PDA

View Full Version : Bush Treasures

EastKootenay
12-20-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/DAC_2.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=26062&title=dac-2&cat=500)

Everyone has probably found their share of interesting "artefacts" and treasures out in the bush and likley packed a few fossil rocks of a mountain. Last summer while hiking way up in the mountains I found a rifle cartridge out on talus rock slide. One of those places that one could easily assume that you are the only human to have ever been in that very spot. I thought the case was a 30-30 at first but it has DAC 19 16 VII stamped on the bottom. Turns out this stands for Dominion Arsenal of Canada - year 1916, Mark 7 type ammunition. It is the .303 ammunition made for WWI for the Ross and its predecessor the Lee Enfield rifle. Hard to see in the photo...but there is an arrow/triangle stamped through the "C" in DAC which means that cartridge was offically approved by the government of Canada. Finding that casing up in the mtns made me picture a fellow who returned from war enjoying his freedom...hiking up in the mountains he longed for while overseas and shooting a sheep for winter meat, then...sitting down on the rocks...remembering his lost buddies and giving thanks. I don't know if a soldier from WWI would have brought home his infantry rifle...more likely someone using vintage ammunition in an old handed down 303 rifle.....but I like the first story best :-).

Anyone else find some nifty bush treasure that made you wonder?

coach
12-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Very cool find, Eastkootenay! Yesterday, I was hiking in the hills and found the brass that my hunting partner used in October. Although I thought that was kinda neat, I suppose I could have left it for someone to find 100 years from now.

TheProvider
12-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Maybe not a particular item but I love finding old trapper cabins. Can only imagine some stories behind them

12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
"Bush" Treasures ....... makes me think of some thing COMPLETELY different.

Am I the only one?

CT

bigbear1985
12-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Found a noose with a few very old bones underneath it one top of a fairly large mountain south east of cranbrook, bones wore very old and scattered about

12-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I've never found any bush treasures, but I've certainley treasured some bush!

CanuckShooter
12-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Found a few hunting knives over the years.....one gerber in particular is a mighty fine treasure that I found....:-)

MRP
12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Maybe not a particular item but I love finding old trapper cabins. Can only imagine some stories behind them

I often wish I had taken photos and kept a record of them.

The Dawg
12-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Am I the only one?

CT

I often wish I had taken photos and kept a record of them.

Oh me too :)

Hunt'n Guide
12-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I've found a few treasures over the years. A random knife in it's sheath lying on a hillside while hunting stone sheep, a fly rod in it's case beside the trail while wrangling the horses in the middle of nowhere in the Yukon and best of all twice I've found random beer while sheep hunting!

savage99f
12-20-2011, 06:07 PM
found two old handsaws with handles ,an axe and a container with oil of some sort used for falling back in the day.They were leaning up against the tree that never got felled.. Kept one and gave one to the musuem.

tomahawk
12-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Am I the only one?

CT

Not at all!!

Foxton Gundogs
12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
My Gramps had an old photo in his collection it was taken at the head end of Pitt Lake, and was of a very rusted up old double shotgun he said it looked to be an 8 ga. It was wedged in the crotch of a tree and the tree had grown around it.It wasn't evident from the pic but he said he could make out bits of wire, the gun had been wired there pointing down an old trail. He and his partner camped near for 2 days and searched the area but found no other signs of humans.It sets the skin on the back of my neck to prickel even today when following an old trail. I am not sure what happend to the pic I will have to go thru the old family photos 1 day.

ROEBUCK
12-20-2011, 06:45 PM
A friend whilst hunting with me in the uk, found a stone age arrow head in a farmers wheat field !
we later found out this was a very common find in the area !

Nimrod
12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
I've never found any bush treasures, but I've certainley treasured some bush!

LMAO
like a diamond in the rough

Moosegetter
12-20-2011, 06:58 PM
We found $55 dollars in small bills on Poison Mnt. about 1970 They had been there at least a year or more (the bills were faded and scattered around)

35 Whelen
12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
So that's where DB Cooper landed in his parachute....LOL

35 Whelen
12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Out on a elk archery hunt with a buddy. Tracking the bull he hit and noticed what looked like a huge mushroom partially exposed off the trail. Picked it up on my way back down. A complete intact black bear skull with large canine bit marks over the top of the skull into the eye sockets...I assumed that I found a grizzly killed black bear. Going to clean it up a bit more and place it on my bookshelf in the man cave.

bigslim
12-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Sitting on a rock outcropping over looking a beautiful valley, I was glassing and eating a sandwich. Dropped the sammy and it landed at my feet in some white powder. Thought the powder was fine rock debris from erosion. Dusted of the sammy and finished it yum yum. some time later, as glassing was unproductive I started looking around the rocks and noticed what I thought was a dog license. Picked it up and read the inscription "ALBERTA CREMATORIAM" ya you do the math.

270WIN
12-20-2011, 07:35 PM
on a quading trip few years back found an old trappers cabin. was in a fenced of area. opened the door of the cabin and it was pretty much wrecked inside. On the door t there was a sheet of paper with dates going back to the early 70's. stating how long diffrent people stayed there and what they seen and shot. I have olso found knifes, old ax and a set of binos.

Last year i found this well hunting.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/76406_10150320702295268_782120267_15509718_4804308 _n.jpg

JIL_24/7
12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I left my Remington camo hat on a stump next to a burned down cabin above Jaffray this year. Someone I'm sure found it and didn't realize what a treasure it was. I called it my killing hat and I haven't come close to shooting anything since the day I carelessly forgot it. The day before with it on I shot a whitetail buck. I hope someone at least put it on and harnessed its killing power. That hat has never been shut out. Man I miss it.

Riverratz
12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
25 years ago a buddy and I scaled up into the rocks north of Germanson Landing for Goats. Spent almost a full day getting up there. Once on top, spent some time glassing and hiking around to different vantage points. We felt like we were the first humans to ever be up there.
We sat down on a rock ledge, with our feet dangling over, chewing on a chocolate bar, and looking straight down about 1000 ft. After a while, as we got up to leave, I looked down and between some rocks was something silver and black. I dug it out and it was a very old Silva compass, very weathered, faded and still functional.
It was obvious it had been there for many years previous, nearest I can figure, from sometime in the '50's. I hung on to it and have it to this day, but don't use it.
What we didn't find was Goats.........well actually we did find Goats, ..... about 5 miles away.....on a different mountain that we couldn't get to !!!

