PDA

View Full Version : Lost Moose

Busterbrown
12-26-2011, 09:31 AM
This was one of those events in life that I believe may have had an bad ending if I had done things differently.

On evening of day three on a ten day moose hunt in 7-52 , a very nice bull was making his way down to the bottom of the valley . I picked up my pack and headed to a spot where I could get a shot at him . After about 10 minutes he comes into view at the bottom ,quickly ranged him at 417 yds . I had spent many days at the range over the summer getting ready for this moment.At the sound of the blast the moose stumbles but is walking away from me, another one in the chamber, get a nice rest and again at the blast he stumbles but this time piles up against a group of small alpine shrubs.

My hunting partner calls me on the radio and begins to make his way over .We then headed down and began the process of cleaning him before it got too dark.

I am always amazed at how big these things are when they are on the ground. I tied his front and rear legs to the trees to keep him proped open for the nite, as we would have to leave him over nite and come back with the horses in the am. Bad plan

We arrived back at camp at approx 20:30 to find out the other two hunters in camp had shot a moose earlier in the day. They managed to get half of it out and would be going back in the am for the rest.The plan for the next morning was to get the half moose out and meet me at the ridge top at 0900 to go down for mine.

My partner and I climbed up to the ridge to wait for the packer to arrive with the horses. At that point my partner said he would head farther up the ridge and meet us at the moose when he sees the horses arrive.

As it began to get light I was looking at were the moose should have been but it did not look right,I had hung a t-shirt on a bush which was still there but the carcass looked to be moved. I rationalized that as it was dark when we cleaned it I was mistaken as to the location. It looked to be tucked into the trees more than it was. The packer suggested to me NOT to go down until they arrived.
After waiting for an hour, I decided to head down and begin the skinning process .After picking up my pack I began to head down to the moose, I heard a gunshot from the direction my partner had gone. He radios me that he has one down. I changed my plan and headed for his location. We quickly gutted him and headed back to meet the horses.This is when the fun started
While approaching the moose this grizzly bear came charging out of the bush full speed at the horses, a couple of quick shots into the ground sent him running away a little but then he charged again. At this point ownership of the moose transfered hands. One of the guys in camp took this video from a distance. You can see the bear has a problem moving the moose as he was tied to the tree by two legs. Every morning we would climb up to the ridge to see where the bear was, sometimes he was eating ,sleeping or just standing there but he was never more than 50 yards away.

I was disappointed to loose the moose but we saw some amazing bear activity which I will post in another thread. I still try and imagine what would have happened if I went down alone as I had no idea he was there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJi2tDkyTbQ

Ddog
12-26-2011, 09:42 AM
wow, good thing your partner shot one eh, things happen for a reason glad your still here to post.
cheers..D

12-26-2011, 09:51 AM
So many grizzlies up north...it's a wonder more hunters don't get into trouble with them.

swampthing
12-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Exciting stuff. Huntin in grizz country always adds "on edge" factor. Good on ya for lettin the bear have it and not fighting over it.

12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Good to see your all right, tough loss to loose the moose but better to still be here.
On the shirt in the shrubs. It was pointed out to me years ago by another packer that works that area, if you ever leave a carcass in Griz country, actually take a shirt, flag tape or what ever on a long stick and ram it straight into the gut or carcass sticking up as if a bear is on it is easy to detect, rather then a bush or tree nearby. Just a suggestion.

CT

fearnodeer
12-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Good thing you partner called you away, i take it the Grizz got your shirt too.

nature girl
12-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Good thing your partner called you away to help him with his moose. Your one lucky guy.
I hunted in 7-52 a few times and yes it is beautiful country. Its sad you lost your moose but it definately wasnt a wasted trip. You had great friends and wonderfull scenery.

MIL720
12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Your packer knew better than to let you go in alone...Take his advice next time and wait. Glad to hear things worked out for you..

Steeleco
12-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Good to hear you made the right choice. I was involved in a moose recovery that took till 2am high up in Reg6. There were 4 of us, but it was still the craziest 6 hours in the bush I've every had.

Them big furry meat stealer's sure humble us bipedal creatures don't they!!

Darksith
12-26-2011, 12:04 PM
yeah, you couldn't of done anything differently other than attempting to get the animal out in the night, but the bear was coming as soon as you fired your gun, and you don't want to have that encounter at night. You can't beat yourself up over something like that, it happens more often than you think. Glad you didn't end up buried in a pile of moss.

gcreek
12-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Glad you made it out of there unscathed.

