PDA

View Full Version : Stuck one in koots! :D AND a RE-cap of my 2011 season!

Bc Deer Hunter
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey guys this is officially my first Buck with my X-Bow! (AND biggest todate)
:mrgreen:
This is how it goes. My dad and I usually plan a late season rifle hunt upto the Koots. This year was different. My dad, I, and our other partner allended up shooting whitie's in September!

So I guess you could say that ''satisfied'' them. So ironically they decided to cancel our trip.:evil:

So December comes around with me thinking this is my last chance to stick adeer until next year! And of COURSE with my luckonly saw one buck (3x3) that I could not get a shot at!

The day after that; my dad phoned up another friend who also bowhunt's and
the guy mentioned that he hasn’t cut a tag for this year, so with about a day of whining, and snivelling I convinced the 'old man' to invite his friend on a late season bowhunt!

Got my tag and off we went

Dec. 17: The first day of the hunt my dad drove the roads, while me and Wayne hiked the timber.After a run in with about 60 elk!! (Only 2 of them bulls ) we decided to headfor some clearings. We walked a tree line then split through a Coulee. Afterabout an hour or so of jumping does, I spooked a nice 4x4 I followed him along athicket and met up with him on the other side almost spooking him again! He poppedup and presented me with a broadside shot at about 25yards. And I DRILLED him a complete pass through anda hunt to remember! I m still shaking haha.
Enjoy

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/014.jpg

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/009.jpg

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/005.jpg

The one on the left is the buck i shot early season.
And the one on the right is the one i shot 4 days ago !

coach
12-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Congratulations!! You sound like one excited guy. Good for you. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Thanks for sharing your excitement with the rest of us.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Congratulations!! You sound like one excited guy. Good for you. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Thanks for sharing your excitement with the rest of us.
Thanks Coach. I swear im still shaking :D And they will be up bright and early.... NOT! ;) Take care-
BCDH

Young Gun
12-20-2011, 11:49 PM
congrats on the first deer with the bow, cant wait to see the pics.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-20-2011, 11:53 PM
congrats on the first deer with the bow, cant wait to see the pics.

Thank's Young gun, What a rush it is!!!!!! i'll get them up in the morning, i got the camera charging as we speak :)

hunter1947
12-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Looking forward to your pictures shooting a animal with a bow is a challenging thing to accomplish and you did this ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png.

bowhunterbruce
12-21-2011, 04:39 AM
when anyone gets an animal this late in the season ,its a great accomplishment.most of the animals have already a ton of practice avoiding the hunting mass's and made it this far.to out manouver one shows your patience and persirverance.good on ya
bhb

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Looking forward to your pictures shooting a animal with a bow is a challenging thing to accomplish and you did this ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png.

Thanks, means a lot :)

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
when anyone gets an animal this late in the season ,its a great accomplishment.most of the animals have already a ton of practice avoiding the hunting mass's and made it this far.to out manouver one shows your patience and persirverance.good on ya
bhb

Thanks Bruce, appreciate that! I'm completely hooked on bow hunting now :D I think im going to buy an real compound bow after the break! Any suggestions?

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh almost forgot this is a shed i found on the drag back.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/007.jpg

Guessing it was from last year? Anyways he a nice 5!

CanuckShooter
12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Good job young man...I get such a lift seeing how pumped you younger fellas get.

bowhunterbruce
12-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks Bruce, appreciate that! I'm completely hooked on bow hunting now :D I think im going to buy an real compound bow after the break! Any suggestions?
the best tip anyone can give you about buying any bow would be that of,going to a place that will spend the time to fit you for any number of different bows and whatever one feels like it is an extention of your arm is going to be the one for you.
be prepared to spend abit of time when doing so because once its dialed in for you,its going to be around for along time.
everyone of the newer type of bows out there are great machines to harvest game with,hoyt,bowtech,alpine,mattews,pse,are just some of the better/popular ones on the market.
seeing as your in kelowna,give either hardcore or grouse river a try.both are sponcers of this site and will take the time to do it rite.
bhb

ps.still waiting for your pics lol

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Good job young man...I get such a lift seeing how pumped you younger fellas get.

I havn't slept for 3 days now ;D I'm hooked on bowhunting. Can't wait to get a compound. Thanks for the comment-
BCDH

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
the best tip anyone can give you about buying any bow would be that of,going to a place that will spend the time to fit you for any number of different bows and whatever one feels like it is an extention of your arm is going to be the one for you.
be prepared to spend abit of time when doing so because once its dialed in for you,its going to be around for along time.
everyone of the newer type of bows out there are great machines to harvest game with,hoyt,bowtech,alpine,mattews,pse,are just some of the better/popular ones on the market.
seeing as your in kelowna,give either hardcore or grouse river a try.both are sponcers of this site and will take the time to do it rite.
bhb

ps.still waiting for your pics lol

Thanks bruce and im very familair with hardcore, thats were i purcased my excalibur. so thats good news :) I was wondering if you could suggest a compound for me in the price range of 500, shoots over 300 fps, at a 27' draw, with 50 pound draw weight? Thats what i can shoot. Just not that familiar with brands, ect.
P.s The pics are on the first page!

bowhunterbruce
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks bruce and im very familair with hardcore, thats were i purcased my excalibur. so thats good news :) I was wondering if you could suggest a compound for me in the price range of 500, shoots over 300 fps, at a 27' draw, with 50 pound draw weight? Thats what i can shoot. Just not that familiar with brands, ect.
P.s The pics are on the first page!
well good 4 you on the 4 pt'r great meat buck for sure.
like i said, go in and talk to either ken,kory,chuck at hardcore and see what all they have.they might have something used in there that may work for you around that price range.you have to find out which one feels the best in your hands first though.
if it dosen't feel right you will not have the confidence in it to be able to shoot it as well as is possible.maybe if they dont have one in there thats used,you might find the right one and put your money down on it and get out there shoveling snow or whatever it takes to make up the rest.
its all going to be up to how badly you want it and what your willing to do to get it.kinda like hunting a spicific animal,know what i mean
bhb

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
well good 4 you on the 4 pt'r great meat buck for sure.
like i said, go in and talk to either ken,kory,chuck at hardcore and see what all they have.they might have something used in there that may work for you around that price range.you have to find out which one feels the best in your hands first though.
if it dosen't feel right you will not have the confidence in it to be able to shoot it as well as is possible.maybe if they dont have one in there thats used,you might find the right one and put your money down on it and get out there shoveling snow or whatever it takes to make up the rest.
its all going to be up to how badly you want it and what your willing to do to get it.kinda like hunting a spicific animal,know what i mean
bhb

Thanks, and i might sell my x-bow to get some extra $$. Do they let you shoot them upstair's before you purchase it or no? Sorry for the hastle and thanks for helping.

bowhunterbruce
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks, and i might sell my x-bow to get some extra $$. Do they let you shoot them upstair's before you purchase it or no? Sorry for the hastle and thanks for helping.
yes of coarse they do let ya shoot upstairs,thats where you will be able to determine if its the rite one.
no hastle lil buddy,and your more then welcome. i just love seeing any new people getting into the sport and if your gonna do it then ,do it rite the first time so your not disappointed.there are also indoor shoots up at the fish and game club to help you start practicing,i'm just not sure when or what times.come feb.the start of the 3d outdoor season starts and thats where one can get real good at taking real life shots at life sized foam targets while walking around a coarse.
by next season you will feel completly confident in taking an animal and have a real good judge of distance.
goodluck

moose2
12-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Congrats on your archery success, nice buck. It sounds like you are hooked, archery hunting is addictive and teaches you so much.
Mike

TheProvider
12-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Big difference from his leftside to his right, nice shooting, good shed

Call of the Wild
12-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Well done young man!! Always a good thing to see new people young or older start hunting, now that your HOOKED solid you'll spend you school time day dreaming about your future hunting plans. Keep it up and you remind me of my first years crossbow hunting.

sawmill
12-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh almost forgot this is a shed i found on the drag back.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/007.jpg

Guessing it was from last year? Anyways he a nice 5!

