PDA

View Full Version : Steelheading on the Campbell River/Quinsam River

Shooter Jr.
12-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Im fairly new to fly fishing but became very successful in almost no time! i had the pinks, and the chums down pretty easily, and now, I'm interested in some steelies. Can anybody help with some advice? I am new to fly fishing so anything is helpful. Im looking for any advice, mainly answers to the following questions
Any good fly patterns for winter steelhead?
Best time for some Steelies?
What kind of water is best to fish for steelies? (pools, fast running water etc.)
do tides have a big effect?
any other information is very helpful too!
Thanks in advance.

Drillbit
12-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Is there such a thing as a "ROE" fly, that's where I'd start.

Shooter Jr.
12-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Is there such a thing as a "ROE" fly, that's where I'd start.

So like an egg pattern? maybe a glowbug?

Johnnybear
12-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Shooter Jr. if your in the area stop by and talk to the folks at this shop..........

http://nilecreekflyshop.com/

I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction8-).

The funny little store with things galore........oh wait that was Johnson Hardware in Nanaimo. Same idea different store:-D.

5 spike
12-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Go for a stroll on the quiny and the campbell jr watch and learn. The boys that fish steelies in the river will give you all the info you need. Good luck buddy.

knockturnal
12-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Dark flies in dirty water. Bright flies in clear water. That, and a whole lotta patience.

spongebob
12-21-2011, 09:28 AM
I always seem to find steelhead lurking/hiding behind boulders/logs/gravelbed depressions etc. in water thats flowing about 'walking' speed, maybe just a bit quicker, and always within a couple feet of the bottom.

steel_ram
12-21-2011, 10:29 AM
It's a big jump from Pinks and Chums to Winter Steelhead on the fly. All rivers have there peak times, and for flyfishing, water levels are more important.

The main Campbell has never been great in the winter since most fish are heading for the hatchery doors up the Quinsam. Way back Xmas used to be good.

Across the hump the Gold is a little more consistant but pretty heavy fly water as is the Stamp Somass system near Port Alberni.

If your totally into fly fishing, I'd pick at some of the smaller, less fished streams (creeks). You might be in for a surprise.

The Salmon also comes to mind as good fly water. I can't speak for the present, but it was an awesome late winter run.

Flies? They definately hit egg patterns. I personally like more buggy patterns similiar to trout flies on oversized hooks to get them down.

IronNoggin
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
... If your totally into fly fishing, I'd pick at some of the smaller, less fished streams (creeks). You might be in for a surprise.

Very Sage Advice! The larger systems are downright tough to fish winter steelhead in. They rarely move after your offering, and getting down to them in the swift is generally an exercise in futility with a fly rod. NOT that it can't be done, just that it is a trifle Tough to do so.

As for terminals, I've had a lot of success with these:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/217621_10150147172086612_604901611_6895556_8336585 _n.jpg

Hand tied Roe Flies from a fellow over at Fishing With Rod. Here's the link: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=26814.0

Cheers & Best Of Luck!
Once you get Hooked on Steel, there is NO Escape!! :twisted:
Nog

5 spike
01-08-2012, 04:56 AM
Hows fishing going Eric any luck yet.

01-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Yeah, how is it?

There should be fish in there now. But i bet the water is a bit high for the fly.