Fella
12-20-2011, 10:13 PM
An old kerosene lantern. Looked like it was at least 50 years old. I was a young idiot when I found it, so I shot it to pieces. Wish I would have kept it. My dad also caught a fishing rod.

Iron Glove
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Found afew outdoor grow ops across the river from us, do they count?? :)

TSW
12-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Sitting on a rock outcropping over looking a beautiful valley, I was glassing and eating a sandwich. Dropped the sammy and it landed at my feet in some white powder. Thought the powder was fine rock debris from erosion. Dusted of the sammy and finished it yum yum. some time later, as glassing was unproductive I started looking around the rocks and noticed what I thought was a dog license. Picked it up and read the inscription "ALBERTA CREMATORIAM" ya you do the math.

Bahahaha that's freakin hilarious!!

Out on a elk archery hunt with a buddy. Tracking the bull he hit and noticed what looked like a huge mushroom partially exposed off the trail. Picked it up on my way back down. A complete intact black bear skull with large canine bit marks over the top of the skull into the eye sockets...I assumed that I found a grizzly killed black bear. Going to clean it up a bit more and place it on my bookshelf in the man cave.

A friend and I were out hunting and came across a decent grizz skull with the same thing. Figured the bear was probably killed by a bigger bear the year prior. Took a bunch of pics and brought the skull in to the CO's to try to get a permit for it...nope, but they graciously gave us the option of buying it off them for $200...:mad:
I learned my lesson that day.

greybark
12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Years ago while bowhunting for Sheep near Dease Lake I set up my small tent at the base of a small rock ledge that was quite high up. I found a fossilized fang , the size of my thumb curved down to a sharp point .
I carefully placed it on a nearby ledge where I would not forget it . It worked , I never forgot it and it is still on that ledge .

whitetail2009
12-20-2011, 11:26 PM
1980, A friend and i were hunting up just off the KVR (Myra) , Came across a rusty sheet metal covered storage shed. about 4' by 8' built into the ground. looked inside of it and there were about 5 boxes of sweaty dynamite, (TNT) . my friend wanted to shoot it with his 22. i would not let him. . if he did i prolly wouldn't be typing this. lol . Told the cops and they said that they would have to get the bomb squad from lml.to much hassle for them back then i guess. one day i will go look for it again . if it did not get burnt up in the fire in 2003.

Weatherby Fan
12-20-2011, 11:28 PM
a couple years back while hunting near Cranbrook I had just gotten back to the truck and my partner is there waiting for me so were having a coffee yacking about what we seen and I look over and here leaning against a tree is a rifle,I look at my buddy thats not your is it......no ? Here's a Remington 700 7mm with a Leupold scope on it and still loaded.........it was almost the same gun I was packing only mine was chambered for a 7mm wby !

I'm thinking wow someone's going to be pissed and just then a truck pulls up and a guy hops out and says you didn't see a rifle leaning against a tree did you ? lmao like this one.............needless to say the guy was pretty happy ,he set it there the night b4 and took a leak hopped in the truck and buggered off !
Now I could see a guy forgetting the wife behind or even the kids...........but your rifle ???? not a chance !

300H&H
12-20-2011, 11:47 PM
While shed hunting I found a couple of old dump sites.
The first one was just a bunch of cans but I looked closer and found a old spoon with Charlie McCarthy on it.
If you don't know who he was...he was a talking "dummy".
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQOf2DuznQydbs5TTnletbH2NH04DY8 K6oZA6NWVhUKB-4P8Vc (http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=charlie+mccarthy&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1600&bih=796&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnso&tbnid=Yj5mTyEie-tfuM:&imgrefurl=http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum/burial/page/b_wsws.html&docid=vORZ78S0Fpc2KM&imgurl=http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum/burial/page/cmandeb.gif&w=180&h=180&ei=6n_xTujGHebliALF47W9Dg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=604&vpy=283&dur=422&hovh=144&hovw=144&tx=104&ty=79&sig=103228136380770627267&page=2&tbnh=131&tbnw=131&start=38&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:38)

The other site was house hold garbage from the 40s.
Found some nice old bottles to bring home.

Oh, one more.
A old mine site.
Lots of neat stuff.
Boxes & boxes of drill core samples.
I only found it because it had been clear cut.

The Dude
12-21-2011, 12:00 AM
I went through 3 years of finding full beers damn near everywhere I went in BC. Hunting, fishing, hiking.
My best friend would just shake his head in awe as I'd walk out of nowhere with a fresh cold beer in hand....again and again.... LOL

Rub
12-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Few years ago picking mushrooms on Vancouver Island, it was on an old ski hill cant remember where. I found around eight glass shafts going straight into the ground. They were about 12"x12" not sure how deep i could see moss 5' down. Then there were plastic lines comming out of the ground, followed the lines, and they ran to a upside down bottle of mercury. It looked like it had been there for several years. Still have the bottle of mercury it's about a 1\3 full. Thought that was preatty ood.

Walksalot
12-21-2011, 07:58 AM
My buddy and I were hunting East of Penticton and came across an old trail that simply materialized out of no where. The stumps were cut close to the ground and were charred from a fire many years ago. We followed it for a few hundred yards and it passed a small meadow. We were standing beside this meadow and there protruding out of the ground were several lead sealed cans. The trail disappeared as quickly as it appeared and we never did find out where it went or where it came from. The portion we followed was at least 20 feet wide. On different occasions we went back trying to find any more evedence of the trail but the forest simply swallowed it up.

EastKootenay
12-21-2011, 08:12 AM
I left my Remington camo hat on a stump next to a burned down cabin above Jaffray this year. Someone I'm sure found it and didn't realize what a treasure it was. I called it my killing hat and I haven't come close to shooting anything since the day I carelessly forgot it. The day before with it on I shot a whitetail buck. I hope someone at least put it on and harnessed its killing power. That hat has never been shut out. Man I miss it.

