PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry ranch - no one home?

Amphibious
12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I have a Bison hunt in area A planned for Jan 5-8, but may have to cancel if I can't get in touch with Glen & Tylene soon. I called over a month ago to confirm a cabin for 4 of us, they said no problem and to call near the end of Dec to shore up the particulars. I have been calling twice a day for the last 2 weeks, and leaving messages without any response or answer. Today's call indicates their Mailbox is full.

anyone have any info on what's happening up there? are there any other options for places to stay? been waiting a long time for this hunt, don't want to see it fall through on the 11th hour.

BiG Boar
12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Perfect, maybe you won't have to pay their fees if they aren't there.

elkdom
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hmmm?,,,,,,maybe phone bill hasn't been paid ? :lol:

Belle
12-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I just got back and they are difficult to contact, keep trying even on the way up. They have several cabins to rent and should be able to accomodate. I ran into the same problem and finaly got in touch when we reached Chetwynd. Make sure to have everything you need before leaving Chetwynd, (fuel, water, food etc) as prices are way to high at the Pink Mountain stores and Mae's Kitchen. Remember to pack drinking water with you as they do not have water available at the Ranch.

Good Luck

Amphibious
12-22-2011, 05:08 PM
thanks for the heads up, but I have to have a cabin confirmed before we leave or the rest in my group won't go. this is my problem.

shallowH2O
12-22-2011, 05:11 PM
give me a shout if it dont work out, Ill tag along on the adventure!!!

thanks for the heads up, but I have to have a cabin confirmed before we leave or the rest in my group won't go. this is my problem.

The Dawg
12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Im gonna be looking for some to go with. My plans fell through- I have the tag, nothing else .

PM me if you can help out.

popsy
12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
hope it all works out guys, would be a shame to lose out on that adventure

Darksith
12-22-2011, 06:14 PM
just tell your group its all good to go, if things don't work out just throw the ranch owners under the bus

scottwh
12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Crazy.. I just tried calling before I logged on here and couldnt get through either.... I have a cabin booked for Jan 1 till I get a buffalo. I have been getting more and more excited every day for this hunt! I dont need any stress now!

meat eater
12-22-2011, 06:45 PM
just go use the cabin an square up with them after!! if they had said it was good before that's what i would do!!( a man must never give up a chance to hunt!!)

Buck
12-22-2011, 06:54 PM
If it's unavailable stay at Pink Mountain motel or Mae's till you figure something out.

BCRiverBoater
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
I just got back and they are difficult to contact, keep trying even on the way up. They have several cabins to rent and should be able to accomodate. I ran into the same problem and finaly got in touch when we reached Chetwynd. Make sure to have everything you need before leaving Chetwynd, (fuel, water, food etc) as prices are way to high at the Pink Mountain stores and Mae's Kitchen. Remember to pack drinking water with you as they do not have water available at the Ranch.

Good Luck

I am assuming you are passing through Fort St. John which is your last stop before heading up past Pink Mountain. There is better selection of goods for groceries and sporting goods. But once you leave Fort St. John then you will not want to buy too much more after that.

snareman1234
12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
There is the Tompters too, He's got a few cabins a few kilometers before the BB ranch

kendoo
12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
We just came back from the ranch & Glen & TYlene were there every day, even made 2 trips back to horse camp. Not sure why they are not answering the phone as we had no problem.
They have about 8 cabins for rent & all were full while we were there. They seem to be trying to run a good operation. Our cabin was OK but had no lights (some are wired but you need your own gen. set.) Also limited cooking pots & utincles, keep trying DO NOT miss out on a hunt of a life time. Only 2 buffs taken the week we were there none others seen & we made 2 trips to the very back end.(Across the river) Just go & good luck.

Marlin375
12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Honestly, it would not really be much of an adventure if at least one of your ducks was not in a row.....I would head up regardless, like others have said you can stay accross the road at Mae's, or even bunk with others if they have your cabin double booked (seriously doubt it) you will all be there for the same reason, and Buffalo hunters are a friendly lot. If you lose the rest of your group, go anyways someone will put up with you, particularly if there is a half a tasty bison in it for them.

lorneparker1
12-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Honestly, it would not really be much of an adventure if at least one of your ducks was not in a row.....

thata boy!

