PDA

View Full Version : Harlis, Squaws, and a Scoter Slam!!

lorneparker1
12-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Lorne

field marshal
12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Lorne; I know my eyes are bad but come on! Let's see "em????:mrgreen:
Cheers----Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
12-27-2011, 09:36 PM
This okay Tony?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/ef8ea12b.jpg

f350ps
12-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Yum Yum, bet ya can't wait for the big Sushi feed hey, you invited CF? K

Crazy_Farmer
12-27-2011, 10:34 PM
That's too funny Kelly. When I got in the "tub" I was told since I was a first timer hunting with them, I either could get the birds mounted or eat them raw on the boat.

Needless to say my taxidermy bill will be epic this month hahahah. Already two Pinnies there now, 4 different species in the freezer wrapped up from today and maybe we'll add a couple more tomorrow

field marshal
12-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Yup!!! That's a SLAM!! Nice going guys!----Field Marshal.

Ian F.
12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Here's how I prepare em...used to make a big batch after a good shoot of eiders back east and feed them to the students on field trips, never had an unhappy customer!

Sea Duck Sammichs....

Start by slicing the breasts into 1/4-3/8" strips

Soak in heavily salted water in the fridge, change the water at least once a day for 2-3 days.

Make a marinade 1 part oil (olive or canola, or mixed) to 2 parts vinegar (split the 2 parts into 1/3rd balsamic, 2/3rds red wine) add garlic, powdered/granules or fresh, your choice a bit of salt and a good measure of black pepper. This is the base marinade, add whatever else you like to it.

Drain and rinse of the breast strips, transfer to the marinade and let them sit overnight minimum...

Now go get some good crusty rolls and cook up so caramelized onions and get a jar of mayo.

Stir fry the stripes HOT till they are still pink in the centre, split bun, toast, slather of mayo, caramelized onions, add cooked sea duck and ENJOY!

Very best,

Ian

PS there are very few bad tasting ducks, there are however a lot of people who can't cook duck!

Crazy_Farmer
01-01-2012, 03:50 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/bc8d5f4e.jpg

Well Ian. I followed the recipe to a tee and it turned out amazing. 2 days in salt water changed twice. Over night in marinade. And cooked up, absolutely no different then any other waterfowl puddle duck I've ate really.

I will say I cooked the onion perfect, they were the best part mmmmmm tasty.

The other thing, I was amazed at how small the breast meat on scoters were, like wigeon sized almost, I guess they don't get huge muscles from flying must have HUGE legs though. I ate pretty much two scoters in one sandwich.

Ian F.
01-01-2012, 08:42 PM
You have done well young Jedi, very very well!

Ian

PS once you get heavy into the whistlers, I'll tell you the trick to cleaning them.....

lorneparker1
01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
is that because you want us to struggle with thme for a while? hahahaha

Crazy_Farmer
01-01-2012, 09:24 PM
I've only ever cleaned maybe 2 goldeneye and if I remember the skin was pretty much stuck to the meat. I ended up just leaving the skin on and cutting the breasts out that way and cooking them up on a pan with the skin like you would any other puddle duck

shotgunjohn
01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
You have done well young Jedi, very very well!

Ian

PS once you get heavy into the whistlers, I'll tell you the trick to cleaning them.....

Please great master master share your wisdom with us. I too have struggled with the whistler.

Tanya
01-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Please great master master share your wisdom with us. I too have struggled with the whistler.

Should that not be "Master Blaster" :mrgreen:

blindman
01-02-2012, 10:50 AM
After trying to breast a Ring Neck, I too figured the skin was glued to the meat! Don't shoot them now.

Ian F.
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
is that because you want us to struggle with thme for a while? hahahaha

success is the journey, not destination....

a sharp knive and good hands you can can skin them off, there is a strip 3/4" wide that runs along either side of the breast bone..."the trick" is to start at the bottom (down by the arm pit) and work towards the keel bone from each side. You still have to skin, but you then have a big piece of skin/feathers in your hands to make life much easier..

Ian F.
01-02-2012, 08:04 PM
After trying to breast a Ring Neck, I too figured the skin was glued to the meat! Don't shoot them now.

Ken ringers are soo tastey! One of the few I pluck the breasts and leave the skin on on purpose, and then fry it crisp with the meat med-rare....YUMMY!

303Brit
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Was a good day, and nice to finally meet CF. We had him biting skulls in the boat, once we dealt with the swell issue on the water.