PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Best LifeProof Camera

lawlu
12-24-2011, 08:54 PM
This boxing day doesn't seem to be a big deal this year. I do however need a new waterproof, shockproof, yada yada proof camera. I have narrowed it down to the Nikon AW100, the Panasonic TS3 or the Sony TX10. Anyone have first hand info on these?

snareman1234
12-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Canon has a great model called "tough" I have honestly put mine through hell...the paints chipped, the are chunks of the aluminum missing, and the paint on buttons have all worn off....still takes Great photos despite the abuse!

Ozone
12-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I have a Olympus Tough 6020 that works exelent for me. I dont even think twice about shoving it underwater and has taken many drops also.

mark
12-24-2011, 09:44 PM
I dont think anything electronic is good for life anymore......the "best of the best" today, will be outdone by a $99 camera in 3 years from now.

lawlu
12-25-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm partial to Panasonics as I have had others in the past, but have not tried the waterproof one. I tend to over-research my purchases though.

BCHoyt
12-25-2011, 06:07 AM
I have the Fuji XP and its been a great camera so far.. have dropped it, had it under water, in snow, and dusty dry places... Still works like a charm!

Rub
12-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I have the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW, for about three years now. Waterproof and shockproof, its been around the world and never let me down.
Rob

wsm
12-25-2011, 10:16 AM
i have always used olympus . i have sz10 right now and love it . had a uz560 loved it till i drove away with it on my bumper and couldnt find it . that 560 took a lot of abuse dropped it a few times . slipped into a creek with it on my hip, took good pictures up until i lost it

Moose63
12-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I buy a disposable camera. They are light weight and you don't care if you lose it or it gets lost.
Picture quality is good too.

lawlu
12-25-2011, 01:21 PM
As I see it so far... votes are as follows.

1 Disposable
1 Canon
1 Fuji
3 Olympus

So far the Olympus is ahead, albeit different models. Let's hear from some more HBCers...

seatoskymiles
12-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I have the new Olympus Tough, and it comes with a GPS stamp so when u take a photo you can have a location on where and when you took it, you do have to wait a bit for it to ind the sats. but tough and not afraid to drop it if I'm rocky trail or standing in a river

Singleshotneeded
12-25-2011, 04:39 PM
The best pics are from the Sony and the Panasonic Lumix, the Sony a bit sharper, the Lumix a bit truer.
The Sony touch screen controls, however, can't be adjusted in the rain...daft design for a waterproof camera!
The Lumix also has GPS marking for photos, a great idea...

lawlu
12-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks Singleshotneeded. Did you see this firsthand re image quality or did you see this in a review somewhere?

buford19
12-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Pentax was just rated number 1 for waterprooof cameras, for 2011. Tough as nail I guess.

KB90
12-25-2011, 11:31 PM
We've got the Pentax Optio W90, awesome camera a year old now, if I were you I'd be looking at the new Pentax Optio WG1

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-1_GPS_Green

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/products/407_1314749783-1307190855_optiowg1gpsgreen_large.jpg

Singleshotneeded
12-26-2011, 01:34 AM
I have a friend that works at a large camera store, and I tried both, as well as reading reviews online.
Because of the non adjustability of the Sony when wet I went with the Lumix. It's pics are as good
as the non weatherproof cameras and miles ahead of the Pentax W60 which I also own. The Sony
images were sometimes a tiny bit sharper, as I mentioned, but the Lumix's images are truer.
I also like the GPS feature, and a weatherproof camera should be adjustable in the rain...seriously! :-)
The Sony I thought was the nicest looking camera, you can use it at a social event without anyone
knowing it's an outdoors type camera, and I might've gone with it except for it's non adjustability when wet.

Elkaddict
12-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Well timed thread. I dropped a Lumix TZ3 from about 2ft still cased, and now she's caput:icon_frow. Have to look for something a little more durable this time.

Singleshotneeded
12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Well check out the Sony and Panasonic Elkaddict, and pick one. The Sony's pics are a tiny bit sharper,
the Lumix Tough's are a bit truer, and the Sony has to be set for the mode you want in the dry before
you get it wet. The Lumix has GPS marking, and the Sony is nicer looking...pick one! :-)

Grizzlydick
12-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I have been using the Pentax Optio W10 it has been awesome and was rated back then very high. What i liked was the fact that u could see the screen in the sun, the olympus was not as user friendly for sunny days.
When the time comes to replace the pentax, i will be looking at them first.
A very good site is DP Review lots of good info....................my .2

wsm
12-26-2011, 03:09 PM
why dont u ask guy for a coulpe of their best pics and ask what they are using for a camera. and remember that some guys may be better @ taking pictures . (photography)

redthorn
12-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I got the Nikon AW100 this last year and love it. I did read a bunch of reviews before I did and am very happy i did. It has a fast enough processor that you can take video for up to a half hour(if the camera's RAM memory is too small, a camera can only shoot video for a few minutes at a time until it has to "backup" all the accumulated data to the memory card. So even if it can hold a long vidoe on the card, it might have to be made up of 2 minute chunks. Not so good for filming a stalk.)

