PDA

View Full Version : Winter workout for this years sheep hunt.

Buck
12-29-2011, 10:05 AM
What do you guys do to get into shape for sheep hunting during the winter.Snowshoeing, Cross country,Telemarking running.Looking for some ideas so i can start earlier this year.

Skull Hunter
12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I want to be in better shape to start the season this year. So far I've been out cross-country skiing a few times, snowshoeing a bit, but mostly just out to some lakes to ice fish or set up for some wolf hunting. I've also been playing and coaching hockey, and taking my dog for 3 short walks a day. When spring hits I plan on getting into the mountains as early as I can to do some hiking.

Also, as soon as I get motivated enough I want to get into some resistance training again. It's been years since I've done any weights seriously. Also I think my new years resolution is going to be improving my diet, which I think will go a long way towards conditioning for sheep/goat season.

fearnodeer
12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Go hiking at Golden Ears, lots of trials.

spear
12-29-2011, 10:37 AM
All in sequence no rest in between
500m row on erg
40 squats (just body weight)
30 sit ups
20 push up
10 pullups

Followed by a 15-20 min hike/bike/run whatever or 20 min of weights, only dynamic movements eg. Squats/Leg Press/Deadlifts/Barbell Bench
This is my routine as well as hot yoga 2-3 times/week, say what you will it keeps the joits healthy and me pain free

spear
12-29-2011, 10:37 AM
If the time you finish the sequence in gets shorter, you are getting in better shape

coach
12-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Before starting any program assess your current strengths and weaknesses so you can target the most important areas. If it's in the budget, seek professional help with this from either a physiotherapist or qualified fitness trainer. Cardio is easy enough to improve. Start at a level that challenges you and increase duration and intensity over time. Weight training has changed drastically over the years. Modern training includes a lot more core training and functional movements. Here's a YouTube video that will give you a better idea of what modern training looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIWpYbUSXhs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

vortex hunter
12-29-2011, 10:49 AM
P90x is wonderful BUCK

Amphibious
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
30 hard minutes on elliptical or stair climber followed by weights session 6 days a week. in the spring more outdoor training with pack on.

TheProvider
12-29-2011, 11:27 AM
I havent sheep hunted yet but... bike the dog for 30 mins a day then normally try to get in atleast 2 hikes a week, minimum hike is 4hrs, normally average around 5-6hrs, in the mountains of course

BCrams
12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Primarily skate skiing at the local ski club trails where there's good cruising and serious thigh / lung burning hills along with swimming.

Ltbullken
12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I do a full body core program that always includes some form of working back and legs. And on off days, I do cardio, biking/spin or swimming. Spin is kick ass for fitness. Crossfit is a great workout too.

coach
12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Here's a good website for Swiss ball exercises:

http://www.ball-exercises.com/

It's amazing the strength gains that can be made with minimal equipment.

snareman1234
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Scout for elk and big mules all winter (hike bags of feed into tcam sites, hike and glass while antlers still on) , then shed hunt and bear hunt all spring

Jim Prawn
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Got a membership to try out some Yoga/Pilates. Seems to be a good way to go if your focus is flexibility and core strength. Then stuff the pack with 80+ lbs a few months in advance. Mt finlayson is a good terrain prep down here, Elk Lake for endurance (10K). Did my first hunt last year and I definitely could have done more, especially for endurance. Strength was OK but my knees gave out on the first day and bugged me for the rest of the week. Also should have taken more food since I already had no fat to burn. Not planning a trip this year but going to do all the prep anyways. Got my beer, wine and whiskey drinking down to a science over the hollidays though.
JP

Glenny
12-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Shagging.....

burger
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
P90x is wonderful BUCK

I am in my 3rd week of this and I tell you it is a killer training aid. Already feel stronger but man does it kick your ass.

Brian011
12-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Go shed hunting

vortex hunter
12-29-2011, 03:33 PM
I am in my 3rd week of this and I tell you it is a killer training aid. Already feel stronger but man does it kick your ass.