For sake of conversation, other than the possible charges from the COs, why wouldn't a person shoot a bear that has obviously been trained to come to a gunshot? The next guy might not be so lucky and have it come in while gutting an animal out.

At our recent cattlemen's assoc. meeting, the CO made comment that a person in Bella Coola shot a grizzly sow and two yearlings because they had killed a chicken and what a terrible thing it was. One of the local ranch wives stated that apparently the CO didn't own the chicken.
If it had been a mink, coyote or fox that had been shot for killing the chicken it would not have been a discussion point. My thoughts are "What is the difference?" Just because it was a grizzly it is supposed to be treated differently?

Public opinion has put bears way above what reality actually is.

ianwuzhere
12-26-2011, 03:46 PM
glad to hear that nobody was hurt-consider yerself lucky i suppose.
need to get a few grizz tags ;)

40incher
12-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey. I swore an oath the other day. I will never buy even one more can of Coca-Cola since they have turned their cans white to support the "endangered" Polar Bear. They are about as endangered as BC Grizzly and Black Bear, or the sacred Kermode for that matter.

We can all do our part to bring some sense back. Everyone today is so affected by the false and disingenuous BS that it boggles the mind. If this mindest does not change soon we will be eating government-regulated tofu and lovin' it!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the fact that the world's population is growing as fast as they can all boink each other`s brains out has nothing to do with it. So let's make BC ``California North``, that will solve all the guilt-ridden yuppies problems.

Hunting is ``the`` time-proven conservation model for us all. It`s time to stand up and quit being apologists.

Humans are are not equal to a pig, or a chicken or a chunk of algae...... PETA-think is on the way out I hope.

hunter1947
12-27-2011, 02:18 AM
It sucks loosing your moose to the Grizzly but its better you loose the moose then you loosing your life nice video clip of the bear ..

bowhunterbruce
12-27-2011, 04:35 AM
although ya lost a great creature and that sucks.at least nothing went to waste.
i too lost a moose a few years back.i shot it and it ran across a rain swollen river.i watched it expire on the far bank at the edge of the willows.not having any kind of floatation devices with me ,i opted to drive all the way home for a canoe and more rope.upon my return some 7 hrs later only to find a grizz on my kill.i was pissed to say the least but i couldn't do any about it nor could i have done anything different.
as luck would have it though ,i ended up getting one the next day and dropped him almost instantly.was able to even get him in the truck whole.
glad your still here and thanks for the video
bhb

The Dude
12-27-2011, 05:04 AM
At our recent cattlemen's assoc. meeting, the CO made comment that a person in Bella Coola shot a grizzly sow and two yearlings because they had killed a chicken and what a terrible thing it was. One of the local ranch wives stated that apparently the CO didn't own the chicken.
If it had been a mink, coyote or fox that had been shot for killing the chicken it would not have been a discussion point. My thoughts are "What is the difference?" Just because it was a grizzly it is supposed to be treated differently?

Public opinion has put bears way above what reality actually is.

Um, cuz it's three Apex predators vs a ****ing chicken?!!??
I dunno, that might be a starting point.
I have no problem shooting problem Grizz, but c'mon, three Grizz get snuffed for ,less than a snack pack?

gcreek
12-27-2011, 08:13 AM
One chicken first, then the rest of the flock, then the fruit trees, then the house? If a bear moves into your place it is now theirs.

On the other hand, if the local population is leaving you alone, give them the same consideration. They are keeping others that may be problems out. Most bears are just like kids, it is only a matter of time before they get themselves into trouble.

In other words Dude, you are saying that if a crackhead stole something from you, you would report the robbery but if a bike gang came in and trashed your place you would say nothing?

Gateholio
12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Killing a grizzly may be necessary to protect livestock, but it is still a shame and cannot be compared to killing a coyote. Coyotes are prolific breeders, grizzlies are not.

ROEBUCK
12-27-2011, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Busterbrown;1049450].We then headed down and began the process of cleaning him before it got too dark.

I am always amazed at how big these things are when they are on the ground. I tied his front and rear legs to the trees to keep him proped open for the nite

glad you made it home safe !
personnally id be more surprised if a bear had NOT found your moose.
laying there opened up with the guts out !
cool video thanks for posting !