PDA

View Full Version : My new side kick in the bush

Slinky Pickle
12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I do a lot of wandering around in the bush with my camera and although I normally don't worry too much about a defense gun, there have been times when the area I was in or the subject I was trying to photograph made me feel like I would want a defense gun handy.

I tried carrying a shortened, pistol grip shotgun but even that was too bulky. It always seemed that by the time I had my camera, lens bag, tripod and other stuff, I didn't have an extra hand or shoulder to carry the shotgun so it often got left at the truck or quad.

I know that the die hards out there will laugh, but about a year ago I put my name on a waiting list for what I figured could be the solution. Last week I finally received my Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag. I've had it out to the range a few times to try it out and I'm pretty happy with how it works. If the critter is at more than 20 yards then I hope to be shooting it with the camera. The Ranch Hand would only be for those potential "up close and personal" moments.

It's 24 inches long, holsterable and non-restricted. It's probably not for everybody but for my application I think it will do just fine.

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesmain/RH92-50121_21.jpg

Poguebilt
12-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Very nice.... I have my eyes on one too! what you going to get for a holster?

dragonslayer
12-29-2011, 05:14 PM
looks to me thats what the rifle man use on the tv show lol

Slinky Pickle
12-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Very nice.... I have my eyes on one too! what you going to get for a holster?

I will probably go with an open style similar to this one. I'm looking for light and simple.

http://wildwestmerchandise.com/images/holsterset.jpg

looks to me thats what the rifle man use on the tv show lol

Actually, it was Steve McQueen in "Wanted, Dead or Alive" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

waistdeep
12-29-2011, 05:38 PM
i have a .44 Marlin and that is one fine caliber, enjoy

Johnny G1
12-29-2011, 06:04 PM
When did a 24 in rifle be come theproper lenght, I thought it was 26?????

Slinky Pickle
12-29-2011, 10:43 PM
When did a 24 in rifle be come theproper lenght, I thought it was 26?????

I know it's crazy but the Criminal Code says that a weapon that is "adapted" from a rifle or shotgun and has a length less than 26" is prohibited. This one hasn't been adapted.... it was built that way from the get go. If you buy it that way from the factory apparently it makes a difference. I didn't make the rule but I'm ok with following it. I have my registration in hand saying that it's non-restricted.

The gun is 24" overall length with a 12" barrel.

TheProvider
12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I want one :D

TheProvider
12-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Canadian Dealer??

bearhunter338-06
12-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Where did you pick it up.........thinking I want one............:-)

Slinky Pickle
12-30-2011, 08:14 AM
I got mine from Wanstall's on the coast. From what I know, there is still quite a long list of folks waiting for them. The demand appears to be far greater than Rossi's production levels.

There is a VERY long thread about them in the Wanstalls forum on the Canadian Gun Nutz website.

laredo318
12-30-2011, 01:59 PM
AHHHH...you are one of the guys in front of me in the lineup, huh?
Congrats...still waiting, (not so) patiently.

cloverphil
12-30-2011, 02:04 PM
there was a 12 ga SxS shotgun at Reliable last year a friend of mine bought, factory made with a 12 inch barrel and it was non-restricted too, it's altering a rifle or home cut jobs that make 'em restricted