PDA

View Full Version : How large a hunting party do you prefer?

Moose63
12-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Alone
In pairs
Four
More than four

TheProvider
12-23-2011, 09:40 PM
ALone :D, but I'll have to get some buddies together for hunting trips in the future

pnbrock
12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
alone or with wife ,partners end up more of a headache than worth.it would be nice to find a partner who is as dedicated for bigger hunts,but im not looking that hard anymore.

Tikka270
12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Four hunters max.

frenchbar
12-23-2011, 09:45 PM
i prefer in a pair ..but hunt 90 % of the time alone .

steel_ram
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I just need someone to report me missing, deceased, whatever when the time arrives.

cavebear
12-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Even numbers then brake into groups, allows for some new conversation :)

nap
12-23-2011, 09:52 PM
I hit 4, just becuse when we do boat trips, its nice to have 2 boats, 2 in each boat, safety mostly 4 hours by boat from the pickup things go wrong. Other than just 2.

Moose63
12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Jet boats?

dakoda62
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Hunting local, prefer to be by my self. Any great distance from home I like to have the company of someone.

Darksith
12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
depends on what you mean by a party. Is it a day trip, a long adventure? The more the merrier, lots of ground out there, pretty hard to get crowded in this province. On day trips a group of 2 or 3 is best, if we are in camp for a couple weeks the more the merrier.

Moose63
12-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Doesn't matter on the duration of the trip. Prior to doing this poll, it seemed to me, based on reading other threads, that hunters preferred to hunt alone. My poll indicates the opposite. Personally I find four a good number. We can hunt in pairs and switch up partners on other days or morning\evening hunts. Having a back-up nearby is big safety plus. If I couldn't find a good hunting partner, I probably wouldn't go out or just stick to road hunting.

moose2
12-24-2011, 02:11 AM
We usually have 5 or more at camp , but in most cases we all split up and hunt alone and then meet back for lunch or after dark. If anyone has been successful we all help on retreival, hanging, quartering, clean up and cheese cloth. Once this is done its back to hunting. We find spreading out increases our odds of someone finding the game, once a good area is found we will decide our best options for hunting it. A big party also tends to be more fun for meals and drinks after hunting is done. We all take turns cooking , cleaning and helping with other camp chores, we have all been hunting with each other for so long it all seems to work out well.
Mike

jeff
12-24-2011, 02:37 AM
i prefer hunting with another person ,ive had the same hunting partner for ten years ...dont like hunting alone ..need a drinking partner ,haha

hunter1947
12-24-2011, 04:30 AM
I like as many friends in camp more the merrier makes for lots of fun around the camp..

The Dude
12-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Elk Camp 4-8, depending on the year. (Work etc)
Mulies, 1-3, depending on the MU
Moose 3-5, depending on who we can drag out :D

I generally hunt alone for Mulies, or with my best friend, but even when we hunt "together", you can go your own wayyyyyy, as Fleetwood Mac said. We split up from the truck or ranch, and arrange to meet somewhere far away and share stories.

Buck
12-24-2011, 07:30 AM
For Big Game two is good nice to have company in the evening.We sometimes have 4 or more which is fun as well.
Ducks more the merrier usually 2 0r 3 its a social style of hunting lots of laughs.
Pheasant 2 and 1 or 2 dogs.
I do hunt with my dog alone most of the time but company can be good.

jtred
12-24-2011, 07:56 AM
If it's just a day hunt I like to hunt alone or with just 1 other, but we split up. I find it hard enough trying to move through the bush quietly enough alone, never seen the point of two guys hunting on top of one another unless you're pushing bush. The only exception to this is when I'm hunting with my wife or daughters who are all novice hunters. Then I have them stick very close to me (like 3 feet away). If it's an extended hunting trip up to 4or 5 is ok as long as everyone's in agreement and getting along. Nothing worse than a carefully planned, much anticipated hunt being ruined by one member of the party for whatever reason. Solo backpack hunts are starting to really appeal to me, I just don't have the proper gear yet, not to mention my wife would not be really comfortable with me going out into the mountains alone. She would never stop me from doing it but it would make the trip a bit less enjoyable knowing she is worried at home.

swampthing
12-24-2011, 08:08 AM
I hunt alone but I like to share a camp. When I camp alone I always hunt harder though.

doubled
12-24-2011, 08:21 AM
The more the merrier but I hunt 95% of my time alone. Afterwards it is a good time to spend with buddies around the camp fire. And it is always nice having guys around when something big hits the dirt and the work starts.

scoutlt1
12-24-2011, 08:22 AM
I hunt alone but I like to share a camp. When I camp alone I always hunt harder though.

