PDA

View Full Version : tuning, having some issues

hunter1993ap
12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
i just got a new arrow rest and am trying to tune the bow. i have neve tuned a bow before but ive read up on it and tried to get it shooting good. i put the rest on and made sure its level and started to walk back tune it. ive got it pretty good but i started to shoot a bare shaft afrer and its not going to whell. i am shooting the bare shaft at 20 yards and its about 4 inches to the left and its not hitting the target straight. it gets about 15 yards and swerves left. what should i expect when i shoot a bare shaft. i'm getting a good group with the rest just as good as my last rest but the bare shaft isnt going whell.

RoscoeP
12-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I am sure help will be on the way soon. Good luck

Bow Walker
12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
When I install a new rest the first thing I do is to step back, while the bow is still in the vice [or hold it out at arms length], and "eyeball" it to make sure that the prongs or arrow support arm(s) line up with the string. By that I mean - with the bow in a vertical position the string should be right down the middle of the arrow rest. It's called "center-shot" and unless it is lined up correctly your arrows will be flying all over the place.

Another good way to check center-shot is to nock an arrow while the bow is in the vice [and is leveled properly] have the arrow rest in the "up" position, then stand back and look down the arrow. Adjust as necessary so that the string runs right down the center of the arrow, from nock to tip.

After adjusting your center shot - nock the arrow and put the rest into the "up" position again. Check that the arrow is at 90 degrees to the string. If not, adjust the rest or move the nocking point so that the arrow is at right angles.

Now it's time to got outside and start your Walk-Back tuning....given that everything else is aligned properly. Hope this helps you - if not, I'm sure someone like Bowzone Mikey or Willyqbc will chime in and put us right.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I have to ask ..... what do you expect when you are bareshaft tuning
what equipment are you running

Bareshaft is really only applicible to recurve shooters and compound fingers shooters .....

but lets assume you are shootin fingers .... you say your arrow is going left ... I assume you are right handed... your arrow is a bit stiff

here is a good diagram of what your bareshaft problems would be
http://www.onlinearchery.org.uk/imgs/bare.gif

hunter1993ap
12-29-2011, 11:42 AM
i never held the bow so i'll try that now. thanks. do you line up the arrow with the pins as whell. the pins are a little to the left when i line the string up with the arrow?

hunter1993ap
12-29-2011, 11:48 AM
i was unsure of tuning and the closest bow shop told me that he only tunes arrows with a bare shaft not paper tuning. i dont shoot fingers and i have a hoyt cyber tech. this bow has shot bare shafts before quite whell when the guy from the bow store tuned it. i guess bare shaft tuning doesnt apply to me so i'll just walk back tune it? the arrows seem to be flying really good with the new rest compared to my old two prong rest. its also way quieter.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
LOL ... that makes sense ..... the guy that said that knows enough to be dangerous ... lol .... taking what he has heard from alot of people and putting out of context ....

best way to shoot/tune a compound with a release aid is just as you are doing ... walkback !

hunter1993ap
12-29-2011, 12:01 PM
haha ok thanks. i'll go give it another try and see how it works.

bugler
12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
You could try adjusting your center shot slightly.

Bow Walker
12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Pins, arrow, and string should all be "in-line" before attempting any shooting. It's a starting point - one that will save a lot of frustration.

hunter1993ap
12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
thanks guys. its all lined up and i'm shooting in a line from 20-65 yards. i think its as good as i can get it. i might take it to a bow shop to make sure its all good but i'm pretty confident with it today. its grouping as good as i can shoot at the moment which is about a small dinner plate at 65. thanks again for your help.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-29-2011, 03:35 PM
straight up and down from 20 -65 ... is damn fine ... sounds like you are good to go ..... and will be very happy with your set-up

Bow Walker
12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
A small dinner plate at 65 yards?!? Go get 'em! That's pretty damn good shooting.

hunter1993ap
12-30-2011, 11:32 PM
A small dinner plate at 65 yards?!? Go get 'em! That's pretty damn good shooting.

i'm quite happy with it. i have just got back into shooting quite a bit and my groups are getting better. i love shooting its a lot of fun!!!

hunter1993ap
12-31-2011, 03:19 PM
i just noticed one strand of my power cable is cut. is this an issue. its a fairly new power cable and i dont want to put a new one on already. i tied it to the main string so it wont run the entire lenth. i have been shooting it but i dont want to have an issue, should i buy a new one or just keep shooting it?

Bowzone_Mikey
12-31-2011, 05:37 PM
i just noticed one strand of my power cable is cut. is this an issue. its a fairly new power cable and i dont want to put a new one on already. i tied it to the main string so it wont run the entire lenth. i have been shooting it but i dont want to have an issue, should i buy a new one or just keep shooting it?

Is it cut ... or is it fuzzy? if its cut then replace it ..... It will save you a headache later .... if its fuzzy ... be sure to wax it .... are you certain its not the end tag of the string?

Bow Walker
12-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Yup - if it's cut you gotta replace it. For peace of mind, if nothing else.

You just know that it'll fail at the worst possible time.

hunter1993ap
01-01-2012, 11:43 AM
ok thanks i guess i have to get a new one. i wax the string all the times so its not fuzzy.

dingdongdenny
02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
this site has helped me
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=121