PDA

View Full Version : Kiskantawa River

browningboy
10-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Has anyone had any luck on the kiskantawa river south of Dawson? or have the fires burnt the area out? Any info would be great.:twisted:

browningboy
10-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Does anyone have any info on the elk or moose rut up there? Anything? Please!

One Shot
10-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Having lived there before and now with outlaws up there I know first hand that yes there are moose, elk and mulies there along the Kis.I used to be able to hunt the South Peace Ranch, one of the largest in the region. Like with the mulies they are mostly on private land that borders the Kis. and you will need to do more door knocking. There is a livestock reserve nearby NW of the Kis. that offers an opportunity, not sure if you can still hunt there after the cows are out which they should be by now. Fortunately moose and elk move around and may offer more chances. You will be competing with locals, oil field hands and a few outsiders. Also look along the NW of the Kis. towards the Pine where the ag. merges with non ag. land. Was up in Aug. this year on the bike and saw 3 big bull elk and lots of 2yr+ bulls with the largest at 40-50" along the highway3/4 mile N of the Kis. They have been having a bad drought up there this year with cattle dying off, so find and hunker down by a watering hole or lick. Good luck keep us posted.:)

bigwhiteys
10-04-2006, 08:02 AM
If you are referring to the Kiskatinaw River it might be tough to get permission on South Peace Stock Farms. They very rarely allow people on there anymore. My dad knows the title holder and has permission to hunt so long as there is no livestock. The last two years they have had horses and cows in the pastures throughout the season.

You'll definitely be hunting with the locals in this area that's for sure and there is a lot of oil & gas work going on. Most Oil Field hands cannot hunt while they are working... Most companies have strict policies against firearms/hunting while on the job. Huge liability issues. They can scout though... and you can bet they do.

This area is not south of Dawson. It's Northwest.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

browningboy
10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
The area we hit the Kiskantawa river was approx 12 miles south of Dawson and you go up to the left and there is snowmobile trails everywhere and down one trail there seems to be a community cabin that people sign into. Anyhow we go way in deep there and it gets you to the banks of the river, you can hear the jetboats every once in a while. I'm not sure what the place is called, but when you turn off the hwy to the left, you go up a hill approx 1 km and there is a large clearing with a crapper and picknic table etc.. There's no farms around where we go, there's some oil and gas and some clear cuts but is the rut on now, is anything bugling or gruntin'? The guy that showed us this area originally is a local of Dawson that owns a medical supply depot, and he actually showed us his secret lick! Nice guy!:twisted: