PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat K.I.A

Brambles
10-03-2006, 12:00 PM
So I got drawn for a goat tag here Region 4. Sept 30 I head up scouting for goats and for the morning and early afternoon I came up empty handed. I decide to try a different drainage which just so happened to be on the other side of the mountain I was hunting. I Hike 5 kms into the new valley and find a lone billy on the mountain. He's fairly far away still and its getting dark fast so I watch him until 6:00 pm and start hiking back to the truck. That evening I call my brother and he volunteers to cancel his sheep trip to help me go get the goat. He gets off night shift on the morning of Oct 1 and we start the 2 hour drive to the trail head.

At 9:00 am we start hiking into the valley and by 11:20 we covered the 5 kms and are watching the goat on the mountain across the valley. He beds down almost immediatly and we lose sight of him in the brush. He's about 2 kms away and we decide to start hiking up to him to cut the distance and get a closer look at him. The terrain was rugged and we had to scale some cliffs to get up to a higher plateau that was below the goat.

At 12:50 we get to the plateau and start trying to locate him, after some time spotting we were unable to see the goat and so we decided he was still there but not visible in his/our current location. We check the wind and start the final leg of the stalk, to keep the wind in our favor we had to circle around and come out on top of the goat, unfortunalty it also took us throught he scariest SH&T you have ever climbed through, if you slip you will DIE, no question about that, the cliff from hell. After about an hour and a few close calls we come out of the cliffs and find ourselves on some rolling slide shutes.

We start working our way over to were we think the goat should be. Even thought the goat had been bedded since 11:00 am and it was now 3:00 pm he was still there, my brother spotted him 82 yards below us. As I was preparing for the shot he gets up and starts to run, he goes out of sight but because its rolling shutes he has to come out and over one last shute before he's gone for good. I stand there ready to fire when he shows himself and about 30 seconds later there he goes trying to make his escape. We are above him and he's running straight away so I shoot and hit him in the spine stopping his accent and reducing his hind legs to just baggage, he starts going down the way he came. We run over to were he was making his way down the slide shute and finish him off.

He's a good billy with 9 1/2 inch horns and I scored him at 47 4/8 which just qualifies for the Boone & Crockett awards minimum.
This hunt was hell on the body and my knees and legs are very sore, I have hiked over 60 kms throught the mountains this year already, maybe even more and this is the first time my legs have been stiff. The cliffs were insane and when I got home I hugged my wife. She doesn't know how close she was to being a widow

Here are some photo's

First plateau looking back the way we came, we spotted him from the far side. This plateau is also on top of the first set of cliffs, you can sort of see how it just drops off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0916.jpg

More terrain
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0915.jpg

The bluffs that the goat was on looking from the Plateau, the goat was on the second green finger from the left and we hiked the cliffs on the far right. Trust me the pictures don't do it justice
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0914.jpg

My Prize

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0922.jpg

mainland hunter
10-03-2006, 12:23 PM
nice lookin goat, way to go. what are you gonna do with him

JohnS
10-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Congrats On the Nice Goat Jeff It'll make a nice wall mount......and one for the record's too ***Cheers!!!****

rocksteady
10-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Awesome goat....I still have a tag for the W.K. but not sure when I am going to try for it....

Been there done that, feel your pain......Nothing that a cooler full of cold beer, bottle if Advil and retelling the story 100 times, can't get rid of though...

Approx. what MU?? If you don't mind..

steepNdeep
10-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Way to git'er done! Yep them goats live in vertical country... I bet that beer never tasted sooo good. :D

dana
10-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Congrats on the nice looking billy!

Gus
10-03-2006, 02:26 PM
awsome billy, sounds like quite the hunt

Brambles
10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Approx. what MU?? If you don't mind..

My draw was for 4-18.

Will
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Great Billy !8)
I'd say you earned that one;)

Sieg-MM
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Simply put.... just beautiful! Congrats

300H&H
10-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a great hunt. And you even got a awsome billy. Cool pics ! Congrats.

goathead
10-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Nice billy Brambles.There is nothing easy about getting A goat its just plain hard work but very rewarding congrats to you and your partner.

PGKris
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Man, one more story like yours and I'm gone. Dang. That sounds like my kind of hunt. Nice job.
Kris

Timbow
10-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for sharing your story and that's a nice looking goat. Hats off to your brother for giving up his sheep hunt to assist you. Those are the types of memories that will last a lifetime.

Tim

Brambles
10-03-2006, 09:14 PM
I will also add that Sept 30 I hiked 12 kms trying to find the goat and then next day Oct 1 we hiked 14 kms to go get him. The Oct 1 hunt took 12 hours. He is VERY good eating, pre-rut goat is fantastic. So far anyways, I've only eaten tenderloins and backstraps. I guess we'll find out for sure when I get to the front shoulders!!!!:lol: The rifle used was WAY to heavy to pack but we were actually counting on a longer shot so I took it, my Remington Sendero SF 300 ultra mag, its my baby but It got banged up on the rocks a bit, beauty marks I guess. I like to take care of my rifles but I figured I'm not going to risk falling from a cliff trying to prevent some scratches, so I let it happen. One things for certain, every time I see the scratches I WILL remember the hunt8-)

I did also manage to loose my footing while scooting down a steep grassy shoot and "MAN DID I PICK UP SPEED". I probably slid 30-40 feet and it felt like I was on a Bobsled, luckily I didn't tag a rock with my ASS but I did manage to tear up my wrist and wear the skin down to the meat in a few spots trying to us my hands as brakes. I managed to collide with a lone alder bush, good thing because I was headed straight for some larger rock. The kind that would tear up a mans special spots, if you get my meaning.:oops:

Definitly a hunt of a life time, next goat hunt I'll be packing some rope and wearing leather gloves. Please learn from my mistakes, when you goat hunting take rope and leather gloves, PLEASE..

Later
Brambles

lapadat
10-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Brambles.

Great story. My goat hunt this year didn't work out too well, but I'm hoping next year will bring better results.

Nice billy

Lapadat

PS: what bullet were you shooting?

Brambles
10-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Brambles.

PS: what bullet were you shooting?

180 gr nosler partition.

bigwhiteys
10-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Awesome story and a great Billy. I drew goat in the Terrace region and it's good till Feb. We shall see if something transpires in Jan. I would love to get a nice long haired billy.

Great Job!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

elkster
10-03-2006, 11:26 PM
awesome goat. Judging by the story, you deserve him. great looking country.

Mik
10-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Congrats, Anyone who has hunted goats knows the pics do no justice for the terrain.
I nailed one myself this year, will post pics later.

The Hermit
10-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Man I'd love to do a hunt like that some year before I'm too old. Well done!

Jagermeister
10-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Those scratches on the rifle are like notches in the six-shooters, they commemorate a memorable event, a reminder of your saga. When Your grandson asks, "How did that scratch get there Grampa?" You'll have a helluva tale to tell him.
An entertaining and informative tale Brambles, thanks for sharing your experience and the pictures. Oh, nice goat too.

Thunderstix
10-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Awesome story and pics! I know what you mean about the body pain.