Send me the Google Earth coordinates and I'll go look for it for you :-)

CanuckShooter
12-21-2011, 08:21 AM
I went through 3 years of finding full beers damn near everywhere I went in BC. Hunting, fishing, hiking.
My best friend would just shake his head in awe as I'd walk out of nowhere with a fresh cold beer in hand....again and again.... LOL

When we bought our property I found a couple of stubby beer bottles, one full, they are still sitting out by the gate....in case you ever get thirsty. ;-)

BCHunterFSJ
12-21-2011, 11:15 AM
One time many years ago I turned over a flat rock on a hillside and found an old hatchet...

EastKootenay
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
One time many years ago I turned over a flat rock on a hillside and found an old hatchet...

Probably not too many "legitimate" reasons why someone might hide a hatchet. Unless maybe two freinds reconciled their differences and that's where the phrase "bury the hatchet" came from.

Toyonka
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Once when hunting moose out by Burns Lake, came across and old cabin or the remains of one. You could make out the layout by a 6" high stone walls all over the place. It really painted the picture of the cabin with the yard divided up into different areas. While walking around the old property I almost stepped in an old trap that was still set. Still have that old trap that almost bit me.

oldkoot
12-21-2011, 01:26 PM
While out shed hunting years ago I came across an old collapsed cabin. While snooping around I found this door off of their woodstove.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx73/grizzlygare/001-2.jpg?t=1324498909

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx73/grizzlygare/002-1.jpg?t=1324498831

Call of the Wild
12-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Were you cougar hunting at the liquor store by chance? Hahaha

IronNoggin
12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Now I could see a guy forgetting the wife behind or even the kids...........but your rifle ???? not a chance !

aYup! Makes ya wonder alright...

A spell back a good Inuvialuit Buddy and I chose to stop for lunch on a timbered rise overlooking a long, branched valley. Beautiful site, affording both protection from the elements, and a rather great view. Kicked around a couple of ancient decaying cans, and wondered about the Men who had left them. After lunch, my Partner wandered over to the side of the knoll that offered the best view up the valley. Was only a moment or two and I heard his excited Hey, Check this out...

There before him was an ancient lever rifle, leaning against a tree, exactly where a man would sit for the best observation point. The front sight was actually grown into the tree, and the wood wasn't much but weathered splinters, but it laid otherwise as if left there yesterday. My Buddy carried that prize home, and eventually it was transformed into a right decent working piece of art.

To this day, the subject of just Who the Man was that left his Rifle behind in such a far flung place, knowing his very survival depended on it. And just what may have befallen him to cause him to abandon it...

Still raises the odd hair for me... And I'll likely always wonder...

Cheers,
Nog

MRP
12-21-2011, 07:24 PM
one of themhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/cab3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/cab1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/cab4.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/cab2.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Blktail
12-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I too have found a couple of sheath knives that fell off of belt.

25 years ago I lost my prized binoculars up on Heather Mountain on opening day of bow season. I looked hard for hours along the trail I was on. Went back in May when the snow was gone and found them. I still hunt with them today.

I found a dead otter beside a lake a few years ago. Added the skull to my collection.

keoke
12-21-2011, 08:28 PM
I found this in the woods, complete with out house. It should be an easy one, who knows where this is?

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390342_10150431629616167_683241166_8913882_4096681 20_n.jpg

Orangethunder
12-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Found 3 pretty black .444 casings on a ridge while sheep hunting this year and 100 yards down the ridge a stubby beer can. Never thought ofbthe .444 as a sheep cartridge.

nature girl
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I found some old glass bottles. Every year deer hunting I would see the bottles, then a few years back I brought them home they are now sitting on my kitchen counter.
Then of course you always find the old rusty food tins and I always wonder who put them in that spot. A logger a hunter.

thumper1
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
While hunting antelope I found a live artillary shell in a plowed farmers field about 200 yrds from the boundary of the Suffield military base in SE Alberta a few years ago. I marked the closest fence post with an old orange tuque, and went onto the base to report it. They sent a crew out pretty quick to retrieve it!

Not too far south of there I was on the rim of a very big coulee glassing for mulies, when I looked down at my feet and realized that I was standing in an ancient 'teepee ring' - a circle of stones used to hold town the teepee edges. Only the tops of the stones were visible through the dirt. A close look around indicated that there were others nearby and that it must have been an ancient camping site. It was certainly cool to think that centuries ago there were other hunters doing exactly what I was doing from the exact same vantage point.

BCHunterTV
12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
skagit valley?

I found this in the woods, complete with out house. It should be an easy one, who knows where this is?

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390342_10150431629616167_683241166_8913882_4096681 20_n.jpg

keoke
12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
We have a winner, BChunterTV! Right before the lake. 4 years ago I went winter camping and got stuck on the way in. While digging out the truck a rubby looking guy walked passed us, my friend and I looked at each other wondering where the heck this guy is walking to. 10 min later we were on our way down the road and never saw the guy again. This year I found this cabin and made me wonder if this is where that guy headed.

scottwh
12-21-2011, 11:12 PM
A few years ago a friend and I found an old brass powder flask. Once he cleaned it up a bit, it has what we thought were US army markings on it. I'll see if he still has it and post a pic. Was kinda a cool find.

EastKootenay
12-22-2011, 06:10 AM

A spell back a good Inuvialuit Buddy and I chose to stop for lunch on a timbered rise overlooking a long, branched valley. Beautiful site, affording both protection from the elements, and a rather great view. Kicked around a couple of ancient decaying cans, and wondered about the Men who had left them. After lunch, my Partner wandered over to the side of the knoll that offered the best view up the valley. Was only a moment or two and I heard his excited Hey, Check this out...

There before him was an ancient lever rifle, leaning against a tree, exactly where a man would sit for the best observation point. The front sight was actually grown into the tree, and the wood wasn't much but weathered splinters, but it laid otherwise as if left there yesterday. My Buddy carried that prize home, and eventually it was transformed into a right decent working piece of art.

To this day, the subject of just Who the Man was that left his Rifle behind in such a far flung place, knowing his very survival depended on it. And just what may have befallen him to cause him to abandon it...

Cheers,
Nog

Wow that is a really cool story. Maybe the fellow was the great great grandfather of the guy who left the rifle leaning agaisnt the tree that Weatherby Fan found :-)

fusion
12-22-2011, 09:06 AM
About 20yrs ago, found a leather wallet in the Kettle. It looked like it was there for some time. Opened it up and found some old plastic that you couldnt read anything on it. Also had a wod of american cash that was all stuck together. I took it home, dried it and tried to separate the bills but could only get about $40.00 out of it. The rest was too mashed together.

proguide66
12-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Am I the only one?