Yes it's the best .. When I was a Boxer I did weights and cardio and jumped rope alot NOTHING compares to THE P90X work out it's all about muscle confusion .......Vortex

coach
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM
I do a full body core program that always includes some form of working back and legs. And on off days, I do cardio, biking/spin or swimming. Spin is kick ass for fitness. Crossfit is a great workout too.

Crossfit workouts are fun and high intensity - BUT, the injury rate is extremely high. Olympic lifting, which makes up much of the Crossfit workout, is very technical and not really suited to racing against the clock or other members of the workout group. The last thing anyone wants is to start a fitness program with the intent of being in better shape for hunting only to wind up injured and miss the season. P90X would be a better route to choose.

tundra
12-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I have completed two full rounds of P90x classic. If you want to get serious about getting in shape this is the program for you. I can't wait for P90x2 to arrive. You can purchase at Walmart for about 130 dollars. Once you have it keep pushing play.

BlacktailStalker
12-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Get hounds !!!
You'll be in sheep shape year round :cool:

burger
12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I have completed two full rounds of P90x classic. If you want to get serious about getting in shape this is the program for you. I can't wait for P90x2 to arrive. You can purchase at Walmart for about 130 dollars. Once you have it keep pushing play.

They have one out I hear. I think it is called insanity and is put on by the same guy.

Here is a link

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

tundra
12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
They have one out I hear. I think it is called insanity and is put on by the same guy.

Here is a link

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do
My wife does the insanity lots of cardio. They just released P90X2 a week a go. They have charged my card and now waiting for it to arrive. Since my heart attack I have lost what I gained so time to hit it hard.

burger
12-29-2011, 06:05 PM
My wife does the insanity lots of cardio. They just released P90X2 a week a go. They have charged my card and now waiting for it to arrive. Since my heart attack I have lost what I gained so time to hit it hard.

Will have to check it out then. First though I have to get through round one.. "I love it...but I hate it" LOL

tundra
12-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Will have to check it out then. First though I have to get through round one.. "I love it...but I hate it" LOL
LOL I shut the sound off and crank the tunes I can't handle all the catch phrases.

Mountain Hunter
12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
XC skiing is great, low impact, great workout, and you can find the gear relatively inexpensive,

And then hiking up and around the hills for 2-4 hours at a time whenever you can.

ianwuzhere
12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
i type my heart out on hunting bc and do a lil teevee watching- flip thru a lot of channels, and get out a lil hunting and ice fishing...
oh and i work all day.. ;)

Buck
12-30-2011, 11:58 PM
I hiked plenty of hills last season( Quarry road to Monroe lake very steep)and did P90X.I had 105lbs in my pack near the end but i noticed when there was no trail and you had to bust you're own it was a new level of fitness that was required so this year i need to step it up a bit.

moose2
12-31-2011, 02:21 AM
I will be walking steep river banks with gear and winter clothes looking for coyotes. Then once the spring arrives I will focus on shed hunting. Basement workouts will help, but IMHO I think climbing steep banks in the gear you will be wearing is the best all round training. Its also a good way to check equipment before the trip ( boots, clothing, pack ). If you you haven't packed a sheep or deer down a mountain and want to simulate it. Climb a steep river bank or mountain with 30lbs in your pack once at the top add 70lbs of rocks and head back down avoiding any trails. My packs out with rams have been between 3 and 6 hours probably with 100+ lb packs. Down hill with weight is hard on the legs , knees , feet and hips. The best training for this is doing it with a heavy pack on.
Mike

Orangethunder
01-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Starting now is the best plan. Trying to do it last minute can lead to injury. What ever you decide to do I recommend keeping it up year round, once your in sheep shape why let it slip?

Fella
01-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Crossfit. Develops some serious lean functional muscle, as well as developing endurance. www.crossfit.com

mwj
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Am i the only one that doesn't do any training before sheep hunting?

The Dude
01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
P90X Rules.......orrrrrrr....

