegal to transport a animal that was killed by another source what about just the antlers the antlers might have been shot ten years ago by you or your friend.

Two years ago I was picking up my antlers and a few head mounts from this home that I stored them at on the island they where out in sight in the back of my truck not more then 5 min went by on the way home and 3 squad cars had me pulled over some of these skulls with the head gear on them where over 20 years old guess I was luck I did not loose them because I have no Prof of 50% of the antlers in the back of my truck ...

I guess every one should keep a record of the animals he or she has shot over there hunting years as for the clipped tags and pictures to prov they shot these animals if you don't have Prof of the kill the way I see it you can have them taken away from you from a CO or police...

by LAW anyone in possession of wildlife parts(fur,mounts,antlers with scull caps) must have PROOF of License or Permit !

the CANCELED Species Licenses are to be KEPT INDEFINITELY (forever) for proof of ownership and a copy or the canceled tags should accompany any such "trophies" when these items are sold or gifted to another person,

and a HUNTING license or SPECIES TAG is NOT a Dead Animal SALVAGE License or a (pick-up-dead-stuff alternative-license)and is ONLY! to be canceled for GAME KILLED by the LICENSE HOLDER during a Lawful Season !

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Elkdom regarding your post I would say that there are lots of hunters out there that probably have no prof of the animals they shot over there years I would say that if a CO went to a 100 homes where hunters had antlers etc from over a period of time that 80% of them would not have prof of these animals they shot..

elkdom
01-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Elkdom regarding your post I would say that there are lots of hunters out there that probably have no prof of the animals they shot over there years..

by THEIR OWN Admission, according to this thread !
I would say there a LOT of so called hunters that do NOT have a GRIP on the Laws regarding the Possession of Wildlife and Wildlife Parts,

getting AWAY with something does not make it Lawful !

Steeleco
01-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Elkdom regarding your post I would say that there are lots of hunters out there that probably have no prof of the animals they shot over there years I wouls sday that if a CO whent to a 100 homes where hunters had antlers etc that 80% of them would not have proff of these animals they shot..

I'd agree with that. It wasn't until Ray Weins told me to keep my tag when I was picking up my rug that I learned this rule, I happen to save them all for some kleptomaniac reason, but didn't know it was important for this reason.

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I have been keeping all my years hunting license sense the early 80ties but have a few head mounts beyond this time that I have no prof of the only prof I could get is that from the Taxidermy that did the head mount and might still have the tag ,L number but this is going back 40 years ago...

tash
01-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I thought that the tag number had to be permanently attached to the head mounts in some way?

I knew that I am required to keep the cancelled tags for any game meat I have in my freezer.
How does it work then for game meat I am given?

Or game scraps that I pick up from a friend? If I am pulled over by a CO and they find that I have deer liver/kidney/etc and bloodshot meat in my cooler (for the dog), am I going to get in trouble? What if I pick up scraps from a game cutter? Do I run the chance of getting charged with something because I have these in my possession, even when it is pretty obvious that they are scraps?

elkdom
01-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I thought that the tag number had to be permanently attached to the head mounts in some way?

I knew that I am required to keep the cancelled tags for any game meat I have in my freezer.
How does it work then for game meat I am given?

Or game scraps that I pick up from a friend? If I am pulled over by a CO and they find that I have deer liver/kidney/etc and bloodshot meat in my cooler (for the dog), am I going to get in trouble? What if I pick up scraps from a game cutter? Do I run the chance of getting charged with something because I have these in my possession, even when it is pretty obvious that they are scraps?

BC Hunting Regulations for 2010-2012, pages 20 and 77 detailed information on " possession and transporting wildlife parts ",,,,

a current Hunting Synopsis is an amazing thing to behold !
so IS reading IT thoroughly !

Fisher-Dude
01-01-2012, 11:02 AM
BC Hunting Regulations for 2010-2012, pages 20 and 77 detailed information on " possession and transporting wildlife parts ",,,,

Why should someone bother to read and understand the regs when they can ask on HBC and get 50 wrong answers from 50 dumbasses that haven't read the regs either? :neutral:

elkdom
01-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Why should someone bother to read and understand the regs when they can ask on HBC and get 50 wrong answers from 50 dumbasses that haven't read the regs either? :neutral:

READING anything !,,,,,,,, much less the BC Hunting Synopsis would not only provide IMPROVED comprehension and understanding of the Wild Life Regulations ???

