PDA

View Full Version : Shameful Display

Duck Buster
12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
So last night I went out to an area in Cowichan Bay that is open to hunters. I have been going to this particular spot for a number of years as a nice walk in pass shooting spot for an evening hunt. This area is also a popular walking trail for dog walkers and folks just out for a hike. Over the years I have run into all kinds of folks from friendly to down right rude. The biggest complaint that any of them have had about the hunting in the area is the left over empty shells. I have spent lots of time and effort to pick up all my shells plus the countless others left by fellow hunters. The part of this activity that really gets my goat is the times when I pick up spent "lead" shot hulls from guys who just don't give a shit about what they use to shoot a ducks.

So the meat of the story is last night I was heading into my spot when I noticed 3 guys standing out in the marsh waiting for some birds. They did not strike me as true hunters from the way that they were acting but to each there own. However as I walked along I came across 4 empty 20 gauge 2 3/4 field and trap loads, followed by 8 empty 12 gauge field and trap loads. I know what your thinking maybe they were reloads, but on inspection it is clear that they were fresh shells from a new box of Walmart lead. Not sure who left them I just picked them up and moved on to my spot. After a short time I started to hear the group of guys shooting, 1 12 gauge and one 20 gauge, now I'm thinking I have made a connection and start to watch closely where these guys are shooting and what they are shooting at. The guy with the 20 gauge climbed up on the path and emptied his gun at some birds that were way to high, but again to each there own. I just marked the spot so I could check the empties on my way out. I then watched the guys head over to a branch of the river where you are not allowed to shoot. And I could hear them blasting away at birds on the water, any one of us who has hunted a while knows the differance i sound from a water shot to an sky shot. Again to each there own ground/water shooting is not against the law just not very sporting. But shooting in a no shooting area is. At this point is was getting to the end of shooting light, so I started to head back to my truck, I checked the spot where the guy with the 20 was shooting and sure enough the same type of lead shells were there on the ground. I picked these up as well and made my way out. The three guys were just in front of me and I watched them get into there truck, now knowing which tuck is there's I got the plate number and a vehical description. As soon as I got home RAPP got a call from me, I am still waiting for the CO to call be back, and I can't wait to have a good chat with him.

For years and years the anti's have been trying to shut us down in any and all areas that we have. 99% of us hunters do the right thing and follow the rules, at great expense for these steel shells, and most of us pick up after ourselves. But guys like these are the ones who give us all a bad name and get some of our best hunting areas shut down. I don't know if the CO's can actually do anything to these clowns or even track them down, but I hope so. I know that I did the right thing last night and I hope that we all work as a hunting community to either get guys like these the education that they need or out of the field where they don't belong.

Just thought I would share this with all of you.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and a happy upcoming New Year, lets all pray for rain. To cloudy skies and good shooting Cheers......

Duck Buster

GoatGuy
12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing.

If you've got it a video cam always helps.

Ambush
12-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Did they get any ducks? If so, it's pretty simple for a CO to visit them and inspect the birds for lead.

Duck Buster
12-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Not sure if they actually got any birds, I did not see any go down, however I hope that I CO tracked them down at their homes and checked the birds there. I did not have my video camera with me but I will the next time I head down there.

Island Idiots
12-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't call these a**hats hunters, so likely just shooting and not harvesting. Scum.

popsy
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
way to go. there is no excuse for that kind of crap!!!!

longshot
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Ahhhhhhhh........ I bet those trap loads didnt even reach the ducks they were shooting, at your described distance lol. My dad and I went for a walk at the bay one afternoon just to see the "field" as we rarely hunt it anymore.... and we were shocked finding all these trap loads at the old "blind"!?!? We have even found spent slugs at the end of the terminal road.

Apparently its hard to pick up spent shells?? I guess that makes us superheros?? NO! Its just regular practice! Shooting in a no shooting zone is just simply stupid... and shooting lead at ducks deserves a good kick in the ass. We have even seen hunters shoot at swans at the bay!

I am happy though that those blinds in the "field" are torn down, as people would rain pellets on the road and dog walkers all day long! Who sets up a blind facing a road 180 yards away anyway?? And just because its there clueless and careless hunters use it <facepalm>.

Sure people are allowed to hunt and shoot whatever distance they want.... but I dont think its too much to ask for people to be ethical, responsible, and obey the law!!

Longshotjr.

field marshal
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Good job Jamie!! I'll call Kim Brunt in Nanaimo tomorrow and see if he can get our local C.O. to investigate!!! Cheers----Field Marshal.

Duck Buster
12-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks Tony, and give him my number I will be more than happy to chat with any C.O regarding this matter...