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w210/sandracer46/duckownedwo5.jpg

Different strokes for different folks... :D

pnbrock
01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
now thats a bird dog!!!

Ridgeback Fan
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
All in sequence no rest in between
500m row on erg
40 squats (just body weight)
30 sit ups
20 push up
10 pullups

Followed by a 15-20 min hike/bike/run whatever or 20 min of weights, only dynamic movements eg. Squats/Leg Press/Deadlifts/Barbell Bench
This is my routine as well as hot yoga 2-3 times/week, say what you will it keeps the joits healthy and me pain free

This is close to what I do with a bit of cross country, snowshoeing, etc. As the year progresses and I spend more time outside running, and hiking and so on (i.e. less need to do this stuff in the gym to keep the body fat down), I will go back to power lifting for a short period of time. Usually never more than three months and always focussing on exlosive compound movements. I always do some variation of a planned over training schedule, which never fails to make my body react. I take a month or two in June and July, scrap the weights and focus on flexibility and endurance. Everyone is different, but my body reacts well to a stint of intense weights about once a year and a little extra power is nice as long as it does not come at the expense of cardio.

The Dude
01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
You can also join a hiking club. If you like hiking and beer, join the Hash House Harriers (But that kinda defeats the whole purpose, I know :-) )

boxhitch
01-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Nothing wrong with being a fit beer drinker ! Switch to lite beer a month before departure.

BCbillies
01-06-2012, 12:07 AM
X-Country skiing and a 5 day February goat hunt. Come April it will be the regular routine of a weighted pack and hiking the mountain. I haven't done the gym thing for about 15 years . . . IMHO the big muscle bound boys don't fair as well in the high country!

Singleshotneeded
01-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Sex several times a day, morning before work, lunch, after work, after dinner, bedtime, and at some point during the night!
Do this every day...if your woman isn't sweaty you're slacking off, pick up the pace!!

Rackmastr
01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to do a round of P90x coming up right away here, and then once I'e completed that I think I'll work on a Crossfit type program mixed with hiking with a pack and biking. I am going to be moving to Cranbrook in the next week here and think that it would be a good excuse to buy a new bike to explore the area and the trails...

Ridgeback Fan
01-06-2012, 12:49 PM
X-Country skiing and a 5 day February goat hunt. Come April it will be the regular routine of a weighted pack and hiking the mountain. I haven't done the gym thing for about 15 years . . . IMHO the big muscle bound boys don't fair as well in the high country!

Looking forward to putting that theory to the test one day. $50 says I prove you wrong, but word has it you're a savage so maybe I'll have to eat my hat.

The real problem is that most guys who have lots of muscle gain them at the expense of cardio because it takes too much time to have both.

BCbillies
01-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Looking forward to putting that theory to the test one day. $50 says I prove you wrong, but word has it you're a savage so maybe I'll have to eat my hat.

The real problem is that most guys who have lots of muscle gain them at the expense of cardio because it takes too much time to have both.

I will give you the $50 because I know your routine. I agree few guys are able to focus on both aspects due to time/priorities . . . me being one! One day we will still have to put it to test. :) I really despise the thought of inhaling another guys gas heading up the mountain.

Ridgeback Fan
01-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I will give you the $50 because I know your routine. I agree few guys are able to focus on both aspects due to time/priorities . . . me being one! One day we will still have to put it to test. :) I really despise the thought of inhaling another guys gas heading up the mountain.

Odds are it's solo for me this year unless I get lucky on the draw. Let me know if something falls through for you

safarichris
01-10-2012, 08:09 AM
If you are a smoker, stop. There is no way you can climb mountains, hunt sheep , suck fresh air and puff on those things at the same time. Consider chewing if you have to have that buzz.