Hell !,,,, reading might even IMPROVE SPELLING !,
there ARE rumors, READING improves SPELLING ! lol

elkdom
01-01-2012, 11:23 AM

and just looking/reading through a BC Hunting Regulations Synopsis from the YEAR 1982 ! the Regulations for possessing ANY Wildlife, taken under License or other methods( gifted, found, or road kill) are exactly the SAME as the Regulations for possessing and transporting wildlife in the current BC Hunting Reg's,,

obviously READING during the 1980's was also not very POPULAR !,,,,,,,,:?

Jelvis
01-01-2012, 12:38 PM
I bet a lot of people would be caught lying about the old trophy head on the wall that they said they got way back?
LOL .. Yah I got this one up in Tulameen in the early 90's. What a hike out with that monster. In reality they found the rack at the local land fill after somebody through it out and dint care about the antlers.
Jel .. .. A new law for fisherman and hunters .. A truth detector .. lol.

Hunter Dog
01-01-2012, 01:23 PM
through???? Threw.... lol

I bet a lot of people would be caught lying about the old trophy head on the wall that they said they got way back?
LOL .. Yah I got this one up in Tulameen in the early 90's. What a hike out with that monster. In reality they found the rack at the local land fill after somebody through it out and dint care about the antlers.
Jel .. .. A new law for fisherman and hunters .. A truth detector .. lol.

dana
01-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Don't get on poor ol' Jelly about his spelling. Be happy he is on his meds right now. :)

hunter1947
01-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Don't get on poor ol' Jelly about his spelling. Be happy he is on his meds right now. :)

X2 jel is the king on this site..

tash
01-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Or one could actually answer the question and not be snarky about it....

I wonder how many folks reading through this forum hesitate to ask questions because they are sure someone will tell them that it's a dumb one and then proceed to question their literacy and intelligence...

Ambush
01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I wonder how many folks reading through this forum hesitate to ask questions because they are sure someone will tell them that it's a dumb one and then proceed to question their literacy and intelligence...

The self-righteous cannot help but act pious.

It is rediculus to think that every set of antlers, that is legitametly owned , has ducumentaion to prove it.

I also don't think a provincial court judge would have much patience for an official bringing charges against someone in that predicament. It's a little different than catching someone leaving Jasper park with several intact elk pick-ups and a set of sheep horns.

Some people just like to look for the devil behind every door, split every hair ten times, advance every dark conspiracy theory and examine every situtation for the most miniscule possibilty of failure or folly.

There is a "Zombie" thread going on for those guys.

elkdom
01-01-2012, 06:56 PM

for accurate and CORRECT answers pertaining to the BC Hunting Regulations ?

the BC Wildlife Act is where the answers are AUTHENTIC !

and for QUICK reference the answers are in a condensed version in the current BC Hunting Reg's !

is that clear enough for you ?:?

Barracuda
01-01-2012, 07:02 PM
pretty simple to read the wildlife act . if something is a bit confuseing give victoria a call.

Jelvis
01-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Sheds are from antlered animals, horns are on sheep and they don't fall off.

CanuckShooter
01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
What happens when your antlers are from aboriginal hunting? There is no licence or tags so what does the MOE do then?

Jelvis
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM
You can't eat antlers lol.

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 02:54 AM
What happens when your antlers are from aboriginal hunting? There is no licence or tags so what does the MOE do then?

My guess is you get a letter from the chief saying that you got the antlers from this tribe or you might have to go to the wildlife branch and get some paper work ??? as for a transport permit you keep this letter in your files for ever.

