PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 Moose

Four Point
10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Headed up to Region 3 for the opening of any buck and limited entry bull moose. Arrived on Saturday. Very windy; perfect for hunting. Hunted all the cutblocks but not much happening. When I headed into the timber still hunting into the wind, I started seeing game right away. Very very dry so it was tough to be quiet. Most of the deer that we saw we spooked and caught a glimpse of them hightailing it into deeper and darker timber. Any sign is good sign!! Gets the heart going!!

Saturday evening 6:45 spotted a doe and 2-point in velvet. Had over two minutes to look them over - that doesn't happen too often to me. But it was Saturday - 4 points or better. Dam. Maybe tomorrow. A lonely 2 km walk back to the truck in the dark.

Sunday morning - Any BUCK! Yippee!! I'm gonna go get-um. Well didn't see a deer. Imagine that. No wind, dead quiet, except wherever I walked. Headed back to camp where my wife and hunting partner were sitting having a coffee. No deer to be seen, no moose, so time for breakfast and relive old hunting stories. Oh got this 4-point over here over on that hill, remember that big moose, blah blah blah.

Gary my hunting partner starts buggin me about my lame moose call. Funny that it works on my wife Teresa who will always pops into my sight whenever I grunt out a call, whether its in the wilds or Canadian Tire! So I let my patented bull call. Guaranteed to bring in any bull within a thousand yards. We all laugh. 10 seconds later 4 quick grunts come from right behind our camp. Everybody looks at me as they sit there sipping their coffee. I grab my odd 6. I grunt 3 more times and over the hill he comes. Remember we're talking 75 yards behind camp. I see the horns first and then he stops, 2 more grunts and over he comes. The gun was already up and so are my hunting partners. The look of disbelief in the moose and my partners was about the same. BOOM. The first one went thru the ribcage. The moose walked 20 ft. I grunted/he stopped. Second shot flipped him over. As he disappeared so did my hunting partners. Everybody's going what the hell. I told them "Its a good moose call"! Remember from the first grunt to the second shot was 35 seconds. Amazing how a trip can change in a heartbeat. Lots of "I can't believe it", "where was he the whole time" "was he bedded back there". We had sat there over 2 hours talking.

Now the tough part starts. We had a 15 ft uphill drag, then AFTER ALL THAT, another 35 FT DOWN to the pick-up truck! Every once in awhile you've gotta be lucky.

Good luck to everybody. Four Point

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00017.JPG

livingston
10-03-2006, 08:06 PM
good story and a nice looking bull.Sometimes its nice when it can't be any easier and sometimes its nice to work hard for an animal:)

JMac
10-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Nice picture. Good to see you gettin r done!

Islandeer
10-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Who says there aren't any hunting gods!! Good going, beauty bull.

3kills
10-03-2006, 09:20 PM
4 point where about in 3 were ya???

mainland hunter
10-03-2006, 11:27 PM
nice bull gotta love that story

The Hermit
10-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Perfect! They will NEVER tease you about your lame moose call again!! Oh how the tables have turned... anytime either of them EVER doubt you again about ANYTHING all you will have to do is grunt and wink at them! Perfect! LOL

Nice bull too!

FullDraw
10-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Nice job and a great story I hope my region 3 trip works out like that for me!

FullDraw

mtnmax
10-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Awsome job well done!!
I will be triing to call moose this weekend for the first time.
Hope my lame call works as good as yours!!!

Will
10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Awesome..Gotta like that:lol:
Congrats on a Fine looking Reg 3 Bull8)

ianwuzhere
10-04-2006, 08:54 PM
beauty moose-great story- what kind of call u use?

mrdoog
10-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Beauty!
I hope we have same results in November, long ways South of your score.

longhairmtnman
10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Hilarious! This is one of those urban myths right?8-) Can you teach me this call?