Good Old Outdoors
01-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Obviously hiking mountains carrying gear youre gonna need to be fit if you dont wanna be riding the cot the day after. What I think you should try is online called the Body 100, its a full body circuit workout followed by walking or running up flights of stairs! Or if thats to easy look up the body 200, I did it yesterday for the first time, I'm pretty fit and i pushed it until i felt like lunch was coming up. You might look at the workout and notice that both are heavy leg, shoulder and back orientated. Thats perfect for hiking up mountains with weight on your back, I do it for a living. If the intensity is too much, weight down your pack heavier then you will have it hunting and go hike some hills. Good luck!
GOO

Rubberfist
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I have been adhering to a strict regimen of performing the following circuit: pinning the couch to the floor for a MINIMUM of three consecutive hours while watching "Wild TV", executing at least 100 reps of the "chip and dip" interlaced with 100 complimentary reps of the "tip and sip"...gruelling. I have also been yelling at my son during hockey practices and games to "pick up the pace!" or "move it!", which is a great calorie burner.

I also rigged the bathroom scale as follows: with a small adjustment, I can have the scale read 15 pounds lighter without affecting the zero, which is how I set it just before I step on it. Remember: mind over matter! After I am done making myself feel better, I return the scale to how I have set it for my unsuspecting wife: to read 10 pounds heavier without affecting the zero. The latter strategy forces my wife to leave much of her food unfinished, which in turn helps with my diet plan below.

As far my diet goes, I try to eat while standing up as much as possible, that way food rushes through the digestive system without all of the calories being absorbed - known as the Bob-Sled Diet. Jumping up and down periodically while eating helps as well; try to time your jumps such that you are coming down just as you swallow.

Similarly, eating left-overs (i.e. the remaining half of a pumpkin pie, that container of stuffing from Christmas dinner...along with the gravy, cranberry sauce, turkey and cheese sauce kicking around in the fridge...or anything else that my wife won't finish as per the above "scale strategy") is also FAR lower in calories due to the phenomenon of "caloric exodus" - the process whereby the majority of the calorie molecules attempt to flee freshly prepared food for fear that they will be eaten. Hence, consuming the first half of a given food item will have more calories than eating the left-overs. This in turn validates the behavior of joining the dinner table a little bit later if there is a good hockey game on, because while everyone else gets the fattier food, you get the calorie-depleted remains.

Tony Horton and the P90X can blow me...I got it figured out.

ncurrie
01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I have been adhering to a strict regimine of performing the following circuit: pinning the couch to the floor for a MINIMUM of three consecutive hours while watching "Wild TV", executing at least 100 reps of the "chip and dip" interlaced with 100 complimentary reps of the "tip and sip"...gruelling. I have also been yelling at my son during hockey practices and games to "pick up the pace!" or "move it!", which is a great calorie burner.

I have also rigged the bathroom scale as follows: with a small adjustment, I can have the scale read 15 pounds lighter without affecting the zero, which is how I set it just before I step on it. Remember: mind over matter! After I am done making myself feel better, I return the scale to how I have set it for my unsuspecting wife: to read 10 pounds heavier without affecting the zero. The latter strategy forces my wife to leave much of her food unfinished, which in turn helps with my diet plan below.

As far my diet goes, I try to eat while standing up as much as possible, that way food rushes through the digestive system without all of the calories being absorbed - known as the Bob-Sled Diet. Jumping up and down periodically while eating helps as well; try to time your jumps such that you are coming down just as you swallow. Similarly, eating left-overs (i.e. the remaining half of a pumpkin pie, that container of stuffing from Christmas dinner...along with the gravy, cranberry sauce, turkey and cheese sauce kicking around in the fridge...or anything else that my wife won't finish as per the above "scale strategy") is also FAR lower in calories due to the phenomenon of "caloric exodus" - the process whereby the majority of the calorie molecules attempt to flee freshly prepared food for fear that they will be eaten. Hence, consuming the first half of a given food item will have more calories than eating the left-overs. This in turn validates the behavior of joining the dinner table a little bit later if there is a good hockey game on, because while everyone else gets the fattier food, you get the calorie-depleted remains.