CT

'Bush treasures' were made for bein shaved clean !...in this house anyway.:lol:

stitch
12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
'Bush treasures' were made for bein shaved clean !...in this house anyway.:lol:

I agree PG......never was a fan of the wal to wall carpet.........sometimes it's right down to the hardwood

Phreddy
12-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Was hunting in the middle of nowhere in my younger years and came across a open space in the bush. As I was walking across it, I found an old $20 bill wrapped around a twig as if it had blown there. It was very weathered on the outside but when I picked it up and unfolded it it was quite readable. Can't remember what I did with it as that was about 50 years ago.

Rock Doctor
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Found leaning against a tree while out prospecting. Was burried up to the action in Moss.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Old%20Gun/DSC02382.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Old%20Gun/DSC02377.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Old%20Gun/DSC02378.jpg

Couldn't find a serial #, so I didn't bother to register this one:mrgreen:

RD

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Found leaning against a tree while out prospecting. Was burried up to the action in Moss.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Old%20Gun/DSC02382.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Old%20Gun/DSC02377.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Old%20Gun/DSC02378.jpg

Couldn't find a serial #, so I didn't bother to register this one:mrgreen:

RD

Very cool RD!! My Dad found one very similar to that...but in better shape. My sister bought him a block of black walnut and he carved a new stalk for it and cleaned it up. He's had it for yrs but finally shot his first deer with it this fall. Accidently yanked BOTH triggers at the same time:mrgreen:!
It was made by the Occidental Gun Company.

SSS

srupp
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
way cool RD.....hmmm over the years.... found some really old blue medicine bottles with chineese writing on them up behind Tuleameen..once while bush pigging..stopped and sat on a log thinking I may have been the only human in here for many many years if ever..and laying on the log bside me were 2 handcut square nails...on a sheep hunt went to a logical spot to spot and found a pair of Ziess binos...

while spring Grizzly hunting up in the cariboo mts stopped at a small creek to fill my water bottle..and there in 4 inches of water lay a gold nuggett.2 x .bigger than a pencil eraser.....got a grizzly that day also..

Steven

Fishhound
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
srupp, I want to go with you looks like you get the good stuff and a griz on top of it

Rock Doctor
12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
way cool RD.....hmmm over the years.... found some really old blue medicine bottles with chineese writing on them up behind Tuleameen..once while bush pigging..stopped and sat on a log thinking I may have been the only human in here for many many years if ever..and laying on the log bside me were 2 handcut square nails...on a sheep hunt went to a logical spot to spot and found a pair of Ziess binos...

while spring Grizzly hunting up in the cariboo mts stopped at a small creek to fill my water bottle..and there in 4 inches of water lay a gold nuggett.2 x .bigger than a pencil eraser.....got a grizzly that day also..

Steven

The nugget in this pan is a purty nice one too:mrgreen:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Gold/DCP_2073.jpg

Ya, I found all this in the bush:cool:

RD

Rock Doctor
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Found an Opium Vial out there one time too, but don't have a pick of it. Here is what it looks like, but ours was is better shape. IE no cracks or anything

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/opiumvial.jpg

RD

Darksith
12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
never really found anything story worthy while in the bush yet, but I did find a gold ring scuba diving in egypt. The wife got in engraved for me and they told her it was close to 24k. Then since it didn't fit me, I had my buddy who does wonders with stone anchor the ring into this little peice of rock so it looks like it was cast around the rock.

http://i41.tinypic.com/r10nee.jpg

tadpole
12-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Did you scuba dive in Dahab, on the Red Sea Coast?

JIL_24/7
12-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Send me the Google Earth coordinates and I'll go look for it for you :-)

49 degrees 25' 43.11" N
115 degrees 11' 47.10" W

Darksith
12-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Did you scuba dive in Dahab, on the Red Sea Coast?
Im pretty sure it was Dahab that I found the ring at. Trying to remember, I dove so many different sites that trip. Dahab was the shore dive with the extensive network of caves where you started deep and came up through the caverns right?

Kody94
12-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Found a couple old 30-40 Krag cases on a little ridge overlooking a nice elk meadow, south of Fernie. Based on the lichen/moss, etc, I'm guessing they were pretty old.

Found a whole pile of stubbies once that were in great shape. I took them home, cleaned them up real good and used them for bottling u-brew. Eventually gave them to a friend that used them.

I like to leave coins on top of big rocks on ridgelines whenever I am in places I think people don't get to very often. I try to use coins from the current year. If you find one it could be mine.

Mtn Man
12-24-2011, 11:33 PM
kinda of bizzare, was in the middle of nowhere , sat down on a fallen log, had a bite to eat, I noticed something tucked under
the log, I pulled it out and it was a sears catalogue, i figure it was either a poor mans ass wipe, or a cheap mans playboy.

cloverphil
12-25-2011, 12:37 AM
two years ago while hiking around the back side of a pond I found a beaver's skull with the front buck teeth still intact, I really need to go back and get it . . .

snowhunter
12-25-2011, 08:17 AM
While hunting north of Boston Bar, on the west side of Fraser River, I came upon two old "Playboy Magazine" laying on the hill side. The front covers were weathered, but the centerfolds were still in good shape :)

Always collect the old spent and weathered cartridges, mostly the 303 British and the 30-30, which I treasure. Sometimes I reload these old cases.

Once meet a local hunter near Ootsa Lake, who was carring a $ 2000.- German binocular around his neck, and he told me that he found it while hunting, laying in the midlle of a logging road, and told me further "that he could still hear the original owner swearing over his loss".

west250
12-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I too have found a couple of sheath knives that fell off of belt.

25 years ago I lost my prized binoculars up on Heather Mountain on opening day of bow season. I looked hard for hours along the trail I was on. Went back in May when the snow was gone and found them. I still hunt with them today.

I found a dead otter beside a lake a few years ago. Added the skull to my collection.

Found a nice faller's axe on the same mountain. Did you ever see the beautifully matched 4x4 skull I wedged between two trees?

deer nut
12-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Found an old telegraph insulator up the Toba River near an old decayed cabin. Spooky place! All overgrown with alders and smelling of mildew and bears!