I used the camera and video camera underwater while spearfishing this fall, and the video(including the sounds) and pics are sharp. I can't remember which one I was comparing it with, but the greater the depth it can go underwater, the better the seals. This one was one of the deepest rated.

I used the camera and video in the field this fall, and they worked great.

With all these cameras, the biggest thing going against them is the amount of zoom. Since they are waterproof, most are only 5x since they need to stay sealed inside the casing. So you won't get great pics of that huge animal on the far hillside...

338 whisper
12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
The Nikon Aw100 is an awsome camersa that is is our secaond camera from nikon the first being the nikon D90. We had the AW 100 in the pool with the kids and it took great pic it a little hard to see underwater if you do not have a face mask on but was still doable. Used this camera for the last part of hunting and it took great pics and in -20 waether it did not freeze up the only problem is the gps suck the life out the rechargable battery so I do not use it mine you I did not buy for the gps any way.

lawlu
01-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Thanks guys. I have narrowed it down to the Panasonic Lumix and the Nikons.... hmm....

Singleshotneeded
01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Another nice thing about the Lumix is that the lens is made by Leica...an excellent lens. Either buy your camera now
or wait a bit, the new improved models are coming out in a few weeks...

Poguebilt
01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Wife has the lumix and loves it and took great pics when we went to London and Paris....

Wrongside
01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Add another vote for the Lumix. I've used my TS2 for a couple years now as my 'hunting camera' and am happy with it. It's waterproof, tough, works in the cold, battery life is very good. And... it takes good pictures...:-D

Smithers
01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Canon D10 hands down. Had a Pentax Optio for a number of years, worked good, but i found the format pentax uses to upload and process pictures a little less universal and less likely to work on any computer. Canon uses common formats to store pictures and video, making uploading and processing quicker and less stressful. Canon also uses a higher speed processer in their cameras, which when coupled with a decent grade sd card, takes pictures quickly. Focuses quick, quick shutter (adjustable), stores quick, and quick review of photos. nothing worse then missing a great shot waiting for your camera to focus correctly. Great battery life also. I got my canon a year ago and still looks and opperates as if it were new. Its survived 3 months of australia, which included alot of abuse. Stood up in the pack of some tougher hikes, takes great underwater pictures (in salt water nontheless). has also come hunting with me everytime this year and never let me down.
Just my 2 cents and observations.
I'm currently looking to upgrade to a high grade dslr but will never get rid of my d10!

porcupine
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
My wife gave me a Fujifilm XP for Christmas and I wasn't happy with the quality of the pictures. I did some research and just traded it in and bought a Nikon AW100. The Panasonic is the toughest of them all, but the Nikon takes much better (sharper) pictures. Previoulsy I was usuing a Pentax Optio WP, which took very good pictures, but it did not have vibration reduction and I took a bunch of pictures over the years that were blurry due to unsteady hands. I get excited after shooting game and lost some real good shots. I did some experimenting with the Nikon today and would reccomend it over the others, assuming money is not a consideration.

Singleshotneeded
01-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Another plus I forgot to mention, Lawlu, is that the Lumix has a night mode allowing the shutter to stay open
long enough(8/15/30 secs) to take pictures at night that look good. The Nikon can't take good night pictures,
as the shutter will only stay open for four seconds at the most. This might be corrected by Nikon in the 2012
model, of course. Photographyblog.com is another site where you can find a comparative review of the Nikon
and the Panasonic...of course they're the models that are now discontinued. I'd wait to buy the new 2012 model
of whatever camera you decide on, they're improving with every new model.

Wrongside
01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
The Panasonic is the toughest of them all, but the Nikon takes much better (sharper) pictures.

Nikon's are/can be great cameras. But sharper pictures than the Leica lensed Panasonics?

Singleshotneeded
01-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Photographyblog.com has pics from both the Nikon and Panasonic, judge for yourselves...I'd say the Panasonic's look a wee bit better.