PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

Beard
12-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I have been hunting this season with factory loaded ammo. Just wondering what waterfowler opinions are in terms of reloading. Will it save me alot of money? are lee load all's ok? or should I be looking at a better quality reloader. Is it worth in financially? Just looking for some opinions and perspectives

cheers
Adrian

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2011, 11:04 PM
IMO not worth the effort except MAYBE 3 1/2s

lorneparker1
12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
I have 0 experience in re-loading. However, pretty much every one i know that has reloaded shotgun shells in the past would never do it now. It just doesnt make sense financially and the time/money vs preformance difference isnt worth it.. However, there are benefits to reloading your own rifle cartridges, but thats a whole other can of worms.

12-22-2011, 11:17 PM
l reload for a variety of rifles and handguns, but don't bother with shotgun. May shoot 10 boxes a year and the shot gun ammo l can buy on sale works fine for my uses and is cheap.
Skeet loads are even cheaper for practice.

Crazy_Farmer
12-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Like what everyone has said, for the most part it's just not that good to reload shotshells anymore. I knew it was huge back during lead days becuase it was alot cheaper plus you could load them hot. But now, even shooting a couple cases a season, at 10 bucks a box it's not worth it.

Ian F.
12-23-2011, 08:21 AM
I used to reload steel, LOVED the shells I made, BUT they where MORE EXPENSIVE then buying! It's even harder now that the paranoid USA wont legally allow us to bring components home without huge fees and paperwork. Best thing is to buy by the case, many stores reduce the price by the case, or wait for the annual sales...

Ian

Oh and reloading steel is a pain too, the shot size makes it a PITA

bearhunter338-06
12-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I shoot competitive trap and use to reload. I know some that still do. Now you can buy factory ammo for the same price as reloading your own. I still do reload some special loads. If you do decide to reload do your self a favor and skip the lee Load All and get a Mec loader. You'll thank your self for spending the extra.