X2 Camping alone always gets me to bed earlier, wake up earlier, and better eyesight (not so blurry) in the morning :-) Definitely not bad to have a buddy to share camp with...share some of the chores and the fireside chats. I've found that once there's more than 4 in the group I don't enjoy it as much anymore. Part of hunting for me is getting away from people. Alone or with one good hunting partner is best for me.

dabat
12-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Early in the season I prefer only a couple at camp, but as it gets later into hunting season, I like a larger group. Longer nights with more people around the campfire usually means more fun, jokes and stories. Not really an issue early in the season when its usually get back from evening hunt, have a bite and hit the sack. Late in the season when you get back at 5pm from your evening hunt, being alone makes for a very long night.

sarg
12-24-2011, 11:00 AM
I like as many friends in camp more the merrier makes for lots of fun around the camp..
x2 it all way good to have a good time in camp with ur buddy, that where all the memory come from.
sarg

Mik
12-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Usually 5, but only 3 of them are 100 % reliable, the other 2 tag along when work, ( or insert other excuses here),doesnt.(dont), get in the way ;)

hunter1993ap
12-24-2011, 11:51 AM
in pairs. my dad and myself hunt together all year. i dont care for the company of many other people beside him in the bush.

alecvg
12-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I like hunting by myself, but I like to have a couple guys in camp, so when ya have someone to bs with at night, and have someone to help my pack out my meat

Barracuda
12-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Doesn't matter on the duration of the trip. Prior to doing this poll, it seemed to me, based on reading other threads, that hunters preferred to hunt alone. My poll indicates the opposite. Personally I find four a good number. We can hunt in pairs and switch up partners on other days or morning\evening hunts. Having a back-up nearby is big safety plus. If I couldn't find a good hunting partner, I probably wouldn't go out or just stick to road hunting.

how could you get the impression that hunters generally hunt alone by the posts here?

I would say the opposite as most go out on trips with a friend or group unless it is a close to home day trip or a few hours out etc .

Really depends on the type of hunting and the type of situation. even if there is ten guys in camp many will either set out from camp alone or buddy up but they are still hunting with a group.
If you have radios then people will stay in contact so your never really alone.
With hounds its nice to buddy up if you have alot of dogs.

i will hunt alone or with another person /people it really depends on the situation and game.

cloverphil
12-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I've hunted alone many times but it's nice to have some company sometimes, especially when you're a long way from the truck and you start hearing twigs snap, and the hair stands up on the back of your neck . . . . .

Moose63
12-24-2011, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Barracuda;1048485]how could you get the impression that hunters generally hunt alone by the posts here?

I got that impression because there were a lot of posts\comments of hunters having disagreements with their former hunting buddies and preferring to go it alone. Maybe some people hunt alone because they didn't have a choice and gotten to like it. I was curious why guys would hunt alone when there are numerous benefits hunting with someone. I agree that some alone time is good, but it gets stale a few hours after sundown. Maybe the 20 or so that voted "alone" could shed some light.

Barracuda
12-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Groups tend to need like minded people (good or bad, birds of a feather etc)and issues normally arise from either miscommunication or disregard for rules .

A big camp or lots of company is not always a benifit needed or wanted especially if its with the wrong people . slob hunter like slob hunters or people that dont know any better, serious sheep hunters like other serious sheep hunters etc etc

I have hunted alone a fair bit but i hunt with others alot also, you just have to choose the type of person you partner up with .
Its no different then dateing or chooseing your friends in any other social arena

There are those that have been burned by others so they go it alone instead of looking for another partner or the work schedule conflicts with when most have time off etc.

On the other end of the scale their are people that are uncomfortable in thier own skin and cant spend anytime alone so they crave people around them to act as a distraction from themself.

I think you will find most hunters are fairly well rounded and engage in hunting activities that include partnering and group situations and solo situations not just one or the other just like people who fish hike or camp.

If you have low standards partners are easy to come by (again birds of a feather) so i dont think people hunt alone because they cant find some one .

THE BEAST
12-24-2011, 04:57 PM
:mrgreen: i like hunting in four because you will have lots of company and when you slit in to twos you cover more ground but any more you could presure the area to much. :mrgreen:

Str8shooterbc
12-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Just my rifle, my pony and me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpEnsdXwFM

Jelvis
12-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I like to be paired up with another hunter and go in the wilds looking for a nice muley buck, it's fun and if we hunt with another pair of hunters we can split up and then meet at a spot, we would have four stories to hear and that would be awesome.
Jelly( She was the - apple of my eye, a real peach .. with a perfect pear) Laughs