Blktail
12-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Found a nice faller's axe on the same mountain. Did you ever see the beautifully matched 4x4 skull I wedged between two trees?

No I never saw it. Heather Mountain is a big place and I haven't been there for 15 years.

Schutzen
12-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Now that right there is a useful talent Dude! LOL

Tikka270
12-25-2011, 06:14 PM
I was out hunting with my dad on the island around 12 years ago and we went up a road he was on the year before. The road was all overgrown and kinda rough eventually it cleared a bit and there was a noticeable bump in the middle of the road. So he gets out and wipes the snow off of a cooler and he says "I can't believe it's still here" opens it up and it's full of beer. I guess he stopped on that road the year before and had lunch on his tailgate and put the cooler on the ground and forgot about it.

buckshot
12-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Ten years ago or so, fishing a small lake below Mt Washington on Vancouver island, I looked for a spot in the creek feeding the lake where I could dunk a couple cans of beer to keep them cold. When I found the right pool I leaned into the dark water to wedge my Luckys between the rocks. To my delight, my hands came in contact with the smooth skin of four bottles of beer that had been forgotten by another fisherman. Hard to beat on a hot Saturday.

zoominjr
12-26-2011, 10:56 PM
In 2004 I had a run of luck finding treasures. On a spring grizzly hunt I found a obsidian point near where we were camping. Then while hiking along the toe of a mountain came across a fallen Telegraph Pole with four insulators still attached. These were from the old Yukon Dominion Telegraph Line that went from Quesnel to Dawson City, Yukon. Later that summer on a sheep hunt up in the alpine and stopping for a rest I leaned over to reduce the weight of my pack and looked straight down to see laying there an obsidian point. All this occured up in the Iskut and Dease Lake country.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Obsidian_Point_May_2004.jpg
First Obsidian Point of 2004.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Telegraph_Insulators_May_2004.jpg
Yukon Telegraph line insulators.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Obsidian_Point_Aug_2004.jpg
Obsidian Point No. 2 beside a 30-06 shell

ianwuzhere
12-26-2011, 11:28 PM
found some old 30:30 shot brass pounded into an aspen tree with initials carved into the tree and the date of 1954 in the middle of nowhere ne of babine lake. the tree has grown around the brass-woulda make a kewl picture..

TSW
12-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Here's a pic of the grizz skull Zoominjr and I found.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Grizzly_Skull_1.jpg

Gumsehwah
03-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Coolest thing I ever found in the woods was theold, rusty, moss-covered carcass of a model T wedged between two trees. The trees had grown around it.

bellagrinder
03-29-2012, 10:56 PM

maybe he thought you were secretly holding out? haha

Jagermeister
03-30-2012, 12:53 AM
My uncle, now deceased, lived most of his adult life in Denare Beach, Saskatchewan. Among his many endeavours was prospecting which took him a fair distance north of FlinFlon and Creighton. He said that he sat down to have his lunch along side a river. As he was doing that, he happened to gaze up into one of the semi-stunted trees and to his amazement, there, hanging off a branch was a frying pan. He got it down and found it to be a pure copper pan and I believe he said it had a Hudson Bay Co. stamp on it. He speculated that it was forgotten long ago by a coureur des bois, at least 200 years prior if not longer.
He thought that the tree the pan was hanging was likely quite small when the pan was forgotten. The trees in that area do not grow very fast and the height of mature trees hardly exceeded 20 feet. I don't know what he did with the pan, it may be in the museum in Denare Beach as he had a hand in founding that entity.
As for me, I have found the odd trinket here and there, nothing substantial. However, my wife and I were boating on Little Shuswap Lake a couple or so year back. The spring flood was still on and as we cruised slowly up the lake, we spotted beer cans floating scattered about in the debris line. I asked her to take the fishnet and retrieve them as they came along side. The first can was an Old Style Pilsner can and suprisingly, it was full, never opened. It never occurred to me that a can full of beer would float. Bonus I told her. Then along came the second and it too was full. Then a third, fourth, fifth and finally the sixth. All full and unopened. Somebody must have been pissed when they discovered that their beer had fallen off the bank end of their boat sometime before.

The Dude
03-30-2012, 01:14 AM
maybe he thought you were secretly holding out? haha

Last time I found some Gatorade in a cold creek along with some full Buds, so he was pretty happy. We were out of water sheep hunting, and man, did they taste GOOD! :D

Jelvis
03-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I found an old old mash shetty, stuck in under an old broken down wood bridge up Tranquille river in the back bush area.
It was rusty but I sharpened it up. It has a wood handle, I still got it and take it with me to make trail.
Jelapeno .. Awesome find must be fifty years old or more ..

Gateholio
03-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Last year pg66 and I were fishing with a freind who had spent early August in northern BC and Alberta fishing and he said he came across a 6 pack carefully hidden in a stream, so they drank them. We were like : You arseholes drank some sheephunters beer!! Haha

kgriz
03-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I keep finding all of these little cameras strapped to the trees in some of my favorite spots.....Don't know what I'll do with them all..............

Steelwheels
03-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Little piles of white paper..usually under a horizontal downed tree or beside a flat stump....don't think it's geocaching??

The Dude
03-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Little piles of white paper..usually under a horizontal downed tree or beside a flat stump....don't think it's geocaching??

Those are trail markers for Turd Burglars.

Glenny
03-30-2012, 11:19 PM
A hunting buddy gave me a knife he had found in the bush. I was really happy to get that form him and thought what a great keep sake. I promptly lost it about a half hour later.

Jagermeister
03-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Geocaching your poop pile. Wonder how popular that would be? You take one, you leave one.

The Dude
03-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, when you think about it, with that activity, when you "take" one, you by definition "leave" one at the same time..........
I think we wandered off trail again, LOL

greenhorn
03-31-2012, 07:58 AM
I've found:
-A hub cap off a chevy silverado in the middle of the bush
-More tie downs and ratchet straps than I can count
-A sweet set of Fiskar shears that are perfect for separating deer/bear joints
-An Echo hand saw in mint condition
-Wrenches
-Oakley sunglasses

I think there's been other stuff too.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
03-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Two years ago, my Uncle and I went ATVing and hunting. After a long drive in the bush in the middle of nowheres, we found a big cabin. Inside the 4 doors cabin, in the middle of the floor, we saw a large square hole. It was really weird. I not know why they would have a deep hole in the middle of their cabin floor. Outside was a small shed.

