PDA

View Full Version : Dall Sheep

Apolonius
12-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Any one out there with some info on Dall sheep hunting?I know it is LEH.Logisticks,costs,ways to do it?Bc to yukon fly back to Bc?Any input will be appreciated.

digger dogger
12-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Where ya headed from?

12-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Ask Kenny J ....... the guy rocks !

CT

kennyj
12-24-2011, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=curly top;1048525]Ask Kenny J ....... the guy rocks !
Wow! Thanks Curly, but I don't rock, I just put in a lot of time and get lucky once in a while.
CT[/QUOT
About the Dalls, the odds are bettor in 6-28 but its pretty much flyin only. 6-29 has hike in access and a higher success rate, but harder to draw a tag.
kenny

srupp
12-24-2011, 03:17 PM
lol nothing gets my interest more than a Dall sheep discussion.....maybe the next tat draw will see success...blew the first chance...big time...

admire Kennyj and his achievements...

srupp

Apolonius
12-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi thanks guys.I know the odds aren't good for the draw but if you don't try you don't win.And it is not good to apply and not being able to go.Thats the reason i ask about logistics.If i can't afford it why take someone else's chance.I live in Langley so it is quiet a drive to go....although i have done the stone and some more.I also go solo....55 years young.

ryanb
12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
The drive is so long that flying up to whitehorse then finding some way down to the highway (assuming 6-29) is definately worth looking into...especially if solo since you will bear the whole cost of the drive.

Rackmastr
12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
This is a hunt that I simply cant wait for when I get to BC. Although draw odds arent amazing and hunter success seems pretty low, it just seems like a very cool area to get into and a memorable hunt!

outahand
12-24-2011, 06:26 PM
I Have guided the tatshenshini for a number of yearsand can tell you the sheep are there , you just have to do your research and know where to look, and hunt at certain times of the season, The odds in 6-29 are getting higher every year and tougher to draw , 6-28 is much more reasonable to get drawn in and holds some great rams . The issues with zone 6-28 is access compared to 29. For you eager sheep hunters go early and hire a plane to fly the zone ,expensive but very productive

mfarrally
12-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Any one out there with some info on Dall sheep hunting?I know it is LEH.Logisticks,costs,ways to do it?Bc to yukon fly back to Bc?Any input will be appreciated.

My hunting partner and i both drew tags in 6-29 first time applying last year and flew to white horse then borrowed a truck from a buddies cousin and drove down. it worked out great that way. Finding the ride from whitehorse is the issue. could always do a week rental from a car company in white horse. You would spend the same or more in fuel driving all the way up there.

Although we never saw another hunter in there apparently there were lots. big grizz tracks. and a couple sheep kickin around too.