Tony Horton and the P90X can blow me...I got it figured out.

lmao! you are too funny:)

303Brit
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
What ever you decide to do if you can do it at an elevation above 2500' your ahead of the game. Diff body types respond different to any number of workouts. It's more then just training though, if your diet is garbage then your handicapping yourself.
There are a great number of crossfit workouts that will increase strength and cardio. Someone mention crossfit injuries are high, this is true among people trying to do more advance crossfit routines without any training or lifting backgrounds. Routines, like barbara and The Gumpy 50 involve minimal equipment. Once they get easier either try to beat your last time, or begin adding weight to specific exercises.
It takes a shat tonne of personal drive to do crossfit on your own and get huge gains. Join a crossfit gym you won't be dissapointed.

The other thing is pick your routine, you don't have to compromise much cardio for strength endurance training. The idea is similar to crossfit, push lighter weight for higher reps and take shorter breaks. Should you take this route try to ensure you have a workout partner.

Now you can take this all as a grain of salt if you wish I'm not a trained personal trainer, I am however training for one of if not the toughest most physically demanding courses in the military ;)

My current moderate to low intensity cardio is 10km on snowshoes with 65lbs on my back at a starting elevation of 3200' I do that 4 or 5 mornings a week(this week I'm up'n the weight antoher 10#). Then I do strength training in the evenings along with swimming, or high intensity cardio on the spin bike or eliptical.

anybody wants any ideas above what most people would deem unrational shoot me a pm

303Brit
01-19-2012, 08:02 PM
14km on snowshoes this morning
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394809_10150474557466610_515476609_9024177_5048064 64_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401412_10150474554266610_515476609_9024161_1082630 330_n.jpg

Fresh dry pow, clear skies pretty sweet morning

Buck
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
What ever you decide to do if you can do it at an elevation above 2500' your ahead of the game. Diff body types respond different to any number of workouts. It's more then just training though, if your diet is garbage then your handicapping yourself.
There are a great number of crossfit workouts that will increase strength and cardio. Someone mention crossfit injuries are high, this is true among people trying to do more advance crossfit routines without any training or lifting backgrounds. Routines, like barbara and The Gumpy 50 involve minimal equipment. Once they get easier either try to beat your last time, or begin adding weight to specific exercises.
It takes a shat tonne of personal drive to do crossfit on your own and get huge gains. Join a crossfit gym you won't be dissapointed.

The other thing is pick your routine, you don't have to compromise much cardio for strength endurance training. The idea is similar to crossfit, push lighter weight for higher reps and take shorter breaks. Should you take this route try to ensure you have a workout partner.

Now you can take this all as a grain of salt if you wish I'm not a trained personal trainer, I am however training for one of if not the toughest most physically demanding courses in the military ;)

My current moderate to low intensity cardio is 10km on snowshoes with 65lbs on my back at a starting elevation of 3200' I do that 4 or 5 mornings a week(this week I'm up'n the weight antoher 10#). Then I do strength training in the evenings along with swimming, or high intensity cardio on the spin bike or eliptical.

anybody wants any ideas above what most people would deem unrational shoot me a pm

I am gonna hazard a guess and say you're 26 years of age.You certainly are dedicated.There is a crossfit gym on my way to work i will stop in and check it out.Some weight training would help i noticed when i got up above 70lbs my hips got kinda sore even after all the running and P90 X i did.I think i need to train more to offset fatigue (sore muscles)

303Brit
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I am gonna hazard a guess and say you're 26 years of age.You certainly are dedicated.There is a crossfit gym on my way to work i will stop in and check it out.Some weight training would help i noticed when i got up above 70lbs my hips got kinda sore even after all the running and P90 X i did.I think i need to train more to offset fatigue (sore muscles)

27 my man ;), When you say your hips are sore what do you mean? like your hip flexors or sore from the hipbelt digging into them?
I rolled out to the lake the other day with a couples buddies packing 75lbs plus 2ltrs of water, we ended up turning around as I was needed at home. The trip I posted up above/\ was with a 55lb pack

Buck
01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Ha not a bad guess on your age .
Just the weight seems to cause some discomfort during my stride.I was a few weeks off on going heavy last year.I found i was ok for 3k then i would get sore.I'm using a Mystery Ranch Kodiak lots of padding on the belt.

