PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in the 20ga

yamadirt 426
12-27-2011, 09:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/tyrante/DSC_0200.jpg
Santa dropped off a 20ga this year with my wifes name on it as well as mine. We shot a few clays yesterday. Ladys first so I let her have first round on the new gun. She did very good as its been a year since last shooting. She keeps making babies so the last couple seasons have been no good for her. But now thats out of the way and we have a boy and now a girl we can start to get serious about our hunting. Its a camo 870 compact pump with the new finish.

Well I don't think the new finish is much better than the last as it will still rust in a day if not oiled and it does not eject hv expert 3" very well but the kent 3" ejected fine. Im hoping its just the break in period. I've yet to pattern the gun and not sure what choke it came with but I did drop a bird at 10yds and another at 25yds with a handfull of missis inbetween and before the first kill. I'm going to finish off the season with it. Just to master a smaller amount of shot. When I switch back to the 12 ga next season I should be a slightly better shot I figure. But I've figured wrong before :wink: My 12ga is a canon about a 12" difference between guns and about 10lbs. I've bagged enough ducks this year not to worry about shooting 1 for 8 for the rest of the season LOL Here is Mater posing with the gun. He was in the truck about 100yds away for todays hunt. Just getting him used to the boom inch by inch.

yamadirt 426
12-30-2011, 10:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/tyrante/DSC_0202.jpg
Another victim of the 20ga on wed. I also took a widgeon yesterday at last light with my 3yr old. It dosent get any better looking up at the sky. Seeing a bunch of ducks and having your boy say "Can we get em Daddy ? " No they are too high buddy. " Get em then ! " he says. Followed by the crack of the 20ga and a bird at hand for my son to carry. "Lets go home now Daddy, Follow me" Allright buddy good job tonight. Sorry no pics on that one , just memories. Correction the only thing that will beat that is when my pup is ready to bring the bird to us. :)

aliagha
12-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Good shooting and a very nice dog! congrats on the new gun.