CanuckShooter
01-02-2012, 03:07 AM
As good a guess as any? All we can ever do is try to keep it between the ditches.:-)

Gateholio
01-02-2012, 07:18 AM

If you want to avoid that, then put elkdom on ignore.

elkdom
01-02-2012, 07:25 AM
If you want to avoid that, then put elkdom on ignore.

that works 2 ways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gateholio
01-02-2012, 07:28 AM
that works 2 ways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes, both of you could ignore each other.

elkdom
01-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Yes, both of you could ignore each other.

well that would be just "ignorant",,,,,,,,

ufishifish2
01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Okay, back to the thread.
I want to hit it from a different angle though.
What if you are hunting sheep or goats in treacherous territory. You hammer a goat or sheep, but due to cliffs or spraining your ankle, you can not retrieve the animal until the next morning. When you wake up the next morning there is a tonne of new snow on the ground and it is impossible for you to retrieve the animal.
A.) Do you go back in the spring/early summer once the snow melts to atleast retrieve the skull if lucky? Either animal needs a CI and the timeframe for CI'ing the animal will be long overdue.
B.) Do you go to the CO's for anything at all????
I figure I should ask this question because it could easily happen one day in the harsh environment those critters often are in!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Okay, back to the thread.
I want to hit it from a different angle though.
What if you are hunting sheep or goats in treacherous territory. You hammer a goat or sheep, but due to cliffs or spraining your ankle, you can not retrieve the animal until the next morning. When you wake up the next morning there is a tonne of new snow on the ground and it is impossible for you to retrieve the animal.
A.) Do you go back in the spring/early summer once the snow melts to atleast retrieve the skull if lucky? Either animal needs a CI and the timeframe for CI'ing the animal will be long overdue.
B.) Do you go to the CO's for anything at all????
I figure I should ask this question because it could easily happen one day in the harsh environment those critters often are in!

If you know the animal is dead, cut your tag, take as many pics/vids as possible and report it to a CO ASAP and follow his advice.

SSS

SHAKER
01-02-2012, 11:20 AM

I just went threw this with an native hunter who took a nice Ram this year to get mounted... BEFORE he brought it to me for a mount I phoned the regional biologist, CO's and the tannery to get an answer with no confusion. After many phone calls from myself and the Bio, he was instructed from the Kamloops bio to inform me to:
#1-Get hunters name adress and stutus #
#2-Horns need to be inspected and plugged but the hunter does not recieve the inspection paper so transfer of ownership cannot legally happen.
#3 Carry on like any other taxidermy job for me!

hunterdon
01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Elkdom regarding your post I would say that there are lots of hunters out there that probably have no prof of the animals they shot over there years I would say that if a CO went to a 100 homes where hunters had antlers etc from over a period of time that 80% of them would not have prof of these animals they shot..

I agree. There`s probably a lot of wall hangers out there without proof of legal possession. Not mine though, as I keep the license and cancelled species tag in a small plastic pouch attached to the backside of my mounts. But, the law as stated in the regs did not exist forever. I`m curious as to what year this law came to be in existence. Perhaps someone here may have the answer. The reason why I bring this up is because there may be some here who have grandpa`s trophy gracing their home. If grandpa shot his animal BEFORE this law was on the books, then that should make grandpa`s trophy legal. At least that`s the way I see it. Good thread. Thanks to all.

Steeleco
01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Let's be honest, our friends in the blue pick ups have way more to do than come search every home with a known hunter. I should think that the only time a person would need said proof is if they are selling the item, or have been caught doing something they shouldn't have and need to prove it's legality. The OP was about getting animals/parts from the field to home and it's legalities.

hunterdon
01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Let's be honest, our friends in the blue pick ups have way more to do than come search every home with a known hunter. I should think that the only time a person would need said proof is if they are selling the item, or have been caught doing something they shouldn't have and need to prove it's legality. The OP was about getting animals/parts from the field to home and it's legalities.
True enough in most cases. However, as was previously mentioned in an earlier thread, one was transporting his mounts by way of vehicle. Most people at some point or another during their lifetime move residences. According to statistics, people change residency on average once every five years. They usually want to keep their mounts. If they should be stopped by a peace officer during transportation, they still need to show proof of legal possession. I think that`s where things could get a little stressful if there was no proof of legal possession.

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 01:51 PM
True enough in most cases. However, as was previously mentioned in an earlier thread, one was transporting his mounts by way of vehicle. Most people at some point or another during their lifetime move residences. According to statistics, people change residency on average once every five years. They usually want to keep their mounts. If they should be stopped by a peace officer during transportation, they still need to show proof of legal possession. I think that`s where things could get a little stressful if there was no proof of legal possession.

Yes I agree as I said on this thread there are many hunters that could never prove that there head mount belongs to them and I am one of them :)..

CanuckShooter
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
If you know the animal is dead, cut your tag, take as many pics/vids as possible and report it to a CO ASAP and follow his advice.

