PDA

View Full Version : Canning Help!!!

Yak
12-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey guys,

Just bought a house, that came with a glass top stove (old one had the element style top). We have heard that you are not supposed to put your canner on glass top stoves as they can crack under the weight. Just wondering how other people have dealt with this? Anyone using an electric hot plate by any chance or something else?

Thanks for the help.

Yak

Jagermeister
12-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Propane gas stove. Very large one.

ncurrie
12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I can on my glass top stove, I even use a cast iron pan on it as well, still hasn't broke on me yet:)

Frango
12-20-2011, 09:15 PM
We have a glass top so we do all our canning on the propane camper stove..

tash
12-20-2011, 11:54 PM
You can buy a very large flat bottomed pot and use that as your canner.

The reason why you are not supposed to use the regular enameled canners is because the ridges under the canner will have air trapped in there that may not be at the same temperature as the rest of the pot, and that temperature difference can lead to a cracked top.

We ended up buying a pressure canner so that we could safely can foods like tomato sauce and chicken broth. And since we have that, I just use it as my regular canner and I just don't add the pressure regulator or lock down the lid when canning pickles etc. We have never had an issue with weight causing a problem, and that canner + full jars + water sufficient for processing weighs a LOT.

I've also heard of folks using propane stoves outside to can. Makes sense as canning heats up the kitchen like crazy, and while that may be okay in the fall it sucks in July/August!

savage99f
12-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Had to buy a new stove for canning as we had the glass top and were told not to use for canning.Anyway new stove and the wife had to get a new fridge to match. :)

TSW
12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I've canned lots of fish on my glass top and haven't had any issues at all.

Ronforca
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
My wife cans a lot of stuff on our glass top stove and no problem so far.

buck nash
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
I use an electric hot plate outside quite often when I can in the warmer months. It works just fine and it doesn't heat the house up. Also doesn't stink up the house when doing fish.

I don't have a glass top stove but was thinking of going that route as my stove is getting old. I never knew that was a problem.