PDA

View Full Version : Release's

BCHoyt
12-28-2011, 07:37 PM
While Im not new to archery or bow hunting I am still fairly new to using a release when shooting... I purchased a cobra release and have adjusted it out as far as it will extend and I still dont seem to feel comfortable as to where the trigger sits with my finger.. Its like it isnt long enough... Can anyone suggest a really good release to go with?

The Dawg
12-28-2011, 07:42 PM
I love my Tru-Ball release. Theres a ton to look at, so go find what works best for you.

BCHoyt
12-28-2011, 07:57 PM
I think Im gonna return the one I bought and see what else is out there..

The Hermit
12-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Caliber44 super silky and smooth!

hunter1993ap
12-28-2011, 09:33 PM
i have a fletcher release and i really like it. its smooth and easy to use. i would recomend this rest to someone else but i havnt used other releases so it might not be as good as others.

mntbowhunter
12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Thats wierd? Usually they arent short enough. Its not like shooting a rifle and for releases you really want to be using the base of your finger and not the tip. This allows you to "pluck" less and have a smoother release using the part of your finger that does not have as much movement. However thats just what I do and what I was taught, use what works best for you. Try out the Scott releases. In my opinion they are second to none and u can the NCS (Nylon connecting strap) versions that allow them to be as long or short as you want.

Ike
12-28-2011, 10:23 PM
It almost sounds like you are trying to set it up to get the same contact as on a rifle trigger (i.e. at the first pad) but before you go looking for another release try shortening it up so that your second finger joint makes contact with the trigger. Firing will be a result of your whole hand tightening as opposed to trying to pull the trigger like a rifle. From what I have read this is better, less likely to result in trigger punching. The other downside with your fingers fully extended is that it can set your anchor point too far back.

Give it a try before you start buying different releases, it might save you some $$ and time

(Just based on my limited knowledge, true expert opinion will supercede mine of course.) ;)

Cheers

BiG Boar
12-29-2011, 07:21 AM
x3, you're probably pulling your bow trigger with the wrong part of your finger.

The trigger should be touching the Second joint of your finger. As seen in this picture

http://www.youthgenesisbows.com/product_images/j/148/winn_loop_hook__35985_zoom.jpg

Its far deeper than you think, almost uncomfortable until you're used to it. The tip of your finger is bad because you don't want to feel for the release with your finger pad. It should be a surprise when it goes off. This position is best for the surprise.

Ruger4
12-29-2011, 08:08 AM
best postiton is comfort 'for you'
try lots and use whats comfortable 'for you'

Bow Walker
12-29-2011, 11:06 AM
It almost sounds like you are trying to set it up to get the same contact as on a rifle trigger (i.e. at the first pad) but before you go looking for another release try shortening it up so that your second finger joint makes contact with the trigger. Firing will be a result of your whole hand tightening as opposed to trying to pull the trigger like a rifle. From what I have read this is better, less likely to result in trigger punching. The other downside with your fingers fully extended is that it can set your anchor point too far back.

Give it a try before you start buying different releases, it might save you some $$ and time

(Just based on my limited knowledge, true expert opinion will supercede mine of course.) ;)

Cheers

Well put Ike. BTW - what, or who, constitutes "true expert opinion"?

The picture of the Winn release is a pretty good indicator of where the release should sit in your hand. When you draw the bow back, the natural weight and pull of the bow will make the release extend right into the proper shooting position. Oh yeah...there is no proper position. Just a position that feels comfortable, and is repeatable for you.

I trigger my release with the second crease on my index finger - which is the second joint. My release head lays just at that second joint when I hold my hand out, but at full draw the weight or pull of the bow makes the trigger line up perfectly with that joint. It's comfortable. definitely repeatable, and it's reliable in that it works the same way every time.

TheProvider
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
scotts shark release, absolutely love it, evertime its a surprise, i've had release before that had a lil "creep" in them but I'm very haooy with this one

Bow Walker
12-29-2011, 11:12 AM
I've tried quite a few different release styles and types. Below is my release of choice - and has been for a long time. It's perfect for shooting compound bows with a D-loop.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Fletcher_Fletch_Hook_1.jpg

Ike
12-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Hey there BowWalker,

There are some very knowledgeable people on this board, but I am not one of them.
The comment was a compliment to you, BowZone Mikey and the others who really know their stuff and can be called experts. I have only been into archery again for a couple of seasons and am still a hack gaining the experience to support what I read and learn....it's coming but still a long way off. You guys have that knowledge and experience.

BTW: I like the Fletcher releases for the money
Cheers

BCHoyt
12-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.. Ill have another try at it when I get home for the weekend... Been working outta town every week for the past 6 weeks... Only have weekends home at the moment..

Sideofabarn
12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Not sure if it would be too short for you or not, but I have had a Tru Ball Short 'n' Sweet release for the past couple of years and love it. Each to their own of course, but it's one I use and recommend. They are adjustable if you have big mitts...

Bow Walker
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey there BowWalker,

There are some very knowledgeable people on this board, but I am not one of them.
The comment was a compliment to you, BowZone Mikey and the others who really know their stuff and can be called experts. I have only been into archery again for a couple of seasons and am still a hack gaining the experience to support what I read and learn....it's coming but still a long way off. You guys have that knowledge and experience.