303Brit
01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Ha not a bad guess on your age .
Just the weight seems to cause some discomfort during my stride.I was a few weeks off on going heavy last year.I found i was ok for 3k then i would get sore.I'm using a Mystery Ranch Kodiak lots of padding on the belt.

Could be age related :tongue: 40 acting like your 20 ;)
Um next time your at the gym try doing some dumbell carries, not tryin to be insulting, if your grip will let you carry a 40# a side or better for at least 20m. Try doing 3 sets increasing in weight each set if you can, the discomfort could be caused by a host of different issues. Could anything from footwear, to stride, to sore joints, to a tight muscle.

Moose63
01-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Reading a book on sheep "Hunt High" by Duncan Robertson, and he didn't look to be in great shape when he was hunting in his fiftys.

91Jason91
01-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Lol I dont do it for sheep hunting I just do it for me Gym everyday eatting right 20Mins on the bike 30 on the tedmill 15 swimming laps in the pool 15 in the sauna and about 45 in the weight room everyday just about

BCrams
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Too cold to ski at the club trails this week. Churned out ~12, 000 meters or so in the pool instead for cardio over 3 work outs.

303Brit
01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Reading a book on sheep "Hunt High" by Duncan Robertson, and he didn't look to be in great shape when he was hunting in his fiftys.

Being fit and looking in shape can be 2 completely different things sometimes. I got a buddy that is built like a fridge (we use to call him fridge) and I'm talking old school fridge like wwhat you found in your dads garage to hold his beer. But this guy could drop everything and go for a 10k run and pick his stuff back up like nothing happen.

ohotnik
01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
I do not have a luxury to spend 4 hours in gym or hikinng every day. Work, kids, family you know... So I just bought 2x2 2005 ROKON motorcicle ;-). It shall take me almost everywhere.

moose2
01-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Am i the only one that doesn't do any training before sheep hunting?

It looks you don't need too Mark , your the only guy I know personally to have a BC slam so why change what works lol
Mike

calvin L
01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Well my self and my wife are training to do the tought mudder challenge @ wistler in june . It should be get for the sheep trip(if i get a leh) also the hiking with 40+ lbs on the back will help too . most of my hunting buddies are asking my would I do that to my self

calvin L

Buck
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
30 minutes on the bike
5 warmup 20 minutes at level 12 with 160BPM cooldown
3 sets of 12 squats on the half ball with 30 pounds
3 sets of 12 leg lifts Knee to chest
3 sets of 12 leg lifts legs straight
3 sets of 12 mixed straight and knee lifts
3 sets of 24 walking lunges with 40lbs
3 sets of leg extentions 120lbs on the machine
3 sets of 12 hamstring pulls? on the machine 100lbs
3 sets of squats in a lay down machine 120lbs
3sets of planks for 30 seconds each
3 sets of crunches
Various leg stretches after
Some bench press and arm work
i'll mix in burpees later

jtred
03-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Haven't started sheep hunting yet(one planned for this summer though) but still keep active with the family and on my own all winter. We crosscountry ski and I'm out on my snowshoes at least 3-4hrs each weekend. I had been walking(very fast) every night 6 km up until the end of January but that has fallen by the wayside because after working outside for 9 hours building I just can't get the motor going. Do a little weight training at home and now that work is getting to the paint and finish stage I'll start doing my walking again. Once the snow goes I'll be trotting up the mountain behind our house every night. I'm still in decent shape for being 42 but I have to work on it harder now then a few years ago.

Buck
04-29-2012, 11:44 AM
My conditioning is really going well strength and cardio are way up lost 15lbs .Have been hitting the mountains on weekends will start with the heavy pack soon.Going to to do some overnighters to try out some new gear and dial it in.How's it going out there?