SSS

Makes it way easier for them to charge you when you confess to failing to retrieve all edible portions.....a nominal fine and a few years hunting Prohibition sounds appropriate. ;-)

hunter1947
01-02-2012, 01:58 PM

SSS

I agree this is what I would do..

ufishifish2
01-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I doubt you would be prosecuted to the extent Canuckshooter says, but even in good conscience and a highly ethical hunter could still get fined due to nothing more than a crappy situation. I wish we had some consistency from the boys in blue! I don't know that I would report myself in that situation Wayne..... Maybe! Maybe that makes me unethical but I hope not.

steel_ram
01-02-2012, 03:34 PM

SSS

That would seem to be the moral thing to do, however legally there's a few avenue's of guilt you would open up for yourself by doing so. Edible portions are not recovered either way.

As for transporting meat, once it's been processed or taken to a place of consumption it doesn't require a paper trail.

ufishifish2
01-02-2012, 04:55 PM

SSS

If you cut your tag you then have to get a goat or sheep, as in my example, inspected! If it is still up there on the mountain and unable to be recovered, it obviously can not be inspected. I don't really know what self reporting would accomplish in this case, although by the letter of the law, that is what should be done. I morally agree with you SSS, but don't feel that a punishment is necessary in the example I used and I fear that that may happen. For me that would be the big fear and I would be instantly reformed from liking the boys in blue, to forever disliking each and every one of them due to my percieved ill treatment. I wish we had a CO on here to answer the billions of questions we all come up with. I figure he would be pretty busy, as well as a bit frustrated by a few of us! :)

Stone Sheep Steve
01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
That would seem to be the moral thing to do, however legally there's a few avenue's of guilt you would open up for yourself by doing so. Edible portions are not recovered either way.

As for transporting meat, once it's been processed or taken to a place of consumption it doesn't require a paper trail.

Okay then....how about NOT cutting your tag, reporting it and then follow the CO's advice. He may get you to cut your tag right there in front of him.

If I know I killed a goat my hunt would be over.

SSS

elkdom
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
as there ARE NOT ANY "Statute of Limitations on Wildlife Infractions in British Columbia"??? you can be charged 40 years after an offense, should CO's have cause !

it doesn't matter if game or game parts are in your possession 20 minutes after being killed or 20 YEARS after being killed !

AT ANY TIME !

a CO can DEMAND Licenses/Tags/ or Documentation of Legality, he CAN and WILL Seize and possibly lay charges or just inventory the wildlife in question and wait for documentation to be provided !

houndogger
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
as there ARE NOT ANY "Statute of Limitations on Wildlife Infractions in British Columbia"??? you can be charged 40 years after an offense, should CO's have cause !

it doesn't matter if game or game parts are in your possession 20 minutes after being killed or 20 YEARS after being killed !

AT ANY TIME !

a CO can DEMAND Licenses/Tags/ or Documentation of Legality, he CAN and WILL Seize and possibly lay charges or just inventory the wildlife in question and wait for documentation to be provided !

With all their man power I will go get all my old licences and wait for the doorbell! lol

CanuckShooter
01-03-2012, 07:09 AM
I doubt you would be prosecuted to the extent Canuckshooter says, but even in good conscience and a highly ethical hunter could still get fined due to nothing more than a crappy situation. I wish we had some consistency from the boys in blue! I don't know that I would report myself in that situation Wayne..... Maybe! Maybe that makes me unethical but I hope not.

Not unethical, just prudent. What purpose would you telling them serve other than you confessing your guilt? Plus, some of them are so stupid you just might face charges.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Not unethical, just prudent. What purpose would you telling them serve other than you confessing your guilt? Plus, some of them are so stupid you just might face charges.

Those Mtns have eyes. I know of a prosecution where a sheep fell into the oblivion (smashed all to hell where the largest piece of meat to survive was smaller than a roast). He didn't self report but someone else did.

Better to hear it from the shooter than someone else.

SSS

CanuckShooter
01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Those Mtns have eyes. I know of a prosecution where a sheep fell into the oblivion (smashed all to hell where the largest piece of meat to survive was smaller than a roast). He didn't self report but someone else did.

Better to hear it from the shooter than someone else.

SSS

Guess they got the serial number off his arse?? LOL