BTW: I like the Fletcher releases for the money
Cheers
My question was a poke at myself - since I don't consider myself to be ant sort of expert at all. I just like to tinker, adjust, and get the best out of my equipment that I possibly can - but thanks for the compliment.

...another poke at myself....Maybe it's just that I have a mouth that tends to run off?

I think BZM has the edge in knowledge, imo.

BCHoyt
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Well I think I may need some in person help with the release to show me how it should be set up for my hand...

Superdeuce
12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I prefer a buckle over velcro for wrist strap due to both noise and consistency of anchor point. I like the hook style release with a d-loop as quick and easy to slide it on without looking which is nice when concentrating on an animal. I also like the rod over a nylon strap as just feels better for me but a lot of guys prefer the strap so they can tuck the release head up under their cuff out of the way and some claim strap reduces over gripping/torque issues. Anyhow, I like the Scott Rhino XT with swept back trigger but their are lots of other quality ones on the market too - trueball, wiseguy, carter, etc. - whatever feels best for you.

Bow Walker
12-31-2011, 01:38 PM
I cannot wrap my head around the reasons listed why you prefer a buckle-style strap over a velcro-style.

In my way of thinking a buckle style will slowly stretch out because of the constant pull in the leather, the buckle style never fits as snug as a velcro unless you tighten it up so that it cuts off your circulation, plus a buckle style is stiff and uncomfortable on the wrist (to me anyway).

When hunting or at a 3D, I put my padded, comfortable velcro release on in the morning and take it off when I'm done. Otherwise it stays on all day with never a 'give' or a movement or a slip. I don't see where the advantage is of taking it off and putting it on several times during a hunting trip or a 3D round.

The nylon strap reduces the torque on the string and unless you have a swivel head on the rod. A loose nylon strap lets you tuck the head of the release back up under the wrist strap quite comfortably.

But - then again, each to his/her own.

Ambush
12-31-2011, 03:16 PM
I currently use two releases.
Tru-Ball Short'n Sweet: buckle strap, nylon connector strap {NCS} trigger forward, open hook.

Scott Saber Tooth: buckle strap, nylon connector strap, trigger forward, open hook.

I much prefer buckle over velcro after having a number of each. I find that the velcro cuffs, develope a "set" where you fold them. The buckle is also less bulky.

Bow Walker;
I'm not sure why you would have to take a buckle strap off more often than a velcro strap. But as you say "to each his own".

And as others have said, don't handi-cap yourself with a cheap realease, that will almost for sure have to be replaced.

BCHoyt
12-31-2011, 03:27 PM
I think I may go with something that has a nylon connector strap as it would give me more movement options... Now my other question is caliper style or hook? which do you prefer and why?

StoneChaser
12-31-2011, 05:51 PM
I currently use the Tru Ball Short'n Sweet as well (Leather Buckle strap w/nylon connector strap).

I've shot the caliper style, but prefer the hook release and definately like a leather wrist strap w/buckle over velcro/nylon straps.

Best advice would be to find an archery shop and find what works BEST for YOU.

Good luck

Bow Walker
12-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Yup. Best advice is to try both styles and see which one you like better.

I've tried many releases - both styles, and for me it is the velcro strap type of release. But that's just me, I guess.

Ambush - I don't see the reasoning behind taking off an putting on a release more than once through the day at all. Put it on at the beginning and take it off at the end. No noise, no fuss, and no bother. Some have said that taking off and putting on a velcro release is noisy - yeah, maybe the first time, but why remove and replace it throughout the day?

BCHoyt
01-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Well Ill be heading back to WSS sometime this month to change out the release I bought as well as grab a target and have my arrows cut to length..

Ambush
01-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Ambush - I don't see the reasoning behind taking off an putting on a release more than once through the day at all. Put it on at the beginning and take it off at the end. No noise, no fuss, and no bother. Some have said that taking off and putting on a velcro release is noisy - yeah, maybe the first time, but why remove and replace it throughout the day?

I must be just miss-understanding you. Why would you have to take off a buckle strap during the day?

But in the end, they make both kinds because there is no "winner" just a person's preference.

Bow Walker
01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
The big nock against velcro straps seems to be the 'noise' when they are taken off. I don't understand why it needs to be taken off while either hunting or 3D-ing. If it it put on right in the first place, it can be worn all day without any discomfort.

But you're right. It is merely a matter of choice/preference.

tshort
01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I love my cobra release it is so smooth and easy try looking at there selection.

hunter1993ap
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=Bow Walker;1053758]The big nock against velcro straps seems to be the 'noise' when they are taken off. I don't understand why it needs to be taken off while either hunting or 3D-ing. If it it put on right in the first place, it can be worn all day without any discomfort.

But you're right. It is merely a matter of choice/preference.[/

the only time i take my release off is when i have to put more clothes on after i walk and decide to sit. the release makes noise then.thats the only time i take my release off.

Bow Walker
01-06-2012, 11:34 AM
granted - velcro strap releases do make noise when they are taken off. I can usually get my jacket or shirt or gloves on/off over top of my release, without having to take it off. Usually.

I just prefer that style over the belt buckle kind. Sits way easier and much more comfortable on my wrist..........but that's just me talking/typing. :)