That`s next years buck for you!Congrats and you make us all proud.

pescado
12-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Nice bucks Jr. You had a good season and are supply the family with meat, well done.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Congrats on your archery success, nice buck. It sounds like you are hooked, archery hunting is addictive and teaches you so much.
Mike

Eh Thanks Mike, its has change the way i look at hunting! Hopefully i'll get out more with a bow next year:)

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Big difference from his leftside to his right, nice shooting, good shed

Thank you Provider, ya that it is. I was comparing the shed and my buck yesterday and i think they might be from the same genes? :O Can't wait to get back out there!

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Well done young man!! Always a good thing to see new people young or older start hunting, now that your HOOKED solid you'll spend you school time day dreaming about your future hunting plans. Keep it up and you remind me of my first years crossbow hunting.

I was 'HOOKED' the day i was born ;) Thanks for the comment Wild, so how was your first year crossbow hunting?
Take care.
-BCDH

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
That`s next years buck for you!Congrats and you make us all proud.

That would be nice! Thank's sawmill, and have a merry christmas! :)

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Nice bucks Jr. You had a good season and are supply the family with meat, well done.

Thank you Mr. Pescado, ya our freezer is preety packed after that trip!!!!

kennyj
12-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Great buck and nice shed. Congratulations.
kenny

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Glad you like it :) thanks kenny!

Call of the Wild
12-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I was 'HOOKED' the day i was born ;) Thanks for the comment Wild, so how was your first year crossbow hunting?
Take care.
-BCDH

I don't come from a hunting family and I had to pull my best arguments to obtain my father approval to register for the Ontario hunting course. I learned the ropes of hunting by my self and the first few years I didn't harvested a deer but had my share of sightings and few opportunities but didn't know better back then. I eventually moved to Alberta in 2005 first for the hunting opportunities then the work possibilities in that specific order and since then every year my hunting season are getting better and better.

This site will keep your spirit going, my best advice while your young and don't have live expenses to deal with is to find a summer job as a wrangler anywhere in the mountains. You'll learn a lot, live great experiences, see amazing places (well other places than the koots), meet other hunters and gain more experience that way. If I knew those opportunities 10 years ago I would have found summer jobs like that and eventually with experience move to a guiding jobs.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't come from a hunting family and I had to pull my best arguments to obtain my father approval to register for the Ontario hunting course. I learned the ropes of hunting by my self and the first few years I didn't harvested a deer but had my share of sightings and few opportunities but didn't know better back then. I eventually moved to Alberta in 2005 first for the hunting opportunities then the work possibilities in that specific order and since then every year my hunting season are getting better and better.

This site will keep your spirit going, my best advice while your young and don't have live expenses to deal with is to find a summer job as a wrangler anywhere in the mountains. You'll learn a lot, live great experiences, see amazing places (well other places than the koots), meet other hunters and gain more experience that way. If I knew those opportunities 10 years ago I would have found summer jobs like that and eventually with experience move to a guiding jobs.

That sounds like a plan :D I would love to work on a ranch out in the bush! Thanks for the motivation :) BTW how can you possibly become a guide?

Call of the Wild
12-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Well I have no experience guiding but do a research with both keywords; sheep, guiding. You'll find other guys who asked question on the subject and there's one post where experienced guides gave various advices about what to bring guiding. Show some work ethics and passion when you contact outfitters by mail, phone or in person, in other words make a sell pitch about you. Even at a young age use any references you have to sell yourself, references in life are use to tell a prospective employer who you are, how you work and so on based on previous workplace. If you cut the neighbour's lawn use him, they’ll understand you’re young but that will show them something positive about you and that you want something in life.

Just some ideas but do your research on this site and talk to guides you might know or get into contact with some to have more knowledge about guiding, the more you know on the subject before you contact an outfitter the better it will be for you. Hint hint homework related to the job you want pays big time. These days most people demand without doing their homework but research any way you can think of to obtain knowledge and experience will come in time if you work for it. You have to start somewhere in life like everybody else but nobody will open doors for you if you don’t show you can and opened door yourself.

I’m sure you understand what I mean.