PDA

View Full Version : coyote hunting

ABad
12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Going to go coyote hunting next week. Just wondering what how does a person go about selling the pelt. Who buys them and what needs to be done to them before the sale?
Thank you and Merry Christmas

dukester
12-25-2011, 06:01 PM
wait till you have a few on the ground. . when i was livin in BC u needed a trappers lic, to keep or sell.. what happens between friends is grey area.

Pete
12-26-2011, 09:12 AM
you do need a trappers Lic. to trap coyotes....you do not need a trappers lic. to sell the pelts. A hunting licence and following the regs and you are good to go. I you are going to process the hides, skin, flesh, sew up any holes,wash, dry on the proper boards you can ship them to the fur market NAFA for example. There are several private Fur buyers out there. Important to remember that Royalities must be paid on all fur that is sold. The Schedule is in the Regs in the Trapping section.

ABad
12-26-2011, 11:33 AM
thanks for the input. It looks like my best bet is to befriend a trapper in the Quesnel area. Just to see all that is involved.

Thanks again

brad ferris
12-27-2011, 09:24 PM
there's some good info on the nafa website on how to properly put up a pelt. also furharvesters has a good site. the north cariboo trappers assoc. is the quesnel local. the next meeting is in january some time. i think coyotes averaged 60$ last year . try keep the blood out of the fur and dont let them freeze to the bed of your truck.

REMINGTON JIM
12-27-2011, 09:33 PM
you do need a trappers Lic. to trap coyotes....you do not need a trappers lic. to sell the pelts. A hunting licence and following the regs and you are good to go. I you are going to process the hides, skin, flesh, sew up any holes,wash, dry on the proper boards you can ship them to the fur market NAFA for example. There are several private Fur buyers out there. Important to remember that Royalities must be paid on all fur that is sold. The Schedule is in the Regs in the Trapping section.

There is prob not another man around who has trapped - skinned - fleshed - sewn etc etc the amount of yotes this man has- one of the all time best trappers in BC ! Keep at it Pete ! Jim

Moose63
12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Is there a market for raccoon fur? There are many raccoons that are pests in my neighbourhood. Maybe set up a trapline on my city property ;)

Pete
12-28-2011, 06:34 PM
There is a market for Raccoon fur however there are several precautions that you have to take. Always wear gloves. Raccoons carry a very nasty roundworm that is transferable to humans. Never brush your fur in a confined area. The cysts of this roundworm can become airborne entering your lungs or sticking to the moisture on your eyes. Go to the CDC (Center for disease Control) website for more information. They are skinned the same way you would do a coyote. However for the first timer fleshing these guys is a very daunting task. They are really fat and greasy and it takes some skill to process the hide properly. For all your efforts you might get $15-$20 for a good hide and only if it is done right.

WaderGator
12-28-2011, 06:40 PM
I always thought you needed a trappers license. this has me thinking. its for sure more fun that collecting empty cans for a few extra bucks!

Pete
12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
You will make more in the long run with a lot less work. If you are in this part of the world and give me some notice I would be more than happy to show you how which may also add to the fact that Beer can collecting is a lot easier.

finngun
12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
pete---Beer can collecting is a lot easier.///// jaa......but what kind licence need for collecting empty cans?nowdays what ever you hobby is..need licence for licence too ..i guess?

KodiakHntr
12-29-2011, 05:55 PM
i think coyotes averaged 60$ last year.
Seriously?

If that is truly the case then thats the highest they've been in, what, 15 years?

Pete
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Some Coyotes were around the $100 range however most were a lot less than that. I would gladly take a $60 average. It all depends on fur quality and how they were handled. I good piece of fur can be ruined by being mishandled, poor skinning, bad fleshing, holes not sewn, fur not washed, pink bellied, burrs, wrong size of board and not properly dried just to name a few.

ncurrie
12-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Some Coyotes were around the $100 range however most were a lot less than that. I would gladly take a $60 average. It all depends on fur quality and how they were handled. I good piece of fur can be ruined by being mishandled, poor skinning, bad fleshing, holes not sewn, fur not washed, pink bellied, burrs, wrong size of board and not properly dried just to name a few.

are you willing to teach proper techniques Pete?

ABad
12-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the excellent input. I got on the NAFA web site and received a lot of detailed information on the preparation of pelts. I would love to take the trappers class in a few years. New baby depleted the bank account.

Pete
12-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I would be more than happy. I have put out the offer before that I would teach anyone how to put them up properly. It would have to be out of my shop in Vernon

Pete
12-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all the excellent input. I got on the NAFA web site and received a lot of detailed information on the preparation of pelts. I would love to take the trappers class in a few years. New baby depleted the bank account.

You would be more than welcome to join in. I do 1-3 BCTA Trapper Education classes per year not counting Trapline Courses Stay in touch :)