Lorne

Amphibious
12-22-2011, 10:39 PM
If I owned a sled I'd go anyways and sleep in my truck, but I have the tag, group has the sleds ;)

I'll keep trying to get in touch with them

afors
12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
They are pretty good at getting back to you... eventually. They are around, I only had them answer the phone once when I called them every other time they called back. If your cabin is booked, head up and call them all day on your way. Glenn actually called me the morning of my arrival to confirm what time I would be there. My advice is keep trying several times a day and make sure you leave a call back number, preferably your cell so when they do call you get to talk to him. And if you can't get ahold of him, head up, it's a great hunt and adventure, if your party won't head up without a booking find someone else to go with, this may be your only chance, in my opinion worth every penny and problem along the way, and I can't wait to go again.
Rent a sled, 500-700 depends where you go.

12-23-2011, 09:20 AM
They're out chasin moose while shooting from the back of the truck Mexican style, not surprised at all.

Pathetic, they really are not smart enough to see there's some $$$ to be made.

Try the Tompter Ranch ?? I think thats the name of it. Little ma and pop show others have used.

Good luck to you as it is a cool experience.

CT

ufishifish2
12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
If somebody needs help going on the hunt, I may be coerced into going again.
I've got all the equipment necessary for two people including sleds, a trailer, and skimmers.
In January we stayed up there in my camper and were warm and toasty.
Don't let your tag go to waste. It is too good a hunt to let that happen.

srupp
12-24-2011, 01:39 PM
great information and lots of help. well done ladies and gentlemen...

This is THE classic fronteirsman HUNT...would be a shame to miss it.... the tag is there..

Never have hunted this hunt..and read with envy every hunter who has gone and done it bison or not all are successful in just trying.

Good luck..

cheers
Srupp

Apolonius
12-25-2011, 09:55 AM
It is nice to have the cabin but if not just remember there is another guy just before that ranch on the same road.Maybe not even a mile.He builds log homes.Nice guy.He would be happy to accommodate.Last resort Pink mountain and you get up earlier for the drive.The buffalos are out so you don't even have to pay the guy to go through.If you go to the right you can get around.Where is a will is a way.I know the spot quiet well.Best of luck.

Amphibious
12-25-2011, 10:46 AM
anyone have any phone numbers for the other places to stay?

Caveman
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
The Topher contact is in your bison package. It's only a couple km from the blueberry

Drillbit
12-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Helgie Tomtar or Tomptar

Heard the Blueberry guy might've died recently in a car crash. Just gossip, but could be why he's not answering the phone.

t-bone
12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
try the tomter cabins their right next to the ranch and the halfway trail. When we were there in nov the caretakers were going to town almost every day and proved hard to get a hold of.

Apolonius
12-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Is not too bad of an idea to phone the pink mountain store.I think the same guy owns some fields on the road just before the ranch.Also you could phone the conservation office in F John.Ask for D Parker.He will be of great help.Good luck.

snareman1234
12-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Helgie Tomtar or Tomptar

Heard the Blueberry guy might've died recently in a car crash. Just gossip, but could be why he's not answering the phone.

He was driving around ripping up the roads at 2 am when i was up there....

scottwh
12-27-2011, 08:41 PM
They are there. Phone got lost. Talked to Tyleen yesterday. Try
250-788-2835 or 250-793-3791. Also she said there is not much snow
there and quads might be better than sleds. Im gonna brin both I think.

ufishifish2
12-27-2011, 10:43 PM
He was driving around ripping up the roads at 2 am when i was up there....
We arrived at 2:00AM in January. Vern was the one there doing the caretaking at that time. He did the same thing to us flooring it in his pickup as he would drive by time after time. It would have been intimidating had we not had a camper full of high powered rifles. As it was we just thought he was an idiot and swore to never stay on the Blueberry Ranch or give them one red cent.

kendoo
12-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Vern is no longer there, Glen & Tylene are trying thier best to make a go of this place & we were up there Dec 15 -19 they had 9 cabins rented out & we talked to just about everyone there we never heard any complaints other than a small mix up on reservations & 1 couple had to move to another cabin. The main complaint was very few buffalo's around maybe because of no snow. Only 2 shot that week.

Amphibious
12-28-2011, 08:52 AM
I talked to them yesterday. apparently they know who I am, my messages must have gotten through ;) they will be back that the ranch today. Thanks Scott for the updated numbers!

fearnodeer
12-28-2011, 09:02 AM
I talked to them yesterday. apparently they know who I am, my messages must have gotten through ;) they will be back that the ranch today. Thanks Scott for the updated numbers!

Good news to hear that they are all okay, when i was there this year they were very kind to us and thier daughter even drew me a picture to take home with me, Good luck with your hunt Amphibious.

doubled
12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Now go kill a buffalo and enjoy a hunt of a lifetime. Don't forget the camera.