I have found lots of cabins in the bush, but never one with a deep, deep hole in the floor.

I found an small axe on a logging road, an old glass ketchup bottle near the KVR, old brown beer bottle, old rusty stove and rusty metal cans.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/MountainMan1988/OldCabin1.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/MountainMan1988/OldCabin2.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/MountainMan1988/OldCabin3.jpg

oldkoot
03-31-2012, 10:59 AM
The hole is a root cellar to keep things from freezing in the winter months. Looks like it would have been a beauty in it's day.

RiverOtter
03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Root cellars were also sometimes packed with ice blocks, to act as coolers in the summer months. Another great way to keep scavengers out of your food supply as well.

RayHill
03-31-2012, 11:31 AM
That's for the Silence of the Lambs! "Moisturize, rub the lotion on the body"

Ray

Lone Ranger
03-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Found a noose with a few very old bones underneath it one top of a fairly large mountain south east of cranbrook, bones wore very old and scattered about

I found the remains of a bunch of older bones (5-10 yrs I'd say) scattered amongst the remains of boots and clothing. Any cotton was gone but the person was wearing some rain gear which survived sitting out in the weather. Caught my attention for sure. LR

Gateholio
03-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Did you guys finding the bones ever find out if someone was missing?

Lone Ranger
03-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I guess I should have contacted the RCMP directly but I did do an online search of the area and couldn't find anything. LR

boxhitch
03-31-2012, 03:06 PM
And you left it at that ? WTF !?
I call a BS story, nobody right would find that and not report it.

GoatGuy
03-31-2012, 03:59 PM
And you left it at that ? WTF !?
I call a BS story, nobody right would find that and not report it.

We gotta ship you over some water from Crazybrook, instant insanity sauce.

Wouldn't be surprised at all. Somebody probably told a friend about their secret hunting spot for big EK mulies.

Blktail
03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
I found the remains of a bunch of older bones (5-10 yrs I'd say) scattered amongst the remains of boots and clothing. Any cotton was gone but the person was wearing some rain gear which survived sitting out in the weather. Caught my attention for sure. LR
What kind of a dumbass wouldn't report that. Do you think the family might want to know. Guess there are no suicides in your family. Dumbass!

Jagermeister
03-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Two years ago, my Uncle and I went ATVing and hunting. After a long drive in the bush in the middle of nowheres, we found a big cabin. Inside the 4 doors cabin, in the middle of the floor, we saw a large square hole. It was really weird. I not know why they would have a deep hole in the middle of their cabin floor. Outside was a small shed.

Old gold miners were known to build their cabins over top of their shafts. This way, no one would know where to look for their dig or when they were digging.

And like the others, I find it disturbing that you would not report a find of this nature. I think that you should just hustle your ass in and report it Monday morning with all the particulars that you remember of the site and provide all the assistance that you can to make sure the site is located. I will save my name calling for later if you fail to tell us you did the right thing. Expect to take some heat from the cops over the delay, but it's better late than never.

Jelvis
03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
I lost some money so if anyone finds a hundred dollar bill that's brown in color and a fifty was red plus some green twenties in Canadian currency please they are the ones I lost.
Thanx in advance
Jelly please post on here if you found any.

west250
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
I lost some money so if anyone finds a hundred dollar bill that's brown in color and a fifty was red plus some green twenties in Canadian currency please they are the ones I lost.
Thanx in advance
Jelly please post on here if you found any.

Funny, I found some of those out in the woods while I was having a crap. Thought they were mighty handy, sorry about the mess... =]

Jelvis
03-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Lost some toonies and loonies also west250 how did they work for you?
Jel

Steelwheels
03-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Found a $ bill folder out on a old trail..folder was brand new with no ID.. It contained $19??.00 in large bills..tried but could not find owner.. I thought it was very strange to have a brand new folder with no iD..but still had the price tag attached....

teebee
03-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Was hiking along an abandoned railbed (no rails or even ties) along the old summerland hwy,off to the side in a clearing found an old fire pit under pine needles just some rocks poking through, found a bunch of super rusted cans and an old cast frying pan, my imagination was running wild!

Ryan Olson
03-31-2012, 08:38 PM
I found 800 slightly used shotgun shells and an old washing machine earlier today!

hunter1993ap
03-31-2012, 08:42 PM
ive found a knife, makes up for a nice buck knife i lost.... ive also found an old .22 laying under a big fir tree. the gun was rusted bad and the stock was decomposed.

Jagermeister
03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Was hiking along an abandoned railbed (no rails or even ties) along the old summerland hwy,off to the side in a clearing found an old fire pit under pine needles just some rocks poking through, found a bunch of super rusted cans and an old cast frying pan, my imagination was running wild!
The old Summerland highway ran from Summerland to Trepannier down along the lake. Later it was moved up to where it presently lies.
If you are talking about the road that runs from Summerland through Falder and on to Princeton, then that is the KVR railbed. There were camp kitchens set up along the right of way during construction of the railroad. Go above Naramata and you will find stone ovens that they baked the bread in.

Lone Ranger
03-31-2012, 09:26 PM
What kind of a dumbass wouldn't report that. Do you think the family might want to know. Guess there are no suicides in your family. Dumbass!

Dumbass? No. There's more to the story than I let on and it was reported, just not directly to the RCMP. Just odd things you see in the bush I guess, and I'm leaving my end of it at this. It was dealt with. LR

bccanadian
03-31-2012, 09:33 PM
That's for the Silence of the Lambs! "Moisturize, rub the lotion on the body"

Ray

"it puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!"

chinooker
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM
That looks like the cabin my parents buit in the 70's by Silver Lake

trapperRick
08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Found and old cabin in Sask while hunting in the Cypress Hills and there was an old Sears catalog, in it a 30-30 Winchester priced at $10.95.

Iron Sighted
08-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Found an Opium Vial out there one time too, but don't have a pick of it. Here is what it looks like, but ours was is better shape. IE no cracks or anything

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/opiumvial.jpg

RD

I have one at home that looks exactly like that, was given to my dad by friend of his who found it decades ago somewhere on V.I. I'll have to ask him to tell me the story about how his friend found it. No cracks in the one I have either.

Hillbros_96
08-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Found a backpack 30 km's off the nearest FSR in the middle of nowhere and no signs of foul play. The backpack had the guy's ID and a couple of thousand dollars in it. Promptly took it the Mounties. It turned out to be a worker flying out in a helicopter accidentally dropped it out of the chopper while flying buy. He was happy to get his money back, but not enough to give a reward.

Kilwinning
08-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Was hunting above Lyton 20 or so years ago ,and found this woman sleeping in a pile of rocks .turns out she was trying to get closer to God :shock:(That`s what she said ) she almost did she was up there for over a week when we found her ,We had hiked up the day before and there was over 4" of snow and she had nothing but the clothes on her back,said she had slept under a log the night before .took her back to camp ,fed her and walked her back down the hill and drove her to lyton.On the way down we met two guys on horseback who looked at us kind of weird (probably thought our girl friend looked kind of scruffy)we stopped in their camp on the way back and told them what was going on ,they figured she might not have made an other night. I would not exactly call her a "bush treasure" but that is the strangest thing I ever found in the bush.

BCptown
08-31-2012, 01:00 AM
atv or dirtbike down the old KVR and you may find some old railroad spikes .. very cool as they all have a story behind them!

4pointer
08-31-2012, 03:12 AM
Was hunting above Lyton 20 or so years ago ,and found this woman sleeping in a pile of rocks .turns out she was trying to get closer to God :shock:(That`s what she said ) she almost did she was up there for over a week when we found her ,We had hiked up the day before and there was over 4" of snow and she had nothing but the clothes on her back,said she had slept under a log the night before .took her back to camp ,fed her and walked her back down the hill and drove her to lyton.On the way down we met two guys on horseback who looked at us kind of weird (probably thought our girl friend looked kind of scruffy)we stopped in their camp on the way back and told them what was going on ,they figured she might not have made an other night. I would not exactly call her a "bush treasure" but that is the strangest thing I ever found in the bush.

Thats funny..in 2007, my brother and I found an older lady near Lytton too while we were hunting. She asked for water so we gave her some and a few sodas. She looked really scuffy like you said. Missing teeth and looked like she had self made bite marks on her arms. We chatted for awhile but she parted ways eventually after chilling with us in camp. She was seen by us all weekend at various areas in that general area. She had some old clothes and two milk jugs(that we filled). Kinda weird..might be the same lady??

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
08-31-2012, 08:56 PM
This year, my uncle and I found a old, rusty cooking pan, a rusty shovel and glass bottles near the base of an old cabin, and antlers too. Lots of interesting items to be found in the wilderness! We will be looking again this Fall while out hunting.

Sniperdan
08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
I've found a few treasures over the years. A random knife in it's sheath lying on a hillside while hunting stone sheep, a fly rod in it's case beside the trail while wrangling the horses in the middle of nowhere in the Yukon and best of all twice I've found random beer while sheep hunting!

HEEYYYY!!!! I left that beer there to get cold! lol

huntingmom
08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
My daughter found $2.75 near our campsite a few days ago. She was very happy to put that in her piggy bank.

Kilwinning
08-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Thats funny..in 2007, my brother and I found an older lady near Lytton too while we were hunting. She asked for water so we gave her some and a few sodas. She looked really scuffy like you said. Missing teeth and looked like she had self made bite marks on her arms. We chatted for awhile but she parted ways eventually after chilling with us in camp. She was seen by us all weekend at various areas in that general area. She had some old clothes and two milk jugs(that we filled). Kinda weird..might be the same lady??

Could be ,I think she was probably around forty or so and it was at least 25 years ago.

mpotzold
01-01-2017, 11:16 PM

Cheers,
Nog

Great thread!:smile:

Read about this find just recently. 1873 Winchester repeating rifle capable of firing 15 shots without reloading that became known as the “weapon that won the West”.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2919801/Uncovering-past-Forensic-experts-examine-132-year-old-rifle-propped-against-tree-Nevada-desert-bid-unravel-mystery-unlikely-discovery.html
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03167/Winchester-Rifle_3167072b.jpg

quadrakid
01-02-2017, 08:19 PM
The old holes found dug in old cabins were their root cellars.

Chopper
01-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Wow ......

ssor77
01-02-2017, 11:59 PM
http://s44.photobucket.com/user/ssor77/media/IMG_20170102_220526402_zpsin8agoqx.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Found this can of bear spray which has been chewed by a bear while over on an old logging road. Must have been dropped. by a forestry worker. Either that or that's all that was left of the poor guy!

tigrr
01-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Found an ATV in the bush. It had the insurance papers in it. A buddy called the company on the papers and they had 4 atv's on a trailer stolen 3 months prior. They came and got it. Keys in it and all. Dead battery though.
Found an over under shotgun in a lake. Police said I could claim it if they didn't have a claim on it in 4 months. Called 4 months later and it had disappeared. No record of it.

TyTy
01-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Found an inner tube with an unopened lucky in the cup holder in the Zeballos River in 2007. Does it get any better than that?! Still floating on it to this day

Buckmeister
01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Found an ATV in the bush. It had the insurance papers in it. A buddy called the company on the papers and they had 4 atv's on a trailer stolen 3 months prior. They came and got it. Keys in it and all. Dead battery though.
Found an over under shotgun in a lake. Police said I could claim it if they didn't have a claim on it in 4 months. Called 4 months later and it had disappeared. No record of it.

You would think some kind of a lost and found report would have been made, and that you as the finder could ask for a copy of that report?

Buckmeister
01-03-2017, 09:34 PM
I found all kinds of stuff this past hunting season: a swede saw, a bicycle for the kids, a small weathered wooden box (I know of a lady who buys that stuff for her flower shop), just to name a few things.

264mag
01-03-2017, 09:57 PM
My daughter and I found an iPhone laying in the grass when deer hunting. It still had a small charge in it and we were able to see a text message with a number on it with the phone locked. My daughter sent a text to the number and we left the phone with the bartender at the cariboo lodge in Clinton. Within a couple hours the owner picked up his phone. I left my business card with it and a couple days later I received a gift card to Cabelas.

One good deed deserves another!

Thanks for the gift card Kip!

huckleberry
01-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Found a orange "OLIN" marine flare gun back in the Wildhorse a few years ago. I was crawling under blowdowns miles from any road in a back basin. Always wondered about who lost it, and why they were packing it back there.

tipper
01-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Found a really good looking tree planter girl way back in the middle of no where. Gave her a couple beer and had a good bullsh*t. She had just found two partially buried black bear cubs so was a little worried.

Gr8 white hunter
01-05-2017, 08:18 AM
That's funny we were hunting up Dease lake 25 years ago while I was walking the Jade mine road I found a obsidian skinning tool, it's about 4" long by 3" wide.

Big Lew
01-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Other than a variety of Indigenous artifacts, including a jade chisel and a grinding hammer with bowl,
I found a 32 or 36 pounder cannon ball along the north shore of the Fraser River in Whonnock. It was
a bit unusual in that most of the shots fired from early vessels were from much smaller cannons or
were grape shot using a variety of material to scare the natives or to do great damage a close range.

panhead
01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Was sitting around a campfire with some hunting buddies and looking into the coals one time. One of my buds worked for an international moving company and had brought up a box of excelsior (try and find that stuff nowadays) to start the fires with. I noticed a small object in the coals that was glowing cherry red. I never mentioned it but took a stick and flipped it out of the fire where it hit a rock and broke into many pieces. My moving company bud knew instantly what it was. He had moved a well to do family over from South Africa and a rare piece of Goss china could not be found. The owner was very upset at it's loss as it was part of a complete set. Hope they are not still looking for it ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“If I could read her mind, I would be horrified” — John Horgan speaking about Premier Christy Clark.

Pablothemagnificent
01-05-2017, 01:55 PM
A few years ago, I was hunting for Big horn along a trail north of Lillooet, between the Fraser and the West Pavillion Road, along with my son and son-in-law. We were quading towards Leon Creek and came upon a dilapidated Catholic church and long-abandoned settlement. We walked inside as rats scurried off. We stood silently, gazing out through the broken windows to the Fraser and the blue sage bending in the fall wind. I'm not Catholic, but it was a little melancholic for me, so I said, "Hey guys, we're going to sing the Doxology, which we did in harmony. "There, it's still a church", I said, as we closed the door and continued on.

Gr8 white hunter
01-05-2017, 08:23 PM
My Dad used to run the lathe peeling logs at the BCFP plywood mill in Victoria and he would run into cannon balls all the time,they were embedded in the big old growth fur tree's.

westcom
01-17-2017, 11:16 AM
Found side of Fraser river 2017

bcsteve
01-17-2017, 03:47 PM
My Dad used to run the lathe peeling logs at the BCFP plywood mill in Victoria and he would run into cannon balls all the time,they were embedded in the big old growth fur tree's.
That's pretty cool!

Buckmeister
01-20-2017, 02:55 PM
A few years ago, I was hunting for Big horn along a trail north of Lillooet, between the Fraser and the West Pavillion Road, along with my son and son-in-law. We were quading towards Leon Creek and came upon a dilapidated Catholic church and long-abandoned settlement. We walked inside as rats scurried off. We stood silently, gazing out through the broken windows to the Fraser and the blue sage bending in the fall wind. I'm not Catholic, but it was a little melancholic for me, so I said, "Hey guys, we're going to sing the Doxology, which we did in harmony. "There, it's still a church", I said, as we closed the door and continued on.

Wow, I can feel your melancholy through this story. Thanks for sharing. That was pretty neat.

saskbooknut
01-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Found a picaroon and a narrow square spade in long abandoned logging slashes - the narrow spade is still with me, and still gets used for latrine digging on hunting trips.
One abandoned elk hide caused me a lot of grief, the dog ate some of it, and threw up all over the front seat of my 1977 Chev pickup.
I remember a lot of interesting old machinery and vehicles abandoned on Sooke logging slashes - Malloch and Moseley and others. I am remembering 40+ years ago. I am sure that much has changed since I hunted there.

Edzzed
01-21-2017, 10:31 AM
I was riding my motorcycle off road and stopped to see the view from a cliff. Looked down and about 250 feet away was a white ford truck. Hiked down to it and ripped the rear plate off it since I had no pen or paper to record it. I took that to the police station and told them it will most likely be a stolen truck as there were no bodies in it nor any visible blood in it. Guessing they pushed it off the cliff. never heard back from the cops and yes they wanted my ID. A month later I went back and the truck was gone and a barrier installed.

Bonz
01-21-2017, 10:40 AM
found quite a few stolen vehicles. was surprise to hear they just leave them
last one i took cops to the bush to show was a newer bmw, found over the edge with a bunch of other older rusted out vehicles. a full dump site for stolen cars.
they knew about the location already. this bmw was still in mint shape. no idea how it mae it to the top, us in 4x4 were slipping even. and hours up the hill, obvious had a help and a ride out.
from the top it actualy looked like a body slumped over the steering wheel. freeked me and buddy out. had to go look though to be sure. i crawl down to the car and find out its the head rest showing and passnger sid was missing. that looked like a head through the thick bush.
everything was held up by the other vehicles below so was leary on reaching in the car window that was open incase it all slid out on us.
still had ins papers in it so i took them, ended up guy lived only a few blocks from my house.
reported it to cops. and called me back saying its stolen and take us out there to show us where it is.
after we did all this i asked what happens to these vehicles. dam parts car worth a few bucks. he told me they leave the,m. recovery isnt worth the cost apperently.
not a damage panel on the car. cept front end from impact, and was minor, thousands of dollars left as parts for the taking.
wish i had proper recovery gear at the time to strap it off so it didnt slide away, and tear it apart for parts.

Buckmeister
01-21-2017, 03:47 PM
A few years ago I found a burnt wreck of a truck not far from where we were living at the time. It was down a nasty trail full of mud holes. They had tried to run the truck over some small trees when it eventually got snagged up on one. I recorded the plate number and reported it. The police phoned me later to say it had been stolen from Kamloops about a month earlier. I dragged it out of there using a tractor, a tow company came out and picked it up a day or two later. The mud hole the truck had been sitting in had oil floating in it.

^^^^^^^ I am surprised they would not recover vehicles anymore as this could pose an environmental hazard.

westcom
01-24-2017, 10:37 AM
car found on side of fraser